Author Topic: DREAM THEATER's JAMES LABRIE Says He Has No Relationship With MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 3241 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

(Not sure if this would be considered too... gossipy?  Or volatile/inflammatory a topic, so remove if so)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theaters-james-labrie-says-he-has-no-relationship-with-mike-portnoy/

ETA: The crux of the headline is pretty much the meat of things:

"LaBrie discussed his relationship with Portnoy in a new interview with Radio Forrest. He said: "I haven't spoken to Mike, to be quite honest, since he left the band. So I think that pretty much says it all."

But again, I wasn't sure if it would open any floodgates, etc.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
lol the article calls The Astonishing ‘controversial’
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline zappafrank2112

...which it was!

Offline Setlist Scotty

Wow! Big surprise!  ::)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Love how MP says it's up to them and the ball is in their court etc etc when he quit the band when he didnt get what he wanted and dissed the band in the press for ages afterwards.

Offline pg1067

Love how MP says it's up to them and the ball is in their court etc etc when he quit the band when he didnt get what he wanted and dissed the band in the press for ages afterwards.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jayvee3

Doesn't appear to be anything too crazy in there we wouldn't have already concluded, and I really do like how James addresses how important Mike Mangini is to the band in its current iteration. Nothing over the top or disrespectful from either party, while their feelings on the matter seem pretty well set in stone. It's the sort of thing some may overthink, but honestly, it seems on par with about what we could expect discussing the matter at this point.

Offline Mr.Mister

Leave it to BM to turn 23 words into a 728 words blog post :facepalm:

Offline AVFTTOTW

Portnoy and Labrie always had a shaky relationship.

On the other hand, as also evident by the recent LTE3, is that Portnoy and both Johns will always be teenage friends and still managed to retain friendship despite being out of contact also for many years.
Portnoy has no desire to go back to DT and probably won't have a reunion, but both Johns still have an interest in doing music together with him on the side, as with Rudess (henceforth LTE).
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
Blabbermouth really deserves its name.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
Don't worry James. Most people don't either.

Offline Setlist Scotty

That's not true. When JL first joined the band, I believe he was closest to MP. But obviously over time, relationships change so that later on they were not as close as originally.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
That makes sense. MP made some comments that could poison the water. Even after he left, I believe he made a comment during an interview about DT having 'annoying vocals' which I presume he would not say if he had any salvageable relationship with JLB.

Offline DTwwbwMP

:facepalm: :loser:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
"LaBrie discussed his relationship with Portnoy in a new interview with Radio Forrest. He said: "I haven't spoken to Mike, to be quite honest, since he left the band. So I think that pretty much says it all."

...which it was!

Typical Blabbermouth, slow news day. 

Offline gzarruk

In other news, water is wet. :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Is water still wet when it’s frozen? 🤔
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Fritzinger

On the other hand, as also evident by the recent LTE3, is that Portnoy and both Johns will always be teenage friends and still managed to retain friendship despite being out of contact also for many years.
Portnoy has no desire to go back to DT and probably won't have a reunion, but both Johns still have an interest in doing music together with him on the side, as with Rudess (henceforth LTE).

At least he says so. I believe if the guys in DT asked MP to come back, he would do it immediately.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Well, if there's truly some animosity between James and Mike P. I wouldn't really count on that.
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Not if it's dry ice.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Not if it's dry ice.

But dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide, which is decidedly not water.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
This is not news.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Garbage article with misleading headline.  They took a one-liner, bolstered it with quotes from YEARS ago, and turned all that into an agenda that doesn't really exist.  We shouldn't perpetuate that kind of gossip here.  Not sure why it was even posted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."