Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68349 times)

Offline Zoom E

Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #770 on: November 15, 2021, 11:28:10 PM »
HOF, the instrumental version of Affinity IS on Spotify.

I can hear the subtleties in Lapse. Especially early in the song. But I generally don't listen to instrumental music. If a band includes one on an album, fine.

I never listened to the instrumental version of Affinity until one day I accidentally popped it into my car CD player, thinking it was the regular version. Turned out I really enjoyed the instrumental version as the riffs seemed heavier and crunchy. That said, I have never gone back and relistened to it.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #771 on: November 16, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »
Wow! Holy shit![Nocturnal Conspiracy]

One of the mellower songs, but has a nice steady pace and build. [Deathless]

Seems like I didn't send the wrong songs this time.  :metal :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #772 on: November 16, 2021, 03:58:40 AM »
Unless I was thinking Wow holy shit this is awful.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #773 on: November 16, 2021, 04:13:46 AM »
Even though I just posted First Impressions today, I am now basically 4 plays through the songs.

I thought I'd share where I am with this.

I really enjoyed my first couple of listens. The music is really good, the hate on the vocals was overrated, and the songs were pretty strong.

I am noticing some warts though.

There's a reason Dream Theater are the standard bearers of this genre. Mostly, it's Dream Theater's musicality. They are melodically superior while still displaying virtuosic chops. And for me, they have a vocalist that pulls emotion out of me.

1. Seems like Ross is a lightning rod around here.  The positive.. I think he sounds fine. He's an excellent vocalist with range and variation. I don't have an issue with his voice.

BUT... I'm not saying he doesn't sing with passion, because I think he does, but for the most part, it's not really drawing it out of me. There's a handful of melodic choruses that are really effective though, but not every song is blessed with one.

2. The keyboards... Again, my point of reference is again, Dream Theater. No one is more wanky than Jordan, but 95% of the time, he's doing what is right for the song. I think of the brilliant piano outro to Transcending Time. There's nothing even remotely as moving in these songs. As much as Jordan stands out, his accompaniment is amazing. With Haken, I feel like this guy has no idea how to...blend. I don't mind keyboards in my music, but there's a tastefulness that is lacking generally. There ARE exceptions to this though. But generally..
And I am frankly not a fan of electronic elements in my music. 7:15 of ITNOG is as much electronica as I want in my music.

3. I'm hearing low tuned guitars. That is grating.

4. The drumming is fantastic, as is the bassist.

Okay, we are making progress.  Thought we totally lost you Tim.

DT are indeed the gold standard.  Nothing else really comes close.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #774 on: November 16, 2021, 04:30:42 AM »
Honestly I woke up this morning and  wanted to hear Anneke song some Devin tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #775 on: November 16, 2021, 04:35:49 AM »
Honestly I woke up this morning and  wanted to hear Anneke song some Devin tunes.

Exactly.  Haken may sound pretty and all but to me they have zero substance.  I can see right through them I tell ya.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #776 on: November 16, 2021, 04:52:49 AM »
When I listen to Haken, it makes me appreciate Dream Theater that much more, i.e. ... why am I listening to this when I could be listening to DT?

This is how I feel about current-day DT!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #777 on: November 16, 2021, 08:09:59 AM »

I feel like my work here is complete.   :) :) :)

(Her latest solo album is a treasure as well.) 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #778 on: November 16, 2021, 08:39:39 AM »
Anneke is good and all but honestly Ché is where it's at. :)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #779 on: November 16, 2021, 08:52:12 AM »
2. The keyboards... Again, my point of reference is again, Dream Theater. No one is more wanky than Jordan, but 95% of the time, he's doing what is right for the song. I think of the brilliant piano outro to Transcending Time. There's nothing even remotely as moving in these songs. As much as Jordan stands out, his accompaniment is amazing. With Haken, I feel like this guy has no idea how to...blend. I don't mind keyboards in my music, but there's a tastefulness that is lacking generally. There ARE exceptions to this though. But generally..
And I am frankly not a fan of electronic elements in my music. 7:15 of ITNOG is as much electronica as I want in my music.

Can we pretend the last minute of Drowning in the Flood doesn't exist?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #780 on: November 16, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »

Can we pretend the last minute of Drowning in the Flood doesn't exist?

While we’re at it, let’s pretend the first six and half minutes don’t exist either.  ;D

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #781 on: November 16, 2021, 09:19:05 AM »
Nope!

I can't wait until we get to the bands I don't know so I have no emotional investment in how well the songs will do. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #782 on: November 16, 2021, 09:20:06 AM »
This is not the roulette to have emotional investment.  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #783 on: November 16, 2021, 11:01:35 AM »
I will have no emotional investment in the next round, since I have literally never heard a single note of a Between the Buried and Me song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: November 16, 2021, 11:10:21 AM »

Never did.  :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #785 on: November 16, 2021, 11:57:42 AM »

In this thread we eat more than 4 chocolate covered almonds in a month. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #786 on: November 16, 2021, 11:59:00 AM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #787 on: November 16, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »

In this thread we eat more than 4 chocolate covered almonds in a month. :P

I already had 5 today!  :P

If you ain't exercising, stay out of our thread!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #788 on: November 16, 2021, 12:35:41 PM »
Bye!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #789 on: November 16, 2021, 12:50:25 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #790 on: November 16, 2021, 12:55:50 PM »
Speaking of nuts.......

I'll let myself out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #791 on: November 16, 2021, 01:09:32 PM »
Speaking of nuts.......

I'll let myself out.

Zip that back up!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #792 on: November 16, 2021, 02:09:14 PM »
So my yesterday comments not withstanding...I'm listening to day after work, even scratching together some writeups.

In a way, I feel I've broken through. I've done 4 songs so far and I have really enjoyed them. They all have one large pimple on them. But they are at least making a lot more sense.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #793 on: November 16, 2021, 02:18:44 PM »
Broken through, or broken down?

Or just plain broken?

Online faizoff

« Reply #794 on: November 16, 2021, 02:20:29 PM »
Probably considered by most as Haken's wussy song but I absolutely love Earthrise. It's in my top 5 tracks by Haken.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #795 on: November 16, 2021, 02:21:27 PM »
Honestly both Devin and Haken have a lot of overlap with bands TAC likes so I'm not surprised he's digging them. If he starts saying this stuff for Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson then we'll know for sure it's stockholm syndrome.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #796 on: November 16, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
Honestly both Devin and Haken have a lot of overlap with bands TAC likes so I'm not surprised he's digging them. If he starts saying this stuff for Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson then we'll know for sure it's stockholm syndrome.

:lol

Muse round!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #797 on: November 16, 2021, 02:25:19 PM »
Broken through, or broken down?

Or just plain broken?

Nah. There's a lot of good songs and some amazing passages.

Offline 425

« Reply #798 on: November 16, 2021, 02:27:41 PM »

I'm just going to send Wilson songs that I like (don't listen to him much anymore, but there are a few that I still hold in high regard) without even imagining for a minute that they'll cross the 4/10 threshold.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #799 on: November 16, 2021, 02:30:28 PM »
As one of the biggest Haken fans here, and certainly the longest standing, there's a bunch of stuff I'd like to respond to while I can before we get to results and move onto the next band. :lol

I really enjoyed my first couple of listens. The music is really good, the hate on the vocals was overrated, and the songs were pretty strong.
As before, absolutely delighted with this.

There's a reason Dream Theater are the standard bearers of this genre. Mostly, it's Dream Theater's musicality. They are melodically superior while still displaying virtuosic chops.
Tastes is tastes, for sure. Personally, I find Haken's melodic approach more interesting (or perhaps better to say more consistently interesting) than DT's. DT's approach is somewhat rooted in classic rock (I don't mean that in a reductive way at all and obviously they bring in lots of other influences), whereas Haken's leans more into both melancholy and, for want of a better word, unusual territories. Some of their big, sad choruses are just so beautiful and get me more than any DT song. But some are less immediate and even as a huge fan I'm not normally sold straight away, but I basically always completely come around after listening enough.

And for me, they have a vocalist that pulls emotion out of me.

1. Seems like Ross is a lightning rod around here.  The positive.. I think he sounds fine. He's an excellent vocalist with range and variation. I don't have an issue with his voice.

BUT... I'm not saying he doesn't sing with passion, because I think he does, but for the most part, it's not really drawing it out of me.
Again tastes is tastes, but it's worth noting that the submissions in this round have been very focused towards the heavier end of their music. You've got Deathless and Ross sounds good there but his voice wasn't as strong on those first two albums. But The Mountain and Affinity in particular have some gentler and more delicate moments and I think he delivers them with a ton of emotion.

I can understand this. I'm not a huge fan of Diego, but I do love his sound design work on Affinity. But if you're not into the electronics, I can see how even that might not appeal consistently.

There's a mix but yeah they do often use 7- and 8-string guitars. Quite a modern style I guess. I have no problem with it.

They've had two bassists, both awesome, and yeah Ray is a great drummer and has got better and better with each album.

When I first sampled Haken (courtesy of some posts way back when by Arich), I thought they sounded interesting enough that I went out and bought their first album, Aquarius, reckoning that they'd be right in my wheelhouse. Then I listened to the album. 

For me, the music seemed to meander pointlessly. To use a classic TAC phrase, "the music didn't really go anywhere". I didn't hear any songs, just arrangements (extremely well-played, I'll grant) that moved from section to section without any point of reference for me grasp.
That was definitely an issue with Aquarius, and it's the main reason it's easily my least favourite of theirs. The first three songs in particular just don't really have any structure and they just all run from one to the next. Their songwriting is much more structured and focused now, especially from The Mountain onwards (apart from the Messiah Complex suite but that was intentionally bonkers).

I have to say though that on this point, I don't really get the DT comparison. Taking in their whole catalogues, I think DT have done a lot more of that meandering in their songwriting. Perhaps rarely as much so as those three opening songs from Aquarius, but they do it more often IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline 425

« Reply #800 on: November 16, 2021, 02:36:10 PM »
When I first sampled Haken (courtesy of some posts way back when by Arich), I thought they sounded interesting enough that I went out and bought their first album, Aquarius, reckoning that they'd be right in my wheelhouse. Then I listened to the album. 

For me, the music seemed to meander pointlessly. To use a classic TAC phrase, "the music didn't really go anywhere". I didn't hear any songs, just arrangements (extremely well-played, I'll grant) that moved from section to section without any point of reference for me grasp.
That was definitely an issue with Aquarius, and it's the main reason it's easily my least favourite of theirs. The first three songs in particular just don't really have any structure and they just all run from one to the next. Their songwriting is much more structured and focused now, especially from The Mountain onwards (apart from the Messiah Complex suite but that was intentionally bonkers).

I have to say though that on this point, I don't really get the DT comparison. Taking in their whole catalogues, I think DT have done a lot more of that meandering in their songwriting. Perhaps rarely as much so as those three opening songs from Aquarius, but they do it more often IMO.

I fully get why someone would object to this about Aquarius, but I personally embrace the weirdness and the meandering. To me it's just a beautiful little oddball album that's totally unlike anything else (people say their first two albums are heavily DT-inspired... I see that for Visions, but not for Aquarius).
And if spirit's a sign,

Online HOF

« Reply #801 on: November 16, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
Probably considered by most as Haken's wussy song but I absolutely love Earthrise. It's in my top 5 tracks by Haken.

That’s the third song I considered sending. Didn’t think TAC would like it, but I think it’s pretty great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #802 on: November 16, 2021, 02:46:34 PM »

I fully get why someone would object to this about Aquarius, but I personally embrace the weirdness and the meandering. To me it's just a beautiful little oddball album that's totally unlike anything else (people say their first two albums are heavily DT-inspired... I see that for Visions, but not for Aquarius).
Agreed about the DT comparison.

I definitely don't mind weirdness and quirkiness - Messiah Complex is crazier than any of the early stuff and I love it. My comments about Aquarius were very much relative, and I still love the album. I just like all the others more.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #803 on: November 16, 2021, 02:47:00 PM »

That’s the third song I considered sending. Didn’t think TAC would like it, but I think it’s pretty great.
Another huge Earthrise fan here, one of my favourites on Affinity.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #804 on: November 16, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »
As one of the biggest Haken fans here, and certainly the longest standing, there's a bunch of stuff I'd like to respond to while I can before we get to results and move onto the next band. :lol

As before, absolutely delighted with this.

There's a reason Dream Theater are the standard bearers of this genre. Mostly, it's Dream Theater's musicality. They are melodically superior while still displaying virtuosic chops.
Tastes is tastes, for sure. Personally, I find Haken's melodic approach more interesting (or perhaps better to say more consistently interesting) than DT's. DT's approach is somewhat rooted in classic rock (I don't mean that in a reductive way at all and obviously they bring in lots of other influences), whereas Haken's leans more into both melancholy and, for want of a better word, unusual territories. Some of their big, sad choruses are just so beautiful and get me more than any DT song. But some are less immediate and even as a huge fan I'm not normally sold straight away, but I basically always completely come around after listening enough.

And for me, they have a vocalist that pulls emotion out of me.

BUT... I'm not saying he doesn't sing with passion, because I think he does, but for the most part, it's not really drawing it out of me.
Again tastes is tastes, but it's worth noting that the submissions in this round have been very focused towards the heavier end of their music. You've got Deathless and Ross sounds good there but his voice wasn't as strong on those first two albums. But The Mountain and Affinity in particular have some gentler and more delicate moments and I think he delivers them with a ton of emotion.

I can understand this. I'm not a huge fan of Diego, but I do love his sound design work on Affinity. But if you're not into the electronics, I can see how even that might not appeal consistently.

There's a mix but yeah they do often use 7- and 8-string guitars. Quite a modern style I guess. I have no problem with it.

They've had two bassists, both awesome, and yeah Ray is a great drummer and has got better and better with each album.

;D

Just kidding. I appreciate your comments and I'll chew on them a bit!