Author Topic: The Dance Of Eternity - SO close to perfect  (Read 2836 times)

Offline MrMike

The Dance Of Eternity - SO close to perfect
« on: November 13, 2021, 05:17:35 PM »
I was surprised to see there's no dedicated thread for TDOE.  Or at least none that I could find.

If I had to make a desert island DT disc with only 10 tracks, this would likely be one of them.  Such a kickass composition with 4 brilliant musicians totally locked in with each other.

I can only give it a 9/10 though.  There's one bit from about 4:43 to 5:13 that leaves me baffled and not in a good way.  I get that DT is about sometimes taking musical detours that you might not expect, but I have no idea why they thought this one was a good idea.  It seems so pedestrian by their usual standards and practically brings the song to a screeching halt.  Fortunately, they pick up the pace again soon after and end with another flurry of awesomeness.

Anyway, that one little bit frustrates me because the rest of the song is close to perfection.  2:16 - 5:37 is pure bliss, maybe my favorite 30 seconds of recorded music that I've ever heard.  Side note: I really love when Jordan plays straight piano in that ragtime style.

Where do others rank TDOE in the list of DT instrumentals?  I think because of that one out-of-place doodle that I can't stand, I have to put Overture 1928 just ahead of it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 05:32:11 PM by MrMike »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The Dance Of Eternity - SO close to perfect
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 05:37:06 PM »
So, why would the Dance of Eternity be on your ‘desert island disc’, but not Overture 1928?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 425

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 05:45:27 PM »
4:43-5:13 is actually one of my favorite parts of The Dance of Eternity. I think it's good to have a break like that in the song, too.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2021, 05:50:08 PM »
It is a fun listen. The guys havong fun playing the Metropolis Pt 1 instrumental on steroids. But preciselt because it is just an amped up version of a previous work, I place it below more original compositions like Hell's Kitchen and Erotomania.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
I said Dance would "likely" be on the desert island disc because it'd be hard to pick only 10 DT songs to listen to for the rest of your life and I'd want to think about it. 

Even though I think Overture flows better from start to finish, Dance is longer and contains individual segments that I might like more than any single part of Overture.  They're so similar that I probably wouldn't use 2 spots for only 10 forever tracks.  So Overture OR Dance would be on it, maybe that's what I should have said.

Offline MrMike

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2021, 06:05:02 PM »
4:43-5:13 is actually one of my favorite parts of The Dance of Eternity. I think it's good to have a break like that in the song, too.

That's cool.  Although I would've left it out, I can understand them wanting to add a little more variety to fill out the song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2021, 06:06:13 PM »
I'm so glad they played that TDOE and One Last Time at my BC&SL show. We were front row dead center and it was amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
One of my least favorite DT songs. Fun to watch live though!

I remember when the MM audition documentary came out, someone on this board said, "He played the opening snare with one hand? What a dick!" :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2021, 11:33:49 PM »
There's one bit from about 4:43 to 5:13 that leaves me baffled and not in a good way.

Anyway, that one little bit frustrates me because the rest of the song is close to perfection.  2:16 - 5:37 is pure bliss, maybe my favorite 30 seconds of recorded music that I've ever heard.

Now, this is a strange point of view, I would say. The piece that leaves you baffled and disapointed, is also included in your pure-bliss highs?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline LKap13

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2021, 09:37:36 AM »
I see nothing wrong with 4:43. Very interesting to hear you say that

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »
Now i need to listen to this section.

...Oh yes THAT section. I always thought it stopped the momentum.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 11:58:10 AM »
My favorite Dream Theater instrumental and in my top 10 DT songs overall. It’s just fun to listen to.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MrMike

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »
There's one bit from about 4:43 to 5:13 that leaves me baffled and not in a good way.

Anyway, that one little bit frustrates me because the rest of the song is close to perfection.  2:16 - 5:37 is pure bliss, maybe my favorite 30 seconds of recorded music that I've ever heard.

Now, this is a strange point of view, I would say. The piece that leaves you baffled and disapointed, is also included in your pure-bliss highs?

Oops, that was a typo.  2:16 - 2:47 is the bliss jam I was referring to.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2021, 07:15:56 PM »
It's a cool song and a great addition to the catalog, but I rarely, if ever, desire to listen to it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2021, 10:26:57 AM »
So, why would the Dance of Eternity be on your ‘desert island disc’, but not Overture 1928?
Probably because he like TDOE much more than he likes O1928.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »

Well, he says otherwise in the last sentence.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »

Well, he says otherwise in the last sentence.
Ah.

At any rate, he doesn't say that O1928 wouldn't be on his desert island disc.  It's just a thread about DOE.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
You’re right there :)
Squ

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »
The thread title should be changed to:  The Dance of Eternity - SO close to perfect, but Overture 1928 is closer. ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 04:55:40 PM »
My word this is a weird thread… ;D

Offline MrMike

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 06:03:50 PM »
All I meant to say when I started the thread was that I love TDOE except for that one brief noodle and wondered if anyone else also thought that part didn't seem to fit with the rest of the song.  Sorry if I muddied the topic with my other comments.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »
Sorry if I muddied the topic with my other comments.

You didn't.  Sometimes, people can be obsessively pedantic and completely miss the point of what is being said because they fixate on little details that ultimately aren't that important.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."