Author Topic: Concerts for 2022  (Read 37731 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Concerts for 2022
« Reply #420 on: June 30, 2022, 04:25:51 PM »
Ok.. Hitting up Allegaeon and five other death metal bands tonight, then tomorrow morning it's off to LA for Nemophila at the Whisky A Go Go.

So fucking stoked.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: June 30, 2022, 04:30:46 PM »
Ok.. Hitting up Allegaeon and five other death metal bands tonight, then tomorrow morning it's off to LA for Nemophila at the Whisky A Go Go.

I just mentioned to my gf last night that I really want to see a concert at the Whisky A Go Go.  We were watching The Dirt.  I had that ticket to see Wolfie there last year that covid ruined (although I made a nice penny on the resale).  One day... but that sounds like an epic concert weekend.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #422 on: June 30, 2022, 06:42:46 PM »

I just mentioned to my gf last night that I really want to see a concert at the Whisky A Go Go.  We were watching The Dirt.  I had that ticket to see Wolfie there last year that covid ruined (although I made a nice penny on the resale).  One day... but that sounds like an epic concert weekend.

The venue for tonight's show probably seats 250 max, and the stage is like 2 feet tall. This place is gonna get tore the fuck up man.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: June 30, 2022, 07:10:02 PM »
 :metal :metal :metal

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: June 30, 2022, 10:21:02 PM »
My wife is a huge Train fan (I like them too) so we went to check out Will Anderson/Blues Traveler/Jewel/Train tonight.

Jewel was single handily the best singer I've ever seen live, I know her from the 90's and through re-runs of popup video but I wasn't ready for the sheer talent the dropped into my ear holes tonight. She is an incredible singer, her range is godly and I simply can't believe what I heard from her. I sat there with my jaw on the floor for most of the show, I finally got my wits about me and recorded the last bit of her final song. Love or hate her music but fuck, what a special evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #425 on: July 01, 2022, 01:43:14 AM »
Ok.. I'm going on record.. Allegaeon is one of the best live bands out there. Holy sweet Jesus do they fucking bring a house down, just relentless perfection. Greg Burgess is now officially a God teir guitarist for me, right up there with the big boys like JP, Howe, Rothery and Emmett. Just a monster.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #426 on: July 02, 2022, 05:51:49 PM »
Ok...what a whirlwind of a weekend, not sure how to sum this one up but I'll try...

Thursday.... 6 death metal bands with Allegaeon headlining. Standouts of the openers were Summoning the Lich and Arkaik, especially the latter, will definitely be checking them out more. As to Allegaeon, they were fucking flawless as always. I swear, they're quickly becoming a live favorite for me, they are so technically proficient and always sound so tight especially considering they always play tiny venues (this one was a 250 seat bar attached to a fucking bowling alley  :lol ). Excellent set, very heavy with stuff from the new album which is killer, and some snippets of Subdivisions and Roundabout thrown in there. A few pics...

And now the big one....Japanese metal band Nemophila with their first show outside of Japan at the world famous Whisky A Go Go. Sell out crowd, probably a bigger sausage fest than DT shows, but that's to be expected once you see the pics. No matter though, these girls kicked so much ass I can't even begin to describe it. Musically they're all very solid, sound was precise, and their energy was relentless. . And the cool thing about this was, all the Japan shows they did were under strict covid restrictions, so this was the first time they got an unmasked crowd that could yell, and boy did they feed off it. Only complaint was the set was short, maybe 70 minutes tops, but it was still 14 songs, so not complaining too much. Anyhoo, pics are poached of a pro's site, I got his name before the show, so I was able to enjoy the show without dicking around with the camera.

And my favorite, I took this one...

And a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PNVUb1CSYU&list=PLEsYLHLdZBdA8MEZlVUmJ_uOHXNr17Jfn&ab_channel=AaronTRokz

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #427 on: July 03, 2022, 06:22:10 PM »
All right, I got my ticket to see Lindsey Stirling at the OC County Fair locked up.  Groupon had a ticket for $35.00 in the far back center section of the venue.  Would have costed $56.00 on Ticketmaster.  The fact that I get free entry to the county fair with this ticket makes it better.  Don't know what I'm going to do there other than eat unhealthy fair food, but it's a nice perk to have.

Lindsey Stirling - Pacific Amphitheater - Costa Mesa, CA.  July 21st, 2022.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: July 07, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
Concert review from last weekend..... saw Flogging Molly, The Interrupters, Tiger Army and The Skints at the Stone Pony Summer Stage.  It was a perfect day for an outdoor show right on the boardwalk. 

Started with some reggae from The Skints.  It was twosuitluke who introduced them to me 5 or so years ago when they last played the same venue as an opener for 311.  It was nice to see more people show up early to catch them than 5 years ago, but we got there so early that we were right up by the barrier for their set.  Really enjoyed their set again.  My only complaint would be some more diversity as a good amount of the set was also what they played 5 years ago.  They ended the set with the only song from their latest album, Learning to Swim.  Marcia pulled out all the tricks like last time too, but the last song included her rocking out on guitar. 

Next up was Tiger Army.  I was not a fan.  Just couldn't get into the music at all during their set.  Funny enough, the crowd was reacting pretty well for the first half of the set which was mostly punk but then they started slowing things down and even did a country song that just killed whatever energy there was.  I was very uninterested.  Cool to see someone playing the stand up bass though.  Also, liked how they asked the crowd who was in the same lot 20 years ago for Warped Tour.  I think I was one of the few who cheered for that. Although I don't recall if I actually saw them at a warped tour.

The Interrupters were next and the band I had wanted to see the most.  Funny enough, another band I had last seen opening for 311.  But now they had a full hour or so set and got to see a lot more songs than the two previous times I've seen them.  Very fun and energetic set.  Sadly, the sun was setting right behind the band and the sun just completely blinded me and most of the crowd.  It was almost impossible to see them for half their set until the sun went down further behind a building.  As their set started coming towards an end (it really started going when they did a cover of Sorrow by Bad Religion) the pit got big and I just wanted to go in.  I pulled my gf close by so she could experience it.  Easily one of the tamest pits I've ever seen, but it was fun to just get in for the first time in a long time.  My gf said it was the wildest crowd she had been in, but I think she's just never been to a punk show before.  Here's the penultimate song, Family, from behind the pit to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

The headliner, Flogging Molly, came on next right as it was starting to finally get dark and cool down the venue.  I haven't really listened to them much, I knew the style of music they were (celtic punk) but hadn't really checked them out in many years.  I thought they were a lot of fun.  I think I even enjoyed their set more than the last time I saw Dropkick Murphys.  But what made it special for me, was that the shore fireworks went off during their set.  The city has postponed the fireworks from the night before because of the weather so I got lucky to get a live concert with a full firework show going on right behind me.  It was hard to decide to watch the band or turn around and watch the fireworks, but it made for a unique experience.  And as someone who loves fireworks, it put a huge smile on my face. To make it even better, Flogging Molly performed a new song "A Song of Liberty" as the fireworks went off.  Felt perfect. 

Flogging Molly The Interrupters Tiger Army The Skints LIVE NJ 2022

Next concert up is this Saturday and it will keep those reggae vibes flowing:

July 9th - Dirty Heads & Soja @ Coney Island Amphitheater, Coney Island NY (and I'll go grab a Nathan's dog at the site of the contest and choking last weekend  :lol)

Also, had to book a business trip for the end of the month that is knocking a couple concerts off my schedule and made me want to add another, so the rest of the month looks like this:

July 16th - Bouncing Souls, Hot Water Music, The Ergs @ Stone Pony Summer Stage, Asbury Park NJ
July 21st - Alanis Morisette & Garbage @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 22nd - Third Eye Blind & Taking Back Sunday @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 28th - Halestorm & The Pretty Reckless @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 31st - Rob Zombie, Mudvayne, & Static X @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #429 on: July 07, 2022, 02:02:59 PM »
Ok.. I'm going on record.. Allegaeon is one of the best live bands out there. Holy sweet Jesus do they fucking bring a house down, just relentless perfection. Greg Burgess is now officially a God teir guitarist for me, right up there with the big boys like JP, Howe, Rothery and Emmett. Just a monster.

Wow. Now I feel bad for missing them back in February. I've never heard anything, though, just sort of vaguely familiar with the name. What album would you recommend as a good starting place?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #430 on: July 07, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
Out of that line up I'd have been 50/50 Cram. I love The Skints and The Interrupters (which is good as they are touring the UK together soon) but not overly bothered with Tiger Army or Flogging Molly. Tiger Army always reminded me of how AFI would sound if they played rockabilly  :lol  you mentioned Dropkick Murphys, and I prefer them over Flogging Molly (even though I'm not too wild on DM and they aren't exactly the same).

I don't think I've seen The Skints since about '18. They played a cover of Let's Stay Together last time I saw them, which my wife and I loved enough that their cover became our first dance when we got married  :heart

I haven't been in a punk rock pit since COVID and I kinda miss it too. Hopefully NOFX will tour over here or something.

As for your upcoming shows dude, Bouncing Souls and Hot Water Music sounds cool. I don't think I've seen either before. Have you heard Hot Water Music's latest album? One of the best punk albums for me this year, especially the track that features Chris Cresswell from The Flatliners.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: July 07, 2022, 02:22:04 PM »
I have not listened to the new Hot Water Music and similarly to last year's Bouncing Souls show (they do a summer concert locally every year that draws a big crowd because they are from the area) when Sick of it All played, I kind of forgot some of these bands are still around.  I'll have to check them out.  I don't think I even sampled them in 20 years. 

They call that show "Stoked for the Summer" and I was reminded of it when I was at the venue last weekend and kept one fo the fliers because I liked the art work.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #432 on: July 07, 2022, 03:52:17 PM »

Wow. Now I feel bad for missing them back in February. I've never heard anything, though, just sort of vaguely familiar with the name. What album would you recommend as a good starting place?

Their last album, Apoptosis is their strongest for me. Before that, while awesome, they lean a bit too heavy on the tech side of tech death metal. On Apoptosis they really start bringing in the melodic elements. After that, their current one, Damnum, is equally strong, though much darker since it basically was inspired by the suicide of a friend of the band, so it's a really hard listen at times, especially Called Home. If you favor the more tech side, definitely hit Proponents of Sentience, that's a straight up tour de force.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: July 18, 2022, 02:49:57 PM »
I guess I never did a review from two weekends ago...

I saw Dirty Heads and SOJA in Coney Island.  Very chill reggae concert along the shore.  Went to the original Nathan's for dinner before (this is now my tradition for coming to this venue) which was delicious especially because they server beer! Apparently the show started at 6pm (I thought that was doors) so I missed the opener while I was eating my dinner.  Oh well, I had never listened to them, but if I knew they were going on at 6pm, I would have gotten to the area earlier. 

SOJA was new to me, but I had recently got their latest album which actually won a grammy this year for best reggae album.  I think it's really good music.  Their live set was fun, but maybe a bit monotonous.  As much as I enjoyed them, I don't think they did anything that really stood out to me.  I was a bit bummed they performed the song that they collaborated with the singer of Dirty Heads but he didn't come out to sing his part.  Like, you guys are in the same building wtf?! About half way into their set I noticed all the joints starting coming out.  The venue is an open air amphitheater.  So it's covered, but basically outdoors.  Security didn't seem to care about all the smoke.  After SOJA's set, I was chatting with a couple from Pittsburgh who had just seen the same show back home and were shocked by the lax security. 

I saw Dirty Heads at the same venue in 2021 and it sucks to say, but there were significantly less people here for them this time around.  The venue is listed as 5k capacity, but it wasn't even close to being half full.  The emptiness of the venue is both good and bad.  Bad for the band and the vibes, but good because I could walk all around for different perspectives without being smothered.  Their light and video show was much better this time around.  It was straight up trippy at times, but mostly was just colorful and enjoyable.  The setlist wasn't too different than last year, but we got to see a brand new song performed that is unreleased.  They also mentioned they were filming a music video for it that night.  I don't expect to be in the video as I didn't even see any cameras  :lol Overall, another fun Dirty Heads show and an enjoyable opener. 

Dirty Heads & SOJA LIVE @ Coney Island Amphitheater NY 7/9/2022

and as for this past weekend...

I went to the Stoked for the Summer annual punk show hosted by the Bouncing Souls at the Stone Pony along the Jersey shore.  Funny enough, my reggae streak continued with Yellowman being the first band I saw.  Save Face opened the day up, but because there was a storm cloud right as the show was supposed to start, the venue wouldn't sell me a ticket at the door and told me to come back in 45 minutes because if the storm didn't pass, the show would be cancelled.  The storm passed and since i was on the boardwalk, I went to a local bar to kill the time.  When I got back, Save Face was already finishing their set  :facepalm: Oh well, I wasn't familiar with them, but similar to the previous concert, I was in the area and could have seen them. 

Yellowman was new to me.  I did not know they were reggae.  I did not know they were from Jamaica.  I did not know the singer was deformed albino.  I don't mean to be harsh here, but the guy looked like Hey You Guys if you know what I'm talking about.  I read his wikipedia the next day to understand his story, but I must say I was a little bit confused by what I was watching on stage.  I started from the back, but I was definitely enjoying the music so I moved right up to near the rail to get a closer view of the set.  This guy is apparently legendary in Jamaica.  I enjoyed the set, but similar to SOJA a week before, it did start to feel monotonous as it went on.  His wife did come out and sing a few songs with him (I had no idea it was his wife, learned that afterwards).  I couldn't really understand much of what he was singing, but I could tell it was about marijuana at times  :lol

Hot Water Music were next.  I thought they were really good.  Kind of reminded me of a punk rock Mastadon in a way with how the different singers sounded in style.  The guitarist/singer's son was on stage the entire time to his side rocking out.  The kid was huge in getting the crowd going.  He was more energetic than anyone on stage that entire day.  He rocked out so hard and at the end of the set, I got a great shot of his father hugging him and kissing him.  It was a really nice moment for them.  I didn't really know their songs, but I enjoyed the set a lot.

Joyce Manor were next.  Another band I wasn't familiar with.  Now this time, they reminded me of a punk rock Weezer.  Melodic, not too fast or heavy, kind of catchy and a bit of a nerdy look.  Not terrible, but not quite my thing.  A mosh pit finally started during their set but it was pretty small and tame.  But their final song was a lot of fun and one of the highlights of the entire day for me. 

Bouncing Souls were good, but sadly, it seemed way less exciting than last years show.  Maybe because this one wasn't sold out, or maybe this just happens every year and people are losing interest?  I do think they were very fun though and played all my favorites from back in the day.  There just wasn't much of a mosh pit until the end.  But I do think the encore they did this year was much better than last year.  First they brought out Yellowman for a Toots and the Maytals cover.  The singer mentioned having seen Yellowman while in high school and was really stoked to perform with him.  Then Hot Water Music came on stage for the final two songs, a Hot Water Music cover and then the Bouncing Souls song True Believers to end the night.  Apparently both bands share the same drummer.  Also the kid was back out on stage rocking out.  It was a perfect ending to the show.

Bouncing Souls Joyce Manor Hot Water Music Yellowman @ Stone Pony 2022

Up this week:

July 21st - Alanis Morisette & Garbage @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ
July 22nd - Third Eye Blind & Taking Back Sunday @ PNC Bank Arts Center, Holmdel NJ

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #434 on: July 18, 2022, 03:33:33 PM »
Is that the same Stone Pony (meaning, same building) that Bruce used t play at?  Or is it a different location now?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2022, 08:10:50 AM »
Is that the same Stone Pony (meaning, same building) that Bruce used t play at?  Or is it a different location now?

Yeah, same original building.  In the picture, the building is all the way to the right.  For the summer, they open up the outdoor summer stage for much bigger concerts, but the indoors is open during these shows too so you can go inside and check it out (it's pretty cool!) or cool off from the heat or hit up one of the many bars inside.  There's a clip of the indoors in my youtube video somewhere, I almost always include a clip of all the guitars hanging on the walls.  Having said that, I can't remember the last time I went to a concert in the original building.  It's just not that big so it's mostly local and very small tours playing there.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2022, 10:49:27 AM »
Man, I've been so busy trying to find good prices for my Chicago trip that I need to update some things.

Well, I've still got Lindsey Stirling at the OC county fair lined up on Thursday.  Day after my birthday.  Also, I've got another trip planned in Orlando in late September to see Alter Bridge and hear their latest album, Pawns & Kings, before it goes out in mid-October.  I believe they are also doing a small acoustic set as well, so that would be great.  No idea what shows I'm going to in August.  Thought about seeing Third Eye Blind at FivePoint Amphitheater, but that's on the day I'm in Chicago, so that's a no go.  I'll figure out some other shows at some point in August.

Lindsey Stirling - Pacific Amphitheater - Costa Mesa, CA.  July 21st, 2022.
Alter Bridge's Pawns & Kings Listening Party - The Abbey - Orlando, FL.  September 30th 2022.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:59:23 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2022, 01:26:50 PM »
I'm accumulating a fair list here:

- Keith Urban - Great Woods, MA July 22
- Molly Hatchet - Some junkyard in Granby, CT (not kidding; "Mark's Recycling") July 31
- Aerosmith - Fenway Park, Boston, MA Sept. 8
- John Petrucci - Ridgefield Playhouse Oct. 6
- John Petrucci - Berkelee, Boston, MA Oct. 7
- John Petrucci - Town Hall, New York, NY Oct 13
- Iron Maiden - Worcester, MA Oct 17

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2022, 09:54:29 PM »
Seeing Greta Van Fleet in a week and a half

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: July 20, 2022, 07:50:49 AM »
Seeing Greta Van Fleet in a week and a half

:metal

My gf and I are going to the last show of the tour since it was postponed to December, really looking forward to it.  You'll have a good time, really good live band.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: July 20, 2022, 03:20:58 PM »
Just came home from seeing Queen + Adam Lambert at the Avicii Arena.

Beautiful stage show.... great music and what a voice Adam has.

But my highlight for the evening was when Brian May and Roger Taylor got their own spot.

Adam is a great singer but he is no Freddie Mercury. Still he did the materisl great.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #441 on: July 20, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »
Nice man... I saw your pics on FB, looked like a great time.

I'm starting to feel serious withdrawals after the amazing weekend a few weeks ago, and my next show isn't till 9/9. May have to scare something random up to scratch the itch.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: July 20, 2022, 04:03:54 PM »
Nice man... I saw your pics on FB, looked like a great time.

I'm starting to feel serious withdrawals after the amazing weekend a few weeks ago, and my next show isn't till 9/9. May have to scare something random up to scratch the itch.

My next isn't until tomorrow when I see Gojira...

After that my withdrawal sympoms will last until October..... scary thought

Offline Volante99

« Reply #443 on: July 21, 2022, 12:34:03 AM »
Going to attempt to snag some Springsteen tickets tomorrow. I’m hoping I won’t need to take out a second mortgage on the house, but we’ll see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: July 21, 2022, 08:37:54 AM »
Going to attempt to snag some Springsteen tickets tomorrow. I’m hoping I won’t need to take out a second mortgage on the house, but we’ll see.

Did you get verified?  I got put on the waiting list so I don't expect to get a chance at tickets.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: July 21, 2022, 10:07:38 AM »
What are they going for? I heard the prices were gasp-inducing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #446 on: July 21, 2022, 12:31:58 PM »
You'd probably have to ask somebody who actually bought some. Ticketmaster stopped showing prices before the tickets actually go on sale a while back. Presumably it's more profitable to give somebody sticker-shock when there's a 7 minute countdown ticking away in the corner of their screen, than giving them time to reconsider. Fuck yeah, capitalism!

edit: after a bit of research, the base price is $60 to $399 for one show, which is pretty typical nowadays. The outrage is coming from the platinum seats, witch fluctuate with supply and demand, and are getting into the $4k area. And yes, somebody will buy them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:37:18 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #447 on: July 21, 2022, 12:57:11 PM »
Yeah, it's the premium seating which they're pricing based on demand, so basically charging whatever they want. If there's a market, whose to blame them, right?

I'll stick with my small market shows that have 4 bands in a tiny club for 25 bucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: July 21, 2022, 12:59:28 PM »
You'd probably have to ask somebody who actually bought some. Ticketmaster stopped showing prices before the tickets actually go on sale a while back. Presumably it's more profitable to give somebody sticker-shock when there's a 7 minute countdown ticking away in the corner of their screen, than giving them time to reconsider. Fuck yeah, capitalism!

edit: after a bit of research, the base price is $60 to $399 for one show, which is pretty typical nowadays. The outrage is coming from the platinum seats, witch fluctuate with supply and demand, and are getting into the $4k area. And yes, somebody will buy them.

The two dudes sitting right next to me at the Springsteen Broadway show paid $6,000 A PIECE for their seats (I paid, from the box office, $800, and I would, God willing, do it again).  We were second row, in front of the stage.   Ted Danson and his lovely wife Mary Steenburgen were two rows behind me. 

There should be no outrage; they are going to be priced at what they are one way or the other; so they can either buy them from the box office and maybe Bruce - who needs the cash, amirite? - will see some of it, or they will pay the scalpers, which is wasted money.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: July 21, 2022, 01:02:03 PM »
Yeah, it's the premium seating which they're pricing based on demand, so basically charging whatever they want. If there's a market, whose to blame them, right?

I'll stick with my small market shows that have 4 bands in a tiny club for 25 bucks.

Something to be said for that; I paid $35 for my Ace Frehley tickets, and while it wasn't the greatest show I've ever seen, it was well worth the money, for sure.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #450 on: July 21, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »
The important thing, as I see it, is how many of the seats are based on demand and how many are available for the rank and file. What's the breakdown? They need to maintain some sort of balance so that us lowly plebes can still see a favorite band, and ideally that should include a chance at good seats. Also, there's the problem of this certified fan thing. It seems to me that if the whole "certified fan" thing means actual fans then they should get a crack at the normal, face value seats, and the others should be paying the demand based price. In truth, though, it's really just a lottery and the scalpers have just as much of a shot at getting a code as anybody else.

Now that I think about it, this is actually no different than it was 30 years ago when we hung out at a record store or Sears to buy tickets when they went on sale, and we were happy with what we got. Except now they charge stupid prices for the experience.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: July 21, 2022, 01:19:44 PM »
It seems to me that if the whole "certified fan" thing means actual fans then they should get a crack at the normal, face value seats, and the others should be paying the demand based price. In truth, though, it's really just a lottery and the scalpers have just as much of a shot at getting a code as anybody else.

Yeah, the certification thing should make it so actual fans have a shot at tickets, but it certainly doesn't seem like that's how it works in reality.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #452 on: July 21, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »

Something to be said for that; I paid $35 for my Ace Frehley tickets, and while it wasn't the greatest show I've ever seen, it was well worth the money, for sure.

Two weeks ago I spent $25 for Allegeaon and 5 other bands in a bar attached to a bowling alley, and Allegeaon always kicks ass. The next night it was $15 for Nemophila at the Whisky A Go Go, again, totally worth it (discounting the 200 for gas to LA and the 300 for the hotel room)

The important thing, as I see it, is how many of the seats are based on demand and how many are available for the rank and file. What's the breakdown? They need to maintain some sort of balance so that us lowly plebes can still see a favorite band, and ideally that should include a chance at good seats. Also, there's the problem of this certified fan thing. It seems to me that if the whole "certified fan" thing means actual fans then they should get a crack at the normal, face value seats, and the others should be paying the demand based price. In truth, though, it's really just a lottery and the scalpers have just as much of a shot at getting a code as anybody else.

Now that I think about it, this is actually no different than it was 30 years ago when we hung out at a record store or Sears to buy tickets when they went on sale, and we were happy with what we got. Except now they charge stupid prices for the experience.

Ah man...waiting overnight for tickets is an experience kids these days will sorely lack. Spending an evening, first in line for tix for The Who at the record store with my brother, getting all loaded and only staying awake with the help of chemical assistance, partying with a ton of like minded music fans, such a fantastic time. And the end reward? 2nd row at the Oakland coliseum, right in front of Pete Townshend.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: July 21, 2022, 01:32:39 PM »
I've never had to wait for tickets, I was just beyond that point when I started going to shows.  But if I'm honest, I don't think I would prefer that method.  I'm sure it was fun and all to hang out with people wanting to see the show (kind of similar to waiting in line to enter a venue) but I'd rather deal with the ticketmaster crap.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: July 21, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »
It seems to me that if the whole "certified fan" thing means actual fans then they should get a crack at the normal, face value seats, and the others should be paying the demand based price. In truth, though, it's really just a lottery and the scalpers have just as much of a shot at getting a code as anybody else.

Yeah, the certification thing should make it so actual fans have a shot at tickets, but it certainly doesn't seem like that's how it works in reality.

One of the things I've noticed is that there is a differential in venues.  Meaning, I find that I have a very good chance of decent seats at the Meadows, our local shed (you've been there, Marc) that seats about 6,500 under the shed and 20,000+ on the lawn, and at the Oakdale (you've been there too) that seats 5,000 and several of the clubs in the area.  I haven't been able to get a ticket through the box office for a casino show - Mohegan or Foxwoods, each arena seats about 10K if memory serves - in over five years.  My wife wanted to go see Luke Combs this spring and got ONE ticket through the fan club; I went on during the regular sale, went through two cycles of waiting then was directed to the "certified re-sale", i.e. the official scalpers.  I'm now going to wait and buy one in the lobby before the show.