Author Topic: Concerts for 2022  (Read 36946 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Concerts for 2022
« Reply #315 on: May 13, 2022, 12:07:42 PM »
A mile walk isn't that bad too if that's an option.  It's about a 1.5 mile walk from Penn Station to Irving Plaza that I did the other night and many times before. 

Honestly, been enjoying those long walks before concerts.  I pop in my head phones, grab a white claw from a local store in a paper bag for 3 bucks and enjoy the walk. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:33:04 AM by cramx3 »

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #316 on: May 13, 2022, 12:31:47 PM »
I mean walking a mile from the lot to the stadium is fine.  It's walking back to the lot at around 11PM at night that's more of a concern. 

Heck, when I saw Alter Bridge in 2019 in Raleigh, NC, the hotel was a mile away from the venue, but the venue was in the middle of nowhere, so I opted to play it safe and take an Uber back to the hotel room that night.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #317 on: May 13, 2022, 03:12:40 PM »
Holding out hope for a reasonable McCartney ticket for tonight, but not looking likely..
But stubhub has $10 Steve Hackett tickets for tomorrow night, so there will be at least one show in my weekend  :tup

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2022, 01:36:10 AM »
Well, that was a fun show.  I lasted around 2.5 hours and left around the Abbey Road medley ending.  Sound was ok for a stadium show.  The view was as one expected (which was not too great) and thankfully, there was a jumbotron that had more closeups of the stage throughout the night.  A lot of hits, a lot of screaming ladies, a lot of singalongs, and a lot of McCartney's charm in full display.  Obviously, the largest crowd I've seen.  Must be roughly 50k-60k people in that football stadium.  I'm amazed on how many different instruments this guy played throughout the show.  He had his usual violin bass, but he was playing electric guitar for a few songs (with an awesome psychedelic design), played mandolin for a song, the ukulele, an acoustic guitar for a few songs, and of course, the piano.  Was definitely worth seeing and crossing that off my list of bands/artists I really want to see and I think that was the last one.

As for parking, I found a good enough garage on Spothero for $16.00.  Was able to get in, show my pass through the app, and got out without any issues.  Walking 1.2 miles to the stadium and back was pretty exhausting.  Especially walking back, since the sidewalk was slightly uphill.  Probably will feel the leg pain tomorrow.  Best to take the Uber/Lyft back to the lot moving forward for any shows in Inglewood.  Don't know what shows I will see there, but at least, I found a way to get cheap parking in the area and avoid congestion around the Forum/SoFi Stadium area.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #319 on: May 18, 2022, 08:43:52 AM »
Your parking stories are always so interesting.  I feel like I hardly ever drive to concerts.  It's always train or uber. 

Last weekend was Limp Bizkit at MSG.  Much more fun show than I expected. Got there a bit late so missed the first two bands but there was a guy on stage just talking to the crowd.  He seemed to basically be trolling the crowd asking very odd questions.  (this is relevant later).  The 3rd band came on and I was not into them AT ALL.  Not just because they were a rap band, but because they were wayy too loud.  Like it was hurting my ears and my gf's ears.  We were on the floor so we went up to the main concourse level to walk around the arena during their set. 

Limp Bizkit came on and it started with Fred Durst sitting on a couch saying he's sick and his doctor told him to cancel the show.  He asked if the crowd would help so the show would go on, of course everyone said yes and he went right into Dad Vibes from the couch before getting up and the band coming out halfway during the song.  Pretty cool and unique start with the show.  I have no idea if that's part of the show or if he legit was sick.  Part of me thinks its part of a joke because of cancelling the shows last year from covid.  Anyway, their show was pretty energetic and sounded very live to me. Fred was pretty entertaining between songs.  They brought up random fans during certain songs.  The opening bands came out and sang on certain songs too.  As Fred said, they don't do concerts, they do parties and it definitely seemed like a party on stage.  At one point, the guy from earlier in the night came out saying Fred needed to follow a contract.  Fred then ripped the guys clothes off.  I have no idea what the deal was here, but this was just hilarious.  Obviously an act, but just good fun happening live on stage as it went right into a DJ lethal medley fo 90s songs before the band did a full live version of Rage Against the Machine's Killing in the Name of.  Sadly, apparently they had a hard curfew and our show got cut off shorter than the others on the tour.  They ended with Break Stuff with all the house lights on which makes for a very different feel.  Saw some people going wild on the floor. 

Limp Bizkit LIVE @ Madison Square Garden New York City NY 5/13/2022

I'm debating about seeing this on Friday:

May 20th - Slipknot & Cypress Hill @ Barclays Center, Brooklyn NY

but because I'm going to this, I may not go to Brooklyn:

May 21st - Disturbed, The Pretty Reckless, Royal Blood, Living Colour @ Waterfront Pavilion, Camden NJ

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #320 on: May 19, 2022, 11:08:13 AM »
Just got an email that Ghost is touring with Mastodon and Spiritbox. Might try to make the Sept. 10 show. If I go is mainly for Mastodon. I like Spiritbox enough, but I don't think I know a single song from Ghost (At least not that I can think of).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #321 on: May 19, 2022, 11:22:45 AM »
Just got an email that Ghost is touring with Mastodon and Spiritbox. Might try to make the Sept. 10 show. If I go is mainly for Mastodon. I like Spiritbox enough, but I don't think I know a single song from Ghost (At least not that I can think of).

I'm not a huge fan or anything and you have to be sort of into their schtick, but I saw Ghost open for Maiden, and other than a short "rant" about I think vaginas, or maybe oral sex, I'm not sure which, it was a rather engaging show.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #322 on: May 19, 2022, 12:09:35 PM »

I'm not a huge fan or anything and you have to be sort of into their schtick, but I saw Ghost open for Maiden, and other than a short "rant" about I think vaginas, or maybe oral sex, I'm not sure which, it was a rather engaging show.

Sounds interesting. I'll check out their music and see if I like it, you never know
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: May 19, 2022, 12:21:14 PM »
Ghost put on a really good show.  That tour is an awesome trio if you ask me.  All a bit different styles of metal/rock, but I like all three of those bands and funny enough I've seen all three within the last 7 or so months so I know they are all good bands live.  The timing has me questioning if I can make it, I'm leaning towards the UBS arena show over Trenton because of the timing (I'll be in Boston on the 8th for Aerosmith and my gf is trying to make a weekend out of it, I kind of want to get back home so I can make one of these shows...).  If I can go, I want to see Spiritbox the most but I fear they may play the same opening set they recently did locally and it just won't be as good the second time because it will be in an arena not a sold out GA pit ballroom.  I do want to see some of the new Ghost songs that they are performing now too.  I'd say Mastadon would be my least interested in of the 3, but I know they would put on a good show too. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #324 on: May 19, 2022, 02:38:40 PM »
Marc, there's a medium chance I'll be at that Aerosmith show with my friend Jim.  I'll let you know.  He knows Boston really well, so maybe we can find a good place to catch a beer before the show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #325 on: May 19, 2022, 02:40:07 PM »
Stads, last time you saw Areosmith?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: May 19, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
Stads, last time you saw Areosmith?

Hmmm... it's been a while.  Holy shit: I just looked it up: 2005, on the "Rockin' The Joint" tour.  Man. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: May 19, 2022, 02:53:27 PM »
Marc, there's a medium chance I'll be at that Aerosmith show with my friend Jim.  I'll let you know.  He knows Boston really well, so maybe we can find a good place to catch a beer before the show.

Nice, my gf is trying to make a weekend out of this trip but she doesn't have a ticket and it's super expensive on the second hand market.  I'm kind of in a bad situation since it's also her birthday, but she knows I have a good single seat that I've held for 2 years.  If you happen to know anyone offloading a pair of tickets, let me know so I can grab those and get rid of my single.  If I try to do that now, it's going to cost an arm and a leg. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: May 19, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

Nice, my gf is trying to make a weekend out of this trip but she doesn't have a ticket and it's super expensive on the second hand market.  I'm kind of in a bad situation since it's also her birthday, but she knows I have a good single seat that I've held for 2 years.  If you happen to know anyone offloading a pair of tickets, let me know so I can grab those and get rid of my single.  If I try to do that now, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Will do...

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #329 on: May 21, 2022, 01:49:45 AM »
So Nightwish was a fun show like everyone says.  Beast in Black seemed to have a fun vibe and played well and people did like them, but it's hard for me to get over the hump when it comes to the piped vocals and the guitarists choreograph.  As for Nightwish, I thought I can properly say that this was the first European band I've seen after we are able to go to concerts again, but I saw Paul McCartney last week, so Nightwish is basically the first non-UK European band I've seen this year.  Floor, obviously, had a great aura that exuberate a great atmosphere.  Heck, I was in the seats area in the upper balcony and there were people around me having a great time standing and dancing around.  I actually had a chance to get a decent GA view for an additional $22.00 on TickPick, at around 7:15 PM-7:30 PM, but my legs still haven't really recovered from all of the walking last Friday when seeing Paul McCartney, so I think for the sake of my legs, I passed since I don't really want to stand for another 3-4 hours or so.

I have nothing else to add on that you would not get in Cramx's review for the show, but it was a good time.  Easily worth the $25.00 I've spent for the seat.

As for the next concerts I want to see.  I've got my eyes on Starset in June and maybe go see Lindsey Stirling for a 5th time in Costa Mesa in the OC County fair in July.  We'll see as I'm going to continue playing the waiting game.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2022, 02:19:16 AM »
So...I'm all set for Symphony X in Denver on Monday. I'll be heading out Sunday and leaving Tuesday. This will be my first show driving alone too and it should be a fun road trip.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #331 on: May 21, 2022, 07:35:01 AM »
Thinking I may pass on seeing Haken/Symphony X...I have an AA meeting at 6 that night, and I'm celebrating 11 years so I really want to enjoy it with my 'family'. And for some stupid reason the show starts at 7 and no way am I driving 40 miles to SF, finding parking, and getting in the venue without missing some of Haken's set. Seeing as it's not a full set, I don't see how this will be done, I'm sure they'll do a headline tour down the road anyways when they release their next full length album.

Zero interest in seeing Symphony X to be honest.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: May 21, 2022, 08:27:36 AM »
I passed on seeing Slipknot/Cypress Hill last night.  I monitored tickets all day and they never dropped below face value and when you add in the costs and time to get to Brooklyn (and it started to pour outside) I said fuck it I'm going to need that energy and money for today.  I'm about to head out to Camden for a Philly rock radio festival today.

Here's today's agenda, mostly looking forward to Living Colour and Disturbed, but other than Disturbed, I've never seen any of these bands so lots of new experiences today

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2022, 07:22:05 AM »
Saw British Steel, a Judas Priest tribute band, Friday.   It was a local place, sort of a gaming place (arcade, mini-golf, batting cages) that puts on bands at night.  I've seen Cold Train, sort of a southern rock/Skynyrd band that is VERY good there, and Aquanett, an 80's cover band (with a KILLER singer) plays there a lot (she can sing ANYTHING).  But this band was on the small, outdoor stage, and once I saw "KK" and "Glenn" on the side of the stage I was expecting the worst.  "Glenn" was wearing a wig that was CLEARLY bought at one of those pop-up Halloween stores, and "KK" looked like Henry Winkler, now.   At least "Rob" was bald and had the goatee, so he sort of looked the part...

Then they started with "Out In The Cold" with piped in keyboards.  My friend and I were starting to figure this was really going to suck and so I moved on to my second Blue Moon.   But then "Rob" really started to sing.  Now, other than the solos, Priest isn't THAT hard to play, not with two guitar players, but the band is make or break on how good Rob is on any given night.  This dude - Tim "Atom Bomb" Dannebaum, is his real name - friggin' KILLED it.  He sang EVERYTHING.  The scream on Victim of Changes, he did Freewheel Burning, he did Painkiller, he did Diamonds and Rust, he did Beyond The Realms Of Death.

You can hear snippets of them online - "British Steel" or "BritishSteelNY" - and it was a fun night.  The guitar players were okay; passable.  They played the harmonies well, the solos, besides being way too far down in the mix, were close but no cigar.   "Ian Hill" didn't look at all like the real Ian Hill, and he moved WAY too much to be the real thing.  My friend joked that this guy moved more in six songs than Ian Hill has moved in six tours.   The drummer was really good; he was more "Les Binks" than "Scott Travis", but he nailed the parts, including my favorite Priest fill, that rolling fill before the chorus in "Heading Out To The Highway". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2022, 07:31:11 AM »
Saw The Hu Friday night with my kids.  Holy crap, that was fun.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2022, 12:27:03 PM »
2/20/2022 - Coheed and Cambria in Tucson
3/19/2022 - Punk in Drublic (NOFX, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, The Bouncing Souls, Lagwagon, Authority Zero, The Last Gang, The Venomous Pinks)
4/2/2022 - MxPx, Zebrahead, Bad Cop/Bad Cop
4/24/2022 - Ufest (Rise Against and Coheed and Cambria with Pennywise, Highly Suspect, Atreyu, DED, Plush, and Dropout Kings)
6/21/2022 - A Wilhelm Scream, Brendan Kelly, MakeWar, Skull Drug
8/20/2022 - My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria in Oklahoma City
9/9/2022 - Authority Zero (20 year anniversary of A Passage in Time), The Venomous Pinks

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »
Saw The Hu Friday night with my kids.  Holy crap, that was fun.

They are on the Five Finger Death Punch and Megadeth tour later this summer.  I plan on going and I think I want to see them more than the headliners. 

Last Saturday was the MMRBQ festival.  Got there on time to catch all 8 bands. For the first 4 bands, the venue is completely GA.  So while I had a $25 lawn ticket, I spent most of the time for the first 4 bands up in the pit, basically right up front.  I must say, this was a lot of fun just to be so close.  The first band was Huxley.  Never heard or listened to them.  They were OK.  Seemed like generic radio rock and the singer sounded like he had some effect or something on his voice.  Second up was Lilith Czar.  I would say she was probably my least favorite set from a music perspective.  Her songs didn't gel with me at all.  But her banter between songs about following your dreams and staying true to yourself were things I could get behind.  I ended up getting a guitar pic that she threw into the crowd. 

Next was Crobot. Really reminded me of The Darkness who I recently saw.  Fun energetic rock set that felt more like 80s than 2020s.  Basically up my ally type of rock.  Enjoyed their set a lot including a happy birthday to the singers daughter who he brought out on stage.  And last of the GA portion of the day was Low Cut Connie. Easily the most different act of the day.  A rock act, but not hard rock, more like 50/60s rock.  Heavy piano and female backing vocals.  I thought they were really fun.  Not music I really enjoy to go get an album, but a band that is very fun to watch/listen live.  Really enjoyed their vibe and their set was a fun way to end my day in the pit up close. 

They make everyone leave the seats/pit after the GA portion of the show, so out to the lawn/concessions area I went.  This SUCKED, mostly because it was 90+ outside and I now could not chill in the shade.  But that's what I paid for! Living Colour were the first of the main acts and the band I wanted to see most!  I've NEVER seen a band argue on stage before.  It was time for them to start, they were on stage, instruments worked (they jammed for 30 seconds before actually starting their set), and mics were on.... but something was wrong.  Not sure what, but they were delaying the start and you could hear them arguing about getting started. The singer looked pissed. Eventually they started.  Their bass sounded so good.  The guitarist looked like he had a very different style of playing than anyone I've watched before.  They were raw and not perfect, but I enjoyed it very much.  I love the rawness of the live show.  Sadly for me, the heat was getting to me. During their set I started feeling VERY tired, but I rocked out and enjoyed their set to the best of my abilities.  My video also suffered because of the sun and the shadows sadly.  At the end of their set I ran into the singer of Crobot with his daughter walking around the venue.  I got a really cool pic with him. 

For the next two bands I spent most of it sitting on the lawn, drinking tons of water, and eating crab fries.  I was just exhausted and wanted to regain my energy for Disturbed.  Royal Blood were pretty good.  A two piece band that sounded like much more.  The guitar playing was top notch.  I didn't really connect with the songs though, but they were a cool band to see.  The Pretty Reckless were decent.  I'm not too into them, so musically it hardly connected.  A few decent songs though.  Taylor Momsen does like to put on a show wiht her stripper walk and long legs showing off for 60 minutes.  It did get a bit tiring to see her keep doing that after 5 minutes, but I guess people like that.  I don't find her that attractive honestly so her trying to be sexy only goes so far for me, the music needs to hold up and it just doesn't for me. 

The night ended with Disturbed.  It was finally completely dark and I felt alive again.  I snuck past a security guard not looking and found an empty seat to chill in for the entire set.  (OK tbh, I couldn't tell if I actually snuck past or they just stopped caring) But I was happy to be in a seat again and not on the lawn.  They got a full 90 minute set which included a couple older songs I wasn't expecting and they hadn't played in awhile, they announced a new album soon, but otherwise a pretty basic Disturbed set.  The first time I've seen them without any pyro or video behind them.  They seemed very raw as well.  They haven't done many shows at all since the pandemic so I guess it wasn't surprising to see them be a bit sloppy.  Like Living Colour though, not enough to ruin the show but it was noticeable and it was completely fine for me.  Really fun set and easily the biggest and most active set from the crowd all day.

MMRBW 2022 - Disturbed, The Pretty Reckless, Royal Blood, Living Colour, and more!

Next up is ProgPower festival in Atlanta next week!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2022, 11:45:10 AM »
I've mentioned a few times here over the last few  years that I would be open to the idea of going to my first country concert.  The big amphitheater by me is open for the summer now and this friday is Tim McGraw.  I mentioned to my gf the idea of going to check it out and got a big NO  :lol one day maybe I will check out one, but not this weekend...

In other news, I got some frames for some of my setlists I've got over the years, I don't know why it took the Nightwish setlist recently for me to finally do this:

I will order another pack of these frames, I have two more setlists I want to frame.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2022, 12:10:30 PM »
2/20/2022 - Coheed and Cambria in Tucson
3/19/2022 - Punk in Drublic (NOFX, Me First & The Gimme Gimmes, The Bouncing Souls, Lagwagon, Authority Zero, The Last Gang, The Venomous Pinks)
4/2/2022 - MxPx, Zebrahead, Bad Cop/Bad Cop
4/24/2022 - Ufest (Rise Against and Coheed and Cambria with Pennywise, Highly Suspect, Atreyu, DED, Plush, and Dropout Kings)
6/21/2022 - A Wilhelm Scream, Brendan Kelly, MakeWar, Skull Drug
8/20/2022 - My Chemical Romance, Coheed and Cambria in Oklahoma City
9/9/2022 - Authority Zero (20 year anniversary of A Passage in Time), The Venomous Pinks

Great to see some love of punk from someone other than Cram  :lol  I'm so jealous of the Punk in Drublic festival, I'd love to go to that as the line up is always amazing and NOFX are my favourite punk band. Throw in some Coheed shows (my favourite all time band), My Chemical Romance and Authority Zero and I'm proper green with envy.

I came here to post that I just got tickets for Coheed's UK tour in October, and I'm so pumped. Also, two weeks before Coheed I'm going to The Royal Albert Hall to see the Distant Worlds Orchestra (Final Fantasy music) for the third time  :heart

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2022, 12:19:36 PM »
Hey twosuit, also expecting to see the Skints this summer!  They are returning to the US to open for Flogging Molly, The Interrupters, and Tiger Army.  Should be a good show.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2022, 12:24:57 PM »

Great to see some love of punk from someone other than Cram  :lol  I'm so jealous of the Punk in Drublic festival, I'd love to go to that as the line up is always amazing and NOFX are my favourite punk band. Throw in some Coheed shows (my favourite all time band), My Chemical Romance and Authority Zero and I'm proper green with envy.

I came here to post that I just got tickets for Coheed's UK tour in October, and I'm so pumped. Also, two weeks before Coheed I'm going to The Royal Albert Hall to see the Distant Worlds Orchestra (Final Fantasy music) for the third time  :heart

Funny, we left before NOFX because they generally are awful live lol Anyone who covers Linoleum almost always plays it better than NOFX live. I believe I saw on IG that Fatmike is over in Europe somewhere! Dunno what for, but I assume some shows. I think I saw Authority Zero is headed to Europe at some point soon too.
As for the coheed UK tour - is this with Thursday? I'd go see that combo for sure.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
Hey twosuit, also expecting to see the Skints this summer!  They are returning to the US to open for Flogging Molly, The Interrupters, and Tiger Army.  Should be a good show.

Yea that's a good line up. I'd love to catch The Interrupters!

Funny, we left before NOFX because they generally are awful live lol Anyone who covers Linoleum almost always plays it better than NOFX live. I believe I saw on IG that Fatmike is over in Europe somewhere! Dunno what for, but I assume some shows. I think I saw Authority Zero is headed to Europe at some point soon too.
As for the coheed UK tour - is this with Thursday? I'd go see that combo for sure.

This is blasphemy of the highest order! I don't think NOFX are necessarily terrible live. Fat Mike is sober now (I think) so they'd probably be tighter. They just play warts and all, and care about putting on a fun show, more than a perfect (musically) show. The fact that Fat Mike and Melvin are sometimes sloppy is offset by the fact that El Hefe and Smelly are tight as fuck. When you see NOFX it's part stand up as far as I'm concerned. You know how you see bands on tour and things can feel rehearsed, like the setlist and the banter (with the crowd, or each other) etc. NOFX never feels like that. They literally enjoy to play and don't necessarily care if the crowd enjoy it, as they are totally enjoying it. They wrote a song called 60%, basically about it.

As for the UK Coheed tour, it's Thrice they're playing with  :metal

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2022, 12:39:17 PM »
The banter/stand up portion is the worst! LOL play a song dammit  :rollin

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #343 on: May 25, 2022, 12:46:37 PM »
The banter/stand up portion is the worst! LOL play a song dammit  :rollin

It's OK, they can make half the show stand up and still play about 30 songs  :rollin

Their live album 'They've Actually Gotten Worse Live' may be my second favourite Live album of all time!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
Finally getting some rest from the travel to and from Denver.

The Symphony X/Haken/Trope show at the Oriental Theater in Denver was an amazing show. All of these bands I saw for my first time, it was an entirely new experience, even seeing a show at that venue was a first. Parking was easy as there was parking all around on the side of the streets. Entered the venue and was surprised at how intimate it is. It's all GA with sections, you have the pit floor and then 3 rows of raised levels.

I saw Trope from the 2nd level and had a great spot. I sort of agree with Cram and others about Trope. The issue for me is that, while I didn't mind the music, the show could've been way better and that put a damper in their overall live show for me. The music reminded me of Tool, 10 years, and Flyleaf. Since it was just a guitarist and a female singer, the show would've been way more enhanced with a live drummer and bassist. That music style calls for a live bassist and drummer, and it just doesn't work with only a guitar and vocals, especially when the guitars are not doing much. There were people who didn't give a damn at all and were jamming out. Kudos to them, but I couldn't help but keep thinking, "This could be so much better"....

Haken was next and I went to the bathroom and found a spot down in the pit floor on stage right. I was behind the person on the barrier and was able to see almost everything. The person beside him and me were tall so I couldn't even see Ray at all. But, I was in front of Charlie and Pete so that made for it. I enjoyed the set a lot and didn't mind the Virus songs at all. The highlight was definitely 1985 for me, as Affinity is my favorite album. The Cockroach King was cool to see them do all the vocal parts as well too. Carousel was a great song live, but it's an odd one to end the show with.

While the house lights came on, I looked back and saw the floor got pretty packed, the people in front of me left, and one guy went there, and then asked, "Are they saving their spot?" to which another guy said, "NO".  So I then asked the people behind me to save my spot and rushed to the bathroom. I went back down and got my spot back, only there was an empty spot, and then the guy there let me in, and the people behind me let me have that spot. I was so thankful that someone let the short person up front, his words, "short people need to be in the front."

Symphony X finally started with their intro tape which was an overture of sorts from there many intro songs, it was neat to hear. Nevermore is a good opener, and all the songs were great. I was right in front of Michael Romeo, which was amazing to see up close. I sang my ass of to Evolution (The Grand Design), and hearing Sea of Lies was awesome. I liked the piano interlude that segued into When All Is Lost, which was the highlight for me. The banter relating to covid wasn't really bad at all, it was more about the band being able to play music live, and the fans getting to experience live shows again, which segued into the song Without You. Russell Allen is a great showman, and he was having fun with the security there in the front rows, trying to get the one in the black shirt "The one in the black shirt is usually the one in charge" as Allen put it, to sing too. Allen also thanked him for keeping this guy who was in those mobile wheelchairs, close to immobile, safe from the moshers. The crowd was really nice too and they did all they could to keep him safe as well. There was also some family members there in the seated balcony, and also, the bass player from Trans-Siberian Orchestra too. At the end of the Odyssey, Russell and Romeo were having some fun before belting out the last final notes.

Overall, it was a fantastic show and despite not liking the setlists, the show was still amazing. I didn't care at all because it was my first time seeing them all. Just being able to witness them and experience a set from both bands was my highlight of the night. I bought a Symphony X beanie and the Haken Virus hoodie. Also, at the end of the show, no one was waiting to ask for the set-list. The roadie came by to pick up stuff and I just hollered a "Hey" and an "Excuse me" then asked if he could hand me the set-list, which he then took it off and handed it to me. That had to be the easiest set-list I have ever attained. I also just missed catching Jason Rullo's Drumstick but the lady behind me caught it when it bounced off her companions hand.

I would say to go to this show if you are on the fence on seeing Symphony X and Haken.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #345 on: June 06, 2022, 03:04:12 AM »
After moving to a - what I thought - prog-free part of Germany, I still found some interesting gigs within a good driving distance (2 hours at most - except for the festivals).  :metal

Attended so far:
- Gazpacho + Pure Reason Revolution (8.4.22, Bad Cannstatt)
- Gotthard + Siggi Schwarz (28.4.22, Ulm)

Still to come:
- Neal Morse Band (8.6.22, Ulm)
- festival: Midsummer Prog IV (25.6.22, Valkenburg/Netherlands)
- Snarky Puppy (30.6.22, Ulm)
- Mighty Oaks (1.7.22, Ulm)
- festival: Night of the Prog XV (22.-24.7.22, Loreley)
- King's X + The Sonic Brewery (1.9.22, München)
- Porcupine Tree (4.11.22, Bad Cannstatt)

:yarr
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #346 on: June 06, 2022, 08:41:50 AM »
As has been said, Trope was disappointing. I won't say horrible, like Cram did ( :lol), but certainly underwhelming. They're clearly trying to be Tool, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like Tool's showering us with new music. Not having an actual bass player ruins it, though. My hunch is that the bald guy plays bass and they couldn't afford to bring along a proper band. They're essentially touring with a iPad, a guitar, and a practice amp. They could do that in a small hatchback. While I found them disappointing I also couldn't help but think "good for them." They're living the poor musician life, playing in front of decent sized crowds, and I suspect they're enjoying it.

Haken was great. No surprise there. Carousel was a killer encore. No surprise there, either. Ross sounded good, and Hearne is, of course, the man.

SymX doesn't do much for me. I was going to bail on them after a couple of songs, but they did just enough to keep me there for the duration. Bass player's a monster.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: June 06, 2022, 12:18:43 PM »
 :lol I was pretty rough on my review of Trope mostly because of the tour they were on.  I just don't think that type of performance of almost all backing tracks works in a prog environment.  If they had a full band, I'd probably just leave at "not for me".  And as for "enjoying it" maybe they are, and if so, that's great.  But someone hinted they paid to be on this tour and I haven't really seen much positivity about them, so I'm wondering if this is even working out for them on any level.  I do appreciate the hussle and the balls though.  I'm planning on going back to see the end show in NJ on Sunday. 

I still have so much to go through for Progpower.  I wrote bits and peaces in the thread and would like to write some more but I'm just not able to at the moment.

However, I did complete my Day 3 and Day 4 videos that includes all my clips from the bands those days.

ProgPower USA XXI 2022 Day 4 Rhapsody Ihsahn Ray Alder Riot Arion

ProgPower USA XXI 2022 Day 3 Conception Jeff Scott Soto Jason Bieler Witherfalll The Cyberiam

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #348 on: June 07, 2022, 09:38:20 AM »
:lol I was pretty rough on my review of Trope mostly because of the tour they were on.  I just don't think that type of performance of almost all backing tracks works in a prog environment.  If they had a full band, I'd probably just leave at "not for me".  And as for "enjoying it" maybe they are, and if so, that's great.  But someone hinted they paid to be on this tour and I haven't really seen much positivity about them, so I'm wondering if this is even working out for them on any level.  I do appreciate the hussle and the balls though.  I'm planning on going back to see the end show in NJ on Sunday. 
It's keeping them out there. Presumably they could do a club tour with a proper band and people would remember what they do. Another thing to consider is that, while affordability was certainly an issue, it may also be the case that SymX prevented them from bringing the other two guys for space limitations.  They had precious little room on the stage where we saw them, and a drum kit was definitely not going to happen. I agree with you that the publicity they're getting isn't favourable, but I think that's largely because of the backing tapes. With a proper Justin Chancellor they'd do just fine on those sorts of tours.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #349 on: June 07, 2022, 04:45:54 PM »
Trying to keep this thing current, scratched a few shows that I ditched on, adding Nemophila at the Whisky in July..
1/16- Tool, Chase Center
2/6-   Dream Theater, Fox Theater
3/13- Allegaeon, DNA Lounge
4/23 Dragonforce, UC Theater
6/30- Allegaeon, The X Bar in Santa Clara
7/1- Nemophila, USA DEBUT, Whisky A Go Go
9/9- Aristocrats, Great American Music Hall
9/11- Nine Inch Nails, Greek Theater in Berkeley
9/21- Sabaton, Epica, Fox Theater
9/28- Porcupine Tree, The Masonic
10/7- Nemophila and a shit ton of other bands at Aftershock Festival

We'll see if I can pull off seeing Allegaeon, sleeping, driving 6 hours to LA, and seeing Nemophila. Not sure if my 50+ year old ass is up for that, which would be a bummer, cause Allegaeons new album is fucking dope.