Author Topic: Marvel Studios' Hawkeye (Disney+) - Episode 6/FINALE (December 22nd)  (Read 11494 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Marvel Studios' Hawkeye (Disney+) - Episode 6/FINALE (December 22nd)
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2021, 07:03:30 PM »
I enjoyed the episode, but was very disappointed with the handling of Kingpin. Don’t give me wrong, Vincent‘s performance was wonderful as usual, but the Netflix guy was not the superman that this episode made him out to be. They almost made him out to be Michael Myers level of indestructible. How do you shoot an arrow right into someone’s gut, and then hit them full on with the car and it barely even phases them?

I hope Vincent gets to come back and do more with that role. But I’m pretty disappointed so far. The rest of it was fantastic.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2021, 07:36:07 PM »
He was wearing the bulletproof suit as he always does, I'm sure it handles arrows handedly as well.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »
D'Onofrio was awesome as always. Just watching his face with the little twitching of various parts here and there. The man is just a clinic on acting.

Seeing that Maya is getting her own series, something tells me that this is not the last we have seen of the MCU Kingpin. That very well might have setup that series. First we got the blind guy vs Kingpin and now maybe we get the deaf girl vs Kingpin.

I'm wondering what significance there is to Clint's wife apparently having been an Agent of Shield. That has to come up somewhere again.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2021, 08:17:37 PM »
Loved the show. I have a crush on Hailee Steinfeld (Kate) now.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2021, 08:35:46 PM »
I enjoyed the episode, but was very disappointed with the handling of Kingpin. Don’t give me wrong, Vincent‘s performance was wonderful as usual, but the Netflix guy was not the superman that this episode made him out to be. They almost made him out to be Michael Myers level of indestructible. How do you shoot an arrow right into someone’s gut, and then hit them full on with the car and it barely even phases them?

I hope Vincent gets to come back and do more with that role. But I’m pretty disappointed so far. The rest of it was fantastic.

Apparently, the Kingpin in Daredevil was not comic accurate. Hawkeye Kingpin was, as he is super-powered and super strong. This adds more credence to them retconning the Netflix shows as canon. This is clearly not the Kingpin from Netflix, but a more comic accurate one.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jammindude

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2021, 10:17:42 PM »
D'Onofrio was awesome as always. Just watching his face with the little twitching of various parts here and there. The man is just a clinic on acting.

Seeing that Maya is getting her own series, something tells me that this is not the last we have seen of the MCU Kingpin. That very well might have setup that series. First we got the blind guy vs Kingpin and now maybe we get the deaf girl vs Kingpin.

I'm wondering what significance there is to Clint's wife apparently having been an Agent of Shield. That has to come up somewhere again.

Is that her watch? Or did someone give her theirs?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2021, 10:24:03 PM »
Re: Kingpin

I really liked the Netflix version just because not technically being “super powered” means he had to rely more on incredible intelligence and a certain amount of charisma. But he was incredibly strong as well. (Most men would not be capable of completely crushing a man’s skull into jelly with a car door…so ya…he was strong). But he always seemed to be one step ahead of everything you did. Even a face to face fight. Almost “Jedi reflexes” combined with an absolute ruthlessness.

If you hit him with a car, he would be in the hospital…but already have the wheels in motion on how to turn the entire thing to his advantage before the ambulance arrived.

Now…I will grant you that by the time he got to Echo, he seemed to be stumbling a bit. But if he is “super powered” in this universe, I hope they explain the back story a bit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2021, 11:36:30 PM »
Also…it could have been a gift from Clint himself. Because, as my stepson just reminded me, he was an AOS. (See: Thor the movie)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2021, 05:06:26 AM »
I liked the fusion of Netflix/Kingpin (ie, D'Onofrio), and Comic/Kingpin.

Overall good episode.  End credits scene was meh (and I only watched the 1st minute or so, as I'd heard it was JUST the musical number).  I would've liked seen Ruffalo or Rudd in the audience or something for a touch of humour.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2021, 05:52:20 AM »

Overall good episode.  End credits scene was meh (and I only watched the 1st minute or so, as I'd heard it was JUST the musical number).  I would've liked seen Ruffalo or Rudd in the audience or something for a touch of humour.

I had that song in my head all night at work.  :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »
Anyone else finding themselves scratching their heads a bit over Maya getting her own show? I didn't find her to be a very compelling character. In fact, I'd say you could have cut out her character altogether and it wouldn't have changed this show at all. She was clearly there just to set up her own show. I'll watch it, because I watch everything in the MCU, but as of right now, I guess I just don't see it.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2021, 06:00:11 AM »
I liked Maya's character, and would enjoy a show with her as the focus. I've known quite a few deaf people in my life, have a decent vocabulary with ASL, and Mrs. P is a full blown interpreter level signer...so, I may be biased.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dream Team

Re: Marvel Studios' Hawkeye (Disney+) - Episode 5 OUT NOW (December 15th)
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2021, 07:08:57 AM »
But anyway, the whole dusting thing. What’s all that about? I understand Thanos did something to make some people disappear like that, but then some of them came back?

Watch the movies and find out, ya weirdo.

Exactly this.  :facepalm:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2021, 07:10:16 AM »

All the more reason I'm glad I didn't watch it!!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2021, 07:29:12 AM »

All the more reason I'm glad I didn't watch it!!

I frikkin loved the post credit scene, but I'm hella biased since I love musical theater. The cheesier the better.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2021, 07:39:38 AM »
I'm with jingle. That credits scene was grating. I powered through it hoping something substantial would happen, but no. I'd be happy to never hear/see that again.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »
 :lol again I'm biased...probably from having a kid who was neck deep in it all through HS.

One quick observation, while Kingpin was near perfect in the opening scenes ("In the spirit of the holidays, I'm going to give you a minute to think about what you're starting right now"....such a perfectly delivered line), I felt he was a bit out of character in the final battle. Fisk is a rage fighter, when he gets rolling, nothing stops him, yet he kept just tossing Kate aside to go after her mom. To me, it seems at some point he'd do his usual loss of control and just bash her fucking head in.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2021, 08:46:28 AM »
:lol again I'm biased...probably from having a kid who was neck deep in it all through HS.

One quick observation, while Kingpin was near perfect in the opening scenes ("In the spirit of the holidays, I'm going to give you a minute to think about what you're starting right now"....such a perfectly delivered line), I felt he was a bit out of character in the final battle. Fisk is a rage fighter, when he gets rolling, nothing stops him, yet he kept just tossing Kate aside to go after her mom. To me, it seems at some point he'd do his usual loss of control and just bash her fucking head in.

Toss the hero around instead of just killing them cliche. *ding*

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »
I liked Maya's character, and would enjoy a show with her as the focus.
Well, you're in luck. The upcoming Disney + show Echo will feature the continuing story of Maya.

And the watch was Mrs. Barton's. In addition to the SHIELD insignia, the watch was also engraved with the number 19. In the comics, Agent 19 was Mockingbird, who went on to become the wife of Clint Barton. (Yes, I know the names of the characters are different.)

So in the MCU, they met, presumably, as fellow agents of SHIELD.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2021, 09:28:12 AM »
I liked Maya's character, and would enjoy a show with her as the focus.
Well, you're in luck. The upcoming Disney + show Echo will feature the continuing story of Maya.

And the watch was Mrs. Barton's. In addition to the SHIELD insignia, the watch was also engraved with the number 19. In the comics, Agent 19 was Mockingbird, who went on to become the wife of Clint Barton. (Yes, I know the names of the characters are different.)

So in the MCU, they met, presumably, as fellow agents of SHIELD.

Having just re-watched Age of Ultron, I found this quote amusing:

Tony Stark: [Clint is introducing the Avengers to his wife] She's an agent of some kind.
Clint Barton: Everyone, this is Laura.
Laura: Hi.
[smiles]
Laura: I already know who all of you are.
Tony Stark: [Clint and Laura's kids come into view]
[Bewildered]
Tony Stark: And these must be... mini-agents.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2021, 09:37:58 AM »
I thought that was a solid finale and the best finale among all the Disney/MCU shows possibly barring What If? from the live action shows this was my favorite, only had an iffy 1st episode which I think it was more about the tone rather than anything else. Not really sure where I'd rank them all but I think Hawkeye at the very top.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »
GREAT finale!  Loved how the relationship between Kate and Clint blossomed, and how they interacted throughout this episode.  Actually, pretty much all the characters were great. 

Minor grips:
-The watch/Mockingbird reveal was cool.  But at the same time, it just fell a little flat because, ultimately, it appears to be just a watch.  There isn't any reason for why the Track Suits would have wanted it so badly.  Maybe the point was that it would be a clue to establishing Mockingbird's true identity, and maybe she crossed paths with them in the past and they wanted to find her.  But if so, that was never explained fully enough.  So I kind of feel like that threat was unsatisfyingly underdeveloped, and they just distracted us with the Mockingbird reveal. 
-I know this is a common thing in superhero films, and has gotten increasingly common in the MCU, but it bugged me a bit that Kate was simply overpowered.  I can buy that she is a supremely talented archer and that she is a skilled martial artist.  But even given that, she should not have been able to go toe to toe with Yelena, and she should not have been able to take what Kingpin was giving her either.  Yeah, I know Yelena was pulling her punches because she liked Kate and didn't want to hurt her, but still.  And, likewise, Kingpin was apparently only trying to disable and go about his mission rather than trying to kill.  But, again, it just felt like I had to suspend just a bit too much belief. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2021, 10:56:54 AM »
In the comics Maya killed Kingpin. I hope they make a twist to the finale. I would love to see Kimgpin again

EDIT: kingpin doesn’t die in that comic book I mentioned he it’s blinded by the ahot for a certain time until he gets his sight back
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 06:57:18 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2021, 04:34:21 AM »
Florence Pugh as Yelena is knocking this out the ballpark, she stole Black Widow from Scarlett and here in the final two episodes she did the same thing to Jeremy and Hallie.  Brilliant performance.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2021, 07:46:05 AM »
Fun little show……was pretty underwhelmed by the finale and conclusion though.  It’s certainly the lowest ranking of the MCU spin-offs for me. With the other ones at least there was a ‘need’ for them in some way. There wasn’t much, if anything that came from this series that was needed IMO. Just a quick hit of a few Easter eggs and some cool action scenes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 25, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
Fun little show……was pretty underwhelmed by the finale and conclusion though.  It’s certainly the lowest ranking of the MCU spin-offs for me. With the other ones at least there was a ‘need’ for them in some way. There wasn’t much, if anything that came from this series that was needed IMO. Just a quick hit of a few Easter eggs and some cool action scenes.

Other than a need to pass the “Hawkeye” torch, I kinda feel the same. I don’t know why the watch was such a big ticket item for the Tracksuits to plan such a big heist around.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2021, 04:57:27 AM »
Overall I enjoyed this maybe the most out of the new D+ shows but I still had a few similar complaints like the big final end battle doesn't feel as exciting as the more 'character building' and 'setting up the plot' elements of the first couple of episodes. I did really like the twist that the guy dating the mom who felt like the obvious bad guy was actually a decent guy and the mom was the crooked one. That felt like a satisfying pay off to a story element that usually goes the other way. Cool to see Kingpin again but I also agree that the amount of damage he takes is a bit silly.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »
One thing that grated on me a little is that I really can’t stand that dog-faced Vera whatever. Hated her in the Godzilla movie too. But a solid effort, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite series after WandaVision and maybe What If?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2022, 02:28:42 PM »
One thing that grated on me a little is that I really can’t stand that dog-faced Vera whatever.

That seems unnecessarily insulting, IMO.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2022, 03:52:16 PM »
It really does.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2022, 05:48:40 PM »
One thing that grated on me a little is that I really can’t stand that dog-faced Vera whatever.

That seems unnecessarily insulting, IMO.
It really does.

Yeah, agreed.

Vera Farmiga was pretty good in the show, and I've heard good things about her other roles in recent years too (though I haven't seen them). If there is more to follow-up on Kate Bishop, you can bet her mom won't be far behind. They kept her alive at the end of the series for a reason, so I think we will see her again in a future MCU project.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2022, 12:50:34 PM »
One thing that grated on me a little is that I really can’t stand that dog-faced Vera whatever. Hated her in the Godzilla movie too.
That's pretty weird.  She's a good actress, and while she isn't my type, she's certainly not dog-faced, or unpleasant to look at in any way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2022, 09:03:52 AM »
Vera Farmiga was awesome in Bates Motel (as Norma Bates).

Offline Skeever

« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »
My wife and I just finished this up on Saturday. I really enjoyed it a lot, maybe even more so than Loki. It had its flaws. It could have been maybe it one episode shorter if you edited out a few things. I also felt like it left a few plot points on the table unexplained (like, to what extent was Jack complicent in things?), but it was just so fun and also funny. It was one of the moments where the quippy MCU style played really well, especially as the tracksuit bodies were piling up. And I absolutely love that Rodgers stage production.