Author Topic: Concerts for 2022  (Read 37789 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Concerts for 2022
« Reply #560 on: September 12, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
A guy at work was thinking about going to see them in Foxboro last week. We were looking at ticketmaster, and the show was not well attended judging on the amount of seats available.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2022, 03:39:02 PM »
How big are they?  How do they afford to cart that from stadium to stadium?
Big enough to sell out stadiums pretty much all over the world, save for the US. Mexico City had to add a second and third show, and all 3 are agotodas. The Coliseum in LA will sell out. The San Antonio show probably will.

@Cram--Another problem with the turnout is that the tickets went on sale in 2019. My show was originally scheduled for roughly the same date in 2020. I wasn't sure if I'd be alive long enough to make the journey, so I've been touting it as a massive victory if I get to see it. And now that It's the middle of three sold out shows, I'm even more stoked. My seat on the flight down should get me a nice view of the stage when we turn onto final, and I'm knocking around riding the metro down for the Saturday night show to try and get some pictures from outside the stadium. Been exploring possible vantage points. Some of those pictures have been badass.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #562 on: September 12, 2022, 03:48:56 PM »

They're pretty huge enough.  I believe they are doing two shows at the USC Coliseum.  If they weren't big enough for that, then they would have downgraded to the Banc of California Stadium next door (which still holds 22,000 people).  A Hockey Youtuber from BC, Canada, that I watch his videos from time to time, is actually flying down for those LA shows as he's a huge Rammstein fan. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: September 12, 2022, 04:22:39 PM »
Big enough to sell out stadiums pretty much all over the world, save for the US. Mexico City had to add a second and third show, and all 3 are agotodas. The Coliseum in LA will sell out. The San Antonio show probably will.

@Cram--Another problem with the turnout is that the tickets went on sale in 2019. My show was originally scheduled for roughly the same date in 2020. I wasn't sure if I'd be alive long enough to make the journey, so I've been touting it as a massive victory if I get to see it. And now that It's the middle of three sold out shows, I'm even more stoked. My seat on the flight down should get me a nice view of the stage when we turn onto final, and I'm knocking around riding the metro down for the Saturday night show to try and get some pictures from outside the stadium. Been exploring possible vantage points. Some of those pictures have been badass.

I feel like the postponements have helped almost every other show I attended this year that was from 2020, so I'm not sold the postponements hurt attendance. 

As for checking the vantage points outside the stadium, I think that's a great idea.  I've seen quite a few of them that look awesome and I kept wondering what the outside of Metlife was looking like with all the fireworks and cloudiness. 

And as others have said, Rammstein are pretty big band as their 2023 European stadium leg is selling like crazy (lots of sell outs).  But I think the US crowd is a bit less interested.  Still, I mean, I Metlife stadium capacity is 82k.  There's still a solid 30-40K in that venue that night.  That's not a small crowd by any means. 

Online geeeemo

« Reply #564 on: September 12, 2022, 05:07:38 PM »
So... I just saw a show that had no business being as good as it was.  Extreme and Aerosmith at Fenway.  I've seen Extreme I think three times before and I've seen Aerosmith more than any band other than Kiss through the years (starting in 1984 with the reunion tour).  I love Aerosmith and I enjoy watching a good hard rock band play.   They certainly did that yesterday.  It's going to perhaps sound like I wasn't thrilled, but I have to say that might be the best I've seen Aerosmith over the years.  Extreme was good, but their sound was ass, and they could have picked a better setlist.

It was a stadium show, which is to say it was very professional.  There were a couple of jams - Draw The Line was killer! - but it was the hits - KILLER set list; they added I think Toys In The Attic and DTL, dropped Full Circle and Big Ten Inch Record from Bangor - done to a high level of skill, but they weren't too far out over their skis.   The sound was excellent and it was a fantastic production.

Steven Tyler is 74 and he looks 60, and sounds 45.  I say this with a nod to the James discussion, but he doesn't sing every part note perfect; there was some restructuring, but he hits all the parts you expect and hits them solid.  He did seem to forget the words a lot, and rather than mumble like he used to, he just sang other lines. I know in Sweet Emotion he sang the "rabbit done died" line I think twice or three times.  Small quibble, but it leads to the next thing:  I know he sounded great, but I got a sense that he was... not phoning it in, he gave a full effort, but that he wasn't in the best mood.  There was little talking to the audience.  At the end, they took a photo with their back to the crowd and he was on the big screen and could be seen to say "Hurry the fuck up!" and he wasn't kidding.   They mingled a bit along the cat walk then he said "good night!" and walked off.  FWIW, my friend Jim disagreed with me on that last point.

Brad Whitford looked 100, and Tom Hamilton looked very... gaunt.  He is a bean pole on the best of days, but he looked really drawn.  He played well though; they did an extended intro to Sweet Emotion to let Steven get back to the stage (he sang Dream On from over the Green Monster) and it was really cool.  Joe Perry is, well, Joe Fuckin' Perry. Solid night from him, especially the intro to Seasons Of Whither.  John Douglas was the drummer and did yeoman's work in holding it all together.

Shout out to Cram and his girl; I met up with them in the intermission; always good to see them (and would love to hear their impressions of the show).

I have been thinking I should see Aerosmith. They were my first favorite band! My girlfriend in 7th grade introduced me. Her parents paid no attention. We would hang out in the basement on the weekends, get our ratty guitars, get high, and pretend all night we were Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. I saw them twice back then. I can even remember more than 40 years later when they opened with Back in the Saddle, Steven Tyler piggy back on Joe f'in Perry!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #565 on: September 13, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »
^^^ HAHA, different circumstances, maybe, but it's that same vibe I always got from Aerosmith.  Just very down home, good old fashioned hard rock music.   "Toys In The Attic" and "Rocks" are everything I think of when I think of "1975 hard rock and roll". 

Honestly, that's still the vibe.  They opened with Back In The Saddle and it kicked ass.   They REALLY sounded good, and other than musicians on stage - a keyboard player and a saxophonist - there's no augmentation AT ALL* that I could tell.

* There was one moment in "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" where I thought, MAYBE, there might have been a touch of background vocals, but then again, I was far enough where the it COULD have been the keyboard player doubling the part and I just didn't see it.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #566 on: September 13, 2022, 02:33:09 PM »
^^^ HAHA, different circumstances, maybe, but it's that same vibe I always got from Aerosmith.  Just very down home, good old fashioned hard rock music.   "Toys In The Attic" and "Rocks" are everything I think of when I think of "1975 hard rock and roll". 

Honestly, that's still the vibe.  They opened with Back In The Saddle and it kicked ass.   They REALLY sounded good, and other than musicians on stage - a keyboard player and a saxophonist - there's no augmentation AT ALL* that I could tell.

* There was one moment in "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" where I thought, MAYBE, there might have been a touch of background vocals, but then again, I was far enough where the it COULD have been the keyboard player doubling the part and I just didn't see it.

Ok. I am going to research when I can get out of town again......

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #567 on: September 13, 2022, 02:47:16 PM »
Since we are back to Aerosmith....

That was an epic day.  Let me start with I've never been to Fenway before so part of the awesomeness of the show was just being in the old ballpark.  We got there about as early as we could since we drove up from NJ and had to check into the hotel.  We walked around the stadium twice to check out the scene.  Really cool bars around, crowded with people.  Also, a marijuana shop which was kind of unexpected but when in Rome... we grabbed a J and the guard told us to go around to the "green ally" where people normally smoke because the cops in Boston are pretty strict (unlike in NY or NJ).  Which honestly, was an awesome spot.  I was feeling pretty damn good in that moment and gave a $10 to the homeless guy chilling back there with us.  We went right into Fenway at 5pm when the gates opened.  I just wanted to walk around and see everything I could inside the venue, and we did, including getting a lobster roll.  We sat next to the green monster while eating it. 

Extreme went on close to 7pm starting with a Nuno star spangled banner intro.  And with the moon just rising above Fenway.  It was quite perfect scenery.  (shared that picture earlier!) I'm not a huge Extreme fan and I don't think they really won me over, but I thought the set was pretty entertaining.  Gary Cherone was pretty wild on stage and Nuno's guitar playing was excellent.  Those two were great, but I don't think they performed a single song that I really connected with.  The highlight of their set might have been their cover of Sweet Caroline and how my gf and I were joking if any band was going to do it (I said no, she said yes so she got to rag on me).  And the worse part of the set was the sound going super low multiple times at random.  It wouldn't completely cut out but if say the master volume was at 8, it would randomly go to 4 before going back to 8.  So odd.

We met up with Stadler between sets which was very nice  :yarr (picture shared in the post your pic thread)

Aerosmith were pretty damn solid for a band celebrating 50 years.  They sounded pretty good overall, I think Steven was a little rough to start but got into a groove and overall sounded pretty good.  I think it's probably because he hasn't really sang in awhile so his voice was fresh.  I wouldn't be surprised if he sounds worse in a couple months after the residency kicks in in Vegas.  Looked like Steven and Joe were getting along well during the show.  (I kind of recall those two not interacting much in 2019 when I saw them).  Also looked like relatives of maybe Steven or someone else in the band were on the side of the stage.  Since it was a hometown show afterall. The set list was pretty solid over all.  Slightly different than what they did in Maine but none of the changes really made me think differently, they delivered the songs I wanted to see. (well OK i would have loved to see Pink) 

Also should mention Bill Burr did an intro video piece about his love for Aerosmith before they hit the stage.  Seemed specific for this show since he mentioned the best band to come out of Boston. 

And they ended the show with a firework show that I'm always a sucker for.  Sadly, they stage show I thought was pretty dull.  Not a whole lot going on other than the Dream On moment.  I don't think the show needed it, but sometimes for a stadium show, the extras go a long way.

After the show, my gf and I walked the entire 3 miles through Boston back to our hotel.  We were riding a post concert high and I had another J from the shop to smoke.  What a fun walk back although our feet were dead after that weekend. 

Aerosmith 50th Anniversary Show with Extreme LIVE @ Fenway Park 9/8/2022

They REALLY sounded good, and other than musicians on stage - a keyboard player and a saxophonist - there's no augmentation AT ALL* that I could tell.

I think there were more than two musicians behind the amps on the stage.  There was a female adding backing vocals and tamborines.  A sax player and a keyboardist.  I wish those players were in better view since they were definitely adding to the live music, which IMO, seemed 100% legit.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall any instances where I felt music was being piped in. In fact, I thought during IDWTMAT band was playing it a bit too fast. (which I will take any day of the week over a click track and/or backing tracks)

Next concert:
September 14th - Five Finger Death Punch, Megadeth & The Hu @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: September 13, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »
The highlight of their set might have been their cover of Sweet Caroline and how my gf and I were joking if any band was going to do it (I said no, she said yes so she got to rag on me). 

For those that don't know, that's the "Seventh Inning Stretch" song at Fenway.  So that was a nice little homage to the hometown.

Also looked like relatives of maybe Steven or someone else in the band were on the side of the stage.  Since it was a hometown show afterall.

I think Steven said that at one point.

There was a female adding backing vocals and tamborines.  A sax player and a keyboardist.  I wish those players were in better view since they were definitely adding to the live music, which IMO, seemed 100% legit. 

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing that woman on the big screen for a second; that would explain what I thought I heard during IDWTMAT.  That's one thing to say about Aerosmith; they are an old school "we're going to play 'em like we know 'em" rock and roll band, always have been, always will be.

Remind me to tell you the story of my daughter eating the ice cream at Fenway; your lobster roll made me think of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: September 14, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »
umm I totally didn't realize until this morning as I was checking my ticket for the show tonight... but I apparently bought two.

So if anyone wants it, I have an extra ticket for Five Finger Death Punch, Megadeth, and The Hu tonight at PNC in NJ to give away. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #570 on: September 15, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
Saw Tenacious D last night, what a fun show  :metal

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #571 on: September 16, 2022, 09:12:54 AM »

Martin Barre, 1/27, Dallas
Bruce Dickinson, 2/28 Dallas
Dream Theater, 3/19 Dallas
Transatlantic, 4/15 Phili
Transatlantic 4/16 New Jersey
Haken, 6/5 Dallas
Aristocrats, 7/14 Dallas
Rammstein, 9/17 San Antonio
Porcupine Tree, 9/23, Dallas
Porcupine Tree, 9/30, Los Angels
Roger Waters, 10/8, Dallas
Nick Mason, 10/17 Dallas
Puscifer, 11/27 San Antonio
Michael Schenker - WASP, 11/6 Dallas

Updated my list to include a six show rampage through Cali and Mexico. Pieces (and prices) all fell together nicely. A handful of Aadvantage points certainly helped, too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 01:13:49 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: September 16, 2022, 02:49:13 PM »
That's a lot of Rammstein and Porcupine Tree, but sounds like a really fun trip you got planned

I talked a bit about it in the Megadeth thread, but here's my full run down from the Five Finger Death Punch, Megadeth, and The HU concert from Wednesday night...

First off, it was a perfect day for an outdoor concert.  It's like that fall weather just flipped on, perfect 70 degrees no clouds weather.  Sadly, the venue was mostly empty.  I knew this going in from looking at all the unsold seats.  I had bought a $25 sale ticket earlier in the year in the 400s and it turns out to have been a really good deal since the 300s were mostly unsold, I ended up sitting in my favorite spot in the venue which was closer to a $70 value. 

Got there at 7:15pm just in time for The Hu to come on.  There was one other opening band who I can't recall but I didn't see any of them.  The HU are a mongolian folk/metal band.  Really interesting music as I haven't seen a band like this at all.  Funny enough, my friends had a band in college that used an Er-hu mixed with progressive metal.  I always wondered if someone The Hu noticed them (they did actually play in China before) or something.  Anyway, very large band with the extre percussions, the strings, and then multiple guitarists and multiple singers.  The HU chants during many of the songs were pretty cool.  They also did a cover of Metallica's Sad But True with HU HU replacing the HEY HEYs which was cool.  Very fun set.  I don't plan on going to buy an album, but I'm very happy I got there in time to see them.

Megadeth were next and I think it sucks they didn't headline, but I thought this was the best set of the 3 times I've seen them.  They just sounded so tight and the sound was also perfect.  The way Dave and Kiko trade off solos was a thing of beauty to watch. I can't complain about only doing 10 songs since they weren't the headliner, but I think it's fair to complain they only played one new song from the album they just released to rave reviews and chart success.  You'd think that would motivate them to play a couple more.  I went to the lawn for the last couple songs to check out the vibe and it was cool to see a lot of young people moshing to them.  I won't mosh ever at this venue because it's on a hill and that seems super unsafe to me, but I'm just glad the people moshing all seemed to be young so that you know Megadeth is reaching the younger metal heads.

The headliners were not for me.  I felt like they were just too generic without really offering anything unique or interesting.  The singer was very active with the crowd though.  I respect that.  He signed things, took selfies, talked to fans between songs, the works basically for being the nice guy front man to all the people who were up front.  However, I thought his voice was weak and I'm assuming the band agress since they had a guy in the back singing and screaming a lot of the main parts.  Also, I thought compared to Megadeth, their sound was not that good.  Usually the headliner sounds the best, not this night.  I also may have gotten spoiled by Rammstein but when a band sings a song with lyrics "burn mofo burn" over and over, there better be pyro! Just came off weak to me, but I do blame this on being spoiled. 

Not my favorite concert of the year or anything, but for $25 bucks and close to home, definitely worth checking out.

Five Finger Death Punch, Megadeth, & The HU LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel NJ 9/14/2022

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #573 on: September 16, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
The HU is awesome.  I saw their show back in 2019 in a small building (about 500 people) in Santa Ana and I think that was their first time touring the states as a headliner and the reception was solid.

I don't have anything to say about Megadeth or FFDP, and neither of those are particular interesting to me enough to see that billing when the tour was in Irvine, CA.  People do like FFDP though.  I think outside of Breaking Benjamin, A7X, Shinedown, and Rise Against, FFDP shirts are usually the most worn shirts, other than the headliner shirts, in the crowds of modern rock concerts I've seen.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #574 on: September 16, 2022, 03:50:15 PM »
Megadeth were next and I think it sucks they didn't headline, but I thought this was the best set of the 3 times I've seen them.
It's funny. I don't even like Megadeth all that much, and yet I've seen them over 15 times. Not many of them intentionally. Either it was a "why not" kind of deal, or they were opening for somebody. I will say, they cranked out the best 15-20 minutes to open a show I've seen. Absolutely blistering and perfectly tight. By the time they stopped playing and Dave addressed the crowd you were worn out from watching it. Good show.

As for PT and R+, you can't have enough. And in the case of R+ I'm seeing them in 3 very different environs, including indoors tomorrow night.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: September 16, 2022, 05:46:29 PM »
Nick Mason, 10/17 Dallas

Curious to read your thoughts (and anyone else's) on this one afterward.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #576 on: September 18, 2022, 04:44:56 PM »
That's a lot of Rammstein and Porcupine Tree, but sounds like a really fun trip you got planned
Part of the reason I added the third Rammstein show in San Antonio is because it was the only indoor stadium on this tour. Made for a really spectacular show and I'm glad I added it. It was brutally loud, but not in a bad way. It was dark inside, so the only lighting before the gig was from those tree things they had out over the floor, which was pretty cool. And what I didn't expect was the smoke from all of that kerosene hitting the ceiling and then settling back down the floor. I checked out some videos and it was kinda like the Fog Bowl, where the people on the ground could see alright, but after Sonne, from where we were we couldn't see the floor, and the stage seemed to be about half as bright as it had been. It was really fucking cool.

This was ten minutes after the show, and you still couldn't see the other side. You can barely see the auxillary stage.  Never seen anything quite like that.

E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: September 18, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
Did they have the full pyro show? The smoke adds to the ambience quite a bit, but I'm not a fan if you can't see the stage after a bit.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #578 on: September 18, 2022, 10:23:27 PM »
Did they have the full pyro show? The smoke adds to the ambience quite a bit, but I'm not a fan if you can't see the stage after a bit.
It was the full pyro show--just closer to the ground, as you can see. And the smoke was wonderful. Most of the show is clear as a bell. For the final 8 songs it becomes a completely different experience. You can still see the stage, but instead of being defuse the lights cut a sharp line through the smoke. You're a pothead--you'd have dug the shit out of it.  :lol

It's also true that I'm a sucker for gratuitous stage smoke.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2022, 06:52:39 AM »
It was the full pyro show--just closer to the ground, as you can see. And the smoke was wonderful. Most of the show is clear as a bell. For the final 8 songs it becomes a completely different experience. You can still see the stage, but instead of being defuse the lights cut a sharp line through the smoke. You're a pothead--you'd have dug the shit out of it.  :lol

It's also true that I'm a sucker for gratuitous stage smoke.

I'm a Rammstein noob, but I love what appears to be the attention to detail.   Very German in it's technical proficiency!  :) :) :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #580 on: September 21, 2022, 02:08:29 PM »
Just scored a freebie to Roger Waters this Friday  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #581 on: September 21, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »
Was supposed to see The Dead Daisies. Had tickets to their last tour around these parts, and they canceled the show with no reason. Picked up tickets for this one, and of course, Glenn Hughes comes down with a throat infection and he's out. They brought in Dino Jelusick to replace him, but we didn't go. He's a great singer, but the allure of the Dead Daisies is Glenn Hughes. I talked to the promoter, and he refused to issue refunds. He said he would have if the band canceled the show, but they didn't so he's not.

I get it, but it's such bullshit. Just reschedule the tour. No one cares about The Dead Daisies enough to go see a replacement singer and replacement bassist fronting Doug Aldrich and Brian Tichy. At least we don't.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: September 21, 2022, 02:49:54 PM »
I recently bought tickets for an Arena concert for October. I'm really eager to watch John Mitchel live
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #583 on: September 21, 2022, 05:28:29 PM »
Updating teh list...
1/16- Tool, Chase Center
2/6- Dream Theater, Fox Theater
3/13- Allegaeon, DNA Lounge
4/23 Dragonforce, UC Theater
6/30- Allegaeon, The X Bar in Santa Clara
7/1- Nemophila, USA DEBUT, Whisky A Go Go
9/9- Aristocrats, Great American Music Hall
9/23- Roger Waters, Chase Center
10/7- Nemophila, Spiritbox, Apopalyctica, Meshuggah, Lamb of God at Aftershock Festival
10/14- Band-Maid, August Hall
11/7- John Petrucci, Palace of Fine Arts

Dropped PT and Sabaton...just too fucking busy for weekday shows right now. Added Waters as stated above.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #584 on: September 21, 2022, 05:40:38 PM »
Next two weeks will be busy and expensive, although I currently only have tickets for Taylor Hawkins Tribute and Porcupine Tree so we'll see how lucky I get with stubhub and other deals  :P

9/22 - Iron Maiden Anaheim
9/23 - Joe Satriani LA
9/24 - Rammstein LA
9/27 - Taylor Hawkins Tribute show LA
9/28 - Roger Waters LA
9/30 - Porcupine Tree LA

Even though I've seen SW solo a bunch Porcupine Tree is probably my most anticipated of this batch  :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #585 on: September 21, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »
The first Iron Maiden show today in Anaheim has tickets going for around $55-70 in the 400 sections on TickPick.  Normally, I would be all for it, but not today.  Let's see if the prices would still be like that for the 2nd show tomorrow.  I may go.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: September 22, 2022, 04:33:53 AM »
I posted my Porcupine Tree review in the dedicated thread for that tour here:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57709.msg2920544#msg2920544

Last Sunday before flying out to Euroland I saw Eric Clapton at the Garden.  I had bought these tickets the day they went on sale because any decent seat was way too expensive for me.  I scored a last row ticket for as all the cheap seats were bought quickly.  It's the same seat (actually one off, but basically the same) as I sat for Roger Waters a few weeks ago.  I must say, for a "cheap" seat at MSG, I actually think this spot is perfect because there's a little nook to stand and have some space. Anyway, I'm not a huge Eric Clapton fan myself, but he's probably my parents favorite musician and I had listened to his music often growing up so in some ways I wanted to go for nostalgia and also wanted to go to see what my parents had seen all those years growing up when my parents would get a baby sitter for 3 nights while they went to the Garden to see his back to back to back shows.

Opener was Jimmie Vaughan.  I was not familiar but I watched the entire 40ish minute set to open. Old school bluesy guitar driven music with a horn section.  Not my thing, but fairly enjoyable, but not much for me to say here. 

Eric Clapton's set was really good.  He started out doing God Save the Queen softly with mostly pianos as you could hear some of the crowd sing along.  Being that he is British, I guess that was his little tribute to the passing of the Queen.  Interesting way to start the show as it was fairly somber, but then the guitars came in and it went right into some bluesy rock.  Lots of guitar jamming  along the way of the opening 6 song electric part of the set.  It ended with his Bob Marley cover of I Shot the Sheriff that got a nice pop from the crowd and I must say, I've always enjoyed his version of this, but it sounded so good live. 

He then went into a 5 song acoustic set wiht some more bluesy jams and guitar awesomeness before finishing up with two of his most known songs, Layla and Tears in Heaven.  The acoustic version of Layla is so good.  And the emotional song of Tears in Heaven really moved the crowd as when he finished, the place erupted with a standing ovation (I think I was the only one standing for the show, in the last row).

He then did another 6 songs electric ending the set with Cocaine that was fantastic and an encore of High Time We Went with Jimmie Vaughan also on guitar with more jamming. 

I do think, this may have been the most quiet concert I've been to in a long time.  And maybe it's because its the genre and an older musician, but you could hear people whispering it was that quiet, and luckily, people seemed to respect that and didn't talk (unlike Roger Waters where the people behind me almost ruined the show).  I would have liked it to be a bit louder, but I respect the audience for being quiet other than the appropriate cheers.  ALso, there was 0 stage show.  No lights, no video.  In some ways I respect that.  Where as in my PT review, I thought their lights and video were very weak. Might as well just strip it all and go out there and jam. Could be an old timer thing though.  THe way the band just walked onto stage and quietly picked up their instruments and started playing without any grand intro or outro.  I think if their set or performance sucked I would rip this, but instead I'm kind of praising it.  The show didn't need it.  Shit, I don't even know if Eric eyes were open the entire night  :lol

Eric Clapton & Jimmie Vaughan LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York 2022

Next up (if work doesn't kill me tomorrow while here in Amsterdam):

September 23rd - Parkway Drive, While She Sleeps & Lorna Shore @ AFAS Live, Amsterdam NL

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2022, 10:44:41 AM »
The worst nosebleed tickets for Rammstein at the USC Coliseum for today has dropped to a more affordable rate.  I wonder if I should go, even if I don't know any songs (and if I did know any songs, I wouldn't know what the heck they are talking about in German).  I can find ways to get decent parking from close by and take a Metro train to the area.  I'll think it over as the day progresses.

I wish the price dropped a little bit more for Iron Maiden, yesterday in Anaheim.  The lowest I saw was at around $75.00 (which was slightly less than what Ticketmaster had for their standard seats).  Can't bring myself to pay that price even with Trivium as an opener.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2022, 03:03:45 PM »
All right, I bought the ticket for Rammstein.  It's $30.00 plus I have never been to the Coliseum at USC so that makes it more compelling for me to buy it.

Rammstein - Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum - Los Angeles, CA.  September 23rd, 2022.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2022, 04:07:25 PM »
I met a dutch guy at the concert tonight talking about how awesome Rammstein in the Netherlands was a few months ago and it spoiled him... just like me, but seriously, Parkway Drive was easily the best show I've seen out here before. 

Online geeeemo

« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2022, 07:31:14 PM »
All right, I bought the ticket for Rammstein.  It's $30.00 plus I have never been to the Coliseum at USC so that makes it more compelling for me to buy it.

Rammstein - Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum - Los Angeles, CA.  September 23rd, 2022.

We are here. In our seats waiting for the show! We'll see if it is too muchy-much for me. But looking forward to the pyrotechnics!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #591 on: September 24, 2022, 12:31:00 AM »
Outstanding show by Waters, but I expect nothing less from him. Great set for sure.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #592 on: September 24, 2022, 01:07:32 AM »
I'm back from Rammstein.  Not to beat a dead horse, but those guys know how to put on a metal stadium show.  They brought great intensity when needed.  The best way to describe these guys is these guys are f'en weird man.  Here are the things I had observed in the show.

I have seen a carriage set on fire.  I have seen an inflatable d*** in the crowd.  I have seen a man try to set another guy in a cauldron on fire.  I have watched their keyboard player be on what I think is a treadmill for most of the show.  I have seen two guitarists make out with each other.  After the main set was done, the big screen show a couple of people in the crowd (regardless of gender) to go topless, even a guy that was wearing overalls wanted in on the fun.  Cool part was that they did a song at a side stage near the GA crowd and when they were done, they were on an inflatable raft and crowdsurfed their way back to the main stage.  If people questioned why stadium shows, this year, lacked some pyro, it's safe to say these guys hoarded it all and probably used it better than anyone would have done regardless.

I do think the crowd was on the lighter side for a stadium show in a college football stadium, but honestly, there's really no other suitable venue in SoCal for them to do this kind of show.  They would have crammed Banc of California Stadium next door.  I think I estimated around 30,000-40,000 people there which is pretty darn good for a metal stadium show in SoCal.  I don't even know why GA is priced so high, being in that large space in which is mainly used in a football field would be intimating to be in and it looked there was a fair amount of room in GA.  Being in seats was better for this kind of show.

Anywho, great show and it's nice to be back in the USC area for a stadium show.  The last time I was in the area was for Iron Maiden back in 2019.  What makes it more interesting is that the shows I had in the USC area is the big metal stadium concerts before heading to Orlando, Florida for an Alter Bridge album listening party.  Huge contrast being around 10s of thousands of people and going to another city in the East Coast that will have around 500 of the most enthusiastic Alter Bridge fans around.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

And now, the badly taken pictures.  That stage is crazy.

I took the last one, during the encore, on my way back to the Metro station while, finally, eating a street cart LA Hot Dog.  It was pretty darn good.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 01:38:26 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #593 on: September 27, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »
I was supposed to be at that one, but the whole Covid thing. Thankfully I'll see it on Sunday night in Mexico. I'm glad I got to catch the indoor version that I did. It's really kind of a different experience. Those flames out in the crowd were nearly at ground level in the Alamodome, which was pretty wild. It also smoked the place up real well, which worked great with the lighting in the second half.
E.F. Benson

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #594 on: September 27, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Taylor Hawkins Tribute show at the Forum tonight!  Beyond loving the Foos/Taylor, Geddy and Alex from Rush being there is my biggest highlight for the night.  After watching the London livestream I'm expecting this to be a special and moving evening  :heart