Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68309 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #1015 on: November 19, 2021, 08:12:47 AM »
I was listening to the bands I'm unfamiliar with on my commute home. Opeth is interesting, C&C is quite good, Mastodon is Mastodon, but Neal... I just don't get it. Granted I was just getting Spotify offerings, but nothing appealed to me. The next round is going to be a grind, thank God I can't drop any further in the rankings.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1016 on: November 19, 2021, 08:39:16 AM »
Yes, I'll be sending Spock's Beard next round..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline HOF

« Reply #1017 on: November 19, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
I was listening to the bands I'm unfamiliar with on my commute home. Opeth is interesting, C&C is quite good, Mastodon is Mastodon, but Neal... I just don't get it. Granted I was just getting Spotify offerings, but nothing appealed to me. The next round is going to be a grind, thank God I can't drop any further in the rankings.

Neal is one of my favorite musicians, but his solo stuff since he left SB (including NMB) is not great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1018 on: November 19, 2021, 08:58:07 AM »

Neal is one of my favorite musicians, but his solo stuff since he left SB (including NMB) is not great.
I don't quite agree, I think it's been pretty comparable in terms of being quite a mixed bag - some great albums and some not so great. That said, I think there a couple of Spock's albums that are easily superior to any of his solo albums. Though I'm not sure I'd want to send Tim any songs from them. Hmm, that's going to be the hardest round so far I think.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1019 on: November 19, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »

I'll be sending two NMB songs. I tried listening to V and Snow and I just could... not. The NMB albums I checked out were far more palatable to me. I didn't bother with any true-blue solo records.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline HOF

« Reply #1020 on: November 19, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »

I'll be sending two NMB songs. I tried listening to V and Snow and I just could... not. The NMB albums I checked out were far more palatable to me. I didn't bother with any true-blue solo records.

TAC and I are opposites, so you're probably all better off sending solo Neal stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #1021 on: November 19, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
I've heard one C&C in my life and only heard it once.  Might take Ruslans approach as I don't want to listen to them at all lol.

Yeah I'm doing this for C&C too even though I own the Good Apollo I'm Morning Star IV: The Writing Writer album. Also doing this with Neal Morse and Mastodon as I only own Crack the Skye.

Neal has so many albums I'll probably have to use a d20! :lol

I appreciate this valiant, though very incorrect, effort to write out the full title for GAIBS4V1:FFTtEoM. :lol

For Neal, I'd recommend making sure you stick with his prog albums. Those would be the first six Spock's Beard albums and these of his solo albums:
Testimony
One
?
Sola Scriptura
Lifeline
Testimony 2
Momentum
Sola Gratia

The four Neal Morse Band albums would also qualify, but many of the songs do not satisfy the 75% Neal lead vocals rule and you'd have to check your submissions. (This applies to anyone sending NMB. Also, I volunteer to be a "checker" if anyone doesn't want to listen to the songs or doesn't know what Neal sounds like—note that it's possible to mix him up with one of the other lead singers.)

I find it interesting (though not wholly unsurprising) that a lot of DT fans see absolutely nothing in Neal Morse. His music, especially his solo and NMB albums (I'm exactly the opposite of HOF in preferences), incorporates a lot of what I like most about Dream Theater on an even grander scale. The grandiosity, the setting up and reprisal of themes, the use of technicality as a way to build and express tension... these are hallmarks of Neal's post-SB prog works that are also what I love about songs like Home, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, Breaking All Illusions and In the Name of God.

The reason I don't find it too surprising is because I recognize that that's only one dimension of DT's sound and that other people respond to different aspects of it, and because I recognize that NM has other elements that are pretty different from DT that people may not respond to (probably most importantly, the fact that his voice is nothing like JLB's). But I just find it interesting because they're two of my favorites for many of the same reasons.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1022 on: November 19, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
The four Neal Morse Band albums would also qualify, but many of the songs do not satisfy the 75% Neal lead vocals rule and you'd have to check your submissions. (This applies to anyone sending NMB. Also, I volunteer to be a "checker" if anyone doesn't want to listen to the songs or doesn't know what Neal sounds like—note that it's possible to mix him up with one of the other lead singers.)
Oh, I didn't spot that rule, it wasn't in the OP.

Seems kind of strict. I'm sure some of the Devy songs were more than 25% Anneke.

Also seems pretty difficult to police, a lot of the big choruses have all of them singing in harmony.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1023 on: November 19, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
The round is about Neal Morse. So Neal Morse should be the singer of any song sent. The Anneke songs slipped in because I didn’t realize they were even an option, so I thought I’d tighten up the NM round regarding vocals before I had to listen to MP sing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1024 on: November 19, 2021, 09:17:13 AM »
Oh, I didn't spot that rule, it wasn't in the OP.

Seems kind of strict. I'm sure some of the Devy songs were more than 25% Anneke.

Also seems pretty difficult to police, a lot of the big choruses have all of them singing in harmony.

Yeah, people sort of ignored my question to TAC about vocals in the Devin round. I explicitly asked about that since some of the DTP stuff had other vocalists doing more of the vocals and TAC responded that it needed to be primarily Devin.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #1025 on: November 19, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
The round is about Neal Morse. So Neal Morse should be the singer of any song sent. The Anneke songs slipped in because I didn’t realize they were even an option, so I thought I’d tighten up the NM round regarding vocals before I had to listen to MP sing.

I understand your motivation here, but just to be very clear: NMB is basically a band with three lead singers (none of whom, to be clear, is named Mike Portnoy) so you are cutting off a substantial amount of their discography.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1026 on: November 19, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
Yeah but in his current band the other guys sing too. It's still his band and his music and he does most of the singing.

Dunno, probably just means you'll be closing off stuff that you're probably more likely to enjoy. :lol

Yeah, people sort of ignored my question to TAC about vocals in the Devin round. I explicitly asked about that since some of the DTP stuff had other vocalists doing more of the vocals and TAC responded that it needed to be primarily Devin.
Bend It Like Bender is mostly Anneke. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1027 on: November 19, 2021, 09:21:39 AM »
Yeah Neal's voice is so generic anyways I have no idea how much of his vocals are on my songs.

Bullshit rule (in my opinion) :heart
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline 425

« Reply #1028 on: November 19, 2021, 09:22:37 AM »
I'm gonna be a bit obnoxious about this rule if it stays in place because if I have to follow it, I want everyone else to have to follow it, too.

Edit:

Yeah Neal's voice is so generic anyways I have no idea how much of his vocals are on my songs.

I don't agree with the generic comment, but it is going to be difficult for non-NMB fans because I think it can be challenging to tell Neal and Eric Gillette apart.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline HOF

« Reply #1029 on: November 19, 2021, 09:24:27 AM »

I find it interesting (though not wholly unsurprising) that a lot of DT fans see absolutely nothing in Neal Morse. His music, especially his solo and NMB albums (I'm exactly the opposite of HOF in preferences), incorporates a lot of what I like most about Dream Theater on an even grander scale. The grandiosity, the setting up and reprisal of themes, the use of technicality as a way to build and express tension... these are hallmarks of Neal's post-SB prog works that are also what I love about songs like Home, Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, Breaking All Illusions and In the Name of God.

The reason I don't find it too surprising is because I recognize that that's only one dimension of DT's sound and that other people respond to different aspects of it, and because I recognize that NM has other elements that are pretty different from DT that people may not respond to (probably most importantly, the fact that his voice is nothing like JLB's). But I just find it interesting because they're two of my favorites for many of the same reasons.

So part of it is I feel like Neal, when paired with MP*, falls into some of the same traps as DT did after Jordan joined the band. Everything has to be more extrem, more epic, longer, bigger, grander, etc. Neal's writing in SB just has more charm and a little more heart and soul to me.

*I love the early TA albums, but I think some of it started there. I will say Flying Colors is more restrained in general, and I do like those albums better than solo Neal/NMB.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1030 on: November 19, 2021, 09:25:20 AM »

Can you get more generic that the screaming/growls in BTBAM and Opeth? Neal has a pretty unique voice in the prog world IMO.

Offline 425

« Reply #1031 on: November 19, 2021, 09:26:14 AM »
So part of it is I feel like Neal, when paired with MP*, falls into some of the same traps as DT did after Jordan joined the band. Everything has to be more extrem, more epic, longer, bigger, grander, etc. Neal's writing in SB just has more charm and a little more heart and soul to me.

*I love the early TA albums, but I think some of it started there. I will say Flying Colors is more restrained in general, and I do like those albums better than solo Neal/NMB.

I mean, that makes perfect sense, then. If you don't like that aspect of the JR DT albums (which I do like), then you wouldn't like it when NM does it, either.

Meanwhile Flying Colors does basically nothing for me. :lol
And if spirit's a sign,

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1032 on: November 19, 2021, 09:27:21 AM »
Tru dat.

Just means lots more work for 425 to audit all our submissions. :P

I'm gonna be a bit obnoxious about this rule if it stays in place because if I have to follow it, I want everyone else to have to follow it, too.
Oh yeah totally, I'm 100% about fairness and if the rule stays then I'd feel much happier if someone who knows their stuff was able to enforce it on Tim's behalf! :lol

What we ideally need is a list of which songs are eligible. But I guess that wouldn't be any less work for you then checking the ones that actually get sent.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: November 19, 2021, 09:28:34 AM »

Are you sure you won't mix him up with some female singer? (I don't think there are any on NMB but I couldn't pass the opportunity)

Also I'm sure I didn't pull The Writing Writer out of my ass. :lol That must be one of the songs then.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1034 on: November 19, 2021, 09:29:47 AM »

Can you get more generic that the screaming/growls in BTBAM and Opeth?
Neither is generic but I totally understand how they'd sound that way if you don't like that style.

However, those bands don't have any restrictions for their rounds, so the comparison is moot.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1035 on: November 19, 2021, 09:32:18 AM »
Yeah but in his current band the other guys sing too. It's still his band and his music and he does most of the singing.

Dunno, probably just means you'll be closing off stuff that you're probably more likely to enjoy. :lol

Sure. But that’s like buying a Blue Oyster Cult album because I like Dont Fear The Reaper and then going WTF?

I think the 75% rule is fine. I don’t mind if he trades off some vocal lines.

Does Anneke song in any songs? If so, forget the 75% rule.  ;D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #1036 on: November 19, 2021, 09:32:54 AM »

Are you sure you won't mix him up with some female singer? (I don't think there are any on NMB but I couldn't pass the opportunity)

Also I'm sure I didn't pull The Writing Writer out of my ass. :lol That must be one of the songs then.

Speaking of that, who is Anneke? I thought Devin was singing everything.  ;)

One of the songs is "Apollo I: The Writing Writer." The album is Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline HOF

« Reply #1037 on: November 19, 2021, 09:33:17 AM »

Can you get more generic that the screaming/growls in BTBAM and Opeth?
Neither is generic but I totally understand how they'd sound that way if you don't like that style.

However, those bands don't have any restrictions for their rounds, so the comparison is moot.

Ah, I kind of misinterpreted what Buddy was going on about. Still, I think Neal sounds pretty different from even the other people in NMB.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1038 on: November 19, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »

Sure. But that’s like buying a Blue Oyster Cult album because I like Dont Fear The Reaper and then going WTF?

Does Anneke song in any songs? If so, forget the 75% rule.  ;D

Alright 425, you're up:

The Call
Bird On A Wire

If either of those get disqualified I'm dice rolling Neal's solo albums and not even listening to the songs that get chosen. :biggrin:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: November 19, 2021, 09:39:02 AM »
One of the songs is "Apollo I: The Writing Writer." The album is Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness.

Don't worry, I won't remember this tomorrow. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #1040 on: November 19, 2021, 09:44:56 AM »
Alright 425, you're up:

The Call
Bird On A Wire

If either of those get disqualified I'm dice rolling Neal's solo albums and not even listening to the songs that get chosen. :biggrin:

The Call is good. Almost every word is sung by Neal, some in harmony with others.

Bird on a Wire is not. Neal sings around 50% of the vocals: all the verses. Eric Gillette sings the choruses and Bill Hubauer sings the bridge.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1041 on: November 19, 2021, 09:45:52 AM »
Alright 425, you're up:

The Call
Bird On A Wire

The Call is good. Almost every word is sung by Neal, some in harmony with others.

Bird on a Wire is not. Neal sings around 50% of the vocals: all the verses. Eric Gillette sings the choruses and Bill Hubauer sings the bridge.

The Call and one RNG song it is!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1042 on: November 19, 2021, 09:46:34 AM »

But if you liked the Neal Morse Band songs where two other guys sing lead lines, and then bought a Neal Morse Band album, it would be along the lines you expected because those other singers would be all over those albums.

I'd understand 50% in terms of ensuring Neal is the main singer, like you indicated for Devy (although you didn't enforce it). I just don't really get why 75%.

That said, I haven't actually chosen my songs yet and definitely have some NM solo and Spock's options.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1043 on: November 19, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
let's solve the neal morse problem by tossing the neal morse round and going with a different artist insteat :neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1044 on: November 19, 2021, 10:08:18 AM »
Tim won't know the difference in singers. Just don't rat each other out. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1045 on: November 19, 2021, 10:11:34 AM »
I mean, the only eligible stuff where the multiple singer thing is an issue is the NMB stuff. He has like 10 solo albums plus 6 from Spock's Beard where he sings all but two songs (both from Snow. And I guess there are some parts of One with Kerry Livgren singing). It can't be that hard to find something that only Neal sings to send!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1046 on: November 19, 2021, 10:13:53 AM »
I should expand on my critique in saying that it's his voice that just doesn't get me, his music is solid, albeit predictable prog. I dunno.....it just isn't clicking. I remember reviewing Momentum favorably years ago, and revisited it to very little interest on my part. :huh:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1047 on: November 19, 2021, 10:15:05 AM »
It can't be that hard to find something that only Neal sings to send!

That's not the problem; it's finding something GOOD where only Neal sings. :neverusethis:

Are there any non-instrumental Neal Morse (solo albums) songs where he doesn't sing?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1048 on: November 19, 2021, 10:17:21 AM »
It can't be that hard to find something that only Neal sings to send!

That's not the problem; it's finding something GOOD where only Neal sings. :neverusethis:

Exactly the problem I was having yesterday  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1049 on: November 19, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »
he does have a pretty awful voice, and the music he makes is pretty unremarkable and often very cheesy or corny in a way i can't enjoy, yeah. would be a bad idea to send to TAC, i think!