Author Topic: Concerts for 2022  (Read 36948 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Concerts for 2022
« Reply #595 on: September 27, 2022, 07:02:09 PM »
Taylor Hawkins Tribute show at the Forum tonight!  Beyond loving the Foos/Taylor, Geddy and Alex from Rush being there is my biggest highlight for the night.  After watching the London livestream I'm expecting this to be a special and moving evening  :heart

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jelly...enjoy bud!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: September 28, 2022, 04:07:22 AM »
I was supposed to be at that one, but the whole Covid thing. Thankfully I'll see it on Sunday night in Mexico. I'm glad I got to catch the indoor version that I did. It's really kind of a different experience. Those flames out in the crowd were nearly at ground level in the Alamodome, which was pretty wild. It also smoked the place up real well, which worked great with the lighting in the second half.

I watched an interview the other night that I can't find now before that Alamodome show with the guy who manages the stage build since you got me all interested in this a couple weeks ago.  He was asked what needed to be done for the indoor show and he actually said nothing besides those tower things you mentioned being much lower.  Looked like the top of the stage was just about to touch the top of the dome too.  He mentioned they've had to do things like this in Europe so it wasn't an issue or concern at all.  But still, really cool to see how much work and design goes into their stage production.  It's unlike anything I've ever seen.  It also makes me wonder how they can afford to do all this.

Taylor Hawkins Tribute show at the Forum tonight!  Beyond loving the Foos/Taylor, Geddy and Alex from Rush being there is my biggest highlight for the night.  After watching the London livestream I'm expecting this to be a special and moving evening  :heart

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jelly...enjoy bud!!

Also, Jelly.  Kind of crazy how I woke up and the show was still going on today  :lol ahh timezones...

So last Friday night while I was in Amsterdam I was able to get out of work on time to check out the big metalcore show at AFAS Live which is a big GA 6k capacity venue right next to my hotel.  Huge line to get in an hour before the show started so I figured it was going to be a good turn out although not sold out.  I bought my ticket at the box office which saved me all the fees online.  Really cool venue with the lobby having these mirrors and lighting that makes it feel very different than any venue I've been to before and also felt very Dutch. 

Place was PACKED for the opening band Lorna Shore who is also from NJ like myself, what an odd coincidence!  I'm not really into them, they are wayyyy too much for me, but I do think they were a really good live band.  The singer's screams were unlike any I've heard before and the guitarist was really good.  It was just too much for me, but the crowd loved it.  There was even a wall of death 3 songs into the show  :lol

Here's a clip of the wall of death: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1573654423213154307

After their set ended, I had a nice conversation with the guy next to me who drove 2 hours to see the show.  He was very shocked to see that I was seeing two Dutch bands next month (Within Temptation and Epica).  He showed me his concert list on his phone, I showed him mine which was a funny reaction from him  :lol  Next up was While She Sleeps.  I thought they were decent.  Some songs were really good, some were just OK.  Crowd was wild, but maybe not as wild as Lorna Shore.  I enjoyed them, but really felt like they were the odd band out on this bill.  Just didn't have the same energy and reaction.

Stepped outside after their set for a smoke, lots of nice people chatting up with me.  Must say the vibe here was fantastic unlike when I saw Gwar in Tilburg a couple months ago where it seemed like everyone hated the American in the room, but this time it seemed like everyone was super nice to me.

Parkway Drive was AWESOME.  This will rank very highly for me for top sets seen this year.  The energy, the stage show, the WILD crowd, the great view I had... all combined for such an epic 90 minutes.  I only knew a handful of songs, but it didn't matter.  Their singer is an amazing frontman.  The way he controlled the crowd from the catwalk was top notch.  He almost reminded me of a hardcore version of Dan Reynolds from Imagine Dragons.  The guy just went up to the edge of the cat walk and rocked out so hard.  How could you not respond to that?  A string section came out for a couple songs and at the end the entire stage was surrounded by fire for the encore.  I think this was the best of the 4 concerts I've seen in the Netherlands.  I won't have my full video edited until I get home but here's a few videos:

Parkway Drive - Glitch LIVE @ AFAS LIVE Amsterdam NL 9/23/2022 - Opening song, watch how he comes out!

Parkway Drive - The Void LIVE @ AFAS LIVE Amsterdam NL 9/23/2022 - My favorite of the songs I captured, but look how crazy the crowd is and all the pyro!

Parkway Drive - Crushed LIVE @ AFAS LIVE Amsterdam NL 9/23/2022 - Stage surrounded by fire

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: September 29, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »
The business part of my business trip is officially over, but I noticed this morning, about 1 mile walk from my hotel is Billy Idol tonight at the Frankfurt Festhalle! He goes on in 50 minutes and I just got back to my hotel so heading over there now  :metal

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #598 on: October 01, 2022, 10:02:04 AM »
So, this past Sunday, 9/25, I went to a concert I never would've gone to in a million years if I hadn't been in Nashville.  On a long weekend trip with my wife, we decided to take in a show at the historic Ryman Auditorium.  The artist was a country performer named Cam.  Neither my wife nor I are really country music fans.  But, we figured we'd give it a shot.  Let me start of mentioning the venue itself.  The Ryman Auditorium was originally designed to be a house of worship and was later the original site of the Grand Ole Opry for 30 years.  The seating is made up of wooden pews and has beautiful stained glass windows in the back.  It's nicknamed "Mother Church".  It's an absolutely gorgeous venue that holds just about 3,000 people.

Anyway, on to the show.  It was opened by a woman named Jillian Jacqueline who came out with her acoustic guitar and said she liked to take upbeat and energetic songs and transform them into melancholy acoustic numbers.  Her first song was a medley of 90's-00's songs that she did this to, including "Smells Like Teen Spirit".  It was fun.  Then she followed with a number of originals.  First artist of 3 down.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  Second, was an artist named Amethyst.  She was an African American woman who came out with a Gibson SG, wearing a cowboy hat and a western shirt with fringe.  It was her a drummer playing a stripped down set and a bassist.  They started off playing this country-tinged, bluesy, feedback-driven song that rocked.  Definitely not your stereotypical country artist.  They played for about 30 minutes.  She had a very cool vibe and sound to her.  Her drummer was really good, too.  Last, but certainly not least, was Cam.  Cam is a country artist with 3 albums in her discography, who apparently started off writing songs for Sam Smith and Miley Cyrus.  Her voice came across wonderfully live.  She came on to perform with a guy who played guitar, keyboards and sang backing vocals.  She also had a female drummer who also helped out with backing vocals.  At one point, there was a problem with her mic.  So, she proceeded to sing without it.  What a voice!  She has a song called "Diane", which is a response to Dolly Parton's hit "Jolene", sung from the perspective of the woman cheating with the husband.  It was one of the highlights of the show.  Everyone was standing singing along with the song, really enjoying themselves.  Seeing a Country music show at the Mother Church really was a religious experience.  My wife and I both had an awesome time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: October 01, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »
I've heard about the Ryman before, looks like a cool place to see a show.

Heading into NYC for back to back nights of 311.  Tonight they perform their first album, Music, in full and tomorrow they do their second album, Grassroots, in full.  PLus more songs that I doubt overlap between nights.  So should get about 40 different 311 songs this weekend.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #600 on: October 02, 2022, 05:24:35 AM »
Went to go see The Distant Worlds Orchestra play at The Royal Albert Hall yesterday. It's my third time seeing them play and damn, they just never disappoint!

For those who don't know The Distant Worlds Orchestra tour the world playing orchestral arrangements of music from the Final Fantasy video game series. Just imagine going to see the music of John Williams played live, but video games. It's honestly amazing and there were so many goosebump moments.

I also managed to snag the second Distant Worlds album on vinyl for a mere £35, which is a steal! I just wish I could've afforded to pick up all the vinyl. Great show though!

My next gig for the year is Coheed and Cambria supported by Thrice, a week on Friday. So frigging pumped for this!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 05:42:01 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #601 on: October 03, 2022, 08:11:51 AM »
Seeing a Country music show at the Mother Church really was a religious experience.  My wife and I both had an awesome time.

AND

I've heard about the Ryman before, looks like a cool place to see a show.

So, I know I'm sort of the token country fan here, but to be clear: I don't like ALL country, but mostly OUTLAW country (Waylon Jennings, Hank, Jr., Johnny Cash, etc.). I can't stand the sort of "pop country" that is so prevalent these days, nor am I that big on the more traditional classic country.   

Having said that, if ANYONE is in Nashville, it's worth a trip to the Grand Ole' Opry. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish there was something equivalent for rock.   Every night, there is a live radio broadcast from the Opry, and you get about six acts, each doing about 15 minutes or so, to be broadcast.  There's an announcer on the side of the stage, introducing the acts and "MC'ing" the radio show.  It's excellent.   There's a house band, so you have some amazing musicians doing a lot of the backing work, though some of the acts will have full bands if that's their gig.  I didn't know one of the acts we saw (except for Lee Greenwood, and he's not really my thing) and yet it was one of the best live music experiences I've had.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #602 on: October 03, 2022, 02:04:17 PM »
Well, there are two shows this month that has Japanese bands that I'm contemplating wanting to see (Band Maid and One Ok Rock) and both have resales tickets in the three digits.  Band Maid, I'm not surprised since the Belasco is a small venue.  One Ok Rock, I am sorta surprised.  Hollywood Palladium is not a small venue (4,000 people all standing), but they do seem to be one of the few modern Japanese bands that has great crossover appeal to Western markets, so not surprising in that sense.

Don't know what else I'll do in October after the Alter Bridge's Pawns & Kings listening party that is rescheduled for this Thursday in Orlando.  I guess I'll let time pass and see what happens.  Shinedown is playing at the Honda Center in Anaheim, this Saturday, and I may be home at the afternoon if all goes well.  Let's see.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #603 on: October 03, 2022, 09:58:02 PM »

Having said that, if ANYONE is in Nashville, it's worth a trip to the Grand Ole' Opry. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish there was something equivalent for rock.   Every night, there is a live radio broadcast from the Opry, and you get about six acts, each doing about 15 minutes or so, to be broadcast.  There's an announcer on the side of the stage, introducing the acts and "MC'ing" the radio show.  It's excellent.   There's a house band, so you have some amazing musicians doing a lot of the backing work, though some of the acts will have full bands if that's their gig.  I didn't know one of the acts we saw (except for Lee Greenwood, and he's not really my thing) and yet it was one of the best live music experiences I've had.
We took the tour of the Grand Ole Opry.  It was fantastic.  We actually rented a car to do so.  The 15-person house band they have shows up 2 hours before show time.  That's when they're told the songs they'll be playing that night.  That's all the notice they get!  That's sick!  We actually got to go on the stage and stand in "The Circle", which, to perform at the Grand Ole Opry and get to perform, standing in that circle, would be like a rock guy performing at Madison Square Garden in front of a sold-out audience.  The respect and reverence this venue commands from the Country community is like nothing else I can think of.  In the 97 years the weekly Grand Ole Opry radio show has been in existence, it has never missed a performance.  Even throughout Covid, they were allowed to perform, albeit in front of an empty audience and a skeleton work crew.  Unfortunately, our trip didn't allow us to see a show there.  However, the next time we're visiting (and, we definitely will), we'll be seeing a show there for sure.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: October 04, 2022, 06:41:21 AM »
One regret I have about going to Nashville was not going to tour the Grand Ole Opry, we just drove by.

Tonight I'm seeing my final show show of 2022, Alice In Chains. Also has been a bucket list band for me, can't wait!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: October 04, 2022, 09:16:44 AM »
My last night in Germany last Thursday I was able to make it just in time to see Billy Idol.  He was playing a 15 minute walk from my hotel which I didn't even know until that morning and things worked out well (work wise) for me to leave at a decent time to make the show.  First time seeing a concert in Germany so I was excited for something pretty cool and unique.  I thought the venue, Festhalle, looked beautiful as I arrived:

and I went to go buy a ticket from the box office but a scalper kept begging me to buy his ticket.  I was very weary being in a foreign country to buy from a scalper.  He kept lowering his price and eventually sold it to me for 50 euros (it was 80 euro face) for a GA floor ticket.  It was all the euros I had left on me and he walked me in to make sure it worked so I was in and ready to go.  Of course I wanted to get a german beer before he started... turns out they only take cash  :lol WTF?  Every other venue I've gone to is card only these days (including the Amsterdam concert I had gone to a week earlier).  Oh well, I guess I'll be happy with my savings and not have a beer.  (there was no ATM on site either, I asked).

Venue on the inside was not quite as nice as the outside, but pretty big GA floor and some limited seating along the sides and the upper level.

I thought the live sound of the band was pretty good.  You could tell they were 100% live too.  Sadly, Billy was not too good this night.  He struggled hard on the first song, Dancing with Myself, and looked to be lacking energy.  He did later on admit he had a cold and was struggling.  I thought the crowd was pretty dead too.  For the size, it was pretty lame if I'm being completely honest.  Kind of dissapointed my first German concert was this dead.  They did a few new songs and honestly I was shocked how much I enjoyed those songs for the first time hearing them.  Steve Stevens is obviously a talented guitarist.  He sounded great.  He snuck the Top Gun theme into one of the songs near the end.  I was happy they played Mony Mony which they didn't the one time I had seen Billy Idol before.  Which was in 2019 and back then he used the exact same stage set up.  I thought it was kind of annoying that he kept talking about being away for 3 or 4 years.  Yeah, we get it covid and all, but saying that like 4 or 5 times throughout the night was too much.  On one of the new songs, Billy messed up and had the band start over after the first 20 or so seconds.  At the end Steve took the blame for that and said this is how you know we are 100% live and he was happy Billy decided to restart the song.  I thought that was awesome, and sadly, I didn't capture any of that on video because those live mishaps are some of the best moments in concerts IMO.  Near the end when they started doing the hits, the crowd got more lively.  It seemed like people finally woke up for Rebel Yell. 

Sadly, not one of the best concerts of the year, but still, a cool experience I was able to sneak in and I don't have any regrets on going to it even if things mostly just didn't work out well (couldn't buy beer, Billy was sick, dead crowd). 

Billy Idol LIVE @ Festhalle Frankfurt Germany September 29 2022

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #606 on: October 04, 2022, 09:36:48 AM »
Cram - great story! Glad you got to see a gig over there. Always wanted to see Billy Idol.

cfmoran - I'm jealous. I've heard such good things about that venue. Such history. Being on the West Coast now, I likely won't get an opportunity to travel to Nashville any time soon. But it's on my list of things to do if I'm out that way (I have a friend from law school who has lived there now for 20 yrs - been meaning to go visit).

As for remaining concerts this year...after the great Porcupine Tree show last week, I have a handful more coming up:

Mercyful Fate (w/Kreator)
Greta Van Fleet
Armored Saint
TSO

>>>That'll put a wrap on 2022. My 2023 is two headliner bands so far, but 7 shows.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 06, 2022, 02:49:25 PM »
So after getting back from Frankfurt, I then spent the weekend completely in NYC.  My gf and I got a hotel for two nights because 311 were doing two special back to back shows where the first night they did their entire first album, Music, and the 2nd night they did their entire second album, Grassroots. 

There's been a lot of talk about 311 taking a hiatus or even breaking up after their current tour.  While my gf and I went to Vegas back in March for 311 day, I didn't want to miss any opportunity to see one of my favorites one (OK two) more times. Both shows were at Terminal 5 which is a pretty solid GA 3k capacity venue.  Both nights saw the same opener, Bronx Slang.  I was not familiar with them at all, but I did enjoy their set both nights (I think it was mostly the same set).  They were kind of like a softer Rage Against the Machine, as in, the guitarist was more of a smooth player and not a heavy player, but it was basically like a funky rock band with two rappers.  Solid for a pretty much unknown opener.

For night 1, the place was PACKED.  It wasn't sold out, but it was packed on the floor and the balconies were all full.  Kind of sucked in the sense that I didn't have a great view, but the energy was fantastic.  Crowd was really good this night.  Big pit, lots of jumping and people singing along.  One of the best parts of 311 shows is how everyone knows the words.  I also like Music more than Grassroots so this set was more to my liking, but the album has mostly been played to death.  There was only one song on the album that didn't get too much plays over the years, Paradise, and they actually played it at 311 day so it didn't quite feel as unique of a set to me.  After the full album they did a bunch of other tracks including some of the hits but also Use of Time and Hive were the highlights for me for the extra songs.  I noticed the band being really excited on twitter after this one, they definitely noticed and felt the energy in the room that night.

For night 2, the place felt kind of empty.  They didn't allow access to the 3rd balcony this night, a sign that this show didn't sell as well.  I'm assuming because this was a Sunday night, but maybe the fans generally like Music mroe than Grassroots like I do?  Either way, this worked out well, I had a much better view of the stage and while less packed, the people who did show up still rocked out hard.  Grassroots back half is full of songs the band doesn't play often so I got to see a few songs I've never seen which kind of made this night the better of the two for me.  It was just more exciting for me.  I thought it was awesome they didn't play All Mixed Up (one of their biggest hits) either night.  The highlight of the extra songs was likely Who's Got the Herb as the venue all lit up (not me, I forgot my J lol) and they finished with the rock ending of the song which was epic. 

Both nights were actually live streamed by the band and are being restreamed this weekend if anyone is interested (I believe it costs money though).  Otherwise you can always check out my videos.  I used a new camera for this as well!

311 - Music Grassroots & More LIVE @ Terminal 5 New York City 10/1&2/2022

Also, I think it's great that the bassist liked my video and thanked me for "being a part of all that MF awesome" here: https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1577430622230175744

Next concert:

October 7th - Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin & Bush @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: October 06, 2022, 02:54:01 PM »
Awesome write up Marc. I think I'm going to start a 311 discography run through. I know almost nothing about the band but I do like the hits and I really love Use Of Time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: October 06, 2022, 02:58:10 PM »
Awesome write up Marc. I think I'm going to start a 311 discography run through. I know almost nothing about the band but I do like the hits and I really love Use Of Time.

Do it! Such a diverse catalog of music.  Even the hits are all so different in sound and style.  I must be close to seeing 311 30 times now, so the hits have really worn thin on me, but them doing 311 day and these album shows really make going to more shows worth it to get some of the deep cuts. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #610 on: October 06, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
I'll start tomorrow and report back!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #611 on: October 07, 2022, 06:53:07 PM »
Breaktime at Aftershock... Wandered the grounds before catching Spiritbox, they were solid as expected

Next was Set It Off who were before Nemophila, so I had to sit through them. They were actually a shit ton of fun, and had the crowd pumped.

Nemophila delivered the goods and then some, just a crushing performance, and they finally got their first pit (Japan doesn't allow pits yet, and the Whisky didn't either). Unbelievable the show their singer put on even though she's like 7 months pregnant.

Chilling waiting for Apopalyptica, then In Flames probably a bit of Gwar, Lamb of God and Meshuggah and finish with some Kiss.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #612 on: October 08, 2022, 02:03:19 PM »
Some thoughts on Aftershock.... Everyone knows my feelings on Nemophila and their amazing set, so I don't think I need to keep beating that horse. The bands that really blew me away were Spiritbox and Lamb of God. I caught all of Spiritbox's set, and the last 30 minutes of Lamb, and both bands were nothing short of amazing. Other groups that were solid were hard metal group For the Better, punk/pop Set It Off (definitely the most insane crowd for these guys for sure), the cello onslaught of Apopolyptica (ironically it was their drummer that impressed me most) and the stupidly insane Gwar. I crashed pretty hard and the end of the day and regrettably only caught a song or two of Meshugga, and watched Kiss open with Detroit Rock City before heading home.
This was my first festival of this type, and while I appreciate the format, it was just a bit much. Too many people, to much going on, it was hard to focus for me, I couldn't get into the shows like I'd like to, like I do at the small, intimate venues. I'm positive that not only was it my love for Nemophila that made their set stand out, but that I was on the rail and still had that intimate feel, and didn't feel lost in a crowd of tens of thousands. (I heard a report that this year's Aftershock placed them as the 3rd largest festival in the world) I'll probably do another festival of Aftershock's caliber if a band I can't miss is performing, but otherwise I'll stick to my stinky, dingy clubs....

Here's Nemophila's opening (not my video, I was in the front and in the moment)....totally worth it just to see a 7 month pregnant woman fronting a metal band at a huge festival...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1cMcv9lDz4&ab_channel=JayMiller
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 02:13:35 PM by lonestar »

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #613 on: October 09, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
Got Coheed and Thrice on Friday! Fuck, I'm pumped

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #614 on: October 09, 2022, 04:24:05 PM »

I got Band-Maid on Friday, equally pumped.

From online reports, Bloodywood just tore the Aftershock stage a new one, many are calling it the set of the festival. Really regret not seeing them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: October 10, 2022, 07:46:15 AM »
Glad you enjoyed Set it Off, I'm going to have to rate their latest album Elsewhere somewhat highly on my albums of the year rankings because I listen to it so much and ended up seeing them 3 times this year  :lol (somewhat of a coincidence)  They definitely are not music that this forum would generally talk about, but their live show is really fun and energetic.  Glad the metalheads accepted them. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: October 10, 2022, 08:47:47 AM »
Just picked up a ticket to see Steve Vai in a few weeks

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #617 on: October 10, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »
Just picked up a ticket to see Steve Vai in a few weeks

Saw him in London back in June. You are going to love this show, especially he is breaking out the Hydra for the US portion. :tup
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Lethean

« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2022, 10:20:50 AM »
This was my first festival of this type, and while I appreciate the format, it was just a bit much. Too many people, to much going on, it was hard to focus for me, I couldn't get into the shows like I'd like to, like I do at the small, intimate venues. I'm positive that not only was it my love for Nemophila that made their set stand out, but that I was on the rail and still had that intimate feel, and didn't feel lost in a crowd of tens of thousands. (I heard a report that this year's Aftershock placed them as the 3rd largest festival in the world) I'll probably do another festival of Aftershock's caliber if a band I can't miss is performing, but otherwise I'll stick to my stinky, dingy clubs....
This is pretty much me.  I enjoy arena and amphitheater shows for bands I love and I try to get as close as I can.  I like theaters as well, and love the small clubs.  But I'm really not interested in a giant festival like that.  I went to the SARS benefit show in Toronto to see Rush, and it was cool, but not something I'd want to do often. 

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #619 on: October 10, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
I've got a good run of shows to close out 2022

John Petrucci
Michael Schenker Group
Iron Maiden w/ Within Temptation
W.A.S.P. w/ Armored Saint x3 (maybe 4)
Zebra w/ Last In Line
Last In Line (a separate headlining show)
Mary Prankster
Ween
Samantha Fish

and a maybe on Steve Hackett.

2023 on the books so far:
Alter Bridge
Helloween x4
Bruce Sprinsteen & The E Street Band
Journey w/ Toto (make up date from a COVID-postponed show in 2022)

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #620 on: October 10, 2022, 12:47:29 PM »
Saw Coheed four times this year. They rocked all of them. It helps that I have really been enjoying Vaxis II.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #621 on: October 10, 2022, 12:56:05 PM »
Saw Coheed four times this year. They rocked all of them. It helps that I have really been enjoying Vaxis II.

My all time favourite band touring a great new album! Supported by another band I really enjoy.

I'm taking my nephew along with me. He doesn't really know much Coheed and he's never seen them live. He's about to have a life changing experience, Coheed fans go fucking hard.

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #622 on: October 10, 2022, 12:58:45 PM »

My all time favourite band touring a great new album! Supported by another band I really enjoy.

I'm taking my nephew along with me. He doesn't really know much Coheed and he's never seen them live. He's about to have a life changing experience, Coheed fans go fucking hard.

It took a while for them to click, but when I saw them live for the first time in the summer of 2009 opening for Heaven & Hell, I was hooked. Been a huge fan ever since.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: October 10, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
Funny thing about Coheed.  I went to NYC Comic Con on Saturday and Claudio was there doing a signing.  I literally walked right up to him, looked at him, said to myself "Is that the guy from Coheed?" and said "nah" and walked away.

(Picture is from the band's twitter)

No, it was him and he was doing free signings and I was just completely clueless  :lol  What a missed opportunity on my part although TBH, I'm not quite a big Coheed fan, but still!  >:(

Back to concerts... last Friday was Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin, and Bush at my local amphitheater.  This ended up being a lot more fun than I expected although going in I was already pretty excited since it's a 3 band line up that I enjoy.  The last show for me at this venue for the year as it closed down for the "summer" this weekend.  I always get emotional when this place shuts down, it's often my favorite place to be in the summer time and living so close to it, I've seen more shows here than likely any other venue.  It wasn't a sell out, but all the seats were sold and the lawn was packed.  Very good turn out and the weather was perfect.

Bush opened (OK a band called Plush opened at 5:30pm but I had just gotten home so we missed their set).  Bush did 4 songs from their newest album which were mostly decent songs.  The hits were good as usual.  I just love the energy Gavin has on stage.  He's so active with moving around and interacting with the crowd.  During one song (and he always does this) he walked through the seats and right up into the the lawn.  Actually came right near me and then immediately turned the other way as all the yoing people near me rushed towards him (inlcuding one lady who knocked over my lawn chair that was holding a full drink I just purchased, once again, no apology from the lady spilling an entire drink of mine).  The ended their set with their hit song Comedown, but with special extra guitarist Jerry Cantrell!  This was AWESOME.  I'd say it was THE highlight, but the pay back later in the set 1 upped this.

Breaking Benjamin were next.  I know Ben has let his guitarists do more and more lead singing over the years, but after the first song, Ben went back near the drums and it looked like he was being helped by a tech as they did two full songs without him on vocals.  It kind of sucked IMO.  I've seen them a few times and I forgot about this, but it seems Ben also doesn't like having a light directly on him so it's very odd to watch from the back and see the entire stage well and all the band members except the lead singer who's just in darkness.  I hate shit like that.  If you are going to be the front man, be it.  Their setlist was pretty straight forward, nothing special from the song choices.  Overall though, they were fun.  The crowd was really into them.  The young people all near me started going wild and forming a mosh pit.  One person even tried to crowd surf.  If you knew the lawn of this venue, you'd laugh like I was at this idea.  They hardly moved before being dropped.  There was also extensive pyro used during their set which I'm a huge fan of.

And finally was headliner (although it may have been coheadlining, I think both BB and AiC had 75 minute sets) Alice in Chains.  First off, they were a bit too loud.  After two other rock bands, it was noticeable that they turned themselves up higher than the others and that's not a good thing.  If me of all people is complaining they were too loud, then it's a sign they definitely needed to lower it a bit.  After the first song you kind of get used to it, so it wasn't a huge deal, but something I wish bands would consider when performing that not everyone thinks it's a good idea to play at 11.  This was my second time seeing them, I thought this was a bunch better show than the first time mostly because I could see a lot better.  Setlist was fairly basic with the hits and only one song from the latest album.  What made the night was during Man in a Box, Gavin from Bush came out to sing as well.  He brought back that energy from the opening set.  This was sick. At the end of their set they got all the bands and crew out for a picture.  It was the second to last night of the tour but as Jerry said, getting everyone together the next night as unlikely so they wanted to do it that night. 

(from AiC twitter)

Alice In Chains, Breaking Benjamin, Bush LIVE @ PNC Bank Arts Center NJ

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #624 on: October 10, 2022, 02:08:24 PM »
I saw Plush open for Evanescence and Halestorm back in last November.  It was an all-female group and they brought great energy.  The right band to open for the bands after them.

As mentioned last month, I couldn't see Bush/Breaking Benjamin/Alice in Chains at the closest amphitheater near me.  Secondary ticket prices just wouldn't go below what I was willing to pay.  Anywho, I'm still recovering off of me in Orlando at the Alter Bridge's Pawns & Kings listening party.  I got a lot to say and I will document it in a post at some point in time with a lot of incoherent details.  Just note that this was probably the best event of any kind I've been to this year.  The band only played 7 songs (40 minutes, acoustically), but the vibes and atmosphere was at an all time high.  More details to come why I think this is the case.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #625 on: October 10, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
Got BAND-MAID this Friday, then if nothing else pops up, just Petrucci to finish out the year. Hoping something pops up, that's too long with only one show...

Offline Lethean

« Reply #626 on: October 11, 2022, 09:42:13 AM »
Got BAND-MAID this Friday, then if nothing else pops up, just Petrucci to finish out the year. Hoping something pops up, that's too long with only one show...

Katatonia will be out your way at the end of November... Just saying.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: October 11, 2022, 09:50:20 AM »
This is how my year end is looking:

October 12th - John Petrucci & Meanstreak @ Town Hall, New York City NY
October 14th - NOFX, Descendents, Face to Face @ Stone Pony Summer Stage, Asbury Park NJ
October 19th - Smashing Pumpkins, Jane’s Addiction & Poppy @ Madison Square Garden, New York City NY
October 21st - Iron Maiden & Within Temptation @ Prudential Center, Newark NJ
October 23rd - Sabaton & Epica @ Hammerstein Ballroom, New York City NY
October 31st - Gwar, Light the Torch, Crobot @ Irving Plaza, New York City NY
November 9th - AFI @ Terminal 5, New York City NY
November 18th - Tower of Power @ Carteret PAC, Carteret NJ
November 19th - Goldfinger, Catch 22, Mustard Plug @ Starland Ballroom, Sayreville NJ
December 10th - Greta Van Fleet & Rival Sons @ Hard Rock Hotel, Atlantic City NJ
December 11th - Bad Omens @ Irving Plaza, New York City NY

I have a ticket for the second Bad Omens show at Irving Plaza on the 12th but I'm pretty sure I'm set to go to LA that Monday for work.  Hopefully I can find a concert out there if I end up having to go.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #628 on: October 11, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »

Katatonia will be out your way at the end of November... Just saying.

November 30th... Definitely will consider it

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #629 on: October 11, 2022, 11:51:28 AM »
I have a ticket for the second Bad Omens show at Irving Plaza on the 12th but I'm pretty sure I'm set to go to LA that Monday for work.  Hopefully I can find a concert out there if I end up having to go.

Looking at the week from 12/12 - 12/17, there are some options (some not cheap though).  Thrice is doing three shows at the Anaheim House of Blues (I don't know why those HOB shows they do is always $100+ on the resale markets).

Metallica is playing at the Microsoft Theater on 12/16, but those tickets are way too high as it is a considerably small venue for them to play in.

Amon Amarth is playing at the Forum on 12/17.