Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53149 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Countdown underway!!)
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
Four more!

76 A Fortune in Lies
Appeared on 19 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 0
Highest Ranking: 12 (ZirconBlue)

I had this at 73, which again feels too low, but they just have too many good songs.  On the list of "best track 1s from a debut," this one rates as above average, IMO.

75 Only a Matter of Time
Appeared on 14 of 26 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 4 (Dream Team)

Always loved this one. Great lyrics, and Kevin Moore knocks it out of the park with his atmospheric tones on the original.

74 This Is the Life
Highest Ranking: 14 (DragonAttack)

This one would have likely rated much higher with me years ago, but I think my aggravation with the muddy mix of A Dramatic Turn of Events has taken a bit of the starch out of this one for me. I still like it a lot and had it at 77, but it feels like it should have been a lot higher.

73 On the Backs of Angels
Appeared on 20 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 29 (geeeemo)

Solid tune, but one I never thought was anything more than that. 

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2022, 09:03:38 AM »
76 A Fortune in Lies (#44)
Amazing song, very impressed when I first heard it on Live at Marquee and still one of my favorites DT openers!

75 Only a Matter of Time (-)
Good song, but not between my favorites from the debut.

74 This Is The Life (#98)
Well written slower song. As for ADTOE songs I rather hear the live versions on blu-ray, where they sound really good.

73 On The Backs of Angels (-)
Strangely I liked it much more at the time of its release. I still love the piano/solo section though.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2022, 09:42:40 AM »
My ranking:

A Fortune in Lies - 73
Only a Matter of Time - 104
This is the Life - 96
On the Backs of Angels - 107

Fortune is a great opener. Just wish the original was a bit clearer. All redo’s with JLB are better.

Never got the love for OAMOT. My least favorite from the debut.

This is the Life is a decent enough ballad.

I’m with Devieira on OTBOA. I liked it a lot more when it was first released, but it didn’t age very well. Pretty “DT by the numbers” track.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2022, 11:15:06 AM »
I generally try to avoid listening to singles or any pre-release bits, snippets and whatnot. But after MP left, I just had to listen to the OtBoA when it was released; I had to know everything was going to be ok. And a couple minutes in to it, I knew it would be. Still a middle of the pack song, but the right song in the right place at the right time.

I didn't put any WDaDU songs very high, I think I only have 1 or 2 on my list. Again basing every song of it's original release.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #389 on: January 02, 2022, 11:26:41 AM »
I generally try to avoid listening to singles or any pre-release bits, snippets and whatnot. But after MP left, I just had to listen to the OtBoA when it was released; I had to know everything was going to be ok. And a couple minutes in to it, I knew it would be. Still a middle of the pack song, but the right song in the right place at the right time.

That's a great way to put it.  Even though neither that song or Build Me Up, Break Me Down are favorites are mine, they were solid little samples before getting to the really good stuff on A Dramatic Turn of Events (see: everything else). Even though I struggle with the album nowadays because of the mix, the songwriting was mostly excellent on that record.  :tup :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: January 02, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
Looking at my list in more detail, I see that ADToE is one of two albums where I have every song included. I might have thought it would be like that when I started the process.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: January 02, 2022, 02:24:04 PM »
79 Ytse Jam
I had this at #39

This is still my favorite DT instrumental. Loved that they played it on the ADTOE tour. Just a classic!

78 The Dark Eternal Night
I had this at #36

I really don't mind the lyrics or James' performance. Musically, this kicks so much ass, especially the mid section.

77 The Best of Times
I had this at #13

This song is great. I have no idea what people have against it. The Intro is outstanding, and I think it's just as effective as the Outro. To me, the lyrics are absolutely perfect. And when people talk about bout a lack of execution, WTF do you want? As far as the Rush part, I barely even detect it. I think it's one of DT's finest tunes.

76 A Fortune in Lies
I had this at #20

I saw this a number of times on their first tour. Plus, I played the shit out of the Marquee version. This song rules. I barely listen to the original with Charlie, but that is still good.

75 Only a Matter of Time
I had this at #25

This was another standout in those early shows. Love the keyboard lines in this. This song is grossly underplayed by DT over the years. I'm glad we have the Budokan version at least.

74 This Is the Life
I had this at #49

I consider this one of DT's finest written songs. It is perfectly crafted. And I like it!

73 On the Backs of Angels
I did not rate this in the Top 100.

This was our introduction to the Mangini Era, and it was a good one. But it is overshadowed by so many great songs on its own album.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #392 on: January 02, 2022, 02:41:47 PM »
A Fortune in Lies - 71, Only a Matter of Time 33.

I’m really surprised how low OAMOT finished, and that AFIL finished ahead of it. I always thought OAMOT was pretty easily the most memorable track on WDADU (though I think I have all of the songs on my list).

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #393 on: January 02, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »
A Fortune in Lies - not rated

Only a Matter of Time - not rated

I have not been able to get into WDaDU. I did listen to the Reunite version just the other day. I like the music. Not the vocal melodies. They really take away from the songs for me. I totally prefer FiF. 7 songs from that made my top 100.

This is the Life - 23 I love this song. I dont always want to listen to ballads, but this a top one for me.

On the Backs of Angels - One of the first 4 songs I heard when getting into Dream Theater. SS, TRoaE, and Home were the other 3. It has all the elements. The clasic piano, great intro, interesting subject. My heart warms every time I hear it start.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #394 on: January 02, 2022, 03:38:46 PM »
So was TBOT the first song we’ve had so far that made someone’s top 10?

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #395 on: January 02, 2022, 03:42:01 PM »
So was TBOT the first song we’ve had so far that made someone’s top 10?

Never Enough was the first song on the list to make someone's Top 10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #396 on: January 02, 2022, 03:44:00 PM »
Pay attention J-Dude! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #397 on: January 02, 2022, 05:02:05 PM »
I’m trying! But Antonio Brown just showed up on my front lawn. It’s distracting and I don’t know what to do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #398 on: January 02, 2022, 05:02:37 PM »
I’m trying! But Antonio Brown just showed up on my front lawn. It’s distracting and I don’t know what to do.

He might need a shirt.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: January 02, 2022, 05:10:13 PM »
I have his #27 Central Michigan replica jersey if he needs one ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #400 on: January 02, 2022, 07:07:05 PM »

He might need a shirt.
:rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #401 on: January 02, 2022, 09:50:53 PM »
A Fortune in Lies
My ranking: Not ranked (#105). A really cool debut song for Dream Theater. I love the intro, with its grand opening and fast playing. This is one of Dominici's better vocal performances, too. Dream Theater would go on to make many better songs and better albums, but I think WDADU is a strong debut, especially with songs such as this.

Only a Matter of Time
My ranking: Not ranked (#129). I've never gotten the hype for this song as being one of the best songs on WDADU. It's good, but there's not much I find remarkable about it. There is one thing I really like, though, and that's the instrumental part starting around 5:40, where it gradually builds up and gets more grandiose. It's a really good finale.

(I'll get around to doing the writeups for This is the Life and On the Backs of Angels later.)

Offline 425

« Reply #402 on: January 02, 2022, 10:20:11 PM »
I've missed a few days and fallen well behind, I see! Catching most of the way up in this very long post, and I'll try to get the rest tomorrow.

Going all the way back to...

96. Afterlife
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #111)

I don't have anything against this song, it just doesn't stand out as much to me as most other Dream Theater songs. I think it's a solid track that shows a lot of the promise that can be heard all over the debut, but it's not quite there yet. I do think it's one of Dominici's best performances with DT.

Interesting to learn that this is one of five WDADU songs. Since I also included five WDADU songs, that means one of my choices didn't make the list. I have my suspicions, but we'll see how they pan out.

95. Forsaken
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #107)

Another song that falls into the category of good songs that just don't stand out enough to quite make the top 100. This one has a charismatic performance by JLB and a good chorus, but just not enough to merit inclusion on my list.

94. Through Her Eyes
My ranking: #95

Listening back to this one, I feel like I might have underrated it a bit, although I generally found it very difficult to order the list from about #70 to #100. This is the weakest genuine song on SFAM by a pretty significant margin, but that doesn't make it a bad song at all; it's just that the album is superb. This is a pretty simple song, but it's a good one. JLB is really good here, and JP's lyrics are well-suited to this moment in the story.  If I was doing this list again, I'd probably push it up into the 80s.

93. I Walk Beside You
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #105)

Another song that I enjoy, but that doesn't stand out quite enough to make the list. I like the verses better than the chorus. And I do like that there's a positive emotion behind this song. That's something I like about several songs on Octavarium, actually; I just don't think the songwriting is always at the highest level.

I do agree with this, though:

The ‘ohhhhhh, when everything is wrong, ohhhhhh when helplessness surrounds you, ohhh…..” segment is one of their best LV/BV combined moments.

92. The Looking Glass
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #114)

Yeah, another one for the good-but-doesn't-stand-out camp. I know this is a standout on DT12 for some people, but I never really got that. I do like that it's a pretty straightforward song structurally, but with a DT twist within the particular sections, and I will say that that solo is nice.

91. To Live Forever
My ranking: #90

Hey, another one where my ranking almost exactly matched the consensus—although I imagine the voting is somewhat shifted due to the fact that some people may not be familiar with it. I definitely haven't listened to it as much as I've listened to most DT songs, since it's not on a studio album, and also isn't on any of the widely-distributed professional live releases.

I love the IAW sound, so it's cool to have a little something else from that era, even if I don't really find it as good as what made the album. That's enough to put it a bit above the good-but-doesn't-stand-out tier. My favorite part is the beginning of the second verse: "The starvation has turned me outside in." I love Charlie coming in on that part on WDADRU, although James probably sings it better on the whole.

90. New Millennium
My ranking: #48

I know some people can't stand this, so I'm not surprised to see it this low, but I absolutely love it. It's got a different vibe with the Chapman stick and that oddball intro, but it also has that sense of drama that I love about 90s Dream Theater.  To me it has everything you could ask for in a Dream Theater song except soaring vocal melodies, but James turns in a pretty good vocal performance, especially considering his limitations at that time. The instrumental section is really fun.

89. Vacant
My ranking: #15 (highest placement for this song)

I completely understand ranking some of the longer, more complex songs higher than this one, but this is just a beautiful, emotionally gripping piece. Everything is in just the right place. And what's more, it doesn't feel out of place at all on Train of Thought, and in fact enhances Stream of Consciousness by preceding it.

I have a little trouble listening to this now for personal reasons (actually a sort of true for New Millennium, too), but it remains among my favorite songs, and it's still a marvel to listen to on the occasions when I do.

This is one of the five I expected I might have the highest ranking on. We'll see how the other four pan out (actually, looks like one recently dropped and someone else put it even higher than me). Sad to see this fall so early; I expected an early exit, but hoped for it to land somewhere in the 70s.

88. A Life Left Behind
My ranking: #42

I think #42 might have been a little overzealous for this one (I did the ranking while I was having a bit of a renaissance with The Astonishing), but I don't think it's far off. This is the best song on the album. It blends familiar elements of Dream Theater songwriting with the more organic sound and storytelling orientation of The Astonishing to create the best song on that album.

Faythe is my favorite Astonishing character, so I like the focus on her change of mind in the first part of this song. "Tomorrow a new sun will rise, and somehow I'll find you" is a nice moment. And the sinister turn at the end is well-executed.

87. Ravenskill
My ranking: #65

Interesting to see two songs that are back-to-back on The Astonishing end up back-to-back on the list. I think A Life Left Behind is somewhat better than this one, but they're both good. Listening to them now, I actually think they're even closer than their placement on my list suggests. I like Ravenskill as a piece of storytelling. I do agree that it doesn't feel entirely cohesive as a song, but I don't mind that much. To me, the second half (after the guitar kicks in) is better than the first. Again, it's more Faythe storyline, which is good.

86. The Path That Divides
My ranking: #69

Another one of my favorite songs from The Astonishing, and again it's because the storytelling is integrated really well with the music. I also like the dash of symphonic metal around 2 minutes in with the choir. Lyrically, I really like the touch of having Arhys say "There will be no betrayal tonight" and then Daryus say "You chose the wrong man to betray." Clever way to show the different mindsets of the two characters.

85. Three Days
My ranking: #84

I don't think I rate this quite as highly relative to the rest of the album as most others do, but I still find it to be one of the better songs there. I really like the intro and outro, and the verses are pretty cool, but I don't love the "Bow down to Nafaryus" chorus. It's cool to hear one of those quirky 20s-sounding Dream Theater sections turned into a song and tied into the storyline, though!

84. Moment of Betrayal
My ranking: #55

My other contender for best song on The Astonishing along with A Life Left Behind. This is just good Dream Theater, tied into a dramatic moment in the storyline. Really awesome chorus, riffs, and a fun instrumental section. I'm surprised I came this close to being the highest ranking for this, given the really high scores that other TA songs have received.

83. The Gift of Music
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #103)

This one was on my initial list as it came off the ranking engine, but I bumped up a few of the songs that I found to be too low, and this one was just ever-so-slightly pushed out. I feel now like I might have underrated it a bit, but I don't know what I'd bump for it.

I like it, though. It doesn't quite have the standout sections and story highlights that the Astonishing songs above it has, but it's solid all the way through. And I do like "My brother Gabriel is all the hope we need."

82. Constant Motion
My ranking: #93

Haters can hate, this is a fun song. A few years ago I would have had it 20 or 30 places higher, but high 80s/low 90s feels about right for it now. But I'm a longstanding defender of MP's vocals. Count me as a fan of the chorus, count me as a fan of "Insane random thoughts of neat disorder," all of it. I think part of the hate for the lyrics might come from MP's dubious claims around this time about OCD, which I definitely understanding objecting to, but there is a real psychological phenomenon that he's describing here, even if it isn't OCD, and he does at least a decent job of it.

81. Honor Thy Father
My ranking: Unranked (approximately #113)

This is the only song from Train of Thought that didn't make it for me, and it's another one in the camp of good-but-doesn't-stand-out-enough. I enjoy this song whenever I do listen to it, but even though I've heard it dozens of times at least, I still have a hard time calling parts of it to my mind. I wouldn't pull it off the album by any means; it really fits in. But it doesn't quite belong on my top 100.

80. The Silent Man
My ranking: #38

Completely with those who love this song. It's not one I would have put this high a few years ago, but it's grown on me a fair amount over the years, while other songs have faded some. Just a really beautiful acoustic song, with great vocals by James, interesting lyrics, and that nice little acoustic solo by JP.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #403 on: January 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM »
I'm way behind on this...(Just an FYI, my Astonishing remarks will be quite long as this album is my second favorite by the band)

87 - Ravenskill: #75

Even though I rank this at 75, It's an amazing song, I just prefer the other ones more. I love the way it starts calm and soft, representing Faythes curious, mysterious, and hidden disguise. When the full band comes in after Faythe meets Xander and the narrator says, "Hopeful and innocent, sensing no danger" the music behind that I see as Xander being that young boy who is fascinated with this strange women and is just giddy and glad to help her out. I can even hear the transition of the scene from the plaza into the Rebel Training Camp, it's right after "when she sheds her disguise". Then you have Faythe's desperate, almost angry cry of "It's not like that, I can't go back, hope fades away with each passing second", JLB sounds awesome there and that echo after "second" is like everyone in silence as her forceful plea echoes throughout the Rebel Camp. I enjoy the overall story-telling this song accomplishes. Even the water fountain noise is pleasant. I honestly think this is an amazing live song and one I would not mind hearing live as it does stand on it's own as a sort of mini-epic.

86 - The Path That Divides: #68

The crickets are great for setting the atmosphere of an overshot zooming into the night of Heavens Cove where NOMACS sit silent. As Arhys remembers Gabriels words of "the path that divides" (a big part of the concept), the music represents his realization and final decision to what "Path" to choose. The fast pace conversation between Daryus and Arhys is neat musically, and it was quite fascinating to see live. Then you start to get all the characters slowly arriving at Heaven's Cove with Xander being a sneaky child and watching his father fight Daryus. Which is sad what happens to Arhys knowing Xander is witnessing it all occur. This song has one of the best Dream Theater endings ever, the bass, drums, keys, guitar leads doubling LaBries vocals is why I love the album a lot. Just the way JLB sings, "You chose the wrong man to betray" followed by JP's guitar lead part is amazing. It was fantastic Live and I think it'd be cool to bring this out live, regardless of how much of a spoiler it is to the concept. One last thing, I don't mind the battle samples at all, they actually fit the rhythm of the music as well.

85 - Three Days: #52

This ranks almost in my Top 50. I enjoy the swing style of the song to represent Nefaryus sort of tangoing and toying with Gabriel because he noticed the connection between Gabriel and Faythe. Nefaryus with this tango let's Gabriel and the town of Ravenskill know who the leader is and uses his NOMACS, which follow along with his declaration shown with JR's keyboard tone. I like how it changes into the Imperial Guard Chorus when the townsfolk or the Rebel Militia take Gabriel to their hideout, and the townsfolk and some of the Rebel Militia listen to Nefaryus' frightening decree. The ending is cool too because I just see the townsfolk left in distraught and the following chaos that they are now left with after Gabriel played his song. I would also like to see this song live with the same video and lightshow for the ending as they did on the live shows.

84 - Moment of Betrayal: #50

The one that did make my Top 50. I enjoy the pacing of this song. Being mainly a thought dialogue between Arhys and his brother, there's lines where he is talking to himself and his brother. The music reflects the turmoil and guilt of betraying his brother, when he tells him the heroic reasons for meeting him at Heaven's Cove. This is where it all unfurls as Arhys sends Gabriel to the place where the outcomes of everyones "Path That Divides" choices occur. I think this song would be a great way to start a show, it was great after the intermission and after 2285 Entr'acte.

83 - The Gift of Music:  #58

I couldn't stop listening to this when it was first released as the first glimpse into the world of The Astonishing. The guitar intro caught my attention right away and I knew this was gonna be good. It did not disappoint either. This is where I see us being introduced to the Narrator who glides in and like a NOMAC hovers around, sort of like NAVI ( :lol ) who guides us along through the world. We see the landscape, soar pass the Great Northern Empire palace, and lastly, we zoom into the town square of Ravenskill where Arhys, surrounded by the people, declares he has a found the Shepard who is the revolution to save them all. His gift being music and how much of an impact it has, which Arhys has noticed whenever Gabriel plays music, enough to stop the songbird from singing to hear his music. It's 58 because I enjoy the other ones more, but it's better being connected with the DOTN and DO.

...I'll catch up in another post...too much to type in one post.  :biggrin:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:57:22 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (SUBMISSIONS PERIOD OVER)
« Reply #404 on: January 03, 2022, 04:08:46 AM »
I will probably start off by listing 2-4 a day, give or take, and see how that pace works as far as discussion and whatnot goes.

Away we go...

100  The X Aspect
Appeared on 15 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 18 (TAC)

Very nice song.  And how can you not like a song that features bagpipes?? :)

For that sole reason alone, this may be the worst song DT ever recorded :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #405 on: January 03, 2022, 06:25:28 AM »
Two this morning, I will post a few more for today this evening.

72 Raise the Knife
Appeared on 18 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 18 (jammindude)

I had this at 67, so this seems about right.  Very nice song.  A bit of a bummer that we never got a finished studio version, but the demo one is good, and the live one on Score is damn good.

71 As I Am
Appeared on 21 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 30 (Laughingplace56, DragonAttack)

This one dropped a bit for me after I did the rankings engine, landing at 91.  Good song, lots of fun to crank.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #406 on: January 03, 2022, 07:55:00 AM »
9 songs behind so the keep this short: I like all the songs.  :laugh:

Only A Matter of Time has always been my favorite song on WDADU. Love the music and the lyrics, and the Budokan version is excellent. Raise the Knife on Score is an amazing performance, and I think not having a proper studio release of the song makes it more unique honestly. Would love to see it make an appearance in a set someday. Love TDEN and AIA as fun metal songs, and JP’s solo in AIA still stands as one of my favorites. Looking back I think I may have ranked OTBOA a little too high at 34, but I still love the song. The only song from this batch to not make my list is This is the Life; I like it and the main melody is beautiful, but they definitely have at least 100 better songs lol.

My rankings:

Ytse Jam: 88
The Dark Eternal Night: 40
The Best of Times: 97
A Fortune in Lies: 66
Only A Matter of Time: 45
This is the Life: n/a
On the Backs of Angels: 34
Raise the Knife: 54
As I Am: 30

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: January 03, 2022, 08:02:32 AM »
80. The Silent Man (#68)  nice finish to the trilogy.

79. Ytse Jam (#24) I purchased WDADU around ’07.  This stood out then, and still does.  A highlight of OIAL, a treat to see it performed with MM. Not sure why it wasn’t on ‘Luna Park’, glad it was on ‘Happy Holidays’. To think that a group of 20-21 year olds could write something like this is damn impressive.

78. The Dark Eternal Night (NR)  I’m surprised that the LVs of this aren’t shredded.  Not on my SC version.  A very surprising opener (to me) a couple of tours ago.

77. The Best of Times (NR)  great intro, and one of JPs top leads to finish. A shame the guitar is not on the instrumental version, which I do listen to on occasion. 

76. A Fortune in Lies (NR) no dislike for anything from this album, but not rated for the same reasons as others list for the debut album.

75. Only a Matter of Time (NR) see #76

74. This Is the Life (#14) another uplifting one for me, telling me to quit harping on past failures, and appreciate what I have now.  The guitars throughout speak to me even more!  Another of my wife’s favorites. Emotionally moving in concert.

73. On the Backs of Angels (#32)  this showed they were back (including Jordan's piano).  Hey, it got them a Grammy nomination, so we would at least know what they looked like in tuxedos!

72. Raise the Knife (#74) introduced to it via ‘Score’, and then later on.  They should have found a place for it on FII.  If allowed, I would have ‘Cleaning Out The Closet’ as one of my Top Ten DT ‘albums’.

71.  As I Am (#30 as the previous poster)  one of the few I like from ToT, and I obviously really like it.  I’ll always remember the ‘moving eye’ on the video screen in concert, as well as the many ‘youngsters’ head banging to this in front of me.  For that reason, it’s odd that it doesn’t find its way occasionally into their live set.  I like the clever word play with ‘justify you’ and ‘just deny you’

« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:48:12 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #408 on: January 03, 2022, 08:38:10 AM »
Lots of catching up to do, which I will do later today or tomorrow, but in general so far there's a lot of songs (EDIT: 9, I counted) that didn't make my own list. Nice to see Raise the Knife in there, although I'm a bit sad that given Kev's earlier comment this means that Another Won, Eve or Cover My Eyes won't be in there, all songs I voted for.

Also, someone ranked The Dark Eternal Night even higher than me! That's a surprise :)

Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: January 03, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
That's about where Score's Raise the Knife would be on my list. That was a trip seeing the setlist for that release and not recognizing 2 of the songs in the first set!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #410 on: January 03, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »
79 Ytse Jam #25
78 the Dark Eternal Night #77
77 the Best of Times
76 a Fortune in Lies #68
75 Only a Matter of Time
74 This Is the Life
73 On the Back of Angels #96
72 Raise the Knife #-
71 As I Am #46

Although I am one of a few who loves Black Clouds & Silver Linings, the Best of Times is not listed in mine. The story is beautiful, the piece isn't bad actually, it's very nice. But there's so much te choose from, with Dream Theater.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #411 on: January 03, 2022, 01:36:10 PM »
Raise the Knife (#46)
This song is amazing, specially all the instrumental section in the middle - Love that part at 7:40 on Score version, and it should have been on FII.
As I Am (#59)
Black Album riffs, great pre-chorus and a killer solo, even including a small drum solo! Nice...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2022, 06:10:47 PM »
Get ready for a few firsts and a last!!

70 S2N
Appeared on 20 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 16 (bosk1)

Another song I underrated at first.  It didn't make my initial list, but snuck in at 97 on the redo.  Very good song, one a lot of people really love.

69 Hollow Years
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 7 (HOF)

I had this at 43, and I suspect I am in the minority of those whose higher ranking is based off of the original studio version and not the Budokan live version.  Love the laid back vibe of this song, and the melodies are glorious.   I believe this is the first song to be featured that was in two top 10s.

68 A New Beginning
Appeared on 18 of 26 entrees
Highest Ranking: 19 (devieira73)

The last song we see in the top 100 from The Astonishing!  My number 47 song, this one screamed instant classic right away, merely off of the strength of that guitar solo, which was just incredible to see live.  I sure hope this is one they bring back live soon.

67 Beneath the Surface
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 1 (Cool Chris)

The first song to be number 1 on someone's list!!   This is another that feels like I am underrating, as it only finished at 65 on mine.  I loved them finishing A Dramatic Turn of Events with a song like this. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2022, 06:51:38 PM »
So, yeah, if you asked me 5 times what my favorite DT song was, 1 out of those 5 times I'd say Beneath the Surface. When I ran the ranking engine, I knew it would be in the top 5. When it came out at #1, I was a little surprised, considered that it could be swapped out with anything in the Top 5, and decided to just leave it where it was.

I was highly impressed with ADToE when it came out, and loved how they closed the album with this. For basically their whole catalog, they put the longest, most "epic" song at the end. And here, in a potentially make-or-break situation with one of their founding members gone, they closed the album with this beautiful gem. Bonus personal points for this being released shortly after the birth of my first kid, and me playing this song to her at night while rocking her to sleep.

Never liked S2N much, didn't make my Top 100. Hollow Years was one of a couple saving graces on FII for me, but I don't care much for it now.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2022, 07:27:24 PM »
I messed up, don't know how but BTS did not rank for me, and that was a mistake. I think it would have probably landed somewhere between 50-70, but somehow I forgot to add it.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2022, 07:27:41 PM »
That's a great story about your daughter and Beneath the Surface, Chris. Thanks for sharing that.  :tup :tup

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #416 on: January 03, 2022, 07:44:47 PM »
Kev, you keep this moving! Here’s how the last 13 measure up in my list:
79 Ytse Jam – 35
78 The Dark Eternal Night – didn’t make my top 100
77 The Best of Times – 54
76 A Fortune in Lies – 71
75 Only a Matter of Time – 18
74 This is the Life – 58
73 On the Backs of Angels – 53
72 Raise the Knife – 23
71 As I Am – didn’t make my top 100
70 S2N – 70
69 Hollow Years – didn’t make my top 100
68 A New Beginning – 79
67 Beneath the Surface – didn’t make my top 100

With my fondness for WDaDU being as high as it is, it’s no surprise that I’d rate YJ much higher than many others; same for OaMoT. Both YJ and OaMoT are excellent tracks, tho there are a few others on the album that I would rate higher than either of these, two of which I know won’t make the list.

Also surprising to no one who knows me that TDEN didn’t make the cut, nor the overplayed AIA or BtS (sorry Cool Chris!) HYears also didn’t make it since I was using the album versions of each song as my barometer. Had I based it on the L@B version, then there’s no doubt it would’ve made the cut.

As I predicted, RtK was the other non-album cut to make the list (other than TLF and obviously ACoS), and ANB was the final track from TA to make it. Couldn’t agree more with Kev in the comment that the guitar solo is what moved me to rank it as high as I did. For me, it’s kinda like JP channeling Joe Satriani in that solo (which is a good thing, IMO). And really, the same could be said to a lesser degree for TBoT (that the moving guitar solo elevated the song to a much higher position than otherwise).

Both TitL and OtBoA are good, middle-of-the-pack songs from ADToE, IMO. And especially in the case of TitL, I rate it much higher than I do it’s IaW counterpart (AD). On the other hand, I favor PMU much more over OtBoA.

Finally, I’m surprised to see that my rating for S2N is exactly the same as the final tally. Great tune from one of DT’s better MM-era albums. Glad that they finally put JM’s groovy bass riff to good use after sidelining it for most of the d/t writing session! Only thing is I can't see DT ever performing it live or else JL is gonna be completely out of breath with all those rapid fire vocals!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #417 on: January 03, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
72 Raise the Knife
I had this at #31.

Really cool song that I wish made the FII cut. The Score version is immense.

71 As I Am
I had this at #91

I honestly have never cared for this song, but in the past year or so, I find myself really enjoying it. It has aged pretty well. Slipped in at the end of my list.

70 S2N
I had this at #63

Thick and technical. A precursor to A View.

69 Hollow Years
No rated

When I rated this, I stayed true to the FII version, which kind of blows. But the B8dokan version is so freaking amazing.

68 A New Beginning
I had this at #53

This song benefits from this great cover!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4xzn6fz07I

This really made me see how great this is. I mean, I liked it at first anyway.

67 Beneath the Surface
I had this at #58

Excellent tune. Especially when James raises his voice at the end. ADTOE was a special album and this is such a great ending.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #418 on: January 03, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
My ranking for this batch:

Raise the Knife - 18
As I Am - 36
S2N - 109
Hollow Years - 82
A New Beginning - 72
Beneath the Surface - 37

I'm honestly shocked that a great epic like Raise the Knife doesn't get more love than it does.  Just a brilliant track.

As I Am is honestly one of my favorite album openers of all time.  Just a perfect way to kick off that album.  You'd have a hard time picking an opening track that sets the theme of the album better than AIA

S2N - is ok, but it's a middle of the pack song from a middle of the pack album.

Hollow Years is beautiful and I'm sorry I didn't rank it any higher.  And yet, I just checked and this final ranking of 82 was higher than it made on my first two tries.  I guess it just doesn't survive the "head to head" matches that well.

A New Beginning is a fantastic way to end Act I of TA, and if I have any beef with it, it's that it sounds like it was faded out too early (possibly to accommodate time restraints of disc 1?)

Beneath the Surface might be one of their most beautiful ballads ever.  In fact, I just checked and I only have 2 ballads rated higher than this song.   Chris?   You sang this to your kid?   This is such a sad song!  This song is personal to me for a very VERY different reason.   My wife and I have been married for 23 years but this came out during a time when we were almost completely indifferent to each other's existence.   To me, this song felt like exactly where we were at that time.  (we're slowing pulling out of it...but ya, this song still reminds me of being in that place)

Online HOF

« Reply #419 on: January 03, 2022, 08:37:42 PM »
Raise the Knife is great, both the demo and Score versions. I have it at 27, a few spots higher than Pull Me Under for perspective.

Hollow Years is a definite favorite from DT and always has been. When I first heard FII, I was a bit lost with it until it got to Hollow Years. That’s when it clicked that “this is a more mature effort from DT than just doing crazy shred stuff.” It’s everything I love about DT. DT, at least for the first 5-6 albums, did great ballads. Also, the Budokan version blows and is everything that the original wasn’t, but for the worse.  :P
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 09:22:56 PM by HOF »