Author Topic: 25 years ago today...  (Read 5183 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

25 years ago today...
« on: December 04, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »
Hard to believe that 25 years ago today, DT premiered 5 tracks from their upcoming new album, as well as Caught in Alice’s Nine Inch Tool Garden, and extended versions of Metropolis, LtL and TKH. How many of you were fortunate enough to be at that show in Poughkeepsie or one of the other Fix for 96 shows? I didn’t - was before I started road-tripping to see them.

Still, these shows bring back many fond memories of that era, being on the Ytsejam Mailing List, receiving the Images and Words fanzines and getting a bootleg recording of the first show to hear what these new songs sounded like!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: 25 years ago today...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »
I saw the show in Providence.

My Fix for '96 is my goto concert shirt for DT shows.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 04:00:37 AM »
I didn’t get to see them until the Metropolis 2 tour, but just peeking at Mike’s tourography, it feels like entire 96-98 period had some of the most interesting, fun setlists of their career and I’m disappointed I didn’t get to see them back then.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 06:04:09 AM »
Yeah, those must've been awesome times. DT being daring enough to play non-album material in a live setting (and not just FII material - they'd been playing lots of unreleased stuff on the previous tours, too). These days it's all so controlled and predictable.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »
I did hear them play the Caught medley live during my first ever DT show aged 10 (although that was in 2000)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
I did hear them play the Caught medley live during my first ever DT show aged 10 (although that was in 2000)
That's actually different from Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden. What you heard is Caught in a New Millennium, which is a mashup of Caught In Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden and New Millennium. NM having been spawned from Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 01:59:04 PM »
Aah, that's why. (excuse my all too faint memories)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 02:50:57 PM »
Hard to believe that 25 years ago today, DT premiered 5 tracks from their upcoming new album...

I am too lazy to look up what those 5 songs were. Can someone share?

I have no idea how I would have reacted in 1996, with DT being my favorite band, and I&W and Awake being 2 of my favorite, most oft-listened to albums, but going to a show and hearing 5 songs from what would become FII could have been a massive letdown, depending on what they were.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:42:38 PM »
Burning My Soul
Just Let Me Breathe
Peruvian Skies
Lines In The Sand
Take Away My Pain
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 04:06:58 PM »
Old Bridge, New Jersey show for me in '96! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 04:14:59 PM »

I have no idea how I would have reacted in 1996, with DT being my favorite band, and I&W and Awake being 2 of my favorite, most oft-listened to albums, but going to a show and hearing 5 songs from what would become FII could have been a massive letdown, depending on what they were.

Even though FII was a massive letdown, I don't remember feeling this way about the '96 show at all. I just thought it was great getting new music. I didn't expect so many new songs, but they all sounded good. I don't remember any special memories about any of the songs. Peruvain Skies and Lines In The Sand would be my two favorite tracks on FII. Take Away My Pain was a bit heavier than the FII version. Just Let Me Breathe is actually great live, even thought the FII version feels a bit limiting.

I was so happy to hear The Killing Hand, which I hadn't seen since the '92 shows. Plus Learning To Live!!

This was also the first time The (future) Lovely Mrs TAC came with me to a DT show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »

That's from the ytse jam official bootleg?  At Birch Hill?  I used to love that venue growing up.  Sadly, I was not a DT fan for another 10 years after this tour.  Would have been cool to see.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 04:28:55 PM »
This is the back of the shirt..

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 06:35:44 PM »
Hard to believe that 25 years ago today, DT premiered 5 tracks from their upcoming new album...

You can see the full setlist here:
https://mptour.mikeportnoy.com/dates/MPTourography/ShowInfo.aspx?showId=324

As for how you would feel, I'd imagine you would have been thrilled like all the Ytsejammers were back then. There was a lot of hype for the new album, and I can still remember being so excited to read the first reviews of the shows on the Ytsejam Mailing List right after they happened. And it didn't take long for bootlegs to circulate so that those of us not able to attend could also enjoy a taste of some new DT. When I heard the songs, I was thrilled with all of them - especially BMS and LitS. I know I listened to the recording I got repeatedly until those new songs (and the arrangements of the old songs) were etched deep into my memory.

To be honest with you, I think that was part of the reason why the final album was a bit of a letdown for many of us hardcore fans at the time: because the album didn't live up to those original live performances and there were other songs that were far more "meh" that weren't played at the show. Had Caveman not changed things around so much and had they chosen some of the other tracks instead of the ones that made the final cut, it probably would have been more favorably received than it was.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 09:09:09 PM »
I could definitely see how these shows could be such a big deal for the fans at the time. There is also the inclusion of Derek Sherinian and FII being his first (and only) Dream Theater album. The hype and tension of hearing the new songs and how they will sound with the new keyboardist was high. I could also definitely see how the fans were disappointed with the album after their first introduction to these songs were live and performed with arrangements that differed immensely from the versions that appeared on the album. I would've been even more disappointed with the album version of Take Away My Pain after hearing the song played with the live arrangement from the Old Bridge bootleg. Good thing I nabbed that before the closure of Ystejam Records website.

The set-list for these shows highlights Derek Sherinian being the new member as well. Caught In Alice's 9-Inch Tool Garden is the one song that does the job of showcasing Derek Sherinians keyboards to the audience.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 09:15:36 PM »

As for how you would feel, I'd imagine you would have been thrilled like all the Ytsejammers were back then. There was a lot of hype for the new album, and I can still remember being so excited to read the first reviews of the shows on the Ytsejam Mailing List right after they happened. And it didn't take long for bootlegs to circulate so that those of us not able to attend could also enjoy a taste of some new DT. When I heard the songs, I was thrilled with all of them - especially BMS and LitS. I know I listened to the recording I got repeatedly until those new songs (and the arrangements of the old songs) were etched deep into my memory.

I should have specified, I was not on board with all that at the time. I had no idea a Ytsejam Mailing List was a thing. I wasn't into music magazines/publications or any of that, never listened to bootlegs, and didn't even know anyone else who liked DT. So I would have gone in to one of those shows completely blind. I would have wondered what the hell happened with the keyboard player.  :lol So my expectations would have been different, not sure if heightened or otherwise, just different.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2021, 06:40:08 AM »

I should have specified, I was not on board with all that at the time. I had no idea a Ytsejam Mailing List was a thing. I wasn't into music magazines/publications or any of that, never listened to bootlegs, and didn't even know anyone else who liked DT. So I would have gone in to one of those shows completely blind. I would have wondered what the hell happened with the keyboard player.  :lol So my expectations would have been different, not sure if heightened or otherwise, just different.

I wasn't aware of any of the mailing lists either, but I was trading bootlegs back in the day from '89-'96. However by the time of this tour, I had basically stopped, and wouldn't start again for another 8 years.

Anyway, I also wasn't aware of any Ytsejam Mailing list. But I did see DT every time they came through. They came the summer before on the ACOS tour. Technically, Derek had toured with them for a couple of years. I saw the first night of the Awake tour, and it was definitely a surprise to see some short haired dude and not KevMo.
This show was my fourth time seeing them with Derek, and eighth time seeing DT.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2021, 07:45:10 AM »
I wasn't aware of any of the mailing lists either, but I was trading bootlegs back in the day from '89-'96. However by the time of this tour, I had basically stopped, and wouldn't start again for another 8 years.

Anyway, I also wasn't aware of any Ytsejam Mailing list. But I did see DT every time they came through. They came the summer before on the ACOS tour. Technically, Derek had toured with them for a couple of years. I saw the first night of the Awake tour, and it was definitely a surprise to see some short haired dude and not KevMo.
This show was my fourth time seeing them with Derek, and eighth time seeing DT.
So it sounds like you were pretty much in the same boat as Chris at that point, right? Did you know they were going to premiere new songs at that show? And whether you did or not, how did you feel about hearing those new songs? Did you leave the show looking forward to their new album or worrying that it wasn't going to be as good as IaW or Awake?

And Chris, what was the first DT show you saw? Didn't you see them on the Waking Up the World tour?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2021, 08:12:57 AM »

So it sounds like you were pretty much in the same boat as Chris at that point, right? Did you know they were going to premiere new songs at that show? And whether you did or not, how did you feel about hearing those new songs? Did you leave the show looking forward to their new album or worrying that it wasn't going to be as good as IaW or Awake?

And Chris, what was the first DT show you saw? Didn't you see them on the Waking Up the World tour?

I cannot remember how the show was billed. I do know the shirt I bought states "An Evening Of New Music".I don't remember it being a long time between albums at this point, because we had ACOS and they did play here for that, so I looked at the '96 show as their yearly visit.

As far as the songs themselves, I'm having a hard time remembering how I felt. Lines In The Sand stuck out and I remember liking it, though within days after the show I couldn't tell you why.

I think I felt like the songs were a tad unfinished, if that makes any sense. So I had no extra anticipation or concern over their next album based on what I heard.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
I didn't go to the show, but I indeed hear the new songs, at the time, for the first time in a bootleg from that tour and it was really exciting!!
Those times will never go back, but it was incredible to be a fan then!! It was really a privilege.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »
I just now went back and listened to Burning My Soul from the Old Bridge official boot.

Interesting that there is a very brief and mellow intro to the song that I don’t believe they played when they busted out the 96 version with Jordan on the SDOIT tour.

Overall, I really like the feel of this version. I hadn’t heard it in forever.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2021, 01:56:18 PM »
Interesting that there is a very brief and mellow intro to the song that I don’t believe they played when they busted out the 96 version with Jordan on the SDOIT tour.
There were some shows on that tour - especially when co-headlining with Satch - where they skipped that mellow intro, but for the majority of the shows where it was in the set, they did the full song including the mellow intro.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2021, 03:20:15 PM »

That's from the ytse jam official bootleg?  At Birch Hill?

:tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2021, 06:11:26 PM »
I was born in '95, so I don't think my '96 self would've appreciated a DT concert too much :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 10:39:18 PM »

Ha, you and I have never conversed on my DT history I imagine. Despite being introduced to DT in 92/93, I only ever knew them through their albums through the end of the 90s. I didn't really get on the internet till the late 90s, and none of my internet activity involved music. I didn't know WDaDU existed; knew they had a new keyboard player on FII, and then again on Scenes. I had never heard of Jordan, and didn't even know what he looked like till I got 6 Degrees and saw him in the booklet. Then I got the Live Scenes DVD, watched that repeatedly, listened to the audio commentary and finally went from "I love this band's music" to "I love these guys." My first live show was the ToT tour. But concerts were never a big thing for me. My first real rock show was in 2000(?). Styx, Bad Company, Billy Squire. And I only ended up going because I won tickets.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2021, 08:00:24 AM »
Went to their show in Milan (April 1997) for that tour...

Great memories. It was all very exciting... hearing new stuff, checking out what was cooking...The new songs that struck me the most from that live were Peruvian Skies, Lines in the Sand and Take Away My Pain. I remember being a little disappointed by the latter when I heard it on FII. Didn't feel quite as "powerful".

For some reason, I don't have much of a recollection of the live version of Burning My Soul - that must've been the extended cut with Hell's Kitchen included, correct?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
For some reason, I don't have much of a recollection of the live version of Burning My Soul - that must've been the extended cut with Hell's Kitchen included, correct?
Correct. It wasn't until they went into the studio a month and a half later that it was rearranged and the second half of HK was written.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »
I was at the Providence '96 show. When they opened with A Change of Seasons I was kinda stunned, thinking, wow are they really gonna open the show with a 20+ minute song?  Obviously, it was still cool how they interspersed the track throughout the night.

I remember walking in the venue and seeing the t-shirts that advertised an evening of new music.  I think that's how I learned about it. My friend which I brought along to her first DT show was kinda bummed that they might not play much material she was familiar with.  She was less bummed when she got Derek's phone number after the show, but I've shared that story elsewhere in this forum.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2021, 05:09:40 AM »
Imagine going to a DT concert in 2022/2023 and James announcing from the microphone that they are going to play a new song from the next album.
Without us ever having been told that they wrote/recorder new material,and without any of us to really expect something like this.
I would definitely go crazy!!!

Maybe it's time for them to bring something new to the table,like these surprises.
And now,imagine they took the time to create an EP while waiting for the tour to begin in February.
Drooling.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2021, 05:19:49 AM »
The spontaneity and unknown about what you might see at a DT concert is long missing. It essentially only exists on the first night of a tour. Granted, if they surprised with a new song, the live version would be on youtube right away so I can see why bands don't do that as often these days (although some still do).

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »
I saw the show in Providence.

My Fix for '96 is my goto concert shirt for DT shows.

I saw the Fix For '96 show at Mulcahy's on Long Island.   Recorded it on a cassette!  :lol   Still have the "home For the Holidays"  shirt.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
Wasn't Home For The Holidays in '98?

Unfortunately they didn't bring that to Providence or Boston.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 03:04:48 PM »
The spontaneity and unknown about what you might see at a DT concert is long missing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2021, 03:13:38 PM »
The spontaneity and unknown about what you might see at a DT concert is long missing.

It is? See, I think this is overrated. Other than a rotating setlist, the MP Era shows weren't that different. They may have had some improv spots, like Solitary Shell '09, but overall those shows were still pretty straightforward.

The 97-98 shows did seemed to have some spontaneity to them, but I chalk that up to MP being in WTF mode.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
Wasn't Home For The Holidays in '98?

Unfortunately they didn't bring that to Providence or Boston.

I made the trip to Hartford for Home for the Holidays in 1998.  Totally worth the trip.

While it's not new material, DT did play Don't Look Past Me which came as a shock.