Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68628 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #2345 on: December 23, 2021, 10:20:31 AM »
Trains is the best PT song?

I feel like I’ve ranked like 8-10 above it.
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2346 on: December 23, 2021, 10:25:15 AM »
Trains is also probably my favorite PT song.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2347 on: December 23, 2021, 10:40:42 AM »

I feel like I’ve ranked like 8-10 above it.

I'm a PT fan and while I like the song, I don't think it makes my top 20.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2348 on: December 23, 2021, 10:44:13 AM »

No, it's not. Not even close to the best from the album it's on.

:biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2349 on: December 23, 2021, 10:50:50 AM »
Some people will tell you that Dark Matter is the best Porcupine Tree song and Luminol is the best Steven Wilson song.

Offline 425

« Reply #2350 on: December 23, 2021, 10:54:50 AM »
Trains is the best PT song for sure. I don't listen to the band very much anymore, but I'm always happy to listen to that one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2351 on: December 23, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
I love me some Trains.

As for Heart Attack in a Layby, I always got the sense that Steven Wilson took snippets of random news stories/tragedies and extrapolated them out into his own personal re-telling of it.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2352 on: December 23, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
I love me some Trains.

As for Heart Attack in a Layby, I always got the sense that Steven Wilson took snippets of random news stories/tragedies and extrapolated them out into his own personal re-telling of it.
i mean this is literally the entirety of Hand Cannot Erase so yeah

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2353 on: December 23, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »
Trains is the best PT song for sure. I don't listen to the band very much anymore, but I'm always happy to listen to that one.
I don't consider it the best one, but I do love it and just love the feeling of nostalgia it explores. Such a warm and lovely song, and a nice contrast from... well pretty much everything else PT has done. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2354 on: December 23, 2021, 11:26:51 AM »
For those of you who rate Trains highly, when did you become a fan of the band?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2355 on: December 23, 2021, 11:32:17 AM »
Became a fan in-between Deadwing and FOABP, so around 2005-'06.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline HOF

« Reply #2356 on: December 23, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »

In Absentia was the first thing I got from PT back when it was released, so it was my introduction to PT/SW.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2357 on: December 23, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »
Yeah probably about the same.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2358 on: December 23, 2021, 11:42:50 AM »

In Absentia was the first thing I got from PT back when it was released, so it was my introduction to PT/SW.

Yeah probably about the same.

That makes sense.  I got into PT back in 1995 when The Sky Moves Sideways came out.  Signify was my favorite up until they released In Absentia.  I didn't really like the change from Signify to Stupid Dream, and I skipped Lightbulb Sun when it first came out.  Both of those albums have grown on me quite a bit since then.  In Absentia got me back into the band in a big way.

Offline 425

« Reply #2359 on: December 23, 2021, 12:08:57 PM »
I don't consider it the best one, but I do love it and just love the feeling of nostalgia it explores. Such a warm and lovely song, and a nice contrast from... well pretty much everything else PT has done. :lol

I genuinely do think it's the best one, but yeah, that warmer feeling is another part of why I'm more inclined to listen to it than the others.

2013ish.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2360 on: December 23, 2021, 12:14:13 PM »
Scorecupine Tree Wilsults!

Romdrums

So Called Friend...7.5

This is actually a cool song. The druns are really powerful. The pre chorus, or is it post chorus, is played to a nice beefy riff. And I like the chorus as well. Excellent vocal in that. Overall, a nice to the point submission that I really liked.

Sever...7.7

The first thing that jumps out at me is the drum pattern. Not difficult, but inviting. The drums are really the best part of the song. They have a great sound, especially the hi-hat. When the song intensifies a bit about four and a half minutes in, the drums are fantastic. I don’t know that this song does anything spectacular, but it’s quite trance-like and really cool.
7.5+7.7=15.2/2=7.6

Cyril

Luminol (SW)...8.3

I like the beginning to this. Nice audible bass, and the drumming reminds me of Stewart Copeland. Cool keyboard solo about three minutes in. The middle section is pretty nice. I like the piano solo. The ending is interesting. I like that it rocks. Solid track for sure.

Dark Matter...8.5

Another mellowish tune that keeps a really nice pace. It’s mellow, but not boring. Has a pink Floyd feel to it, with a hint of Led Zeppelin. I like the keyboard around 5:20 as it introduces the solo section. This is a great solo too. Really strong notes. Excellent song. I love it!
8.3+8.5=16.8/2=8.4

Vmadera

Fear Of A Blank Planet...8.4

The acoustic intro feels like a slower version of the one in Flotsam & Jetsam’s Final Step. X-Box is a God to me? WTF?? Did he just say that? I like the pace to this, and the chorus is catchy. I like the John Paul Jones keyboards at 6:10. Overall, a really strong song, but damn, these lyrics blow.

The Sound Of Musak...7.5

So I have definitely heard this before. It may have been on the mix CD that I got 15 years ago. The chorus sounds familiar. I don’t love the verses, but the chorus is nice and the song is more than pleasant.
8.4+7.5=15.9/2=7.95

Buddy

Strip The Soul...7.2

This song is fairly unexciting for the first three minutes. I like the jammy RHCP part at 3:38, and I love the short drum flourish to end that section at 5:08.This ends real heavy, but unfortunately, this song is a miss for me.

Anesthetize...7.9

So I like the first part a lot. Keeps a steady pace, and while it plays it safe, I’m still quite engaged. Culminating an Alex Lifeson solo that’s cool to hear. The song picks up for the Pills section. Nice hi-hat sound in the verse part of this section. The chorus is good too. I assume the Surfer section is unconsciousness. More John Paul Jones styled keyboards in this part. This last part has grown on me since the first listen. I can’t say I love it, but I think I understand it. This is a long song, but it’s generally enjoyable throughout. It never really drags until the Surfer part, but I guess they were going for that.
7.2+7.9=15.1/2=7.55

Wolfking

Don’t Hate Me...8.4

This is a pretty chill song. If I ignore the lyrics, this is excellent. I love the chorus, and SW’s voice is quite interesting. Really love the note choices in the chorus’ vocals. But goddamn, fucking gag me with these words. I’ll fucking hate you if I want, pussy. This solo section is cool. Is that a flute? Cool sax too. Excellent drumming here as well. About the 5 minute mark on for this spacey section, the bass reminds me of Fields Of The Nephilim. Last Exit For The Lost or something. Another chorus and nice outro solo to close it out. Excellent tune.

The Sound Of Muzak...7.5

So I have definitely heard this before. It may have been on the mix CD that I got 15 years ago. The chorus sounds familiar. I don’t love the verses, but the chorus is nice and the song is more than pleasant.
8.4+7.5=15.9/2=7.95

Professor

Russia On Ice...8.5

The very beginning reminds me of The Rain Song.  Big time Pink Floyd going on here. The solo that starts right before the 5 minute mark is gloriously paced. I can do without the electronic effects as the song picks up. I like that it stays instrumental in the heavy section. Rides out with some soft noise. This is really good music to chill too. I would’ve loved this when I was still getting baked. Heck, I love it now!

Anesthetize...7.9

So I like the first part a lot. Keeps a steady pace, and while it plays it safe, I’m still quite engaged. Culminating an Alex Lifeson solo that’s cool to hear. The song picks up for the Pills section. Nice hi-hat sound in the verse part of this section. The chorus is good too. I assume the Surfer section is unconsciousness. More John Paul Jones styled keyboards in this part. This last part has grown on me since the first listen. I can’t say I love it, but I think I understand it. This is a long song, but it’s generally enjoyable throughout. It never really drags until the Surfer part, but I guess they were going for that.
8.5+7.9=16.4/2=8.2

Puppies

Anesthetize (Live)...7.9

This seems to stay pretty consistent with the studio version, right to the run time. Kudos for them for playing the whole song live, but not kudos for you for making me listen to the live version when like ten other people sent me the studio version.

Hatesong (Live)...8.0

I didn’t check out the studio version so I have no point of reference. But this song is heavy and beefy in spots. The “yeah yeah yeah”s are awful though. But instrumentally, they are tight as hell. I feel like if I get anything by PT, it’d be a live album.
8.0+7.9=15.9/2=7.95

HOF

Lightbulb Sun...8.4

Is this Jimmy Page on guest guitar? Sound like him in the acoustic intro and the chorus riff.  I like this song a lot. The verse is cool enough. Has an Alex Lifeson style solo at 2:25ish. I love the solo again at 4:00. Great climax. The song chills in the end, which is a nice touch. At five and a half minutes, it’s on point, but I could’ve gone another minute easy of that second solo. Excellent tune.

The Sound Of Muzak...7.5

8.4+7.5=15.9/2=7.95

Lonestar

Luminol (SW)...8.3

I like the beginning to this. Nice audible bass, and the drumming reminds me of Stewart Copeland. Cool keyboard solo about three minutes in. The middle section is pretty nice. I like the piano solo. The ending is interesting. I like that it rocks. Solid track for sure.

Anesthetize...7.9

8.3+7.9=16.2/2=8.1
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2361 on: December 23, 2021, 12:14:31 PM »
Ariich

Trains...7.7

I love the acoustic solo at 2:15. I also love the confident drumming in the last minute. This is a really solid song that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. It’s powerful in spots without being fake heavy. Very nice.

Ancestral (SW)...8.2

This electric beginning has me apprehensive. The vocal lines are excellent though. I love the Gary Moore solo at 4:02. Amazing familiarity. Instrumentally, it’s really cool till about the 8:10 mark. Not sure I’m crazy about the next part, Seems odd. Better with guitar. But then it’s instrumental all the way cleverly working its way right to a really great ending. This was a huge grower for me. Still don’t love the first couple of minutes, but this song finishes strong.
7.7+8.2=15.9/2=7.95

Kwyjibo

Even Less...7.7

So this is a nice enough song. It actually grew over the listens. It has a nice and steady pace to it. It's not wicked exciting but it has some power to it. The solo at 5:20 sounds amazing. Good song.

Gravity Eyelids...7.1

Can I start this song at 3:50? And even then, just for a couple of minutes. I have to say that I did not care for this song. At all.
7.7+7.1=14.8/2=7.4

Trains...7.7

I love the acoustic solo at 2:15. I also love the confident drumming in the last minute. This is a really solid song that doesn’t overstay it’s welcome. It’s powerful in spots without being fake heavy. Very nice.

Luminol (SW)...8.3

7.7+8.3=16.0/2=8.0

Evermind

Heartattack In A Layby...7.8

This has a really eerie and cool opening. Nice pacing to this. Yes, it is slow and mellow, but it never dropped me. I feel like it’s missing a guitar solo. Still, it’s quite moving.

Ancestral (SW)...8.2

This electric beginning has me apprehensive. The vocal lines are excellent though. I love the Gary Moore solo at 4:02. Amazing familiarity. Instrumentally, it’s really cool till about the 8:10 mark. Not sure I’m crazy about the next part, Seems odd. Better with guitar. But then it’s instrumental all the way cleverly working its way right to a really great ending. This was a huge grower for me. Still don’t love the first couple of minutes, but this song finishes strong.
7.8+8.2=16.0/2=8.0

Kingshmegland

Time Flies...7.8

The first vocal section is nice enough. But this song goes next level with a cool acoustic part at 3:55. Eerie and moving. The keys join around 4:35 perfectly. Really like this Pink Floyd feel. It’s 4 minutes of musical bliss. The vocals return to close out the song similar to the first section. Nice outro too. I would say that at eleven and a half minutes is a bit long, but it does have nice balance, and the middle section is not rushed, so there’s that. That mid section saves this song.

Hand Cannot Erase (SW)...7.2

This reminds me of I Walk Beside You but not as good. Even Structural Disorders Architect Of The Skies. Has a Rush feel so I can see why you’d like it, but this just isn’t a song that gets me going.
7.2+7.8=15.0/2=7.5

Stadler

Men Of Wood...7.3

Stadler?? What is this?

Trains...7.7

7.3+7.7=15.0/2=7.5

LudwigVan

Anesthetize...7.9

Normal...7.6

This is a nice song, even a bit understated. It doesn’t jump out at me and I think there’s better songs here. There’s not a lot to point to. I do like the acoustic guitar at 5:42. But overall, fairly unremarkable.
7.9+7.6=15.5/2=7.75

Elite

Dislocation Day...7.4

No sure how I feel about this song. It really doesn’t do anything.

Synesthesia...7.5

Sounds like Alex Lifeson at 1:45. And starting at 3:07, the main instrumental/guitar solo section starts and it’s pretty good. The rhythm underneath never changes throughout the whole song. It’s not a song I dislike, but I would never use this to show PT’s strength as a band.
7.4+7.5=14.9/2=7.45
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2362 on: December 23, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »
Round 7 Results!

Cyril...8.40
Professor...8.20
Lonestar...8.10
Evermind...8.00
Vmadera...7.95
Wolfking...7.95
Ariich...7.95
Puppies...7.95
HOF...7.95
LudwigVan...7.75
Romdrums...7.60
Buddy...7.55
Kingshmegland...7.50
Stadler...7.50
Elite...7.45
Kwyjibo...7.40

Standings!

Puppies...8.60+8.15+8.25+8.35+8.20+8.35+7.95=57.85
Cyril...7.55+8.25+7.95+8.45+8.35+8.30+8.40=57.35
Ariich...9.0+8.15+7.60+7.85+8.05+8.45+7.95=57.05
Romdrums...8.25+7.65+8.25+7.8+7.80+8.50+7.60=56.85
VMadera...8.45+7.35+7.95+8.30+8.60+8.20+7.95=56.80
Professor...8.20+7.6+7.0+8.05+8.30+8.80+8.20=56.15
LudwigVan...8.35+7.55+7.35+7.90+8.30+8.45+7.75=55.85
Wolfking...7.80+7.6+8.10+8.0+7.90+8.50+7.95=55.85
425...7.90+7.40+7.65+8.45+7.85+8.35+8.0=55.60
Kwyjibo...7.80+8.75+7.65+8.15+7.60+8.05+7.40=55.40
Kingshmegland...7.70+8.25+7.85+7.85+8.20+7.90+7.50=55.25
Buddy...7.05+8.15+7.75+8.05+8.20+8.20+7.55=54.95
Elite...7.50+7.75+7.60+7.90+7.80+8.65+7.45=54.65
Evermind...8.20+7.75+7.55+7.45+7.80+7.90+8.0=54.65
Lonestar...7.80+7.25+7.85+7.40+8.0+8.20+8.10=54.60
HOF...7.65+7.50+8.05+7.60+7.95+7.90+7.95=54.60
Stadler...8.50+7.75+7.35+7.55+7.85+7.85+7.50=54.35

Check my math!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:38:45 PM by TAC »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? Scorecupine Tree!
« Reply #2363 on: December 23, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
Some people will tell you that Dark Matter is the best Porcupine Tree song and Luminol is the best Steven Wilson song.

Yes to the former, no to the latter
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2364 on: December 23, 2021, 12:18:05 PM »
And just a reminder!
I LIKE everything 7.5 and over. This was a generally weak round though. Very little I didn't care for.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2365 on: December 23, 2021, 12:18:45 PM »
Well, FFS I actually should have gone with Dark Matter.

Damn.
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2366 on: December 23, 2021, 12:20:38 PM »
Well, FFS I actually should have gone with Dark Matter.

Damn.

Everyone should've gone with Dark Matter.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2367 on: December 23, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »
And of course, the other song I thought about sending (Russia on Ice) and didn't got a good score  :lol Well, I didn't expect much from this round anyways.

NOW we go to Mastodon  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline HOF

« Reply #2368 on: December 23, 2021, 12:33:10 PM »
Trying to figure out how I outscored Stadler this round but he passed me up in the standings... maybe I was already in last place and forgot!

Nevermind, everyone below me passed me. Stadler was already ahead. Last place baby!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2369 on: December 23, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
Trying to figure out how I outscored Stadler this round but he passed me up in the standings... maybe I was already in last place and forgot!

I'll recheck my math.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2370 on: December 23, 2021, 12:38:36 PM »

I'll recheck my math.

No, don't do that. I forgot it wasn't Stadler who was lower than me before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2371 on: December 23, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »

I'll recheck my math.

You're right. I screwed your score up. I fixed the standings.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2372 on: December 23, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »

I'll recheck my math.

You're right. I screwed your score up. I fixed the standings.

Hey, sometimes demanding a recount works!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2373 on: December 23, 2021, 12:43:18 PM »
Well, that's why I put that in the Results post.  :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2374 on: December 23, 2021, 12:45:37 PM »

Yes to the former, no to the latter
this was a joke based on what i sent  :lol there's several SW songs i like more than luminol tbh

also LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO only person to send two 8+'s this round :2metal:
time to drop the ball on mastodon, the most mid and underwhelming band of this roulette :metardica:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2375 on: December 23, 2021, 12:48:16 PM »
Looking ahead to the Final Round...Mastodon.

1. Initially I had their new album banned.  In case anyone missed the change IT IS ALLOWED. I will tell you that I dropped the needle on it, and it didn't really get me going, but people are listing it in the top album thread so I'm obviously overlooking something.

2. Obviously it's Christmas this weekend. I will get ZERO listening in on Friday and Saturday. I know you'll all be busy too. I just ask to have everyone in by the time I get home from work on Monday. I will listen to what I have in the meantime. I've already gotten a handful of entries. Last chance to use your Wild Card™.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2376 on: December 23, 2021, 12:49:15 PM »
My goodness there are a lot of Mastodon albums. Here goes nothing...

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2377 on: December 23, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »
Well, that was shit.  :D

But I still insist, that Gravity Eyelides can't be the worst song in that round, when it's in fact the best.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #2378 on: December 23, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »
Hey, I did pretty well, so that's cool! Glad you liked both songs. I wasn't expecting Trains to be the biggest hit of the round, but I wanted to send my two favorite SW songs, and I'm happy with a 7.7 on that one.

Now it's time to celebrate Christmas by learning what a Mastodon is, courtesy of wolfking (yes, I got your PM, sorry about not replying sooner).
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2379 on: December 23, 2021, 01:13:24 PM »
I'm going to LMAO if you score better than him.