Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68483 times)

Offline 425

Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #980 on: November 18, 2021, 03:50:13 PM »
I've heard one C&C in my life and only heard it once.  Might take Ruslans approach as I don't want to listen to them at all lol.

About 15 years ago, I worked with a kid that knew I was a big Maiden fan. He brought in a CD and told me I'd love it. It sounded intriguing, but I couldn't get past the vocals. Really strange sound.

I agree with that person that Coheed has some significance Maiden influence. But I can't argue with the fact that Claudio Sanchez has a Geddy-Lee-tier weird voice. I suspect it's an "either it works for you or it doesn't" thing and nothing we send will change your mind, but maybe 15 years has changed things.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #981 on: November 18, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »
I've heard one C&C in my life and only heard it once.  Might take Ruslans approach as I don't want to listen to them at all lol.

About 15 years ago, I worked with a kid that knew I was a big Maiden fan. He brought in a CD and told me I'd love it. It sounded intriguing, but I couldn't get past the vocals. Really strange sound.

I agree with that person that Coheed has some significance Maiden influence. But I can't argue with the fact that Claudio Sanchez has a Geddy-Lee-tier weird voice. I suspect it's an "either it works for you or it doesn't" thing and nothing we send will change your mind, but maybe 15 years has changed things.

At about the same time, I also worked with another kid that knew I was a DT fan and he made me a copy of Deadwing and Ghost Reveries. That's how I know those albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #982 on: November 18, 2021, 04:21:03 PM »
I'm curious how many unique songs we have for this round so far   :corn

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #983 on: November 18, 2021, 04:26:03 PM »

When I saw C and C about 10 years ago, they played a cover of The Trooper. It rocked pretty good.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #984 on: November 18, 2021, 04:32:06 PM »
Of all the bands in this roulette, C&C and mastodon are the ones I know the most (both in top 5 bands for me). I'm honestly struggling to think of what to send because I want to make sure Tim likes the songs, and that's going to be hard  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline 425

« Reply #985 on: November 18, 2021, 05:30:12 PM »

At about the same time, I also worked with another kid that knew I was a DT fan and he made me a copy of Deadwing and Ghost Reveries. That's how I know those albums.

Interesting. So do you know those albums pretty well? That, in my opinion, would make both those artists really tough nuts to crack, because those strike me as the albums from each of them that would be most likely to appeal to you.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #986 on: November 18, 2021, 05:30:30 PM »
I have to admit, I find it strange when people that love 70's era Rush rag on Claudio's voice.

For me, it was nothing because he reminded me of early Ged.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #987 on: November 18, 2021, 05:33:48 PM »
I find it a little strange, but not totally crazy. I find their voices similar, but not the same. Personally I like most of what Claudio does, but I merely tolerate early Geddy (I think he takes a significant step forward on A Farewell to Kings and then another significant step forward on Permanent Waves).
And if spirit's a sign,

Online HOF

« Reply #988 on: November 18, 2021, 06:04:08 PM »
I have to admit, I find it strange when people that love 70's era Rush rag on Claudio's voice.

For me, it was nothing because he reminded me of early Ged.

I’m a Rush fan who tolerates more than loves Geddy’s 70s vocal style. My memory of C and C was that his voice sounded artificial in some way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #989 on: November 18, 2021, 06:06:31 PM »

Interesting. So do you know those albums pretty well? That, in my opinion, would make both those artists really tough nuts to crack, because those strike me as the albums from each of them that would be most likely to appeal to you.

So I do know Ghost Reveries pretty well. That album did stick with me, but the band did not. I listened to their follow up once and couldn't tell you the first thing about it. And I have heard Heritage a few times.

I don't like Michael Akerfeldt. As much as I don't care for his harsh vocals, his cleans are worse. That is my memory, so we'll see if anything has changed.

As far as Deadwing goes, I remember liking Arriving Somewhere and The Start of something Beautiful, though I've heard neither in a dozen years.  I don't remember like very much of it at all. But again, we're talking 12-15 years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #990 on: November 18, 2021, 06:14:13 PM »
I'm curious how many unique songs we have for this round so far   :corn

Submitting my weekly post...

I'll post stats once Stadler submits.

;D

Offline faizoff

« Reply #991 on: November 18, 2021, 07:18:11 PM »
Regarding Coheed's vocals, it's similar to the band 3, Joey Eppard sounds like Claudio's brother. Though fun fact I guess Joey's brother played/plays drums for Coheed.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #992 on: November 18, 2021, 07:36:25 PM »
I don't like Michael Akerfeldt. As much as I don't care for his harsh vocals, his cleans are worse. That is my memory, so we'll see if anything has changed.

What?!?!

Tim's a lost cause  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #993 on: November 18, 2021, 07:51:40 PM »
well, that tidbit of information barely if at all affects my two picks  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #994 on: November 18, 2021, 07:53:20 PM »

Instrumentals are banned. ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #995 on: November 18, 2021, 07:56:38 PM »
So...I'm about 10 songs in so far and it hit me. BTBAM is basically Death Metal Haken.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #996 on: November 18, 2021, 08:27:53 PM »

this, also, does not affect my two picks

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #997 on: November 18, 2021, 09:52:37 PM »
So...I'm about 10 songs in so far and it hit me. BTBAM is basically Death Metal Haken.

Metalcore Haken*
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #998 on: November 18, 2021, 09:55:02 PM »

Metalcore Haken*
I mean, they haven't really been metalcore since Alaska...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #999 on: November 18, 2021, 09:57:41 PM »

What?!?!

Tim's a lost cause  :biggrin:

Tell me about it. This makes me just want to send their cover of Soldier Of Fortune. Mikael is sublime on that track. Even my wife was blown away by it and she is not into metal or Opeth in any way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #1000 on: November 18, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
Was listening to Damnation the other night, and I thought Akerfeldt sounds a good bit like Ross Jennings actually.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: November 18, 2021, 10:18:32 PM »

How dare you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1002 on: November 18, 2021, 10:37:20 PM »

Metalcore Haken*
I mean, they haven't really been metalcore since Alaska...

I mean, they're progressive metalcore. Closer than death metal!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1003 on: November 18, 2021, 11:16:06 PM »
there is really very, very little metalcore left in them if at all. the type of harsh vocals giles does and that's probably about it. death metal is definitely closer to accurate but in many ways they're practically just a prog metal band that has some harsh vocals at this point

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1004 on: November 19, 2021, 01:17:26 AM »
there is really very, very little metalcore left in them if at all. the type of harsh vocals giles does and that's probably about it. death metal is definitely closer to accurate but in many ways they're practically just a prog metal band that has some harsh vocals at this point
Pretty much this
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1005 on: November 19, 2021, 01:27:13 AM »
Was listening to Damnation the other night, and I thought Akerfeldt sounds a good bit like Ross Jennings actually.

This I don't hear at all. If Akerfeldt sounds like anyone it's David Coverdale imo, at least in his lower register, but really only a little bit.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1006 on: November 19, 2021, 01:28:15 AM »

Which is actually a shame, because I would have sent you Nil by Mouth in the Haken round.

Does Opeth have instrumentals? Apart from Patterns in the Ivy I honestly can’t think of anything off the top of my head.
EDIT: Just checked.. I wasn’t really counting album openers, but there’s more of them.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: November 19, 2021, 04:09:07 AM »
I'm kind of with Tim in regards to Arkerfeldts clean vox.  I never quite understood the praise they get.  I don't really have a big issue with them, but I've always felt he's pretty plain with his clean vocals.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1008 on: November 19, 2021, 06:08:20 AM »
I'm kind of with Tim in regards to Arkerfeldts clean vox.  I never quite understood the praise they get.  I don't really have a big issue with them, but I've always felt he's pretty plain with his clean vocals.

It feels like it’s fairly common with most harsh vocalists, no? Looking at Mastodon as well.

The cleans that I’ve heard so far in this round aren’t actually that bad.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1009 on: November 19, 2021, 06:15:31 AM »

I've always kinda liked them, but he's obviously no Dickinson, LaBrie, Mercury etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1010 on: November 19, 2021, 06:39:42 AM »

I've always kinda liked them, but he's obviously no Dickinson, LaBrie, Mercury etc.

Thanks for clearing that up, Harry.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1011 on: November 19, 2021, 06:49:49 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1012 on: November 19, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
 :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1013 on: November 19, 2021, 07:08:45 AM »
I'm glad to see my silliness is spreading.  Dare I say I'm like a (Haken) Virus?  :neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: November 19, 2021, 07:56:37 AM »

Yeah I'm doing this for C&C too even though I own the Good Apollo I'm Morning Star IV: The Writing Writer album. Also doing this with Neal Morse and Mastodon as I only own Crack the Skye.

Neal has so many albums I'll probably have to use a d20! :lol

I think Mikael's cleans are quite good. I actually planned on sending songs with cleans and I think I'll stick with that anyway.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.