Poll

Which 4 parts do you prefer?

Overture-ATC-WIMH-TTTSTA
20 (26.7%)
GK-SS-ATC(R)-LT/GF
55 (73.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Which half of Six Degrees THE SONG do you prefer?  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Dream Team

Which half of Six Degrees THE SONG do you prefer?
« on: November 18, 2021, 07:23:15 AM »
From day 1 for me it has always been the portion starting from Goodnight Kiss; I've always felt that the 2 heavy songs are unnecessarily shoe-horned into an otherwise mellow song/suite.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 08:59:12 AM by Dream Team »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Which half of Six Degrees do you prefer?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 07:27:41 AM »
Goodnight Kiss, Sacrificed Sons, Answering The Call (Reprise)  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
Second half
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 07:38:00 AM »
Disc 1
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 07:40:12 AM »
Absolutely love Disc 1. I don't like the studio version of Disc 2 but I always get pumped when I listen to the RCMH version.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 07:45:49 AM »
Disc 1
Absolutely love Disc 1. I don't like the studio version of Disc 2 but I always get pumped when I listen to the RCMH version.

Well, I can tell who didn't read directions for exams when they were in school. :lol

As for the song SDOIT, I prefer the back half. "Solitary Shell" is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing and the finale is just really epic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 08:42:51 AM »
I did read the thread title and the OP, but I chose to be belligerent with my answer :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:21:35 AM »
At first I thought this was gonna be another disc 1/disc 2 debate.  I prefer the whole song actually.  Of course I have my favorite parts but I'm not choosing one half of the song over the other.  The poll needs a 3rd choice.

I did read the thread title and the OP, but I chose to be belligerent with my answer :biggrin:

Good on ya, mate.  The thread deserves a little belligerence.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »
What's next...which 2:05 segment of "Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage" do you like best?

That said, my favorite segments of SDOIT are the two ATC segments, and my least favorite is Goodnight Kiss.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »

:facepalm:

Wrong word, I meant to say something that doesn’t exist in English. The closest I can translate it is ‘annoying but in a fun/playful way’.
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 10:14:21 AM »

:facepalm:

Wrong word, I meant to say something that doesn’t exist in English. The closest I can translate it is ‘annoying but in a fun/playful way’.

This thread needs more Kotowboy :neverusethis:

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
I really hate Solitary Shell in the context of the whole song of SDOIT, but it's a great 'song' on it's own, particularly in the way it tackles the theme of the song.
The bass kick bit from the end of GK going into the upbeat acoustic guitar is extremely jarring for me (and I'm a fan of jarring music), I really hate that. I think this is also because SS has no precedent in the Overture, whereas GK is a development of a harmonic progression from the Overture.
Yet the second part of SS is great in how it leads into ATC reprise.

My favorite portion of the song though is the first half though (Overture through to GK).
GK is a powerful movement, especially in context of the previous movements even though the lyrics aren't strong (despite the theme being traumatic and convicting).

In fact with GK and SS, it'd be great if the ending of GK went straight into 3:46 of SS, tbh.

(I also wrote some notes here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56968.msg2828087#msg2828087)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 04:41:10 PM by AVFTTOTW »
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline NoFred

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2021, 05:13:51 PM »
About to Crash is top-tier DT to me. And I’ve always felt the Losing Time character’s part (degree?) is incomplete. So I’m in the first half camp.

That said, Overture is the only guaranteed skip in their catalog for me… just overlong and perfunctory

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2021, 12:06:50 AM »
First half.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2021, 07:29:52 AM »
From day 1 for me it has always been the portion starting from Goodnight Kiss; I've always felt that the 2 heavy songs are unnecessarily shoe-horned into an otherwise mellow song/suite.
This, but it's impossible to choose...
I love the overture and about to crash, and I love goodnight kiss to the end...Especially GK's solo which just splits me in halves !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2021, 08:22:32 AM »
Disc 1

Well, I can tell who didn't read directions for exams when they were in school. :lol

As for the song SDOIT, I prefer the back half. "Solitary Shell" is one of my favorite parts of the whole thing and the finale is just really epic.

-Marc.

:rollin :rollin

Then I prefer the 2nd half from GK onward. I prefer the classic DT prog sound. The first half, while I still enjoy it, it's a lot on the metal side.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2021, 08:29:04 AM »
Now that I think about it, why isn't the middle half (WIMH-TTTSTA-GK-SS) an option here?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »
The one without War Inside My Head and The Test That Stumped Them All.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2021, 03:30:46 PM »
There is something so powerful about 4:53 in About To Crash, even though we hear that theme at least 5 times throughout all the movements of SDOIT. It is the occurrence of this melody (in the form of guitar lead) that has the most emotional weight to me. In some ways it's even more stronger than the finale's use of the same melody.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2021, 03:36:58 PM »
I'm not huge fan of the song but when I listen to it, I ALWAYS skip the overture and jump right into ATC. From there I listen to about as much as I want before going to something else. Most of the time it's ATC-WIMH-TTTSTA-GK-SS. Sometimes I listen through to the end, sometimes I don't. Given that I never listen to the overture though, I just voted for the second half. At least that has a chance of being played.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 12:53:39 PM »
I never skip Overture.  It sets the tone for the rest of the song.  That would be like skipping the intro to any song. ???  Plus, it's a damn fine composition.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
Oh boy, I hate to be 'that' guy, but it's a top-5 album for me (all-time, all artists), so I'm gonna say both?  :justjen

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 06:40:28 PM »
I never skip Overture.  It sets the tone for the rest of the song.  That would be like skipping the intro to any song. ???  Plus, it's a damn fine composition.

There's a fine line when it comes to orchestral synth for me. When it's mixed with guitars, it's fine. On its own I find it way too cheesy. I can't say that Score version is perfect, by any means, but some "real" instruments would've done wonders for the album version.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 01:11:20 PM »
The first half contains the four best tracks ez choice
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
It’s 2nd half for me by a mile, apart from Goodnight Kiss which I don’t enjoy at all, not even the JP melodic soloing which I usually love.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »
Both