Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68298 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #2240 on: December 18, 2021, 03:55:41 AM »
Stadler
Men Of Wood
Trains

What the fuck??? How the hell did I miss this? :rollin

And I missed it too :rollin
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2241 on: December 18, 2021, 04:02:06 AM »
I think it's better to send songs I like than to send songs I think might be in line with Tim's taste.

That's why I sent Gravity Eyelids because I think it's one of PTs best.

Why can't it be both though? I sent songs that I like that I think might be in Line with Tim's taste. I'm completely with you that Gravity Eyelids is one of their best songs.

The most surprising things about these submissions to me are;
- Anesthetize being sent a lot; the song has good parts for sure, but it really doesn't justify it's 17 minute runtime
- nobody sent Way Out of Here
- I might have thought someone would send The Blind House, but the final section kind of drags that one down
- Trains is overrated
- Luminol is probably the 'safest' choice from SW's solo discography, but I'm a little surprised nobody tries something like Harmony Korine. My Book of Regrets might do well too.
- I'm not confident at all that my early PT picks will score well, but people saying Dislocated Day is bad.. :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: December 18, 2021, 04:43:07 AM »
I never really rated Anesthetize either, but I'm only a casual PT fan.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2243 on: December 18, 2021, 04:59:10 AM »
I think it's better to send songs I like than to send songs I think might be in line with Tim's taste.

That's why I sent Gravity Eyelids because I think it's one of PTs best.

Why can't it be both though? I sent songs that I like that I think might be in Line with Tim's taste. I'm completely with you that Gravity Eyelids is one of their best songs.

The most surprising things about these submissions to me are;
- Anesthetize being sent a lot; the song has good parts for sure, but it really doesn't justify it's 17 minute runtime
- nobody sent Way Out of Here
- I might have thought someone would send The Blind House, but the final section kind of drags that one down
- Trains is overrated
- Luminol is probably the 'safest' choice from SW's solo discography, but I'm a little surprised nobody tries something like Harmony Korine. My Book of Regrets might do well too.
- I'm not confident at all that my early PT picks will score well, but people saying Dislocated Day is bad.. :(

Sure it can be both.

And Anesthesize is overrated and it's really three songs that are somehow connected. And although it has a Lifeson solo, it's only an okay solo imo. Didn't need Lifeson to play it.

I'm surprised nobody sent Drive Home, back then everyone was raving about it.

And Dislocated Day is a good song, but we'll see if it's good enough.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #2244 on: December 18, 2021, 07:47:28 AM »
I find Heartattack in a Layby kind of dull and My Ashes pretty interesting and dynamic, but that might just be a matter of personal preference.

I find you kind of dull, but that might just be a matter of personal preference.

No, I'm objectively dull. Ask WildRanger.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2245 on: December 18, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »
I find Heartattack in a Layby kind of dull and My Ashes pretty interesting and dynamic, but that might just be a matter of personal preference.

I find you kind of dull, but that might just be a matter of personal preference.

No, I'm objectively dull. Ask WildRanger.

;D
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2246 on: December 18, 2021, 06:24:41 PM »
Second listens complete!

Lots to chew on. Surprisingly, these songs aren't very complex. I guess I was expecting something a bit more progressive, and a lot less straight forward.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2247 on: December 18, 2021, 06:28:49 PM »
both PT and SW's solo stuff have a habit of starting off more prog and getting more pop and accessible as the discographies go on, so  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2248 on: December 18, 2021, 07:19:52 PM »
It's not even so much that it's poppy. It's just...straight. And kind of jammy.

I'll also say that I've pretty much enjoyed most of what I've heard. yes, there's a few times where I want to punch Steven Wilson in the face, but mostly, it's been more than fine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2249 on: December 18, 2021, 07:20:12 PM »
Anesthetize is awesome from start to finish.  Very cohesive song.   :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2250 on: December 18, 2021, 07:20:56 PM »

Maybe from the start to the finish of the second section...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2251 on: December 18, 2021, 07:22:07 PM »

Maybe from the start to the finish of the second section...

Nah, it's all great. That song does a great job of featuring the climax about 2/3 of the way through and then featuring a final section that is like the calm aftermath.  Kind of like the grandchild of The Gates of Delirium by Yes, although the two songs are pretty different overall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2252 on: December 18, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
Never heard that Yes song.  :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2253 on: December 18, 2021, 07:26:52 PM »
Shocking.  :lol :lol

:facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2254 on: December 18, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »
The final section of Anesthetize is wonderful. One of the most depressing sections in PT's catalog.

In a good way. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2255 on: December 18, 2021, 07:47:06 PM »
The final section of Anesthetize is wonderful.

Buddy
Strip The Soul
Anesthetize

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2256 on: December 18, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
I feel like they should've switched the second and third sections of Anesthetize.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2257 on: December 18, 2021, 08:07:47 PM »
BTW Tim, do you know which solo is Alex Lifeson on Anesthetize?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2258 on: December 18, 2021, 08:09:24 PM »
The final section of Anesthetize is wonderful.

Buddy
Strip The Soul
Anesthetize

I sent it for a reason, genius. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2259 on: December 18, 2021, 08:15:25 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2260 on: December 19, 2021, 09:28:13 AM »
Stadler
Men Of Wood
Trains

What the fuck??? How the hell did I miss this? :rollin
Wow, how did I miss this as well!?! Man, if Tim hated the guitar tone at the beginning of Gravity's Union, he's going to flip a table and punch a wall with this one...  :rollin

I guess if I had know people would be sending the more obscure PT stuff, I would have sent Hokey Cokey :neverusethis: or maybe Nun's Cleavage...

I could just as easily as Tim run this roulette, because other than Neal Morse and... I forget the other [Ed.: Devin Townsend], I have no real love for any of these artists.  Add to that the fact that while we like a LOT of the same bands, if you took "Tim's Top Ten" of any band it's usually my "Bottom Top Ten" and vice versa, I'm just looking for interesting material to send.  I sell Trains for a living (sort of; I'm not a salesman) so there's that, and I thought the other was funny.   

(And all this is meant to HAVE fun; I'm hoping people get a laugh while we talk music.)

Oh, and by the way, I agree with this 100%:

-Steven Wilson's vocals are really awful in spots. They feel so patronizing. He definitely suffers from The Guy Who Thinks He's The Smartest Guy In The Room Syndrome.

and this:

Yeah, one interesting part of this roulette has been TAC's comparisons to other artists. It seems like every round he makes a comparison that I've never read before and would never have thought of on my own, but that makes sense when I think about it.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2261 on: December 19, 2021, 03:43:14 PM »
Second listens complete!

Lots to chew on. Surprisingly, these songs aren't very complex. I guess I was expecting something a bit more progressive, and a lot less straight forward.

Yeah, Opeth are a lot more traditionally proggy than PT.

Steven Wilson actually spurns the ‘complex’ prog tradition of bands like Yes and ELP, instead going for the ambient, atmospheric Pink Floyd-ian prog style. At one time, he publicly scoffed at Dream Theater’s brand of prog, for which he apparently apologized for in Repentance on Systematic Chaos.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2262 on: December 19, 2021, 03:50:05 PM »
Second listens complete!

Steven Wilson actually spurns the ‘complex’ prog tradition of bands like Yes and ELP, instead going for the ambient, atmospheric Pink Floyd-ian prog style. At one time, he publicly scoffed at Dream Theater’s brand of prog, for which he apparently apologized for in Repentance on Systematic Chaos.

Gord, were you at the show where Ackerfeldt came out and sang a verse?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #2263 on: December 19, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
Second listens complete!

Gord, were you at the show where Ackerfeldt came out and sang a verse?

Yes, I was. If I recall, it got messed up a little because when it came time for him to speak, the microphone failed on him, and they had to improvise/backtrack a bit to make it happen.

Also, “publicly scoff” is probably too strong a phrase, but I’m pretty sure SW has said that he didn’t care for DT’s style of music.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2264 on: December 19, 2021, 03:56:05 PM »
I have always thought that it would've been cooler if he read some of the spoken word parts instead of simply singing a verse.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2265 on: December 20, 2021, 12:43:33 AM »
Also, “publicly scoff” is probably too strong a phrase, but I’m pretty sure SW has said that he didn’t care for DT’s style of music.

Yes, DT is one of the many bands and "traditional" prog is one of the many directions SW doesn't care for. You could fill books with the bands/artists he doesn't like/don't care for/don't find relevant. And while that is his decision, because it's his taste, makes you wonder why he has to tell everyone about it.

Kinda like a vegan.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2266 on: December 20, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »

Yes, DT is one of the many bands and "traditional" prog is one of the many directions SW doesn't care for. You could fill books with the bands/artists he doesn't like/don't care for/don't find relevant. And while that is his decision, because it's his taste, makes you wonder why he has to tell everyone about it.

Kinda like a vegan.  :D
Or people who do crossfit.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2267 on: December 20, 2021, 06:47:06 PM »
Update.. moving right along. I think I have 7 writeups done. Hoping for Thursday. We'll see.

I also want to mention again that the lead guitar playing is outstanding. Is SW his own lead guitarist?
If so, what is his guitar of choice?

Offline 425

« Reply #2268 on: December 20, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
SW is the lead guitarist on the Porcupine Tree material, but not on the solo material. That's Guthrie Govan on the solo albums you got stuff from.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2269 on: December 20, 2021, 06:51:58 PM »
Update.. moving right along. I think I have 7 writeups done. Hoping for Thursday. We'll see.

I also want to mention again that the lead guitar playing is outstanding. Is SW his own lead guitarist?

In Porcupine Tree, yes, Wilson is always the lead guitarist in the studio (and usually live as well).

In his solo career, it has been more varied.  I believe he was the lead guitarist on the first two solo albums, but Govan joined and became the lead guitarist for The Raven and Hand Cannot Erase (his 3rd and 4th solo albums).  And then he went back to being the lead guitarist most of the time on his last two studio albums.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2270 on: December 20, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »

I believe he is mainly a PRS guy. Seems to be what I have seen him most with, at least in the PT days.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2271 on: December 20, 2021, 07:00:53 PM »
Cool. Thank you, all.

Not familiar with PRS.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2272 on: December 20, 2021, 07:04:23 PM »
To me, PRS>>>>Fender>>Gibson.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2273 on: December 20, 2021, 07:09:05 PM »
Lifeson went hard into PRS in the 90's. Watch any video from Rush from then on he is mostly playing a PRS. He is still endorsed by them to this day.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2274 on: December 20, 2021, 07:16:43 PM »
Cool. Never heard of them, but I'm not a guitarist. But I was interested after hearing the lead tones.

To me, PRS>>>>Fender>>Gibson.

I don't know. Gary Moore played a Gibson Les Paul, and it's the best I've ever heard a guitar sound.