Author Topic: Favorite Jordan Rudess solos  (Read 3305 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Favorite Jordan Rudess solos
« on: November 23, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
I’m making this thread as a response to the discussion about Jordan’s solos on the new album, which, while respectful, is fairly negative. To try to inject a little positivity without taking the thread off topic, I ask everyone what their favorite Jordan solos are. I’ll start it off, listing my favorite keyboard solo from each Dream Theater album featuring Mr. Rudess.

Scenes From a Memory: Home
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence: Blind Faith
Train of Thought: Honor Thy Father
Octavarium: Full Circle
Systematic Chaos: The Reckoning
Black Clouds & Silver Linings: A Rite of Passage
A Dramatic Turn of Events: Beneath the Surface
Dream Theater: Along for the Ride
The Astonishing: Dystopian Overture
Distance Over Time: Fall Into the Light
A View From the Top of the World: Sleeping Giant
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dream Team

Re: Favorite Jordan Rudess solos
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 08:49:59 AM »
You're right about Home. I like the one in OV a lot too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:22:33 PM »
I am not usually big on keyboard solos. If you asked me to name my favorite keyboard solos by anyone ever, I would be staring at a blank screen for 5 minutes.

Check that... I would type "Beneath the Surface" and then "Let me get back to you on that."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 08:30:37 PM »
I am not usually big on keyboard solos. If you asked me to name my favorite keyboard solos by anyone ever, I would be staring at a blank screen for 5 minutes.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 10:43:44 PM »
It’s never really talked about but the little ditty he does at 8:21 during Lost Not Forgotten is pretty damn cool, so damn proggy, it actually reminds me of Kevin Moore a bit.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 02:53:30 AM »
As I Am

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 06:19:02 AM »
I am a fan because of his performance of the Octavarium intro on Score.

Enough said. ✨✨✨
“It’s the gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden is sunny, why meddle?”
— Lady Sybil Crawley, Downton Abbey, Season 1

Offline Pettor

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »
Top one is def Octavarium solo on the analog synthesizer. Love the melody and sound!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 12:53:27 PM »
The last keyboard solo in A Stream of Consciousness. It's played on a very synthy string patch
The big Moog solo in Octavarium
Blind Faith Piano
TDOE Ragtime
The little improvised lead early in This is The Life
Beneath the Surface
Overture 1928
I don't know if it's exactly a solo but the lead at the end of Dystopian Overture
Lost Not Forgotten
Fatal Tragedy
Ministry of Lost Souls Lead
Beyond this Life Lead
A Tempting Offer
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline pcs90

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 11:28:31 PM »
Many of Jordan's best synth solos can be found on his Feeding the Wheel and Rhythm of Time albums. There are plenty of technical yet melodic solos on both of these, and to me it is obvious that he was very inspired while working on those projects.

In terms of the new album I thought the solos on Sleeping Giant and Awaken The Master were very well done. Sometimes Jordan gets carried away and the solos sound like musical vomit, meaning that there was no thought put into them beforehand, just hit play and shred. These two sound well thought-out, with thematic ideas.

Older tracks:
Blind Faith
Octavarium moog lead
Beyond This Life
Dystopian Overture (that ending is glorious! actually all of his solos on TA fit the particular moods very well)
Lost Not Forgotten (pretty crazy one, but somehow this one seems to fit very well with the chord changes)
Solo from the end of that Mangini audition jam (that one is so over the top I can't help but smile!)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 10:17:48 AM »
Jordan really came all guns blazing into Dream Theater. SFAM was a great introduction leaving no doubt that it was the right call to bring him on board. He had a great lead tone and made good use of it with melodic & memorable solos such as Fatal Tragedy, Beyond this Life, Home. He even had the inspiration to make something truly iconic, the ragtime solo in TDOE.

He continued red hot on Six Degrees, Blind Faith being a standout performance (both the piano & organ solos are lovely).

However, Train of Thought was a misstep in my opinion. The band going for an overly heavy sound squeezed him into a tight corner. Much like Jon Lord on Machine Head, he went for a heavy guitar-like sound, but unlike Jon's Hammond tone that still managed to sound good and unique, Jordan's guitar-like, wah-wah drenched lead sound really cannot be justified. It just sounds like a bad guitar. The first part of his Budokan solo is probably his worst Dream Theater-moment. The wonderful second part redeemed it somewhat though.

(edit: It's funny, I haven't been on DTF for ages and just checked out my post history. My second post ever, nearly from a decade ago, is basically the same thing, me trashing JR's Budokan solo, but mentioning the redeeming qualities of the second part.  :lol)
After Live at Budokan came out, my piano teacher gave the DVD to me, suggesting to pay attention to Jordan Rudess, 'cause he's one of the greatest. Being an avid classic prog rock enthusiast, I remember how disappointed I was after the first two songs, so I decided to fast forward to Jordan's solo, which was even worse. I remember saying to myself: what's the point of a keyboard solo, if he makes it sound exactly like an electric guitar? Fortunately, the second part of the solo was better and after that I checked out Instrumedley which completely blew me away and prompted me to check out their discography. I&W and Scenes became instant favorites because of Instrumedley and since then I came to appreciate all their albums, including ToT.

After that, he thankfully went for a classic, tried-and-true analog keyboard sound, with a fabulous, melodic solo to match: the Moog solo on Octavarium, which is arguably his finest hour.

Since then, his playing has settled into a predictable, comfortable pattern, no big standout moments, some "wanky" parts, but overall he's solid and enjoyable all around. ADTOE is his strongest showing in the Mangini-era, but I'm quickly warming up to the latest album as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 08:19:51 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline HOF

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 10:38:45 AM »
Without giving this much thought or claiming this is necessary my favorite, I really like his synth solo on LTE’s 914.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 07:17:49 PM »
Kindred Spirits
Universal Mind (piano section)
This is the Life
Dystopian Overture (End)
Count of Tuscany (3:15)
Fatal Tragedy (shrink & grow section)

I really like it when he has more of a riff/melody going on, like the beginning of CoT or the main melody of Solitary Shell, or whenever he and JP do a lead harmony, but they wouldn't count if just looking at "solos".

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 07:48:08 PM »

Beneath the Surface. I prefer melody to musical madness.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 07:54:08 AM »
Hands down, the break in Blind Faith. Was mildly devastated (:biggrin:) when I saw them play it live and he decided to go feral instead of following the recording.

Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 08:27:22 AM »
Hands down, the break in Blind Faith. Was mildly devastated (:biggrin:) when I saw them play it live and he decided to go feral instead of following the recording.

I would have been crushed!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 02:40:19 PM »
Home
Octavarium