Author Topic: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (Top 2 revealed!!)  (Read 52707 times)

Offline Laughingplace56

Re: The Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (see inside!!)
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2021, 07:28:42 AM »
One of the things I discovered in putting this list together was how much I enjoyed some of the individual pieces from the astonishing more than I remember.

I’ve always had trouble digesting the massive scope of the astonishing and by the end of 100 minutes it’s all starting to sound a bit blended and same-y.

But when I was going through the ranking engine, I had my music playing program up in another window and I would be constantly referring back to certain tracks thinking, “which one was that again?” and subsequently thinking, “Wow! That’s a lot cooler than I remember.”

I’ve probably gone back-and-forth on the astonishing more than any other album in their catalog. When it first came out I absolutely loved the bravado of the project. But then it didn’t age well because I didn’t think that the individual pieces felt incomplete. But now that I’m getting more familiar with the individual pieces and seeing how they fit into the bigger picture (no pun intended) i’m getting a new appreciation for it again. Still think it’s a lower tier album though

I had a very similar experience. I went back through The Astonishing because it's the only Dream Theater album that I can't rank off the top of my head, in part because it has some many songs, but also because the songs really do combine into a unified whole more than on any other album. My view going into it had been that I probably wouldn't have many TA songs high on my list because they're weaker individually, so I was surprised by how many I just found to be really good songs on their own.

I've been in what seems to be an unusual camp: Neither a hater nor a lover of The Astonishing. I've also gone back and forth on it, liking aspects of it while disliking others. I think going back through it with the mindset of trying to find my favorite individual pieces has finally turned me into an Astonishing fan. It's never going to be among my favorite DT albums, but I definitely have a very positive view of it now.

I also arrived at the conclusion that the story is better than people typically give it credit for being. It has its problems, but it features a cast of characters who grapple with important choices in a dramatic way, and it brings all the storylines together into a climactic scene. It's also pretty clear what's happening the whole time, which is more than can be said for many rock operas. I'd give it around a B+ as concept album storylines go.

I’ve always loved a lot of the music on The Astonishing (11 songs made my top 100); my main issues  with it are there’s a lot of the slower sections throughout that feel boring and lose my interest, and the story/lyrics are suuuuuper cringy. But it’s by no means a bad album, just very different for them, and I’ve always admired their willingness to put out something so different from the rest of their catalogue.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »
I will join, sounds fun!

I think an easy way to do this is to copy and paste the list of songs earlier in the thread into this website (https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/). Just click “Music” as your category, paste the full list of songs in one shot, and it will separate them all into individual choices. Then it randomly puts 2 songs at a time for you to choose from and will automatically rank them for you based on your responses.

WOW! This is amazing, thank you!

Agreed. I have my rankings on hand on Microsoft Word, but this Ranking Engine is a lot of fun, and way easier!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2021, 11:55:42 PM »
Almost done with finalizing my list. About halfway there with listening to make sure the songs are sitting at the right ranking. Some spots were hard and some songs really shifted across from the bottom half to the top and then to the middle. But what I have so far seems to be fine with me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2021, 08:44:40 AM »
PM Sent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2021, 10:12:30 PM »
Almost done with finalizing my list. About halfway there with listening to make sure the songs are sitting at the right ranking. Some spots were hard and some songs really shifted across from the bottom half to the top and then to the middle. But what I have so far seems to be fine with me.

You've listened through all 100 songs?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »

Yes...I really didn't have to, but I felt like giving them a listen cause why not. And I will say, it's a good thing I did because it affected the songs placements, drastically for some songs.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Top 100 Dream Theater songs countdown (submissions due by 12/26!!!)
« Reply #111 on: December 24, 2021, 07:52:34 AM »
Just a reminder that anyone who wants to submit a list has till the end of the weekend!!  Gotta bunch already and welcome more. :hat :hat

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: December 24, 2021, 01:55:45 PM »
Just a reminder that anyone who wants to submit a list has till the end of the weekend!!  Gotta bunch already and welcome more. :hat :hat

Yeah I have a couple of days off now so I'll get one in.  Won't be spending that much time on it.  I reckon I can list pretty comfortably a 100 that would be accurate enough.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2021, 01:56:25 PM »

Yes...I really didn't have to, but I felt like giving them a listen cause why not. And I will say, it's a good thing I did because it affected the songs placements, drastically for some songs.

You must have a lot of free time.

Offline 425

« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »
I did the ranking engine over the last few days. I think it came out with a pretty good list, but there are a few that I'm going to move around. Probably a lot of that is a result of me being a little inconsistent, for two reasons: (1) It's harder than it sounds to confidently and consistently choose between my 40th favorite and my 50th favorite, and (2) I think sometimes I forgot which Astonishing song is which (I've listened to the album a bunch of times, but I still don't have the songs clearly differentiated in my mind).

I'm going to mess around with this list, and maybe try a quick bosk-method list and compare the two, and then I'll try to send it in today.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #115 on: December 24, 2021, 03:11:19 PM »
I have two lists that are quite different after using the ranking engine.

Tomorrow I think I’m going to try a third pass and see how much different (if at all) than my second. But I will definitely be turning something in before the deadline.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #116 on: December 24, 2021, 05:37:44 PM »

More like I had more opportunities to listen to music.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »
I copied the list, and pasted into Excel.  Found and replaced all the numbers with nothing.  Put '1's' in a column for Top Ten, '10's for the next', etc....  then filtered and worked on it from there.  A couple of late changes where I cut and pasted titles, and then did a goof amongst a rotten week and listed a song twice. :facepalm:

Kev caught that. 

Just so you all know, he is checking closely :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2021, 08:16:41 PM »
Well, the only reason I caught it was because when entering your picks on my Excel spread sheet, when I got to the song listed twice, I was like, "Wait, that spot was already taken. Oops." Haha, lol.  All good, though.   :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2021, 01:56:41 AM »

More like I had more opportunities to listen to music.

Oh, silly me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2021, 02:38:40 AM »
Just did my list.  Took about 45 minutes but pretty happy with it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2021, 11:28:17 AM »
OK, I just did my list. I used the Ranking Generator posted earlier in the thread. I couldn't have done it without it.
I'm going to tweak a couple of obvious mistakes and send it tonight.

I wished I had that for my current roulette.

I think I'm going to do a bunch of bands.

Hey, on that, many years ago, someone started a thread that proposed listing the Top 10 songs by your Top 100 artists. I don't think anyone ever posted any results. Does anyone else remember that thread. I could not find it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »
Does ‘by the 26th’ mean I can still send it tomorrow, or do you need to have it before tomorrow?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »
I’m doing a third go round on the ranking engine. And this time I’m taking my time and doing much more “let’s step aside and do a quick A/B comparison” before I choose. So I feel fairly confident that this will be the definitive list.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
I submitted my list just now...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2021, 06:55:47 PM »
Just submitted mine. My top 10 changed very little.

I will say this. All three tries, the bottom two were always the same.

Out of Reach and Prophets of War beat everything to the bottom. Even the Majesty demos.  :angel:

Offline AnotherDimension

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »
When exactly are submissions due?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2021, 07:26:21 PM »

Out of Reach and Prophets of War beat everything to the bottom. Even the Majesty demos.  :angel:
I can get the dislike for PoW, but your hatred for OoR baffles me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2021, 07:27:01 PM »

I can get the dislike for PoW, but your hatred for OoR baffles me.

PoW is awesome! OoR blows! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
PoW is awesome!
Timmy, I know Power Windows is awesome, but we're talking about Prophets of War.  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2021, 07:44:27 PM »
Hah!

Seriously, I cannot believe the grief Prophets Of War gets. I am so thankful they played it in Boston on the BC&SL tour.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2021, 07:49:16 PM »
I enjoy Prophets of War as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2021, 08:12:39 PM »
Does ‘by the 26th’ mean I can still send it tomorrow, or do you need to have it before tomorrow?

When exactly are submissions due?

By end of day tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 08:29:11 PM by KevShmev »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2021, 08:29:41 PM »
DAMN IT. :lol

By end of day tomorrow 12/26.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2021, 09:01:20 PM »

Both made my 100.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2021, 09:11:18 PM »

Both made my 100.

The “reveal party” afterwards is going to be so much fun!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2021, 04:47:09 AM »
Sent mine!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2021, 07:32:23 AM »

Just to touch on this a little, once I start the countdown, as I list each song, I do plan to list how many top 100s it made, who ranked it the highest and where, top 10 finishes, etc.  Just fun little facts like that should make it a bit more interesting hopefully, rather than just listing the song and moving on.  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »

Just to touch on this a little, once I start the countdown, as I list each song, I do plan to list how many top 100s it made, who ranked it the highest and where, top 10 finishes, etc.  Just fun little facts like that should make it a bit more interesting hopefully, rather than just listing the song and moving on.  :)

Cool!