Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 53137 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)
« Reply #1085 on: February 03, 2022, 04:09:02 AM »
My top 20;

20. The Great Debate
19. Honor They Father
18. Trail of Tears
17. Innocence Faded
16. Fatal Tragedy
15. In the Name of God
14. The Mirror
13. These Walls
12. Behind the Veil
11. At Wit's End
10. The Count of Tuscany
9. The Glass Prison
8. Scarred
7. Metropolis
6. Blind Faith
5. Illumination Theory
4. A Change of Seasons
3. Learning to Live
2. Octavarium
1. This Dying Soul
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1086 on: February 03, 2022, 05:32:55 AM »
Regarding future lists of other bands you could do, I'd be interested in participating in one for Haken or Porcupine Tree (although they'd have to be reduced to a Top 50).

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1087 on: February 03, 2022, 10:02:49 PM »
Regarding future lists of other bands you could do, I'd be interested in participating in one for Haken or Porcupine Tree (although they'd have to be reduced to a Top 50).
I'm fairly certain there are enough songs by Porcupine Tree to do a top 100. Haken not so much.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 01:35:35 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: February 03, 2022, 10:54:18 PM »
4. Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper (intended #6)  deserves all the accolades it receives.  It has the most memorable and spotlight moment for JM.  The song also spawned a later album. 

3. Octavarium (#10) if for nothing else but ‘The Razor’s Edge’, which would be my ultimate setlist concert closer.  fwiw, on my ‘best of III’, it closes with BAI, and ‘Score’ versions of TSCO and this song.  I always play it when returning from overnight trips with the wife, especially after NYC.  "We move in circles, Balanced all the while, On a gleaming razor's edge. A perfect sphere, Colliding with our fate, This story ends where it began”  Hell, we’ve driven around a couple of extra blocks just to hear the whole song as our story ends where it began ;)  (but with ‘thank you, New York’ shouted by JL and later MP)  JP makes that guitar sing, and to be able to play it and pose the way he does at the end….pure air guitar heaven!

2. A Change of Seasons (#87)  totally enjoy the beginning, various other parts, but as mentioned earlier, I’m not a big fan of most 12+ minute songs.  And yet, being 'old school' (or just 'old'),  I've listened to just an 'album side' of a CD too many times to count.

1. Learning to Live (#42) I placed ‘Wait For Sleep’ at #41.  Of course I’ve always enjoyed this.  Guess it got overshadowed by all that appears earlier.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:04:34 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1089 on: February 03, 2022, 11:05:59 PM »
Here's my top 20.....just because I can ;) but SO many great songs left out :'(

1. Metropolis, Pt. 1
2. A Change of Seasons
3. Voices
4. In the Name of God
5. The Glass Prison
6. Octavarium
7. Overture 1928 / Strange Deja Vu ;)
8. Endless Sacrifice
9. Trial of Tears
10. Dance of Eternity
11. Peruvian Skies
12. Fatal Tragedy
13. Home
14. Erotomania
15. Learning To Live
16. Lines in The Sand
17. Surrounded
18. The Mirror
19. Through Her Eyes
20. Lost Not Forgotten

Offline 425

« Reply #1090 on: February 09, 2022, 12:07:48 AM »
I keep meaning to do writeups on the top six and keep delaying... Here they finally are, in case anyone still cares:

6. Breaking All Illusions
My ranking: #3 (tied for highest placement of this song)

I'm very happy with this landing spot for a song very late in the band's career. This has been one of my favorite Dream Theater songs since shortly after I first heard ADTOE. It stood out to me immediately as a special track, and pretty quickly reached elite status for me. What can I say about how great this one is? There are just so many wonderful melodies all over this song. It's grand and uplifiting, with beautiful lyrics that pair perfectly with the music. The first few minutes (from the intro through "My spirit brings me home") are especially wonderful, as is Petrucci's enchanting solo.

When I did my top 50 thread in 2014ish, this was my number one. And I could still make a case for it as my favorite song today. There are just two songs that I come back to a little more often.

5. Voices
My ranking: #14

This is a fantastic song that just falls short of my top ten. Like a lot of their best songs, but to an even greater extent than most, this song is characterized by dynamics. There are some incredible quiet sections, like the first vocal part and the "I'm kneeling on the floor" section, and intense, heavy sections. Awake is probably JLB's best album overall, and he definitely offers an incredibly varied performance here that hits the right tones for every part of the song. And then, of course, there's the JP solo.

The main thing that's holding this back from the top ten is probably the fact that I don't connect with the lyrics as well as I do on most of the songs that are higher. That's not a dealbreaker, but it's something that makes a difference when comparing songs that are very close.

4. Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper
My ranking: #2

What can be said about Metropolis Pt. 1 that hasn't been said many times before? As Kev put it, this feels like the definitive Dream Theater song, the song that sums up everything great about them in under ten minutes. And it comes close to being the Dream Theater song for me. There are so many incredible twists and turns, changing melodies and rhythms moving in and out of one another, and yet the whole thing feels completely cohesive. The instrumental section is definitely the longest and most complex piece of instrumental music that I can imagine start to finish in my mind. It's so zany, yet there's a logic and a structure to it all. The best part in that section for me is definitely the keyboard/guitar unison, which is good melodically while also being incredibly impressive.

Amidst all those acrobatics, there's a lot of heart to this one, some really powerful emotional moments, even though the lyrics aren't fully sensical. "The night shed a tear to tell her of fear / And of sorrow and pain she'll never outgrow." "I was told there'd be no one to call on when I feel alone and afraid / I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire," and then the whole entire section after that. Those moments are really powerful. And JLB is straight-up dominant on this song. With no true chorus and seemingly one verse after another, he has to really put his voice through the paces, and does an incredible job of it.

This is a song I absolutely never get tired of, and always enjoy listening to. It's one of my favorite songs in the world.

And it's not my favorite song on Images and Words.

3. Octavarium
My ranking: #4

Some people debate chocolate vs. vanilla, some people debate Ford vs. Chevy, we debate A Change of Seasons vs. Octavarium. Count me as a partisan on the Octavarium side of that debate. I'll explain why A Change of Seasons ends up outside my top ten on the writeup for that song, but as to why Octavarium lands at #4:

I love a good buildup. It's one of the things in music that excites me most, and the grandiosity of the buildups you hear in the genres is one of the reasons I love metal and prog. Octavarium, to me, is the ultimate build-up. If you know one that you think is better, please tell me what it is, either so I can tell you you're wrong or hear it myself. This song builds stage by stage for almost 20 minutes! Each stage is melodically interesting in its own right, but also clearly carries momentum forward into the next stage. Count me as a lover of every second of the three minute and twenty-six second continuum intro, the bass pedal solo, the moog solo, the jingle bells part, all of it. The transitions between sections are particularly excellent—just think of the magic in the transition from the continuum/steel guitar intro to Someone Like Him, the moment where the bass motif of Medicate kicks in, the moment where the Full Circle keys kick in, and, of course, the part where the song settles in for the Intervals vocal section.

The build is masterfully executed both over the course of the 20 minutes and within the Intervals section itself, structured perfectly to make "Trapped inside this Octavarium" a moment of incredible tension and release. And then Razor's Edge pays it off completely. The delay and the little keyboard moment after the last "this Oct- a- var- i- um," the kick in of the orchestral part, JLB's soaring vocal, and then that solo... it's perfect.

There are days when this could be my favorite Dream Theater song. The reason I have it at #4 is because I have a greater emotional connection with the top three songs. They touch me because of their lyrics and the paired music, while Octavarium doesn't have that emotional touch. It is a perfectly constructed thrill ride that makes me feel profound admiration for the musicians who made it, and there are moments that touch me (especially in the first two sections and Razor's Edge), but it doesn't speak to my life experiences the way that Breaking All Illusions and #1 do, and its touching moments aren't nearly as powerful as those in Metropolis. Still, it's an utterly amazing experience.

2. A Change of Seasons
My ranking: #17 (interesting that my rankings of this and the next one are identical to TAC's)

This is a song I like a lot, but have never put in very highest class of Dream Theater songs. I think it's grown on me some over time; as I recall, I had it somewhere in the 30s back in 2014, but now have it in the top 20. It has a lot of parts that are very good or great, including some that are emotionally powerful (the end of Carpe Diem, Another World, The Crimson Sunset). But I think a lot of the parts are only very good, not great. For example, the Innocence section. It's good, I like listening to it, but it doesn't have that something extra.

Another World, on the other hand, is absolutely superb, easily the best part of the song. A great exercise in tension and emotion, with a wonderful JLB performance. And The Inevitable Summer is an excellent instrumental follow-up. Actually, the whole second half is superb, quite a bit stronger than the first half, in my opinion.

The whole song is greater than the sum of its parts, but only somewhat better. I think this is actually one of their less cohesive epics, certainly less cohesive than Octavarium or In the Presence of Enemies. That's not a mortal sin, but it's the sort of thing that translates to a top 20 placement instead of a top 10 one. (Incidentally, I find it interesting that people accuse Six Degrees of feeling like a bunch of songs put together, when I think that it and A Change of Seasons fall in about the same place on the spectrum of "smaller songs put together" to "unified long piece.")

This is definitely a piece that deserves a place in Dream Theater's hall of fame, but for the reasons I've given, I wouldn't put it in the inner circle.

1. Learning to Live
My ranking: #1 (tied for highest placement of this song)

Yay, the right choice was made! :D

There were years where I would have named Breaking All Illusions my #1, but this is the song that means most to me (definitely by DT, probably by anyone), and this is the song that has to be #1.

Musically, I'll just say that this is a perfect song. It's brimming with melodies, it combines the technical and the emotional in a way that comes down a little closer to the emotional end of the spectrum than Metropolis, which is good, while still having plenty of fireworks (the solo right after the F#5? insane). All the players are clearly present and contribute important elements, including a lot of bass, which is cool. It also reprises another top five song, Wait for Sleep, casting its main piano part in a different context. JLB is incredible, and brings all the right emotions. The F#5 is a defining moment for him, and the solo section that contains it is a defining sequence for the band.

The lyrics here are amazing, and are in complete accord with the song emotionally. They've always struck a chord with me. They're uplifting and inspiring, acknowledging struggle while never treating it as the final word on human life. I have to say, events in the world and in my life in the last couple of years have made this song even more poignant to me. The common fear that's all spread out was, originally, the HIV epidemic, but now it's, well, you know. And there was a time for me recently where it felt all too real to say, "Once I reached for love and now I reach for life" (I'm doing better now).

That final line is perfect, too. "Through nature's inflexible grace I'm learning to live." "Inflexible grace" is just a perfect way of capturing it. Nature is what it is, it doesn't bend to satisfy our wishes. But the world isn't such a bad place for us if we "learn to live," and it certainly has its beauty.

I will never get tired of this song. It's the only choice for my #1.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: February 09, 2022, 07:10:34 AM »
I keep meaning to do writeups on the top six and keep delaying... Here they finally are, in case anyone still cares:

I, for one, am glad you did.  As I mentioned earlier, I wish I could have written my recaps as in depth and half as well as yours. 

I learned a lot throughout this thread, not only about the songs, but had very similar opinions on songs as some others that I had thought we'd be on somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum.  I hope people keep chiming in on this thread.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1092 on: March 04, 2022, 03:22:46 PM »
So Kev, while we're waiting for the Rush thread to get back on track, can you post the full list of DT songs? I'm curious as to how the rest of the songs ranked.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1093 on: March 04, 2022, 07:30:34 PM »
I am pretty sure I put the whole list somewhere in this thread at some point, not in the original post, but cannot remember exactly when or where.  Do some digging and you'll find it. :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1094 on: March 05, 2022, 08:34:30 AM »
I don’t think I ever posted my thoughts on the top two. So I’m hoping to get to that today.

The short version of what’s going on is that after 25 years I finally left the construction trade it to become an electrical inspector for a small local city. i’ve been in the electrical trade for 30 years, but they are training me to become a building inspector as well. So over the course of the last eight weeks I feel like a first-year law student because I’m just cramming my head full of building codes (plumbing…framing…mechanical…fuel gas…everything) and while I’m having a lot of fun doing it, my brain has kind of hit the saturation point and I’m about to explode. Learning code has literally taken over my life the last two months.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude