Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53436 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 50 now going!)
« Reply #630 on: January 15, 2022, 07:30:31 PM »
Outcry is absolutely fantastic. I've done an analysis/dissection of the track here previously
If possible can you post a link to that? I'm interested to read your thoughts on the song, because I agree, it's one of the band's very greatest masterpieces. Compositionally I think there's a case to be made that it's actually their finest moment. 

Offline NoFred

« Reply #631 on: January 15, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
And one song in the top 5 did not appear on all 26 lists.

Have a hunch this involves me.

I’m confident I can guess the community’s Top 5, and while only one of those is in my personal top 5 the ones I’m thinking of are all in my top 20, so I can’t imagine which one you left off.

I’m guessing the song I think is most overrated is The Spirit Carries On, which I’ve got at 72, but I don’t think it made top 5.

39 Barstool Warrior #26…. That happy, uplifting sort of sound is a big reason why I love Dream Theater as musicians. …

Clipping this out of your post, I agree 110% about the bands overall sound and it’s also why I love them (above and beyond getting on board with I&W) - for me I hear it with About to Crash, which is held back in rank by the rule that 6D is a whole, but otherwise to me that’s their most uplifting sound and (on its own) easily would have been my #3.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #632 on: January 15, 2022, 08:37:19 PM »

There's two songs I don't have in my Top 100 that are otherwise universally praised... I wonder if either of those made the Top 5. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #633 on: January 15, 2022, 08:40:28 PM »
As promised, two more today!!

35 (t) The Bigger Picture
Appeared on 22 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 4 (Ben_Jamin)

I had this at 59, which is a little higher than I had it before doing the rankings engine.  Really good song, one that I feel is the 2nd best from the self-titled album behind Surrender to Reason.  I am a bit surprised this finished so far ahead of Surrender to Reason, to be honest.

35 (t) Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Appeared on 21 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 4 (HOF)

I had this at 12. Incredible song in every way imaginable.  I feel lucky to have seen this song played at three of the nine DT concerts I have seen.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #634 on: January 15, 2022, 09:05:34 PM »
I’m shocked at how low Overture 1928 is.  Would have thought that would be guaranteed top 15.

An amazing song from start to finish and their best instrumental song imo.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #635 on: January 15, 2022, 09:12:44 PM »
Lifting Shadows (and all of Awake) is peak JLB… I had at 50 but I probably underrate these more than I should.

No rating on The Bigger Picture… the title track is a good try, everything else is forgotten.

Online HOF

« Reply #636 on: January 15, 2022, 09:25:34 PM »
Lifting Shadows is truly magnificent and one DT song I never get tired of. I love how unusual the structure of the song is, but it's all just flat out beautiful. Similar to 6:00, it's an example of prog at its best. The song just keeps adding different layers and textures, going through different tempos and building tension before finally blooming in the last chorus. This is also one of John Myung's finest moments both as a bass player and as a lyricist. And James really shines as well throughout. It's a total goosebumps type of song. Obviously I would have liked to see it finish higher, but 35 ain't too shabby.

Should also say, I have this at 4, but I could probably have put those 4 in any order on any given day. Listening to Lifting Shadows now, it's hard to imagine the band wrote 3 better songs than this (much less 34)!

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:35:02 PM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #637 on: January 15, 2022, 09:53:58 PM »
Lifting Shadows (and all of Awake) is peak JLB… I had at 50 but I probably underrate these more than I should.

No rating on The Bigger Picture… the title track is a good try, everything else is forgotten.

The title track….from Dream Theater???
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #638 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40:47 PM »
37 Overture 1928 #-
36 Outcry #20
35 the Bigger Picture #30
35 Lifting Shadows Off a Dream #39

Outcry is a beautiful musical answer to Bridges In the Sky. Dream Theater seems to actually reach the sky with that performance and Outcry continues this great musical atmosphere. Together they highlight the Mangini-era and might be after the Mirror-Lie, my favorite one-two punch from Dream Theater.

The Bigger Picture has one of Petrucci's most spot-on guitarsolo's in his entire discography. It's not nearly as complex as Lie, not as emotional as many ballad-solo's, but it lifts this song to a masterpiece. I love the most the 'slowness' (can't think of a better word) in it and the clearness in his tone. I used to rewind and re-listen to it all the time.

41 These Walls #13

Octavarium was one of the first Dream Theater albums I had bought and it's grand nugget themes are a reason for me enjoying this album a lot. These Walls is great in how JP uses a baritone guitar tuned down to a step to achieve the low A. Which is the next key in the musical Octave (A big theme as well that is part of the albums namesake). This is a key that relates to me, and this song does relate to me a lot. The clean guitars and the distortion tone I find to be pretty soothing. The vocal melodies actually soar through the music and I love how they build-up into the chorus. I appreciate how simple this song is for DT, especially the guitar solo. This laid-back, simplistic, atmosphere makes me feel that it represents the person unable to tear the walls down, and you feel this pent up tension waiting to be released by tearing down the walls. It's a reason for me enjoying the outro a lot as that to me is like a person trying desperately to tear down the walls, like the sound of a sledgehammer pounding down the wall. (Which I just now realized can be related to the concept of Pink Floyd's The Wall...

BenJamin, in general, but especially with These Walls, I find it very interesting to read your thoughts. Through your eyes, These Walls made have raised a few spots on the list, for me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline NoFred

« Reply #639 on: January 15, 2022, 11:31:01 PM »

The title track….from Dream Theater???

Haha sorry yes you’re right, I’ve got this thing where I see that one as ‘Illumination Theory’ and nothing else. My mistake.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #640 on: January 16, 2022, 01:22:13 AM »

39 Barstool Warrior #26…. That happy, uplifting sort of sound is a big reason why I love Dream Theater as musicians. …

Clipping this out of your post, I agree 110% about the bands overall sound and it’s also why I love them (above and beyond getting on board with I&W) - for me I hear it with About to Crash, which is held back in rank by the rule that 6D is a whole, but otherwise to me that’s their most uplifting sound and (on its own) easily would have been my #3.

I do too and I love About to Crash, especially the Reprise, I play them back to back. I could talk more about it now, but I am going to save that IF 6DOIT the song makes the list.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #641 on: January 16, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »
Outcry is absolutely fantastic. I've done an analysis/dissection of the track here previously
If possible can you post a link to that? I'm interested to read your thoughts on the song, because I agree, it's one of the band's very greatest masterpieces. Compositionally I think there's a case to be made that it's actually their finest moment. 

Yes! I had to go back through my posting history. The comment was made in a thread about DT’s finest moment and started as a reply to another poster, so for clarity’s sake I’m not go to copy-paste the entire post here, but instead link to the post in the thread so you can read what prompted it in the first place.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #642 on: January 16, 2022, 02:00:52 AM »

41 These Walls #13

Octavarium was one of the first Dream Theater albums I had bought and it's grand nugget themes are a reason for me enjoying this album a lot. These Walls is great in how JP uses a baritone guitar tuned down to a step to achieve the low A. Which is the next key in the musical Octave (A big theme as well that is part of the albums namesake). This is a key that relates to me, and this song does relate to me a lot. The clean guitars and the distortion tone I find to be pretty soothing. The vocal melodies actually soar through the music and I love how they build-up into the chorus. I appreciate how simple this song is for DT, especially the guitar solo. This laid-back, simplistic, atmosphere makes me feel that it represents the person unable to tear the walls down, and you feel this pent up tension waiting to be released by tearing down the walls. It's a reason for me enjoying the outro a lot as that to me is like a person trying desperately to tear down the walls, like the sound of a sledgehammer pounding down the wall. (Which I just now realized can be related to the concept of Pink Floyd's The Wall...

BenJamin, in general, but especially with These Walls, I find it very interesting to read your thoughts. Through your eyes, These Walls made have raised a few spots on the list, for me.

I appreciate it. Dream Theater is my favorite band, or more so, the only band where I own all the albums, know pretty much all the songs, listen to various live recordings, and joined it's official forum that used to be featured on their website. I really love music, and it's pretty much vital to my overall perspective in life. I analyze it to wonder why the artist chose to use this tone, why did the artist use this sound, what was the message of the music, and does the music relate to it's lyrics and message. These are what I ask myself when I listen to music, but I like to take it all in first without asking these questions and letting the music hit me with whatever it is. I find music is best appreciated when no expectations are made about how the music is going to sound. For this reason, it's why I find it sort of hilarious how Dream Theater wound up with a vocalist with a tone that is not well enjoyed by some people, yet his tone is a big characteristic of the bands overall sound and tone of the band. Each member of this band is/was vital to the bands overall tone, with each person easily identifiable in their involvement in the music and also lyrics.

But that's why I enjoy Dream Theater, and am taking this opportunity to share my thoughts about the songs. This is very fun, and a great way to start the new year off. We're leading into the start of the tour as well...so I sort of see it as a countdown to the show in Mesa, which I am attending.  :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #643 on: January 16, 2022, 02:06:58 AM »

Yes! I had to go back through my posting history. The comment was made in a thread about DT’s finest moment and started as a reply to another poster, so for clarity’s sake I’m not go to copy-paste the entire post here, but instead link to the post in the thread so you can read what prompted it in the first place.

I must've missed your description or it went over my head when reading the thread, but that is a very great description of the song. I can hear exactly what you are describing. Although, I see the ending having a slight glimmer of hope with the people standing tall, represented by the "Hey" chants.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #644 on: January 16, 2022, 02:11:20 AM »

That's an AMAZING post, congratulations
I totally share the view on the intentional songwriting at the end, I also felt the "hopeleness" in the key choice, and I feel "uncertainty of the outcome" in the outro, which is harmonically unresolved and slightly dissonant in the arrangement

Outcry is a masterpiece of songwriting

It took me some time get the full story, initially I was a bit jarred..
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #645 on: January 16, 2022, 02:26:52 AM »
Going back to These Walls, I should mention that I had it at number 13 also.  It's magic and the atmosphere is just so incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: January 16, 2022, 02:30:53 AM »
For me;

Overture 1928 - #51
Outcry - #77
The Bigger Picture - #27
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - #63

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #647 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:50 AM »
I appreciate it. Dream Theater is my favorite band, or more so, the only band where I own all the albums, know pretty much all the songs, listen to various live recordings, and joined it's official forum that used to be featured on their website. I really love music, and it's pretty much vital to my overall perspective in life. I analyze it to wonder why the artist chose to use this tone, why did the artist use this sound, what was the message of the music, and does the music relate to it's lyrics and message. These are what I ask myself when I listen to music, but I like to take it all in first without asking these questions and letting the music hit me with whatever it is. I find music is best appreciated when no expectations are made about how the music is going to sound. For this reason, it's why I find it sort of hilarious how Dream Theater wound up with a vocalist with a tone that is not well enjoyed by some people, yet his tone is a big characteristic of the bands overall sound and tone of the band. Each member of this band is/was vital to the bands overall tone, with each person easily identifiable in their involvement in the music and also lyrics.

But that's why I enjoy Dream Theater, and am taking this opportunity to share my thoughts about the songs. This is very fun, and a great way to start the new year off. We're leading into the start of the tour as well...so I sort of see it as a countdown to the show in Mesa, which I am attending.  :metal

I follow you all the way. I've tried TransAtlantic, Muse, spend years on Metallica and as a young lad went to other musical genres as well, from GreenDay to hiphop. But when I finally found out 'bout Dream Theater (between the Astonishing and Distance Over Time), it took over all my music eventually. Next to Pink Floyds masterpieces (the Wall and P.U.L.S.E.), I only have content from Dream Theater. Artbooks and vinyl. Images and Words is the one vinyl still missing in my livingroom. I've spend hours and hours on their lyrics, studied the Lifting Shadows-biography and Dream Theater is at least 95% of all the music I listen to, since quite a while.

And then I found out about this forum a couple of months ago, which made a huge dive-in Dream Theater from a total different angle. Posts like yours are fine slices of the gorgious pie. It helps me to appreciate the 'complexity' (?) of their music even more.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #648 on: January 16, 2022, 07:36:23 AM »
35 The Bigger Picture (-)
I like it, it's a consistent song, but it's not among my faves from DT12.

35 Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (#35 too! Like someone said, do I win any prizes? :D)
Incredible song! Those harmonic bass notes are really beautiful and make the song. From the more melodic side of DT, it's my second favorite behind These Walls.

As a tiebreaker, because TBP appeared in more entreess than LSOAD, it shouldn't be at #34 and LSOAD at #35? Just a suggestion.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #649 on: January 16, 2022, 07:39:55 AM »

As a tiebreaker, because TBP appeared in more entreess than LSOAD, it shouldn't be at #34 and LSOAD at #35? Just a suggestion.

No. They ended up with the exact number of points, and I do not do tiebreakers.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline devieira73

« Reply #650 on: January 16, 2022, 07:58:48 AM »
Ok, this is not a democracy... :D but... I won any prize? ;D ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: January 16, 2022, 11:17:14 AM »

There's two songs I don't have in my Top 100 that are otherwise universally praised... I wonder if either of those made the Top 5. Guess we'll have to wait and see!

Will be curious to see which of us Kev is referring to. I can say with 99% certainty a Top 10 song didn't make my list, I can't gauge if it cracked the Top 5. I believe I have seen enough here to believe it is not "universally" praised.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #652 on: January 16, 2022, 12:48:13 PM »
35 (t) The Bigger Picture #4

It's an honor to be the person who has this at the highest spot on this top 100. This song has everything that I was missing in Dream Theaters music since Systematic Chaos. I love how it goes throughout different atmospheres, moods, and emotions. The bombastic intro is a bit harsh on the ears due to the awful loudness of the mix, it's really on the low end, especially with Mangini's snare sound. But after that, the riff is excellent. Then it get's even better with the piano and JLB's soothing vocals, along with JP's beautiful guitar lines. The way this song progresses and it's structure is quite unique for Dream Theater, in that I haven't really heard a song with this sort of structure. It sort of reminds me of Surrounded, Learning to Live, and Trial of Tears, all songs in my top 10. If there is a song to define the self-titled album, I would consider The Bigger Picture to be that song. I bought the HD version and it's great to hear some noises that were buried in the cd mix. I was so happy to see this song live, and it made it even more special that they played it when they came here. I consider this song to have the best outro of the band, starting from 5:15. This is where the beauty and the moment the vocal melodies make this amazing uplifting mood, it makes me feel euphoric and that things will be alright. It's very encouraging and I can feel this mood in the lyrics, especially "When I see the distant lights illuminate the night, then I will know I am home." This song, to me, speaks that throughout all these mistakes and errors, just remember the bigger picture. "Better to try and fail, than to never try at all."

35 (t) Lifting Shadows Off A Dream #25

This song defines the tone and the sound of Awake. Everything, from the bass harmonics, the keyboard sounds, and the guitar lines all have this sort of cold, delicate, almost moonlit night sort of atmosphere. The music fits the lyrics, while the lyrics describe the music. I actually think the sing-along "Lifting shadows off a dream" in the last chorus could go on a bit more longer, or be extended into a cool guitar solo outro. I love the song for it's beautiful scenery described in the music and lyrics interplay, and the tone of the keyboards. I feel this is a good spot for it's ranking, and it does fluctuate a bit higher when in the right mood, and I am right now.  :biggrin:

I am actually quite glad these two ended up in a tie together. Two songs that actually go well when listened to after one another.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: January 16, 2022, 01:12:29 PM »

It's an honor to be the person who has this at the highest spot on this top 100.

Really??!  :lol

Offline NoFred

« Reply #654 on: January 16, 2022, 01:35:19 PM »
Going back to These Walls, I should mention that I had it at number 13 also.  It's magic and the atmosphere is just so incredible.

It’s a good one, I had it 29

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #655 on: January 16, 2022, 03:21:52 PM »

It's an honor to be the person who has this at the highest spot on this top 100.

Really??!  :lol

The honor of helping it tie with LSOAD.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #656 on: January 16, 2022, 08:02:41 PM »
Today's two!!

34 The Root of All Evil
Appeared on 23 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 16 (marztacy)

I was one of the three who did not have this is their top 100.  Solid tune, but just feels the hook doesn't quite land.

33 Misunderstood
Appeared on 24 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 4 (ZirconBlue)

Awesome song, with the outro and all. I had this at 16.  It was my highest ranked DT song of the 21st century.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: January 16, 2022, 08:21:18 PM »
2 great songs. Root is my favorite 12SS song, I have at #24.

I loved Misunderstood from the first spin. Rewind to 2002 (or whatever) and 3 songs in to this new DT album and I am floored at the greatness. The outro keeps it from being elite, and I'd think it would be in the 20s for me, but the ranking engine slotted it at #15.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #658 on: January 16, 2022, 08:50:09 PM »
I'm very much behind on my writeups for this, and there's no way I could do even half of the ones I missed without getting burnt out by it.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see Misunderstood rank this high. I honestly didn't expect to see it on this list at all.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #659 on: January 16, 2022, 09:03:28 PM »
34. The Root of All Evil at #21 for me, loved it since first listen. And whenever I hear Shattered Fortress I’m always itching to spin this one afterward, standout track.

33. Misunderstood #38, experimentation is a side of DT I’d like to make a periodic comeback.

Online HOF

« Reply #660 on: January 16, 2022, 09:13:54 PM »
I’ve come to like The Root of All Evil a bit more from revisiting Score lately. I had it at 72, a few spots down from The Glass Prison, but if I reranked them today I’d probably put TROAE first among all of the 12 step songs.

I do think Misunderstood is a pretty cool song, even though I have it down at 53. Really surprised it made it this high though since it seems like one of the more divisive songs in the catalog. The quieter first half of the song before the shouty nu-metal chorus is the best part, and then it wobbles off a bit into questionable territory. But that first part is pretty unique for DT and one of the more interesting passages on SDOIT.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #661 on: January 16, 2022, 10:10:57 PM »
#35  The Bigger Picture - 80. I like it more and more. I just dont choose it to listen that often. I like more energized music most of the time.

#35??  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream. -  not rated for me.. I just never could get into this song.

#34. The Root of All Evil  - 54  this was another one of my first favorites, and I listened to it A Lot at the beginning. Its fallen off more recently as I have so many other songs I want to listen to more. Its a great song, though, and could or should have been higher.

#33. Misunderstood - 89. Really good, just too mellow for most of my listening.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #662 on: January 17, 2022, 12:43:46 PM »
34 The Root of All Evil #33
My second favorite part of the 12 step suite, really great rocker, the solo section is amazing, but its beginning [5:17-5:30] is insanely good.

33 Misunderstood -
Very interesting for what it is and it has a lot of merit in being experimental and really good at same time.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #663 on: January 17, 2022, 02:12:57 PM »
#35??  Lifting Shadows Off A Dream. -  not rated for me.. I just never could get into this song.

That sucks. I’m sorry.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #664 on: January 17, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »

That sucks. I’m sorry.

Fortunately there is a Ton to love, so..it's ok. Who knows though, I may give it some listens and see if its a grower, since it is so popular.