Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52699 times)

Offline Trav86

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #665 on: January 17, 2022, 04:03:47 PM »
#35??  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream. -  not rated for me.. I just never could get into this song.

That sucks. I’m sorry.

Fortunately there is a Ton to love, so..it's ok. Who knows though, I may give it some listens and see if its a grower, since it is so popular.
Funny thing about the whole Awake album. It was the first thing I heard from the band, and I was blown away. But I went out and immediately bought SFAM (it was the newest album) and was so obsessed with that, I didn’t go back to Awake for a while. Even though it’s the one that drew me in, it took a few years to really get it. I mean, to the point where I’m following the lyrics, rewinding to listen to vocal lines in “Caught in a Web”. A song that most diehards don’t give two shits about. And I heard “Lifting Shadows off a Dream” as the masterpiece it is.
So yeah, I feel bad for people that don’t get it like I do. But I totally understand because it hits a different spot than most of their albums do.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #666 on: January 17, 2022, 06:48:32 PM »
Get ready for a mellow update coming shortly!! :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: January 17, 2022, 06:55:22 PM »
Today's songs!!

32 Wait for Sleep
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 5 (425)

Awesome song, one that just oozes with melody.  I can still play the main melody on the keyboard (the lead part only :lol).  I had this at 30.

31 Disappear
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 4 (Cool Chris, Setlist Scotty)

This one has been a major grower for me. I always liked it a ton, but in recent years, it has really elevated big time.  I had it at 22, while years ago it would have been a borderline top 50 song.  The atmosphere in this one is just phenomenal.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #668 on: January 17, 2022, 07:03:01 PM »
It's amazing how quick you can fall behind!   So here's my catch up post.

44. Another Day - Me #69 (niiiiiice)

When I first heard PMU, I loved it straight away.  But I loved the way the album immediately transitioned to this very mellow piece.   That told me right off the bat that this band was not content to just give me one type of music throughout the album.  They were going to explore the dynamics.   Not the best from IAW, but makes an immediate statement that I love as the second track from that album.

43. Fall Into the Light - Me #46

Pretty close to the final ranking.  One of the best tracks from D/T.

42. Hell's Kitchen - Me #120

Not a fan of splitting this up from the original BMS '96 version.   I feel it's fairly overrated on its own.

41. These Walls - Me #63

I've made no secret that 8V is my favorite album, but it wasn't always that way.   My first few spins, I was not thrilled.  And TALW was especially a letdown.   But These Walls was an early standout.   8V is a near perfect album for me, but definitely an example of the "album experience" being greater than the sum of its parts.  So the individual songs don't always track so high with me.

40. Endless Sacrifice - Me #125

This song really didn't age well for me at all.  The part where the pace picks up is pretty cool.  But the chorus is pretty weak.

39. Barstool Warrior - Me #25

My highest ranking song, and #1 favorite hands down from D/T.   FANTASTIC chorus!   Can't help but sing along to this one every time.   Actually turned a kid on to DT with this song.  He really loved it. 

38. Overture 1928 - Me #32

The excitement when I was working at a CD shop when this album came out CANNOT be understated.  I played this in-store so much that all the other employees started to hate me.  But I sold a lot of copies!!!  LOL

37. Outcry - Me #53

Definitely one of the better tracks from ADTOE.  I actually give this album a bad rap sometimes.  But it's really a good album.   The comparisons with IAW do have some merit....but I think OTBOA is the only one that suffers from being derivative.   All the rest (to me...and Outcry is a perfect example) pay homage without sounding anything like the originals. 

35(t). The Bigger Picture - Me #39

Someone earlier mentioned the outro for this song, and I have to whole heartedly agree.  The main part of this song is amazing enough, but that outro just takes everything to another level.   

35(t). Lifting Shadows off A Dream - Me #10

This is my all time #1 Dream Theater ballad.  It is the most beautiful mellow song they have ever written.   And when I thought it couldn't possibly be improved upon?  They wrote that incredible, jaw-dropping intro that I first heard on 5YIALT and subsequently on the 1998 Fan Club CD.  Still the definitive version of that song.   I literally get goosebumps every time I hear it.

34. The Root of All Evil - Me #31

Another song that was amazing to begin with, but got elevated to a whole new level with the live version.  Can't listen to this without remembering being in the 6th Row at the Score show.  I'm certain the electricity in the air could be measured. 

33. Misunderstood - Me #91

This is better than I rated it.   But I will say that the end brings it WAAAY down.  I do like the single cut much better.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: January 17, 2022, 07:03:24 PM »
Disappear made 5 Top 10 finishes. Awesome!

I think WfS got left off my list. Probably something I should have corrected after running the ranking engine. Still not something I'd have in the low on the list.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #670 on: January 17, 2022, 07:06:35 PM »
I have Disappear at #10. It's a great song. Easily the standout on the overrated and bloated Six Degrees.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #671 on: January 17, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »
Since he JUST posted it, I may as well stay caught up while I have the chance.

32. Wait for Sleep - Me #55

Such a beautiful piece.  But, to me, it's more of an intro to LTL, and it's almost impossible for me to separate it from the context of that song.    On its own, it doesn't do as well in the head to head competition.   But I do absolutely love it.

31. Disappear - Me #150

I just do not get the love for this song.   I feel about this song the way I've seen a lot of people feel about Space Dye Vest.   But I think SDV is just so much more melodic and better structured.   This song does an ok job of setting up a creepy vibe, but it's just kindof a mess.    To me, it's forgettable and one of the lower moments in DTs body of work. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #672 on: January 17, 2022, 08:36:04 PM »
Absolutely love Wait for Sleep.

Have never thought that much of Disappear. Actually often skip it when listening to the album. It is an ok song but I am pretty shocked it has ranked so high.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 09:58:37 PM by The Realm »

Offline NoFred

« Reply #673 on: January 17, 2022, 09:00:28 PM »
32. Wait for Sleep may have been my initial favorite after PMU (which is what got me into the band), and like all the songs from that album still resonates with me today. Called it at 32 :) but looking back I’d probably swap it with my 41, Vacant. I would have loved a song like this to lead into AVFTTOTW.

31. Disappear doesn’t work for me much but I get why it does for some, since it’s a pretty distinct piece in the band’s catalog. Had it at 77.

Offline HOF

« Reply #674 on: January 17, 2022, 10:24:28 PM »
I have Wait for Sleep at 18. It's a beautiful song and another great example of Kevin Moore's writing ability, both lyrically and musically. Back when I was sort of learning piano I found some sheet music online that I don't think was 100% accurate, but close enough and I learned that thing by heart. To this day it's really the only complete piece of music I can play (on any instrument). It's been a while though. Need to run through it again to make sure the muscle memory hasn't evaporated. Also a really great vocal performance from James. And of course love how the main theme is reprised in Learning to Live.

Disappear is one I will probably never love, but I do see the appeal. For me, it's just so dour and always felt like their attempt to recreate Space Dye Vest without Kevin (but more in the vein of Radiohead or something). I have it at 64.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #675 on: January 18, 2022, 01:27:29 AM »
34 the Root of All Evil #41
33 Misunderstood #76
32 Wait for Sleep #37
31 Disappear #93

To me, the second vinyl of Six Degrees (title-piece) is so much better than the first songs, with the exception of the Glass Prison. Both Misunderstood and Disappear are in the lower tier of my top 100. Blind Faith also and the Great Debate doesn't even come near it. I might just have to spend more hours on this one, it might take a few years to age to me (it's only four years since I've been in Dream Theater). So, I don't know, maybe if we do this again in 2030, it will be much higher.

Wait for Sleep is so wonderful simple and moving, with a story that always reaches my heart, doesn't matter how many times I hear it.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #676 on: January 18, 2022, 01:33:04 AM »
Get ready for a mellow update coming shortly!! :P

Funny, with the top 30 close by now, I am so curious to see what it will look like. Especially the top 10. A couple of my own top 10 I have seen already and I can't believe one of them didn't make the final list... so as it seems there will so much to enjoy coming up any time soon now. I've decided to make a playlist of the top 100 when it's finished and play it all the way, shortly after the number 1 is released.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline erciccio

« Reply #677 on: January 18, 2022, 02:12:28 AM »
I love both songs!!

I have Wait for sleep at #12, even though I admit the ranking is subject to an "upward bias" due to its position in I&W...:)

I really love the intro and the last verse of Disappear (#29), those parts are probably in my top 10 of the best "musical moments" of DT...I don't love the arrangements in other parts of the song that much, that's why the rank is "only" 29.
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: January 18, 2022, 07:44:50 AM »
40. Endless Sacrifice (NR) already commented on.
39. Barstool Warrior (#54) same as above

38. Overture 1928 (#4) guess I’ll be the one again to give the next ‘Scenes’ song its highest rating on here as well.  On my ‘best ofs’, I go mostly chronological.  TSCO ends my disc one, and this starts disc 2.  Can’t tell you the number of days that this was the first thing I heard on the way to or from work, though it was hard to drive because I want to play air drums and keyboard throughout.  Such a joy to hear it in ’14 and the last two concerts.  For an ultimate forever concert setlist, this would always be my opener.

37. Outcry (#70) I made a travel disc for me and the wife of ADToE, and I didn’t include this.  Figured it was bit much.  Oddly, it found a home on my edited TA disc, right after ‘A New Beginning’ and before ‘Our New World’. 

35(t). The Bigger Picture (#36) nailed it!

35(t).  Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (#44)  Enjoyed the prior write ups and listened to the other live versions because of them.  Thank you.  Not spectacular but enjoyable on the ’14 tour.

34. The Root of All Evil (#46) good album opener, the lovely piano ending and hint of the title track, a perfect start to ‘Score’, and Romavarium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stm7mrY8yc0&t=32s very good ending on ‘Luna Park’.  Glad I saw it performed in 2012.  Easily my favorite of the 12SS. 

33. Misunderstood (#18) First, like The Beatles did to ‘I Want You’, I simply chopped the ending of this song off at 8:08.  Works great for me.
Once again, this was my first DT disc, and I jumped out of my LZ Boy during my first listen to look at the credits to see where Brian May was listed (just as I had on Soundgarden’s ‘New Damage’).  That guitar solo in itself raises this song up dozens of notches.  The lyrics (I think of my often loneliness in spite of having known 1000s of people…and my prior dog😊).  They captured the moodiness so well on stage with faint blue lights, before the white lights blinded me when the heaviness crashes in…..perhaps my favorite visual memory of any song from start to finish. 

32. Wait for Sleep (#41) another beautiful I&W slower tempo song, good on its own (another of my wife’s favorites). btw, she likes 'Misunderstood' as well from it being constantly played on road trips. :tup

31. Disappear (NR) it reminds me of the ‘Dark Shadows’ TV theme to me. Perhaps that's why it seems even 'creepier' to me.  Thus ends the first disc of the first DT album I heard.  Not a kind introduction.  Gee, I hope Disc 2 is a bit more enjoyable……

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:08:12 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: January 18, 2022, 08:51:27 AM »
33 Misunderstood
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 4 (ZirconBlue)

I love this song, obviously.  I'm not a huge fan of the "noise solo", but the rest of the song is sheer perfection.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #680 on: January 18, 2022, 09:44:52 AM »
32. Wait For Sleep.  93 for me.  It's beautiful and I love it.  I just don't listen to it that much.  That is how I based my rankings.

31. Disappear.  67.   This is a wonderful song. I want to cry every time I get to "I gave you my hand, I said it's okay letting go time to leave here". I would really love to see this live.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #681 on: January 18, 2022, 09:45:53 AM »
33 Misunderstood

I love this song, obviously.  I'm not a huge fan of the "noise solo", but the rest of the song is sheer perfection.

I find it rather odd that despite not 'being a huge fan' of a quarter of the song's total duration, you still put it at #4.

Not that I'm complaining, Misunderstood is my #16 and that's actually largely due to the ending, which I think is awesome. Your high placement undoubtedly made it rank higher in the final list, so thanks I guess.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #682 on: January 18, 2022, 09:46:57 AM »
By the way; by the time this list finishes, is it a good idea for Kev to post every single Top 10 everyone has submitted? It's difficult to keep track of all of that and it would be fun to see what others have selected there, without having to post the entire top 100.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: January 18, 2022, 10:50:32 AM »
I'd love to see the names of those who didn't rate each one.

As well as the top 5 rankings and possibly names for each song (just to see how close some of the others have come to my seemingly too many highest rankings).

And after that, tally who had the most submissions that did not rank (probably me), the most whose songs did rate, and then something x, y, and z, just so that his work on this will be a constant endless sacrifice ;)

'Everything is never enough!' :lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:02:22 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: January 18, 2022, 11:05:25 AM »
There will definitely be an opportunity for lots of interesting statistical analysis at the end of this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline erciccio

« Reply #685 on: January 18, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
33 Misunderstood

I find it rather odd that despite not 'being a huge fan' of a quarter of the song's total duration, you still put it at #4.

Not that I'm complaining, Misunderstood is my #16 and that's actually largely due to the ending, which I think is awesome. Your high placement undoubtedly made it rank higher in the final list, so thanks I guess.

For me Misunderstood is #37

In a similar way, I prefer the "single edit" version you can find in the "Greatest hit(s)".
I would have probably kept the second verse that was cancelled , but all the "removed noise" that's in the full version was not necessary, IMHO.

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #686 on: January 18, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »
Nobody had my #5 as high and I’m willing to bet I’m the highest for my #3 and #4 as well. Kev can’t play, because he knows :lol .

Top 10’s at the end, definitely please!
Squ

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: January 18, 2022, 02:17:07 PM »
33 Misunderstood

The part I'm talking about is just a few seconds of guitar squawking, not the whole instrumental section.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #688 on: January 18, 2022, 03:25:07 PM »
32 Wait for Sleep (#92)
Really beautiful, the piano reminds me of a classic Renassaince (prog band) song.

31 Disappear (-)
It's interesting, it has a cool and eerie atmosphere, but it's my less favorite song from 6DOIT.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #689 on: January 18, 2022, 03:44:49 PM »
I have Disappear somewhere in the Top 10 on my list (I'm keeping the exact placement a secret for now in case Kev does reveal all the Top 10s at the end). This is one of eight songs in my top tier of Dream Theater songs. This song is beautiful, haunting, and depressing, and I love every element of it. I don't know which song is more depressing, this or Heartattack in a Layby from Porcupine Tree. Heartattack is probably the more depressing one, but Disappear leaves a bigger impact on me.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2022, 03:53:28 PM »
I have Disappear somewhere in the Top 10 on my list (I'm keeping the exact placement a secret for now in case Kev does reveal all the Top 10s at the end). This is one of eight songs in my top tier of Dream Theater songs. This song is beautiful, haunting, and depressing, and I love every element of it. I don't know which song is more depressing, this or Heartattack in a Layby from Porcupine Tree. Heartattack is probably the more depressing one, but Disappear leaves a bigger impact on me.

Routine for me by Steve Wilson...We could do a new thread, your most depressing songs.. But that would be depressing. :'(

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »
Today's songs!!

32 Wait for Sleep
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 5 (425)

Awesome song, one that just oozes with melody.  I can still play the main melody on the keyboard (the lead part only :lol).  I had this at 30.

31 Disappear
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 4 (Cool Chris, Setlist Scotty)

This one has been a major grower for me. I always liked it a ton, but in recent years, it has really elevated big time.  I had it at 22, while years ago it would have been a borderline top 50 song.  The atmosphere in this one is just phenomenal.

NEITHER would make my top 100 :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #692 on: January 18, 2022, 06:12:26 PM »
Alright, folks, let's get ready to rock for tonight's entries!!  :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: January 18, 2022, 06:16:09 PM »
We now enter the top 30...

30 Beyond This Life
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 2 (NoFred)

Incredible song.  There are times where it almost gets lost in the shuffled amongst all of the awesomeness on Scenes, but this song is just money.  All of the vocal melodies are stellar, that instrumental section is god tier, and that ending...  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy  I had it at 21.

29 Under a Glass Moon
Appeared on 22 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 3 (Dream Team)

It shows how awesome Images and Words was when a song this good is, IMO, its least best song.  I had this at 52.  It would have been higher years ago, but some songs have aged a bit better for me.  Still a great song, regardless.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #694 on: January 18, 2022, 06:20:02 PM »
I had Beyond This Life at #61 and Under A Glass Moon at #43. Just goes to show how many great songs they have. I agree that Beyond This Life gets lost in the awesomeness of Scenes, but I still think it's amazing. I do, however, consider the Budokan version a travesty.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: January 18, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »
I had Beyond This Life at 96. Yikes. It is better than that, especially the first part, but that instrumental section isn't nearly good enough to be as long as it is.

UaGM at 36 so not too far off from the forum has it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #696 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:13 PM »
I had Beyond This Life at 96. Yikes. It is better than that, especially the first part, but that instrumental section isn't nearly good enough to be as long as it is.

Yeah, maybe that's it.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #697 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:42 PM »
Beyond This Life
My ranking: #28. I've rated this song pretty highly before, but this one's grown on me even more in recent months. The instrumental section is almost a little too long, but I don't really mind considering how good it is.

Under a Glass Moon
My ranking: Not ranked (#123). This song's certainly good, but I've never considered it to be particularly great, at least in comparison to so many other DT songs. I see the guitar solo get a lot of high praise, but I don't find it to be anything special.

Offline HOF

« Reply #698 on: January 18, 2022, 07:16:10 PM »

Huh. I’m the opposite. The instrumental section of Beyond This Life is the better part for me. I do like the chorus though at least when it comes back after the instrumental. I had it at 39.

Under a Glass Moon came in at 21. I actually kind of used to dislike it when I first got into I&W, mostly on account of the unusual chorus that felt kind of grating. But the guitar solo is epic, and it’s one that has somehow aged better for me than some of the other songs on the album (Pull Me Under and Metropolis for example).

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #699 on: January 18, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
30.  Beyond This Life. - 7. I Love this song. All the parts. All the different live versions. At the very beginning, when Home was one of my first DT discovered songs, and then Scenes, I just couldnt get past Home being my #1 song. But later, when giving the other songs more attention, I really got into this. Home is still higher, and was surpassed as number 1. But really, my top 10 might as well be interchangesble.

29. Under a Glass Moon.  70 - Great song. I really think I like DT's newer material more than their old.. :biggrin: