Poll

Which past Spider-Man villain are you looking forward to seeing again in this film?

Doctor Octopus
8 (34.8%)
Green Goblin
9 (39.1%)
Electro
0 (0%)
Sandman
2 (8.7%)
Lizard
1 (4.3%)
Surprise Cameo?
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home - Out NOW! Spoilers! No. 3 Domestic/No. 6 WW All-Time!  (Read 8660 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Finally saw this last night.  Holy shit.  The Spider-Man-est of all Spider-Man films.  There are none more Spider-Man than this.

They lived up to the hype, for sure.  Top 5 MCU film, easy.  Hats off to Andrew Garfield and Toby McGuire.

"You're in the Avengers?  That's great!  Who's that?"
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Melphina

What an absolutely mindblowing film that was.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Finally saw this last night.  Holy shit.  The Spider-Man-est of all Spider-Man films.  There are none more Spider-Man than this.

They lived up to the hype, for sure.  Top 5 MCU film, easy.  Hats off to Andrew Garfield and Toby McGuire.

"You're in the Avengers?  That's great!  Who's that?"

Seriously, those scenes of them 3 at the top of the Statue were great, that line really gave me a good laugh.

When Toby was mind blown that Tom had gone to space was also a funny one that I feel flew by too soon.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I mostly have to echo a lot of the comments already made.  May's death was heart-wrenching.  Garfield saving MJ was amazing - and Garfield's expression was perfect... the combination of elation that he saved MJ, and utter angst that he couldn't have done that for Gwen.

I wondered why they didn't de-age Toby at all, but get it now.... both him and Garfield Spider-Man had experienced the events of their movies, so they had to be pulled from their universe's at a different moments than the villains - the latter pulled the moment they discovered/realized Spidey was Peter, and the former pulled "current day" of Strange casting the spell.

Dafoe ... incredible, simply incredible - glad they got rid of the mask right off the bat.  Molina was fantastic in his reprisal.

Loved all the nods back to the Raimi movies.

The mid-credits scene was ok, but the end-credits trailer was off the charts.  I'm very stoked for MOM now.  Can't wait for the trailer to be officially released so I can re-watch it a few times.  Loved Strange's new goatee, and the stare-off with Strange Supreme.

VERY minor nits:
No explanation as to why Peter could control his physical body while in astral form?  I've seen the YT explanations, but thought they could've / should've done a better job of it in-movie.

Why no Wong?  The Sorcerer Supreme is just gonna take a vacation while the multiverse is cracking?

Just how does Spidey web-sling from Liberty Island back to the mainland?

Can't wait for this to come out on whatever streaming platform is gonna get it.  if not for the Omicron outbreak, I'd consider going to see it again in theatres.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
So something I saw in a review that I hadn't really considered before.

We never meet Ben in the Tom Holland movies and we just kind of assume the "origin story" happens before Civil War and we all know how it goes so we just assume and carry on. But by making Aunt May the new Uncle Ben, we essentially see that ALL of this up until now is essentially the new origin story. That prior to this, he was a proto Spider-Man and that at the end of this movie, we get our first glimpse of the full real Spider-Man. It's just an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Why no Wong?  The Sorcerer Supreme is just gonna take a vacation while the multiverse is cracking?
Based on how I understood the events, I don't think Wong knew what was happening. He was on the other side of the planet, he wouldn't have notice random villains showing up. And at the end, I guess we don't know to what extend those cracks showed in the sky, since it looked like it was very local to them.

Plus, Wong was very clear in telling Strange to keep him out of it  :P

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Wong was on vacation
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wong was on vacation

Sorcerer Supreme's should not get vacation.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I heard he tried to make it back to help but went the Wong way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Melphina

The Sorcerer Supreme can take a vacation whenever he wants. He helped save Earth from Thanos!  :lol

Offline Melphina

We never meet Ben in the Tom Holland movies and we just kind of assume the "origin story" happens before Civil War and we all know how it goes so we just assume and carry on. But by making Aunt May the new Uncle Ben, we essentially see that ALL of this up until now is essentially the new origin story. That prior to this, he was a proto Spider-Man and that at the end of this movie, we get our first glimpse of the full real Spider-Man. It's just an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered.

Especially with the Ditko outfit he makes and wears at the very end. SO COOL. I love everything about this trilogy being an origin story.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Wong was on vacation

I though Wong opened the portal and went to Shang Chi's city, I could be wrong, but I think that's how it will connect with that movie.

I am super stoked that they even recreated this:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
We went to see this a couple of nights ago. Really great stuff. The way they juggled the villains from the previous movies was excellent. Willem Dafoe IS the Green Goblin - he didn’t miss a beat.

The scenes with the 3 Spideys were brilliant. Each got their fair share of screen time, and the banter between them was spot on.

I know we love ranking things here, so my Spidey ranking is:

1. Maguire
2. Garfield
3. Holland

I don’t think this movie has changed that ranking at all, but I far prefer Tom Holland’s Spider-Man in this one compared to his first two. Maybe it’s better writing or whatever, but I think he’s definitely grown into the role.

Offline The Letter M

In Civil War, Peter says "look, when you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and THEN the bad things happen, they happen because of you", it was always implied that he was talking about losing Uncle Ben, and since we've seen that story twice on film and countless other times in other media, they didn't feel the need to shove it down our throats once more (looking at you BvS and Martha's pearls). Perhaps, when MCU Peter lost his uncle Ben, he didn't give him the "power and responsibility" line like his variant counterparts got, but we do know that Peter does have some sense of responsibility because you can see and hear his regret in his voice when he's talking to Tony about his experiences being Spider-Man for six months. He presumably got his powers sometime in the latter half of his Freshman year, I'd say around March or April 2016, given that Civil War takes place not too long before Homecoming, and most American homecoming dances occur around September or October. It would also make sense that the upcoming animated Disney+ show "Spider-Man: Freshman Year" would cover how Peter got his powers. Hopefully they don't retread the "Power/Responsibility" line with MCU Uncle Ben because it would kind of undercut the death of Aunt May, in my opinion, but I do think that Peter should be some how responsible for losing Ben in the same way that Raimi Peter and Webb Peter did, perhaps for not stopping a crime or letting a criminal go, who would end up killing Ben by chance. We also know from What If? that MCU Peter had an Uncle Ben (from the Zombies episode), so there is definitely a story to tell there.

Just heard this flick has the second biggest opening weekend ever, ahead of Infinity War and only behind Endgame.

Yeah, it's amazing that the top 3 Domestic Weekend Openers all have Benedict Cumberbatch, Benedict Wong, Tom Holland, and Jacob Batalon. But yeah, I can definitely see NWH breaking the billion dollar mark and being the highest grossing film of 2021 (which is currently a Chinese film that only got up to 900m, so even that didn't break a billion), especially by the end of its run in theaters (which will probably be til the end of January). I suspect the home video release will come by March, which I am eagerly awaiting cuz I want to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff for this film!

Based on how I understood the events, I don't think Wong knew what was happening. He was on the other side of the planet, he wouldn't have notice random villains showing up. And at the end, I guess we don't know to what extend those cracks showed in the sky, since it looked like it was very local to them.

Plus, Wong was very clear in telling Strange to keep him out of it  :P

Yeah, Wong just really didn't want to be a part of it all, but I think we will find out why he was going back to Kamar-Taj, especially with such huge suitcases as well. I also hope we finally find out why he's been sparring with Emil Blonsky, though I think we might find that out during the She-Hulk series as Abomination is set to appear in that show. It might also explain why Wong was able to get Bruce on the line to talk about the Ten Rings. Also, does this make Wong an Avenger now, considering his Sorcerer Supreme status and his contact with other Avengers? I would love to see him in a starring role in the next big Avengers team-up!

Wong was on vacation

I though Wong opened the portal and went to Shang Chi's city, I could be wrong, but I think that's how it will connect with that movie.
He was heading to Kamar-Taj, and I think we'll find out why in DSITMOM.

I am super stoked that they even recreated this:

They also did the pointing-bit in the high school science lab when Ned called out "Peter!" and all three looked at each other and pointed to each other saying they're all named Peter, and that saying "Peter Parker" still didn't help.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
One of the big props I gotta give them for this movie is solving a lot of my issues with Tom Holland Spider-Man in 1 movie. Before this I felt he had too much outside help, there were no consequences to him messing up and I didn't get a strong sense of the character suffering in order to help others. This movie did really well in that area IMO. Where we leave off is actually very exciting IMO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I'll have to see this movie again to get a full grip on it. Some things were disappointing to me because I wanted them to play out differently, but seeing it a second time could change that. Kinda like how I judge new music too early, and then it clicks after a few listens. I really enjoyed the movie. Like really. But I'm gonna watch it again before I give my thoughts.

Offline jammindude

Just got done seeing the movie. I have not read the thread yet. But I absolutely loved it!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Saw this today.  It was pretty great.  I'd heard that the bad guys from the previous films were all in it, but last I heard, Garfield was denying that he was in it (liar!) and I hadn't heard anything about Maguire.  So when they showed up as well, that was a surprise.  I was also unspoiled regarding Matt Murdock, so that was cool.  He caught that brick because "I'm a very good lawyer".  Uh... yeah, okay.  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
So, a funny, not funny story.

Kim K. posted spoilers on her Instagram and people were upset. One thing I would say, I never thought that "only in theaters" also included rich's people home theaters. But I guess if you have the money, you can find a way to get to movie to your home.

https://www.newsweek.com/kim-kardashian-ruined-spider-man-no-way-home-people-upset-spoilers-1663609

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
If I were really cynical and obnoxious, I'd say that people who give even half a shit about Kim Karsdashian deserve it.  But I won't say that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Just got tix to see it in IMAX tonight, really stoked to check it out a second time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Think it was even more fun the second time, and still had a good amount of cheers in the theater into its second week.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Think it was even more fun the second time, and still had a good amount of cheers in the theater into its second week.
I REALLY want to see it again in theaters. I might wait until the second week of January when theaters should be a lot more empty.

So, with Daredevil and Kingpin making an appearance, do we think we will see them again with bigger roles, or these were just quick cameos and done?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I REALLY want to see it again in theaters. I might wait until the second week of January when theaters should be a lot more empty.

So, with Daredevil and Kingpin making an appearance, do we think we will see them again with bigger roles, or these were just quick cameos and done?

The former.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

The former.

Otherwise it would be way too much of a Cox tease...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oy vey

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
 :biggrin:

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:29:09 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ok, Spidey Film Rankings...

1- Into the Spider-Verse
2- No Way Home
3- Spider-Man 2
4- Homecoming
5- Spider-Man
6- Far From Home
7- Spider-Man
8- The Amazing Spider-Man
9- The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man: No Way Home
4. Into the Spider-Verse
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Far From Home
7. Homecoming
8. The Amazing Spider-Man
9. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Offline The Letter M

Oh, we ranking?? Let's rank!!

Spider-Man: No Way Home
Spider-Man 2
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Also, as stated in the updated thread title, Spider-Man: No Way Home is now 12th highest grossing film of ALL-TIME World Wide (and that's WITHOUT opening in China, and is only the 2nd film to break a billion with no Chinese box office, the first being Joker), and it's also the 10th highest grossing film of all-time Domestically.

For All-Time Worldwide, it sits just between Avengers: Age Of Ultron and Black Panther, though if it continues to make decent numbers over the next couple of weeks, it could pass Age Of Ultron and Frozen II and become 10th worldwide.

As far as Sony's Spider-Man franchise, it is now the 4th highest grossing film franchise (including the 9 Spider-Man films above, as well as Venom and its sequel), just a bit under $165,000,000 from overtaking the Wizarding World for 3rd highest grossing film franchise, though that might bounce back once the third Fantastic Beasts film releases. It won't stay third for too long though, as Sony has Morbius coming out this month, then two more Spider-Verse films over the next 2 years, as well as Kraven The Hunter in 2023, so by the end of 2023, it will likely be the 3rd highest grossing film franchise of all time, though depending on how well those films do at the box office (and I predict the two Spider-Verse films will do REALLY well), it could overtake Star Wars for the 2nd highest grossing film franchise (which currently sits at $10 billion, and it doesn't seem like we will get any more SW films in the near future as all of their projects are Disney+ shows).

Let's hope Sony doesn't mess things up over the next few years! Do I have faith in Morbius and Kraven? Ehhhh...not really, but we will see. I think if they shoe-horn in the Amazing Spider-Man into the Venomverse and have those two fight (so Andrew Garfield can finally fight an alien), and do a sort of Venom 3/TASM3 crossover film, I think that might do super well. I really think Sony could do multiple Spider-Men theatrically and people would be fine with it, especially given the reception that NWH has been getting.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Melphina

No Way Home
Far From Home
Spiderverse
Spidey 2
Homecoming
Amazing 2
Spidey 1
Amazing 1
Spidey 3

Roughly. The middle 3 are pretty much equal in my mind, for different reasons (Tobey's Parker is the weakest, and I love Garfield as Parker, for example).

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
No Way Home
Spider-Man 2
Homecoming
Spider-Man
Far From Home

Spider-Man 3

I haven't sat through either of the Garfield films completely.

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Finally saw this last night. Feels like another first for the MCU in pulling together those guys from other iterations.

My favourite moments were Peter/MJ/May/Strange/Ned, of course.

Nice to see Tobey Maguire and the other Raimi characters.

I don't remember the Andrew Garfield films well. My memory of them is not positive but he was good in this. (He did remind me of John-Ralphio from Parks and Recreation, though, and that was hard to shake once I had felt it)
Jamie Foxx was cool but Sandman and Lizard were crappy on their first outing and I wasn't remotely interested in seeing them again here, tbh. They also mainly both looked "visually unappealing" to me. (Polite way of saying it)

Impressively hard reset by the end. That café scene was sooo good. The chemistry was amazing. Left me wondering what's next for Spidey and Tom Holland.

EDIT: Random chuckle. Coming straight after Hawkeye, there's a big billboard for Rogers: The Musical in the opening scenes of the city.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:00:44 PM by DoctorAction »
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Finally Sitting down now with the two oldest sons in the Dreamliner recliners. 8:30 start.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind