Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68259 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #1295 on: November 24, 2021, 02:12:23 PM »
Dammit, got beaten by people who picked songs at random. :lol

More so than previous rounds, it's hard to reconcile write-ups with scores. Like, some other songs seem to have similarly critical writeups to Lay Your Ghosts To Rest but much better scores.

That said, I can understand why that song didn't work for you. I sent it because of how amazing the clean sections are and I'm glad you enjoyed those as much as you did, but I guess there's quite a few intense parts throughout the song too.

Silent Flight Parliament I feel deserved better, but never mind, bring on the next round.

I'm gunning for you, Pup!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1296 on: November 24, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »
Well at least Memory Palace was a good call! I love the breakdown riff in the middle of that one. All of BTBAM's cowbell breakdowns are good, actually. :lol

Sent for Neal Morse. Unlike you cowards who dice rolled I suffered through enough to find just two songs I actually enjoyed. :biggrin: Same for the next round.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1297 on: November 24, 2021, 02:18:06 PM »
Sent for NM.

Since I am the bottom dweller, I threw caution to the wind and discarded my TAC-centric picks and went with favorites. Maybe it will keep me where I am and maybe it will backfire and he'll love them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: November 24, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
I'm happy my Parallax 1 combo paid off well enough.  Just a beast of an EP.

I almost sent Human is Hell.  I kind of wish I did now to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1299 on: November 24, 2021, 02:23:13 PM »
Dammit, got beaten by people who picked songs at random. :lol

More so than previous rounds, it's hard to reconcile write-ups with scores. Like, some other songs seem to have similarly critical writeups to Lay Your Ghosts To Rest but much better scores.

That said, I can understand why that song didn't work for you. I sent it because of how amazing the clean sections are and I'm glad you enjoyed those as much as you did, but I guess there's quite a few intense parts throughout the song too.

Silent Flight Parliament I feel deserved better, but never mind, bring on the next round.

I'm gunning for you, Pup!

So, Silent Flight Parliament might've benefitted from a two week round.

As far as the writeups/scores go..
For this round, I listened to each song three times and on the fourth run through, I did the writeups. I start ranking during the second listen, and tweak it again after the third. As I was doing the writeups, a lot of these songs started to clear up for me. Again, tweaking the rankings as I went.

After that, I basically grant a high and low score range and play with them within. I needle dropped some things that I was unsure of, but by that point, I was just done with this round. Usually, I'll do a reaction style writeup with a sentence or two at the end with a general thought. But this round, like I said, I just couldn't do another listen and tweak the comments.

All of the songs had good parts in them.

Lay Your Ghosts To Rest was an example of one song actually getting worse the more I listened to it. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #1300 on: November 24, 2021, 02:39:55 PM »
Well, that turned out to be a pretty decent round. Now for some Neal Morse! Sent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1301 on: November 24, 2021, 03:30:18 PM »
Wow, that went wrong.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1302 on: November 24, 2021, 04:03:59 PM »
Boom!  Tied with puppies for best score of the round.   :metal

Glad you liked those tunes.  Some of my favorites from BTBAM, that’s for sure! 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: November 24, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
Roulette Update!

For the Mastodon round, I WILL accept submissions from their new album. Initially I banned it, as I have listened to most of it ONCE. It IS ok to send something from their new album. The OP has been updated..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1304 on: November 24, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
9 in so far, and the double submissions are already accumulating. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: November 24, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
Roulette Update!

For the Mastodon round, I WILL accept submissions from their new album. Initially I banned it, as I have listened to most of it ONCE. It IS ok to send something from their new album. The OP has been updated..

Fair play but I wouldn't bother personally.  They have enough good shit outside the new one to send IMO.  Could be a masterstroke for some songs though if submitted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: November 24, 2021, 07:01:25 PM »
Can you make another roulette update where I can send Steve Morse instead of Neal Morse?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1307 on: November 24, 2021, 07:02:33 PM »
Roulette Update!

Fair play but I wouldn't bother personally.  They have enough good shit outside the new one to send IMO.  Could be a masterstroke for some songs though if submitted.

Don't you mean a.....mastostroke? :neverusethis:

I'm sorry.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1308 on: November 24, 2021, 07:03:21 PM »
Can you make another roulette update where I can send Steve Morse instead of Neal Morse?

Yeah, but you'd have to send Pete Townsend instead of Devin Townsend.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: November 24, 2021, 07:04:18 PM »
Roulette Update!

Don't you mean a.....mastostroke? :neverusethis:

I'm sorry.

No.......a mastastroke.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: November 24, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »

Yeah, but you'd have to send Pete Townsend instead of Devin Townsend.  :lol

Deal.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1311 on: November 24, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »
 :lol

I was right in front of Jerry Peek when The Steve Morse Band opened up for Rush on the Power Windows tour. What a great show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: November 24, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »

I was right in front of Jerry Peek when The Steve Morse Band opened up for Rush on the Power Windows tour. What a great show.

Amazing player indeed.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1313 on: November 24, 2021, 07:15:46 PM »
i'm listening to a few neil morse band songs and if there's more than one singer on any of these i would never in a million years be able to tell. i can't find any reference for who sings what anywhere online either so if i accidentally submit a banned song i think it should considered legal anyways because it's not my fault the man doesn't sing in his own goddamn band  :loser:

Offline 425

« Reply #1314 on: November 24, 2021, 07:31:52 PM »
i'm listening to a few neil morse band songs and if there's more than one singer on any of these i would never in a million years be able to tell. i can't find any reference for who sings what anywhere online either so if i accidentally submit a banned song i think it should considered legal anyways because it's not my fault the man doesn't sing in his own goddamn band  :loser:

You're telling me the singer at 1:56 sounds just like the singer at 2:24? Might want to get your ears checked.

The reference is me. Just PM me what you're submitting and I'll tell you if you're good. I am going to be stickler about it if TAC posts the submissions and there ends up being banned stuff in there, because I didn't get to send everything I wanted to send.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1315 on: November 24, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »

Find a Flying Colors song with a lot of Neal vocal and you are set.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1316 on: November 24, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »

I saw them on that tour. If you own the bootleg of the Providence show, I know the kid that taped it, and he did an amazing job.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1317 on: November 24, 2021, 07:43:39 PM »

You're telling me the singer at 1:56 sounds just like the singer at 2:24? Might want to get your ears checked.
i mean i didn't listen to this one, so  :lol
i've literally checked out like four or five songs at most and there was only one part in one song where it was a noticeably different singer
rather than everyone PMing 425 individually i think he owes us a list of every song that's eligible by the 50% rule, if we're actually being this big of a stickler about vetting it  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1318 on: November 24, 2021, 07:46:23 PM »

The reference is me. Just PM me what you're submitting and I'll tell you if you're good. I am going to be stickler about it if TAC posts the submissions and there ends up being banned stuff in there, because I didn't get to send everything I wanted to send.

Offline 425

« Reply #1319 on: November 24, 2021, 07:50:20 PM »

What I'm writing on that clipboard is "No, ariich, that's Eric Gillette."

It's easier for me to vet what gets sent than go through 62 songs by myself, but fine. I'll post a list soon.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1320 on: November 24, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »

What I'm writing on that clipboard is "No, ariich, that's Eric Gillette."

Nice.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1321 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:23 PM »
Our friend is checking in...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1322 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:34 PM »
i mean i'm actually suffering through listening to this, i'd like to know my suffering is worth something

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: November 24, 2021, 07:54:48 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1324 on: November 24, 2021, 07:56:30 PM »
i mean i'm actually suffering through listening to this, i'd like to know my suffering is worth something

Now you know how I felt last round. :lol

There's no way it's that bad, is it? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1326 on: November 24, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »
425 already said one of my songs is 50% Neal so I’m holding him to that! :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1327 on: November 24, 2021, 08:02:45 PM »
There's no way it's that bad, is it?
they are actually a lot better than anything i've been sent featuring him in a roulette but that's largely in part because i'm perusing a combination of RYM and the recent Neal Morse survivor to pick at only the songs people seem to like the most that are also not a billion years long  :lol a few of the ones i checked out were pretty lousy though anyways. would not listen to any of these albums in full

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1328 on: November 24, 2021, 08:07:10 PM »
we should retroactively redo the BTBAM round and ban any songs that have less than 50% growls and see what happens :neverusethis:
opeth has to be 75% or more growls too and the SW/PT songs have to be at least 80% british

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: November 24, 2021, 08:08:54 PM »
Imagine that graph?  :lol