Poll

Which past Spider-Man villain are you looking forward to seeing again in this film?

Doctor Octopus
8 (34.8%)
Green Goblin
9 (39.1%)
Electro
0 (0%)
Sandman
2 (8.7%)
Lizard
1 (4.3%)
Surprise Cameo?
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Spider-Man: No Way Home - Out NOW! Spoilers! No. 3 Domestic/No. 6 WW All-Time!  (Read 8816 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
McGuire was a fantastic Parker, albeit about 10 years too old, visibly.

Garfield was a fantastic Spider-Man and a non-believable Parker.

Tom Holland is aces at both.

Agree on the last point.

My opinion on the former two is precisely the opposite of yours.  Garfield's Spidey was a douche-waffle ... he was as bad as Toby's emo-Peter from SM3.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online The Letter M

I watched the Webb Duology today and it was... OK. There were parts I still liked, but I would still take the lesser 2 Raimi films over the 2 Webb films any day. I really enjoyed Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy, as I did back in 2012 and 2014, and the Lizard was really cool, but there wasn't much else that really wowed me about these two films. Andrew Garfield was OK, and definitely played up the teenage attitude a bit more than Tobey did, but he still looked too old for being a high schooler.

I've got work over the next two days, but I'll try and squeeze in a rewatch of Homecoming somewhere, and then hopefully Far From Home directly before seeing NHW, which will literally be picking up right from the end of FFH.

As a warning, the film has been seen in Hollywood and media reviews will be shared tomorrow, so tread the internet carefully over the next few days! Spoilers are bound to appear out of nowhere, so hopefully no one drops anything too egregious.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - No Actual Film Spoilers til Friday please!!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 07:52:38 AM »
Yeah, Ima gonna have to go off FB and YT until Monday, as the jingle.kids and I aren't heading to it until mid-day Monday.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 07:55:32 AM »
Yeah, Ima gonna have to go off FB and YT until Monday, as the jingle.kids and I aren't heading to it until mid-day Monday.

It sucks, right? The "CLICK ME CLICK ME" culture we live in means people will be posting every spoiler possible as soon as they as possibly can, which really sucks for everyone except them.

The critics are usually good at not leaking things, so I'm gonna be okay today and maybe tomorrow, but Thursday is off limits. Luckily I'm seeing it Friday, so I don't have to avoid it for too long.

Also, you're not seeing it till Monday? Looks like you're gonna have to avoid your PMs as well then. MWAHAHAHAHAHA
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 07:59:54 AM »
Yeah... the theater is crazy sold out all weekend.  With Omicron cases doubling every couple of days, I can take a pass until Monday when it's at least a little less busy.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »

It sucks, right? The "CLICK ME CLICK ME" culture we live in means people will be posting every spoiler possible as soon as they as possibly can, which really sucks for everyone except them.

The critics are usually good at not leaking things, so I'm gonna be okay today and maybe tomorrow, but Thursday is off limits. Luckily I'm seeing it Friday, so I don't have to avoid it for too long.

Also, you're not seeing it till Monday? Looks like you're gonna have to avoid your PMs as well then. MWAHAHAHAHAHA

And text messages.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »

And text messages.

Don't make me block you!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2021, 06:54:37 AM »
Just saying goodbye to this thread till Friday night.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2021, 06:57:54 AM »
I have really high hopes for this movie, and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I was hoping to go in with no expectations, and that didn't work out  :corn I'm ready!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online The Letter M

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
Currently watching Far From Home, and I watched Homecoming yesterday morning. I am gonna be SO ready for 3pm later today!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2021, 11:57:09 AM »
Just came home from the theater, I've been literally blown away by this film, I think right now, it has become my number 1 film of the entire MCU saga.

From start to finish I was on the edge of my seat biting my nails, super acting and story. Really well done!

I WILL COMMENT DEEPLY ON SATURDAY!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2021, 08:33:07 PM »
It's been about 4.5 hours since I've seen it and I still have so many emotions about it. With regards to comic book films, I've only felt this way about two other films: Avengers Endgame and Logan, and this sits somewhere between those two in terms of the range of emotions I had while watching NWH. I am definitely going to see it again this weekend!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

It's the official first release day, though I know some of us caught it yesterday. From here on, if you would like to share SPOILERS, you can, as I've updated the subject/thread title to reflect spoilers within the thread!

All I'll say for now is that, despite the leaks and rumors, I still wasn't prepared to see what I saw and it all felt so natural and directed so well. Watts did an spectacular job, and Zendaya (and her chemistry with Tom) was a standout performance. I also loved the musical cues being brought back for many of the characters!

-Marc.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
I just about teared up when you-know-who caught you-know-who.

Incredible performances from everyone in this movie.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online The Letter M

Incredible performances from everyone in this movie.

That was definitely an emotional highlight for me. Actually, from the condo to the end was just full of emotional moments for me, full of sadness AND joy, and every single person in those scenes acted the hell out of their parts. Jon Watts really knew how to work each character on this film, especially all of the ones that have come back from the Raimi and Webb films, and dare I say, perhaps their performances in this film might eclipse their parts in their original films (Jamie Foxx most definitely, though Molina and Dafoe really put in some amazing performances themselves, the latter really stealing the scenes he was in, at least for me).

I'm thinking of going to see it again tomorrow afternoon! Heck, I may even see it THREE times, it's definitely worth it!

-Marc.

Online Adami

That. Was. Amazing.

I’ll go into more later, but good lord did they really knock this one out of the park. And I went in skeptical.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Andrew Garfield deserves an Oscar for best acting performance hiding his involvement on this movie in recent interviews.   :rollin

I went today and saw it again, it was more fun this second time. Man, what a movie! Defoe steals it on it. He was born to be the green goblin.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Well that fucking ruled. Ambition idea and fantastic execution

Oh man, that scene landed *so* well. Made me really glad that I did a rewatch of the older movies because I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That. Was. Amazing.

I’ll go into more later, but good lord did they really knock this one out of the park. And I went in skeptical.

Yeah, I went in skeptical as well, and just kept shaking my head at how well done it was.  During that whole final scene with May, I was very unsettled, knowing she was obviously not right.  But there were no visible wounds, and I was hoping it would somehow be fine.  ...until she said the "with great power" line.  As soon as she started, I was like, "she is going to die right now."  Just about lost it. 

I am also blown away by how, somehow, the feel/tone of all three Spiderman franchises was present, and it still somehow worked seamlessly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I'm absolutely fucking speechless. Can't believe they pulled it off.

Dude next to me in the theater just screamed REDEMPTION!!!!  :lol

Agree with others that Zendaya was beyond outstanding, she's really setting herself up to be the big money actress of the next generation, and deservedly so.

I think the last scene in the coffee shop was the most emotional for me, as Peter resigns himself to not having what he most desires to keep them safe. Just brutally selfless.

Forgot how amazing it is to see one of these in a hyped crowd of fans on opening weekend. The crowd went so apeshit when the others showed up, and even moreso when they all took flight together. Probably as loud as when Cap got Miljonir or when Thor arrived on Wakanda. I fucking love that shit so much.

I'll probably catch it again Sun or Mon in IMAX, just saw it regular tonight cause IMAX was way too late.

Also... It says a lot that by the end of the movie, I had totally forgotten that Matt Murdoch was in the beginning.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:27:45 AM by lonestar »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Also...does the ending mean that everyone forgets Ned is a wizard now?

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Also...does the ending mean that everyone forgets Ned is a wizard now?

Pretty much! Plus he doesnt have the ring anymore (for now)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Holy cow :hefdaddy

Online The Letter M

Saw it for a second time today, and I gotta say, even knowing what happens going in, it just makes it better, especially knowing to look out for Easter eggs this time around.

This is the first film I've seen in theaters twice since Endgame (as far as I can recall), and it's totally worth seeing twice. Heck, I may see it again in a couple weeks cuz Regal has Tuesday Value days where tickets are all 6.25 +tax!

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, I watched an easter egg vid on YT this morning, since I'm too slow to catch them all, and can't wait for a second go. Maybe this time I won't cry like a bitch when Mae dies.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Surprised no one has commented on the Dr. stranger teaser at the end, which looked fantastic.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on this movie, but it was way better than my already high expectations. Top tier MCU, and I agree that for all the different characters and 3 Spider-Man franchises, it all worked so well.

Online Adami

This movie really blew me away, definitely in my top 5 or so MCU films, which I did not expect at all.

I'm glad Strange was used sparingly, and that this was a real Spider-Man movie focusing on him and his pathos and lore.

The audience going nuts for Murdock, the returning villains, and obviously the other Peter's was so fun to be around, though the inclusion of other moments such as "I figured you'd be black" or "I'm something of a scientist myself" were nice touches.

Yes, May dying broke my heart and I did not expect it. And I also got really emotional when Garfield saved MJ. Such a beautiful moment that he played so well. Honestly, the script was just so damn good and so were the actors. I even loved the little things like Garfield doing this like slingshot move that only his Spider-Man did in the solo films. Just really well attended script.

Tons of thoughts, but most of them have been said.

Though the first post-credits scene confused me a bit. So Venom was briefly in the MCU but now isn't........but what about Morbius? Keaton is in that movie, but he also mentions Venom, so I'm just lost.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
There was a piece of venom that stayed in the MCU from that post credit scene, which I'm assuming will introduce a venom in the MCU (maybe a different actor?)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Alright, I have some time to put my thoughts down.

The good:

- This script was executed almost to perfection. It stayed true to the previous MCU Spidey movies, while also bringing in new elements from the others. The characters and the acting were great.
- Talking about the script, this movie had the one thing I love the most about the MCU. Even if the execution was great, it did not take itself too serious and knew when to scale things down. Everything felt organic, from the emotional scenes, to the funny ones, to the surprise ones. Just a good mix of story and comedy.
- The way those villains played their roles again was great, but Dafoe did such an amazing job with Green goblin. It was better than the original Spiderman (IMO). It was also fitting that he was the last villain standing, given what happened to Aunt May and that he was the first villain in a spider movie.

The Bad:

- The one thing I did not like (and this is just me nitpicking at this point) was how easy it was for Ned to learn how to open a portal (though he struggle to close them at the end).

Some "Bigger picture" thoughts.

- I know that there is at least 1 more movie where Tom Holland will play Spiderman in the MCU (based on contract, if I'm not mistaken), but I honestly wish this was it. It was such a great conclusion to his story, and a clever way of writing him out. Bringing him back, even if for 1 movie, would kind of undo what No Way Home set out to do. I'm sure that whatever they do will work out, but just my thoughts.
- A thought/question I had towards the end was, who actually messed up the multiverse, Loki or Strange? Both pretty much messed up wth the timelines, and even if what Loki did occurred outside of time itself, it could be that it was amplified by Dr. Strange spell, or the other way around. In the teaser trailer at the end, we saw Strange in what looked like Kang's sanctuary, so I guess we will need to wait and see.

Overall, 9.5/10 for this movie. Would put it at my top 3 just behind Infinity War and Endgame. I'll probably watch it again (maybe on Friday morning since I'm off work).

Online The Letter M

Surprised no one has commented on the Dr. stranger teaser at the end, which looked fantastic.

Oh, well it was definitely a semi-surprise for me. I had heard that the trailer had leaked a couple days prior to NWH's release, so I thought it would've been attached to the front of the film but when I didn't see it there, I figured it was at the end, a la the Avengers trailer seen at the end of Captain America: The First Avenger. Seeing Gargantos (not to be confused with Shuma-Gorath) for a brief second was mind-blowing. Like, I know we have aliens in the MCU, but seeing tentacle demons is a bit wild to me, but I'm ready for it. I'm enjoying that a lot of Phase 4 is about team-ups rather than strictly solo films, and seeing Wanda and America Chavez show up in this film will amplify my excitement for it even more.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on this movie, but it was way better than my already high expectations. Top tier MCU, and I agree that for all the different characters and 3 Spider-Man franchises, it all worked so well.

Agreed - this was a once-in-a-lifetime alignment of the stars, literally and figuratively. Something like this couldn't have been done before now, and I doubt something like this could have been done after now.

After Endgame, the cosmic stakes of the MCU have risen, and with this year's introduction into multiversal shenanigans with Loki and What If? have set up NWH's premise fairly reasonably, especially after the multiversal-fake-out we had in FFH with Mysterio's back story. And it's pretty genius that they managed to rework both NWH and DSITMOM after their release positions were swapped (because IIRC, Strange's sequel was supposed to come out BEFORE Spider-Man NWH), and so it all seems to fit together so nicely.

Though the first post-credits scene confused me a bit. So Venom was briefly in the MCU but now isn't........but what about Morbius? Keaton is in that movie, but he also mentions Venom, so I'm just lost.
There was a piece of venom that stayed in the MCU from that post credit scene, which I'm assuming will introduce a venom in the MCU (maybe a different actor?)

I've read/heard that this was Marvel Studios' way of saying to Sony "Oh, you wanted Venom in the MCU? Sure, but we're sending him back to you ASAP, but let us have a bit of his symbiote before he goes." I think it's a fun tease for future possibilities. I think if the MCU is headed towards the Secret Wars (because that would be an amazing way to feature the Fantastic Four and the X-Men as well), I think we could see Spider-Man get his black suit then, and we can finally get a comic-accurate black-suit Spider-Man in the MCU, but that might not be for a few more years, and I'd like to see Peter get one solo film in before the next big crossover event.

Does this mean we won't see Tom Holland face off against Tom Hardy? Ehhh, who knows at this point. Even though Feige and Pascal seem to be very buddy-buddy still, I'm always a bit worried that things could still fall apart at any time, especially given how open-ended NWH left things, given that no one in the MCU remembers Peter Parker, only that Spider-Man exists, so Peter's connections are all gone and he could be very detached from the MCU for a while. I am hopeful that there will be another trilogy set WITHIN the MCU, and that we eventually get MCU Miles Morales, maybe even Spider-Gwen, and see what else Sony/Marvel Studios can do.

Honestly, if Sony were smart, other than Venom, they would let Marvel Studios help them with all of their future Marvel films, like Kraven, Black Cat, Silver Sable, etc., just so they can be included in the MCU (especially given that Netflix heroes like Daredevil are now on the table, Spider-Man's allies/enemies are often similar ground-level characters like the Netflix heroes).

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

Alright, I have some time to put my thoughts down.

The good:

- This script was executed almost to perfection. It stayed true to the previous MCU Spidey movies, while also bringing in new elements from the others. The characters and the acting were great.
- Talking about the script, this movie had the one thing I love the most about the MCU. Even if the execution was great, it did not take itself too serious and knew when to scale things down. Everything felt organic, from the emotional scenes, to the funny ones, to the surprise ones. Just a good mix of story and comedy.
- The way those villains played their roles again was great, but Dafoe did such an amazing job with Green goblin. It was better than the original Spiderman (IMO). It was also fitting that he was the last villain standing, given what happened to Aunt May and that he was the first villain in a spider movie.

Agreed about Dafoe, his Goblin was taken to a whole 'nother level in this film, and not having the mask on the entire time helped with that. Dafoe's face is LITERALLY the Green Goblin (sans the green skin), so seeing him get to emote the Goblin's face just made him that much scarier and creepier, especially with his wide grin while being beat down by Spider-Man.
The script was really well written and expertly executed, so the pacing of the film was quite smooth. Even upon 2nd viewing, I didn't feel like there were many lulls or pacing issues. If there were any slower/weaker moments, they were in the first act, whereas you usually see those sorts of lulls in the second act, this film started at a jogging pace, and then kept getting faster and faster to a sprint by the end, and I was happy with that.

The Bad:

- The one thing I did not like (and this is just me nitpicking at this point) was how easy it was for Ned to learn how to open a portal (though he struggle to close them at the end).

I've seen this critique go around a lot, but I think if they explore this issue in future films, then I won't mind how easy it was for him to sort out how to use the sling ring. Maybe some people/families/blood-lines are more perceptive to the mystic arts than others. Ned seemed to believe his family had magic in them, whereas Strange was a medical skeptic, so he struggled to learn at the start because of his beliefs. Perhaps it's all in the mind and heart?

Some "Bigger picture" thoughts.

- I know that there is at least 1 more movie where Tom Holland will play Spiderman in the MCU (based on contract, if I'm not mistaken), but I honestly wish this was it. It was such a great conclusion to his story, and a clever way of writing him out. Bringing him back, even if for 1 movie, would kind of undo what No Way Home set out to do. I'm sure that whatever they do will work out, but just my thoughts.

Currently speaking, yes, Tom Holland is set to play Spider-Man in at least 1 more MCU team-up film, and I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't Fantastic Four, which will be directed by Jon Watts as well. The FF and Spider-Man are well acquainted in the comics, so I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man shows up in the first FF film. But yeah, NWH kind of gave Peter Parker a fresh start in the MCU, especially with the final shots of him swinging, it felt like closing the book on this part of his story, but it definitely felt like starting a new book as well. This was the end of the Home-Trilogy after all, so it's nice that they made it sort of self-contained, kind of like the Iron Man trilogy, but definitely less like the Captain America and Thor trilogies (the latter of which won't be a trilogy for very long).

- A thought/question I had towards the end was, who actually messed up the multiverse, Loki or Strange? Both pretty much messed up wth the timelines, and even if what Loki did occurred outside of time itself, it could be that it was amplified by Dr. Strange spell, or the other way around. In the teaser trailer at the end, we saw Strange in what looked like Kang's sanctuary, so I guess we will need to wait and see.

Given that the events of Loki occur outside of space-time, the breaking of the timeline could occur at any point that is necessary for the story. Heck, it could have ALWAYS been that way, considering how What If? begins with the Watcher observing alternate timelines for what seems like an eternity. Perhaps the timeline has always been messed up and we're just now seeing it because of Loki, which is why there hasn't been any TVA interference in the MCU films. I do think we will see some of the effects of Loki in DSITMOM, which just finished reshoots recently, hopefully to include some references to Loki/Sylvie and He Who Remains.

Overall, 9.5/10 for this movie. Would put it at my top 3 just behind Infinity War and Endgame. I'll probably watch it again (maybe on Friday morning since I'm off work).

For me, it's ranked fourth behind Endgame, Infinity War, and the first Avengers, and just above Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, and Thor: Ragnarok in my S-Tier MCU films.

-Marc.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I think Dafoe would've stolen the film if the other actors weren't equally strong. Great ensemble performance.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just saw it yesterday. Definitely top 5 (at least).  I got a few things to comment on, and will do so later after I reflect with it on my 2nd cup of coffee.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Just saw it yesterday. Definitely top 5 (at least).  I got a few things to comment on, and will do so later after I reflect with it on my 2nd cup of coffee.

:corn

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Just heard this flick has the second biggest opening weekend ever, ahead of Infinity War and only behind Endgame.