Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53416 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #700 on: January 18, 2022, 09:34:32 PM »
I will add that when I got I&W back in '92-ish, and while I instantly loved the whole album, UaGM was the song that took me the longest to fully appreciate.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline NoFred

« Reply #701 on: January 18, 2022, 10:08:20 PM »
30. Beyond This Life has it all and more, love seeing this even if I say everyone else has it relatively underrated (my #2). A fantastic song that delivers on the tracks that come before it. The messiest/loosest part of scenes 1-4 which might work against it as a standalone, but works very well in both the musical and lyrical narrative. By BTL things have opened up and unfolded enough that it’s the spot for a track that tries to be a bigger journey, and shows off what everyone in the band has to offer, writ large… Long my #1 until a couple years ago when I swapped it with another older song that I’m honestly surprised hasn’t been ranked yet.

29. Under A Glass Moon I’ve got at #18. The greatness of SFAM 1-6 goes for I&W 5-8 too. Just amazing runs of music.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #702 on: January 18, 2022, 10:24:24 PM »
34 The Root of All Evil  #45

What I enjoy about Octavarium is it's grand concept centering around the musical Octave. Beginning from the last note of ITNOG from ToT, The Root of All Evil begins with the same sounds as it's predecessor 12-step Suite song, This Dying Soul. The ambience intro is a great way to introduce the album, and also tie in the next steps in the 12-step suite saga. I will say this, this song has helped me a lot with dealing with my alcohol issues. That energy and desperation in the lyrics comes across really well, especially in the live versions I have heard.

33 Misunderstood #18

6DOIT is my favorite album for one specific reason. The subject and theme of mental struggles, issues, and mentalities are why I love this album. The atmosphere and mood of this song portrays that desolation perfectly. I love the way it builds up into this grand outro with the guitars going crazy with noises. I covey that to mean that personal struggle the person experiences by being "Misunderstood" by others, to where they become isolated and go from "belief to delusion". If there is one song really want to see live from my favorite album, it'd be this one.

32 Wait For Sleep #72

I instantly fell in love with this song when I heard it on Live in Tokyo. The tone KM decides to use here is what defines Images and Words. I love the way JLB sings as well, his voice really shines on this song. I also attribute this as the song that is playing behind the image on the cover art. It fit's perfectly and is a reason I consider KM being a big essential loss for the bands overall tone that defines their first 3 albums, and why FII sounds the way it does. I was so happy to have witnessed this in Dallas on the last stop of the entire tour, where we also got to hear Hourglass (which I will never forget, because I did not expect them to do this song at all).

31 Disappear #21

This song captures the mood and atmosphere of grief and sadness, especially in the last verse. It's a great way to end the first disc, and it transitions great into the grand epic of the album. I first heard it on Live at Budakon, but I prefer the album version more. The lower vocals in the outro verse captures that somber sadness a lot, and I listen to that vocal part more so than the lead vocals during that verse.

30 Beyond This Life (Did Not Rank)

Regardless this did not rank, It's still a great song live. The part I enjoy most about it is the chorus. I enjoy that vibe created by the guitar and the vocals. It was fun to sing along to live when they played it on the Distant Memories tour.

29 Under A Glass Moon (Did Not Rank)

For some reason, I just can't get into this song. I know it's a good song, and I also did enjoy it when they played it live. This is a song that I don't really pay attention to the lyrics meaning at all much, but I enjoy the vocal melodies. This song is really bouncy in a way with the rests and rhythms.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline 425

« Reply #703 on: January 18, 2022, 10:39:23 PM »
I've been very busy this last week with a cross-country move, and I've fallen well behind, so please excuse the long catch-up post...

44. Another Day
My ranking: #24

This is such a beautiful song. It's very emotionally powerful, and it has a great vocal performance by JLB. The whole "They took pictures of our dreams" section is unreal.

43. Fall into the Light
My ranking: #52

The best song on Distance over Time in my book—it's the one that makes me pause and take notice.. The first section is pretty good, and then the instrumental section takes it to a higher level. Kind of has a Hell's Kitchen vibe in that they find a theme that really works, and then build up that theme over the course of a couple of minutes.

42. Hell's Kitchen
My ranking: #80

Hey, speaking of it! Would you believe I wrote the Hell's Kitchen reference into the previous writeup before I knew it was up next?

I think I might have under-ranked this one by just a bit. I've always had a bit of trouble knowing what to do with it, because it feels like it's somewhere in between a standalone song and a transition piece. But whatever it is, it's good at it. I like buildup, and this is a pretty good one. It also leads in really well to Lines in the Sand.

41. These Walls
My ranking: #43

This song connected with me a lot when I first got into the band, both musically and lyrically. It's not one I think about much anymore, so there's a sense in which this is a bit of a legacy ranking, but I think the song merits it. I really enjoy the mix of heavy riffs and melodic keyboards at the beginning, and I think this is an under-appreciated JLB performance.

In my head, I always heard a MP backing vocal under the chorus (in the style of the "Never could have just a part of it" verse of TROAE), and it always surprised me that he didn't record a part there.

40. Endless Sacrifice
My ranking: #59

A few years ago, this probably would have made my top 50—and really, it did come close, since a nine-space gap on my list is pretty minute. In fact, listening to it now, I probably should have gone higher on this one and kept it in there.

Like most of Train of Thought, it really manages to go all-out with heaviness and technicality while also maintaining a really strong melodic sensibility. I really like Petrucci's riffing all over this song. The riffs under the verses that whet the appetite for the heavy chorus, the instrumental section, all of it is awesome. I get why the instrumental section loses some people (like TDS and ITNOG), but I love the side of DT where they just go off and do something like this. (It's honestly something I missed for most of the 2010s, and I'm hoping it's back at least to some extent for the 2020s.)

39. Barstool Warrior
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #112)

Like most of DoT, this one just doesn't quite hit the mark for me. It falls into my "good, but doesn't stand out" range. I'm not surprised to see it this high, though, knowing how much praise it got when the album came out.

For me, it's kind of a weird song in that there are parts I really like, and parts that just completely fall flat for me. The guitar solos sprinkled across this one are really good, as is the piano break. Like Kev, though, I just don't feel most of the vocal melodies. The chorus just feels too generic to give it the impact that it's going for (incidentally, I also feel this way about S2N). The final section starts off really well with "Promises made..." but then falls flat with "No one can save you" through the end. The result is such an inconsistent experience that listening to it just now, I changed my mind multiple times over the duration of the song about whether I had been unfair in ranking it this low.

38. Overture 1928
My ranking: #31

Now we're talking! I think this is an incredible overture that transcends the form to become a compelling instrumental piece in its own right. I think even if I'd never heard any other Metropolis anything, I'd find this song thrilling. Of course, in context it's even greater, particularly with the reprise of the Watches and Thoughtfully Smiles melody, and just the energy that it carries throughout and really drives home at the end, leading into Strange Deja Vu (when a lot of overtures kind of peter out and rely on the next song that get the energy back up).

37. Outcry
My ranking: #51

This just missed my own top 50, but I definitely approve of this selection. It's one that really didn't connect with me when I first heard ADTOE, but grew a lot over the subsequent years. I really like Elite's post analyzing why he likes it, and that speaks to a lot of what I like, too. The integration of the music with the lyrics definitely caught my ear over the years. And I agree that it's just really good songwriting.

Interesting that Outcry has such consensus appeal as to be on all lists but one. It's deserved, but I'm not sure I'd have expected it.

35. The Bigger Picture
My ranking: #10

This is another one for which I thought I might have the highest ranking, but it's cool to see that I did not! Nice choice, Ben_Jamin! This song just really resonates with me on a really deep level, and has amazing songwriting. I really like the piano on this one, the verses, the chorus, everything. But what really makes it a great song is the final section. The song almost completely dies down, and then comes back, not just for another riff or chorus, but to deliver this powerful, uplifting finale that keeps building and building.

It's also helped by the fact that DT12 came out when I was 17, which I think is kind of an important music age for most people, myself included. This song was heavily in my rotation during one of the more memorable years of my life. And while the rest of the album faded for me, this one stayed.

This is also the first song from my top 10 to show up! Pretty cool that it took so long, and I'm fairly optimistic about the other nine (the one I'd be most worried about dropped a few spaces after this one).

35. Lifting Shadows off a Dream
My ranking: #99

I figured this one would be up here, after how much difficulty I had getting it out during the recent survivor. I'm still a bit surprised that the consensus rates it higher than all of the first three songs on Awake, which, as I've said, are a huge part of what makes that album special to me.

I think Lifting Shadows is a good song, musically, but the vocal melodies are a little unsatisfying for me. In particular, the "and she listens openly" line just misses the mark for me. It feels like it's leading into something else, but that something else never comes. And it's a really key line in the structure of the song!

34. The Root of All Evil
My ranking: #47

This is a very good song. It has this nice sense of forward motion through all the different sections. Even though the melodies and tempos change, it always feels like this song is going somewhere and knows exactly where that is. I think my favorite part is "Driven blindly by our sins, misled so easily..."

33. Misunderstood
My ranking: #92

I love this song, obviously.  I'm not a huge fan of the "noise solo", but the rest of the song is sheer perfection.

I find it rather odd that despite not 'being a huge fan' of a quarter of the song's total duration, you still put it at #4.

I've never seen someone actually put a fraction to it, and that's probably higher than I would have guessed, but it makes a lot of sense.

That's why it's #92 for me. This is a really good song for 3/4 of its runtime, and then becomes utterly intolerable to me. I hate whatever you want to call the last 25% of this song. I like those soft, haunting verses, the build into the huge chorus, and the instrumental bit after it before the outro riff kicks on. I enjoy those parts a lot, and with a proper intro this would probably be a top 50 song.

But I never listen to it except on the rare occasions that I listen to SDOIT, because I dread the outro, and there is no clear off-ramp in the song before that comes in. Honestly, the guitar noise is not even the worst part to me: it's the atonal tinkly keys.

(In fact, the last three minutes of this song alone probably drag SDOIT several spots down my album ranking to the 14th place it inhabits.)

32. Wait for Sleep
My ranking: #5 (highest placement of this song)

I love this song. It's just a perfect two minutes and 32 seconds that does everything it needs to do. The lyrics are gorgeous, James delivers them brilliantly, and the piano parts complement them perfectly. I've probably heard this song hundreds of times and I still sometimes have to catch my breath on "In with the ashes..."

This, to me, is what music with words is all about. There's a meaningful emotion conveyed through a beautiful description of a scene which is paired perfectly with music.

You can think of this as an intro to Learning to Live, and the two absolutely pair beautifully ("hey, I wonder what might be one of the four songs that 425 placed above this one?"). But I think Wait for Sleep stands perfectly well on its own.

I used to have this a little lower, around 8-12, and I think I was held back a little bit by the idea of having this little piano piece ahead of all these huge prog compositions. But that little piano piece does such a beautiful, wonderful thing and holds such a special place in my heart that it deserves a spot in my top five.

31. Disappear
My ranking: #57

This is a hard one for me. I have my issues with some of how this song is written, and especially how it's produced. I don't really care for the intro and outro, especially, and the guitar and keyboard sounds on "Days disappear" part. Those parts kind of give me a headache sometimes. So that used to hold this song pretty low for me, although I always liked the rest pretty well—James really has an excellent performance here.

But, and I'll try not to get too personally detailed about this, but about a year ago, the type of event that this song is about happened in my life. And in the weeks after, I needed this song, and it had real meaning and power for me, and I didn't care about all the stuff that annoyed me. For a little while, it was the only music I could listen to at all. So I'm very grateful that it was there. But now it also carries a very painful association for me.

So #57 is an attempt to find some placement that's compatible with all my complicated and confusing feelings about this song. I'm very glad it exists, but it's not one I seek out, except under extraordinary circumstances.

30. Beyond This Life
My ranking: #28

This is one that I forget about sometimes, but whenever I remember it, I remember how absolutely fantastic it is. This is a quintessential Dream Theater song, with everything thrown in including the kitchen sink, while the whole thing still comes together as a coherent piece. Everyone is firing on all cylinders here.

I'm a big fan of the "oh yeah-yeah" from JLB, and I've always thought he should have done another one at 7:10.

29. Under a Glass Moon
My ranking: #20

I absolutely love the mood that's present on Images and Words and on no other album I've ever heard. Under a Glass Moon definitely carries that mood, and is just a fantastic song. I love the combined guitar/keyboard intro, James's performance is just out of this world (especially "praying for TIME to disappear"), and, of course, there's one of Petrucci's best solos. This is just an excellent song that I still enjoy even after hearing it dozens of times.

So, for those keeping track at home, my rankings of the IAW songs that have dropped so far are #24, #5 and #20. Either I hate the other five (all of which I expect to see upcoming), or this is my favorite DT album by miles and miles—you decide.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #704 on: January 19, 2022, 12:06:37 AM »
Don’t worry 425; the majority of I&W is pretty high on my list as well…

Under a Glass Moon is my #9. It’s probably, but I can’t remember exactly, the song that got me into Dream Theater, but other than just for nostalgic reasons this song has stood the test of time and is still a favourite of mine.

Beyond The Life was my #14. It’s easily the most progressive/experimental track on Scenes (edit: scrap that, The Dance of Eternity exists as well :lol ) and it’s a vital part of the story on that album too. I love the instrumental section, I think it contains some of DT’s best trade-offs and one of John Petrucci’s & Jordan Rudess’s finest unison solo in all of their songs.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline erciccio

« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2022, 09:54:50 AM »
So...28 left...
My guess (too easy?  :biggrin:):
-I&W : 5
-Awake: 4
-FII: 2
-SFAM:5
-SDOIT:3
-ToT:1
-8um: 1
-SC:1
-BC&SL: 1
-ADTOE: 2
-D12: 1
- DoT: 1
- Others: 1

If I am right, I have 27/28 in my top 100..a very heavy one missing

Under a glass moon was #33 for me, the lowest ranking from I&W

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
I also attribute this as the song that is playing behind the image on the cover art.

I've collected almost all official DT-vinyls since I became obsessed with the band. Live At the Marquee - red version - was delivered last week and I can't believe how beautiful that one is. I've listened to it before, but not spinning my own. A La Chouffe beer in my hand, the cover in the other and just absorbing it in that rare moment were the Marshall speaker is playing loud, but my wife and daughters respect the emotion in it... and remains silence. So just me, spinning it a couple of times. I love vinyl and it brings music from the mind down to the heart. Bombay Vindaloo and Surrounded completely swallowed me in.

The only vinyl left to come, is Images and Words. I will be on Discogs this spring or summer and will look for a gorgious piece, a coloured one with gatefold sleeve. And when I finally lay that vinyl under the needle... I'll be in my dreamcastle for quite a while.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »
30 Beyond This Life #13
Although it has a lot of guitar riffage, it's quite an experimental song, specially in the pre-chorus and in the solos. 2nd best song on an incredible and perfect album!

29 Under a Glass Moon #51
I love it, the syncopated drums in the beginning and the instrumental conventions during the guitar solo (as the proper guitar solo) are killers!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 425

« Reply #708 on: January 19, 2022, 11:42:32 AM »
So...28 left...
My guess (too easy?  :biggrin:):
-I&W : 5
-Awake: 4
-FII: 2
-SFAM:5
-SDOIT:3
-ToT:1
-8um: 1
-SC:1
-BC&SL: 1
-ADTOE: 2
-D12: 1
- DoT: 1
- Others: 1

If I am right, I have 27/28 in my top 100..a very heavy one missing

Under a glass moon was #33 for me, the lowest ranking from I&W

Wow, I was thinking it would be hard to guess the remaining songs at this point, but I think you've got it almost exactly right. And I think I know what songs you're thinking of for almost all the albums. The only one I'm unsure of is DoT, but I have a fuzzier idea of what the popular opinion is on that one—I'd assume the song would be At Wit's End, but I thought Barstool Warrior was the popular favorite on the album.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
So that makes 4 songs for me so far where I had the highest ranking. I love every single second of UAGM, but especially the 2nd verse through the instrumental section is amazing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2022, 03:44:07 PM »
Small observation: even though it will become obvious what big songs are left as we get closer and closer to the end, the less spotlighting (posting about remaining songs by listing them by name), the better. :)

Plenty of fun and chatter can still be had without it.  :) :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2022, 05:47:10 PM »
Kind of funny that today's songs finished back to back considering they might be the band's two most played songs of the last 20+ years.

28 The Spirit Carries On
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 1 (DragonAttack)

This has consistently been a top 10 DT song for me since Scenes was released and I had it at 8 here.  Amazing song in every way imaginable.  It slays live every time, and the band is wise to play it as often as they do.

27 Pull Me Under
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 13 (Cool Chris)

I am sure I am one of many whose intro to Dream Theater was hearing this song.  And nearly 30 years later, it's still pretty damn bad ass.  It has aged very well.  I had it 32.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #712 on: January 19, 2022, 06:09:48 PM »
I’ll post a catch-up post tomorrow. But I have to admit I’m a little amazed that PMU had zero top 10s.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #713 on: January 19, 2022, 06:11:06 PM »
I’ll post a catch-up post tomorrow. But I have to admit I’m a little amazed that PMU had zero top 10s.

That is a bit surprising, but it did have nine top 25 finishes.  :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #714 on: January 19, 2022, 06:11:45 PM »
But I have to admit I’m a little amazed that PMU had zero top 10s.

I'd be more amazed if they had any Top 10's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: January 19, 2022, 06:17:12 PM »
Kind of funny that today's songs finished back to back considering they might be the band's two most played songs of the last 20+ years.

28 The Spirit Carries On
Appeared on 25 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 1 (DragonAttack)

This has consistently been a top 10 DT song for me since Scenes was released and I had it at 8 here.  Amazing song in every way imaginable.  It slays live every time, and the band is wise to play it as often as they do.

27 Pull Me Under
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 13 (Cool Chris)

I am sure I am one of many whose intro to Dream Theater was hearing this song.  And nearly 30 years later, it's still pretty damn bad ass.  It has aged very well.  I had it 32.

I had Pull Me Under at #56. I've been going through my I&W and Awake Era boots the last couple of weeks, and this song was a beast. It was the first song I ever saw them play live and it was life changing. That said, I couldn't get it into my Top 50.

I had The Spirit Carries On at #27, so yeah..appropriate. It's a magnificent song for sure. 2nd song so far to make it on 25 lists?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #716 on: January 19, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »
The Spirit Carries On is one of those songs that I objectively think of as a pretty good song, but subjectively it doesn’t resonate with me. I know the sentiment in the lyrics is all part of the story, but the reincarnation aspect of it mixed with the gospel choir has always struck me as really odd (and a bit cliched). I also just think the melody is really sing-songy (like something from Sesame Street). Among DT’s more Beatles-ish ballads, I much prefer Anna Lee to be honest. But the solo is really good and a dramatic high point on SFAM. All told, it came in at 48 for me.

Pull Me Under was of course massively influential for me, and that intro will always resonate I think. Just so much atmosphere and the mystery in those opening chords, MP’s slow drum build, and Kevin Moore’s amazing keyboard part. Unfortunately, the rest of the song has really suffered from overplay for me. I also don’t think the lyrics have aged all that well. At one time I’m sure this would have been top 10 for me, but I have it down at 31 on my list.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #717 on: January 19, 2022, 06:20:53 PM »
What a perfect pairing, two great songs that I struggle with due to overplaying... Pull Me Under is what got me into the band however so is held up by some fond nostalgia.

Had TSCO at 72 and PMU at 25

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #718 on: January 19, 2022, 07:29:20 PM »
28 The Spirit Carries On #49
27 Pull Me Under #50
Both songs are big hits for the most casual fan base and for well deserved reasons, although I think, because they were overplayed live, I have some dificult to enjoy them as much as I did in the pass. Anyway, PMU was an amazing first taste of DT that changed it all musically for me and TSCO is still a great, very emotive song with a top 5 JP solo. So they had to be in my DT Top 50 and I put them in the last spots!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: January 19, 2022, 08:55:12 PM »
TSCO: #39. Great song, can't say I've seen it live but imagine it delivers.

PMU: #13 Some nostalgia bias, but can put this song on all these years later and it will still sound fresh and crisp as a cracker.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »

And that it missed three lists  :o  Then again, I'll be guilty of not including one or two of those remaining as well.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: January 19, 2022, 09:12:36 PM »
Sorry if I have missed it, but has any song been ranked on all 26 lists yet?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: January 19, 2022, 09:19:03 PM »
But I have to admit I’m a little amazed that PMU had zero top 10s.

I'd be more amazed if they had any Top 10's.

Agree.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: January 19, 2022, 09:35:37 PM »
Sorry if I have missed it, but has any song been ranked on all 26 lists yet?

No.

Songs that were on 24 lists were Wait For Sleep, Overture 1928, Misunderstood, Endless Sacrifice, Panic Attack, The Enemy Inside, and Pale Blue Dot (listed in order of release)

Outcry (#37) and The Spirit Carries On (#27) made it onto 25 lists

(As Foghorn Leghorn might say, "Fortunately, I've been copying/pasting Kev's results to Word for just such an occasion.")
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #724 on: January 19, 2022, 09:40:46 PM »
Pull Me Under
My ranking: #74. This is a great song. While I don't have it anywhere near the top, I would say this is a song that deserves all the praise it gets. Radio hit or not, it's an enjoyable listen from start to finish and I can't see myself getting tired of this one.

The Spirit Carries On
My ranking: #15. This is such a cathartic song, especially in context of Metropolis Part 2. This is a rare instance of a song so good that it affects my rankings of another song; in this instance, Regression is significantly higher than it would've been otherwise, because of that gorgeous reprise in The Spirit Carries On at 4:22 (Regression is at #118 in my rankings, if you're wondering). Everything about this song is just about perfect; even the female singer from Through Her Eyes sounds great here!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: January 19, 2022, 10:29:58 PM »
One person not having TSCO in their 100 is mindblowing.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #726 on: January 20, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
30 Beyond This Life #80
29 Under a Glass Moon #53
28 the Spirit Carries On #26
27 Pull Me Under #-

I know the sentiment in the lyrics is all part of the story, but the reincarnation aspect of it mixed with the gospel choir has always struck me as really odd (and a bit cliched).

You mention something I haven't thought of before, but now can hardly put it aside I'll think.

With Pull Me Under I got a little Nothing Else Matters-feeling. It's definitely a good song, but heard it too often and is a little too mainstream, for my ears.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #727 on: January 20, 2022, 01:16:30 AM »
28 The Spirit Carries On #33

This is a really beautiful song. One of the best moments of the Distant Memories tour was the tension and build-up to this song. This is a great song that talks about questioning what happens after you die. It relates to the story in a nice epic way as well with Nicholas coming to terms with his answer that he believes his spirit will carry on, based on his dreams and hypnotic visions of this girl who died. I find this one an interesting sort of foreshadow with it's message and how it relates to Nicholas in Finally Free. I really enjoy the addition of the gospel choir and Teresa Tompson on LSFNY, they add that extra oomph to the song to make it that much more majestic. It emphasizes the meaning and emotion of how Nicholas feels with this realization.

27 Pull Me Under (Did Not Rank)

I'm one that didn't rank this song and here's why. It's a fantastic song, and was my first song by Dream Theater I heard while hanging out with my cousin and listening to the radio. Now, it's one I have to be in the mood to listen to. It's played all the time, and I myself have heard it a lot. There are times where I feel I am tired of hearing the song and there are moments where I will be singing along. The reason it's not on my list is there are so many other songs that I have a closer bond with. It's also the song that everyone knows, while there are so many other great songs by the band that deserve just as much attention and praise from the casual audience. I do like how they played with the tempo of the song live a couple of times with the "warped version". I actually liked the way it sounded half a step down when played on the I&W&B tour, and I enjoyed it a lot there because it wasn't played as the encore song and also it is a part of Images and Words and it really is a great way to begin an album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: January 20, 2022, 04:03:08 AM »
I don't quite understand how any DT song could have the tag 'overplayed'.  I mean, I get it but I still think its a slight stretch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #729 on: January 20, 2022, 06:32:39 AM »
I don't quite understand how any DT song could have the tag 'overplayed'.  I mean, I get it but I still think its a slight stretch.

I suspect they mean relative to other DT songs in the context of how often they are played live.  No clue how accurate setlist.fm is, but it shows Pull Me Under as their most played song ever, and The Spirit Carries On as their 3rd most played song ever.  Makes sense in both cases, as Pull Me Under is by far their biggest "hit" ever, and The Spirit Carries On is a major fan favorite that crowds go nuts for nearly every time.  I suspect both are songs the more casual DT fans are likely to know and enjoy more than most others.

Offline HOF

« Reply #730 on: January 20, 2022, 07:25:51 AM »

I suspect they mean relative to other DT songs in the context of how often they are played live.  No clue how accurate setlist.fm is, but it shows Pull Me Under as their most played song ever, and The Spirit Carries On as their 3rd most played song ever.  Makes sense in both cases, as Pull Me Under is by far their biggest "hit" ever, and The Spirit Carries On is a major fan favorite that crowds go nuts for nearly every time.  I suspect both are songs the more casual DT fans are likely to know and enjoy more than most others.

I think it’s just that a lot of us became hooked on DT with I&W, and Pull Me Under is the first track on that album so most likely you’ve played it to death by now if you’ve been a fan long enough. That and it also is probably more likely to show up live, though for some of us that’s less of an issue probably (I’ve never seen them live for one).

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: January 20, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »
The anniversary tours certainly boosted the totals for TSCO (as well as PMU).  Having seen every tour from 2003 onwards, it was not until 2012 before I finally had a chance to see it performed (and then twice during their last two tours).

I can relate to the 'overplaying' of a song diminishing the enjoyment.  After 'Wayne's World', I swear I couldn't swing a dead cat without hearing 'Bohemian Rhapsody' whenever I turned on the radio or walked into someone's office.  Still my favorite song of all time, whether it be the studio version, any official live or bootleg version, but there was a time when I'd switch the station or walk out of an office when I heard it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:32:43 PM by DragonAttack »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: January 20, 2022, 02:14:17 PM »
I guess its like Maiden and Run to the Hills, Number of the Beast etc.

I knew all that although PMU and TSCO while overplayed are still as good as their other songs.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #733 on: January 20, 2022, 03:02:49 PM »

I totally agree. I don't get this when it comes to ranking the greatest songs by a band? If it is 'overplayed' doesn't that mean that maybe it is great? I just don't understand how this can be a negative against the song.

PMU is the first Dream Theater song I ever heard and I was completely blown away by it. However I am more blown away by the fact that not everyone had it in their top 100 - absolutely mind blown!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #734 on: January 20, 2022, 04:30:59 PM »

#28 The Spirit Carries On  - 38.  A beautiful song. Great live. Great in the album.

#27  Pull Me Under  -  32.  I remember the day I first heard this song. I think in 1995. My cousin, who I was living with, says "you gotta hear this song". I remember having 2 thoughts. "Wow! their music is big and awesome!, and "Who the heck is that singer? That is the best rock singer I have ever heard!" And then I never heard or thought anything about Dream Theater again for a long time. I was moving cross-country, different jobs, having fun! And no internet. So, just took what came my way.  Years and years later when we just started getting the ipods, or being able to download songs on our phones, that was one of a few songs I managed to get on my phone and listen to. I never forgot that song, and always felt like it was one of the best songs ever. How amazed and excited I was to discover a couple years later that DT has a whole plethora of music - and lots even better than PMU!. 32 is good place for this song for me.