Author Topic: Is DT truly "uninspired?"  (Read 10366 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: Is DT truly "uninspired?"
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2021, 01:00:19 PM »
Something that's been bugging me. Does anyone know which Rush song in particular that Looking Glass or Transcending Time are supposed to be reminiscent of? I get a major key upbeat cheery 80s vibe, but that's about it.

If someone could provide me of an actual example of x part from Looking Glass/Transcending Time sounds like y part from [insert Rush tune here] it would be extremely helpful in understanding why/how people can make these comparisons. Again, please cite specific examples... I always hear claims of those songs essentially being Rush songs but frankly..I don't hear it.

According to RoeDent, it's "every Rush song ever".

But the only similarity I noticed was the beginning of The Looking Glass sounds a bit like the beginning of Limelight.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Lupton

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »
Something that's been bugging me. Does anyone know which Rush song in particular that Looking Glass or Transcending Time are supposed to be reminiscent of? I get a major key upbeat cheery 80s vibe, but that's about it.

If someone could provide me of an actual example of x part from Looking Glass/Transcending Time sounds like y part from [insert Rush tune here] it would be extremely helpful in understanding why/how people can make these comparisons. Again, please cite specific examples... I always hear claims of those songs essentially being Rush songs but frankly..I don't hear it.

According to RoeDent, it's "every Rush song ever".

But the only similarity I noticed was the beginning of The Looking Glass sounds a bit like the beginning of Limelight.

OK. I can sort of see that. It's a stretch but at least it's something. Thanks for the feedback.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »
Yeah, The Looking Glass riff sounds like JP took the Limelight riff and bent it into a pretzel and then played it.  It is not an exact replica, but it's close enough to where the similarity is pretty evident, IMO.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2021, 01:04:48 PM »
Yeah, The Looking Glass riff sounds like JP took the Limelight riff and bent it into a pretzel and then played it.  It is not an exact replica, but it's close enough to where the similarity is pretty evident, IMO.

How about Transcending Time?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2021, 01:05:54 PM »

No clue.  I guess that falls under the "something Rush would have done" banner more than sounding like a specific Rush song.

Online Lupton

« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »

Using pretzel logic I see.  ;)

I guess my ears just suck, because I barely hear the similarity. Good job JP and well played.  :metal

Online Lupton

« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
I'd probably compare Transcending Time to A Living Island off the new Yes record before I'd compare to Rush because it sounds like it's got (more or less?) the same chord progression.  That spot where it goes all piano you could basically put Davidson's vocal melody from that tune right over it.

[edit: I'd bet they're probably in different keys. That's where my shitty tone deafness comes into play!  :lol ]

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2021, 01:52:21 PM »
I'd probably compare Transcending Time to A Living Island off the new Yes record before I'd compare to Rush because it sounds like it's got (more or less?) the same chord progression.  That spot where it goes all piano you could basically put Davidson's vocal melody from that tune right over it.

[edit: I'd bet they're probably in different keys. That's where my shitty tone deafness comes into play!  :lol ]

I guess the beginning sounds a bit Rush-like.

Online Lupton

« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
OK. I was able to think of one on my own. The chorus in Looking Glass, from where JL sings "you are caught up in the gravity". That transition and onward is reminiscent to the way Mission (of Hold Your Fire) goes into the "spirits fly on dangerous missions" section. And then the way both tunes become more powerful and fuller going forward at: "you live without shame" in LG and "In the grip of a nameless possession" in Mission. So the way their respective choruses peak have similar structure. Similar gait and tempo too right?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »
OK. I was able to think of one on my own. The chorus in Looking Glass, from where JL sings "you are caught up in the gravity". That transition and onward is reminiscent to the way Mission (of Hold Your Fire) goes into the "spirits fly on dangerous missions" section. And then the way both tunes become more powerful and fuller going forward at: "you live without shame" in LG and "In the grip of a nameless possession" in Mission. So the way their respective choruses peak have similar structure. Similar gait and tempo too right?
Good call, I like those similarities.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #115 on: November 13, 2021, 04:02:05 PM »
Transcending Time is the first vocal line and the music behind it being calm and atmospheric....

"My Uncle has a country place that no one knows about..."

"Drifting in a far off place, I roam the countryside"

The structure of the verse here is similar to the verse of Red Barchetta.

But this happens naturally with the band because they are influenced by Rush. Similar to how I can hear Iron Maiden in the UFO song Love to Love.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #116 on: November 13, 2021, 04:18:46 PM »
Transcending Time is the first vocal line and the music behind it being calm and atmospheric....

But this happens naturally with the band because they are influenced by Rush. Similar to how I can hear Iron Maiden in the UFO song Love to Love.

good catch here. I felt reminded of Red Barchetta instantly but couldn't put my finger on why. That lyric-- and other things, I am sure-- is certainly reminiscent.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »

good catch here. I felt reminded of Red Barchetta instantly but couldn't put my finger on why. That lyric-- and other things, I am sure-- is certainly reminiscent.

That's the only part that really reminds me of Rush. I don't mind it because it's used perfectly in both songs. Then Transcending Time goes into more happier prog band territory blending the happy Rush with Kansas and Styx.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2021, 09:55:42 PM »

The recurring guitar melody which first comes in after James sings "like dreaming wide awake!" sounds like the guitar melody in Xanadu, although at a different octave.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2021, 04:13:56 AM »
Can't we just say the songs (The Looking Glass, Barstool Warrior, Transcending Time etc.) sound like they were influenced by Rush, rather than actually quoting a specific Rush song?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2021, 04:34:30 AM »
Can't we just say the songs (The Looking Glass, Barstool Warrior, Transcending Time etc.) sound like they were influenced by Rush, rather than actually quoting a specific Rush song?

I always thought oasis were way more Beatles *inspired* than ripping off specific songs. Obviously the piano intro to Dont look back in anger is from Imagine but

I've never heard an oasis song and gone " thats JUST x Beatles song "

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2021, 10:32:43 AM »
I guess you could, but if someone else (like me) who doesn't hear a Rush influence asks what you mean, how do you answer?  Just curious.

Because what I hear are a few elements that may also be in some Rush songs, but do not specifically apply to Rush, nor were invented by Rush.  So to me, that's not a Rush influence.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »
I don't think it is a case of any specific passage in a DT song sounding like any specific Rush song.  It's just them incorporating aspects of Rush's general style and sound into their music.  But others may hear specific references.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."