Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68067 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #1855 on: December 07, 2021, 05:42:30 PM »
I comend the time and patience you've put into this Tim.  I definitely wouldn't have the attention span for it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1856 on: December 07, 2021, 07:45:12 PM »
It's cool. It's been totally worth it.

Anyway, finished the scratch writeups. Just have to work on final rankings and scores. I've really enjoyed this one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1857 on: December 07, 2021, 07:53:16 PM »

Anyway, finished the scratch writeups. Just have to work on final rankings and scores. I've really enjoyed this one.
Sounds like we've done our jobs!  :metal :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1858 on: December 07, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »

Sounds like we've done our jobs!  :metal :metal

Oh definitely. If I score a song 7.5, then I like it. I think there's only one song below that this round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1859 on: December 07, 2021, 08:18:41 PM »

That's awesome  :metal Coheed is a really fun band to listen to, so I'm sure you'll enjoy some of their other work.

One thing I'll add, Claudio is a hell of a front man, and their music really comes true live.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1860 on: December 07, 2021, 08:26:09 PM »
LudwigVan mentioned C&C drawing on classic rock influencers. I made a number of comparisons in the writeups..

This has a great intro, acoustic then full band. Feels like some classic metal Rainbow/Sabbath/Maiden.
Martin Era Sabbath perhaps.

The solo at 4:10 reminded me of Paul Chapman’s solo in Waysted’s Land That’s Lost The Love.

I love the garage style of classic GnR with a touch of NWOBHM.

This song reminds me of U2.

The solo section feels like Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin mashup.

The guitars at the beginning sound like something off of Unmasked.

Feels like Jimmy Page is playing underneath it.

This has a Thin Lizzy feel in the verses.

A tribute to Thin Lizzy, obviously.

This song has a real early 80’s feel to it.

The guitars remind me of Thin Lizzy.

The guitar reminds me of Janick Gers playing underneath the vocals and then by itself.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1861 on: December 07, 2021, 08:30:48 PM »
*guy who has only ever listened to Thin Lizzy, listening to another band for the first time* hmm, getting Thin Lizzy vibes off this...

(i kid but also i am familiar with like two thin lizzy songs so i don't know what to do with that comparison myself  :lol)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1862 on: December 07, 2021, 08:34:04 PM »
*guy who has only ever listened to Thin Lizzy, listening to another band for the first time* hmm, getting Thin Lizzy vibes off this...

(i kid but also i am familiar with like two thin lizzy songs so i don't know what to do with that comparison myself  :lol)

Was gonna say, I somehow missed all the songs that sound like Thin Lizzy when I was scanning the discography for things to send. But I’m also not as versed in Thin Lizzy as TAC.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1863 on: December 07, 2021, 08:38:07 PM »
Goodnight Fair Lady is "the tribute to Thin Lizzy". Musically obviously, but also lots of lyrical references. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1864 on: December 07, 2021, 10:02:56 PM »
Goodnight Fair Lady is "the tribute to Thin Lizzy". Musically obviously, but also lots of lyrical references.
I don't know why I never picked up on this before.....Learn something new every day. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1865 on: December 07, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
The Hard Sell isn’t in the roulette, but that guitar solo is all about David Gilmour.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1866 on: December 08, 2021, 06:51:19 AM »
The Hard Sell isn’t in the roulette, but that guitar solo is all about David Gilmour.

Sent it with a wild card, got eliminated  :'(

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1867 on: December 08, 2021, 07:02:09 AM »
Apparently The Hard Sell was a ...hard sell.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1868 on: December 08, 2021, 07:41:39 AM »
Ranking the Entities..

1. Domino
2. Sentry
3. Evagria

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1869 on: December 08, 2021, 08:19:54 AM »
Ranking the Entities..

1. Domino
2. Sentry
3. Evagria

Might be worth listening to the other 2 at some point, Holly Wood the Cracked and Vic the Butcher.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1870 on: December 08, 2021, 08:23:27 AM »
Sentry Evagria, oh I want to take ya
Domino, Vic, come on pretty mama

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1871 on: December 08, 2021, 08:54:28 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1872 on: December 08, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
So the scores are tallied.

Scores by round:

Devin Townsend:8.0
Haken:7.8
BTBAM:7.75
Neal Morse:7.95
C&C:8.0

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1873 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:39 PM »
Coheed > Neal Morse, confirmed  :corn
Expecting I'm getting a worse score this round than last round though  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1874 on: December 08, 2021, 04:43:56 PM »
Scoreheed & Camsults!

Professor

Welcome Home...8.0

This song certainly is good.  But I guess I had higher expectations for the most sent song.

This has a great intro, acoustic then full band. Feels like some classic metal Rainbow/Sabbath/Maiden.
Martin Era Sabbath perhaps. Not a fan of mid tempo generally. But this keeps moving. Not sure who is who, but I like the guitarist in my right ear during the solo. The gang styled chants at the end of the solo are a nice touch. This song ultimately delivers even though I was getting worried during the initial verses.

The End Complete III: The End Complete...8.6

Parts of this are metal!

Is it me, or does the “Dig Deeper” part remind me of DT’s Losing Time chorus? I love where this song goes at 2:48. Sick! The solo at 4:10 reminded me of Paul Chapman’s solo in Waysted’s Land That’s Lost The Love. Now, if we could’ve just cut off the last minute and a half…
8.0+8.6=16.6/2=8.3

Vmadera

Gravemakers & Gunslinger...8.8

Pretty cool immediate rocker.

Now this is how I like music. Up tempo. I love the garage style of classic GnR with a touch of NWOBHM.
The Hello Kitty voice in the middle call back section was a little strange though. Really excellent solo. Definite winner!

The Dark Sentencer...8.4

This is a cool song. I didn’t care for the swearing though.

This song has some similarities with Welcome Home through the first few minutes, albeit at a slightly quicker tempo. I’ am really not a fan of the use of swearing through the song though. Once,..ok, fine. Unless this is some comic book character and that’s his calling card, but even still. I love the “Welcome Home” part with the gang vocals on the beat. An excellent outro.
I like the way this ends, but it feels a tad long. Still a good song though.
8.8+8.4=19.2/2=8.6

Kingshmegland

Welcome Home...8.0

This song certainly is good.  But I guess I had higher expectations for the most sent song.

Martin Era Sabbath perhaps. Not a fan of mid tempo generally. But this keeps moving. Not sure who is who, but I like the guitarist in my right ear during the solo. The gang styled chants at the end of the solo are a nice touch. This song ultimately delivers even though I was getting worried during the initial verses.

The Dark Sentencer...8.4

This song has some similarities with Welcome Home through the first few minutes, albeit at a slightly quicker tempo. I’ am really not a fan of the use of swearing through the song though. Once,..ok, fine. Unless this is some comic book character and that’s his calling card, but even still. I love the “Welcome Home” part with the gang vocals on the beat. An excellent outro.
8.0+8.4=16.4/2=8.2

Buddy

Welcome Home...8.0

In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth:3...8.4

This is almost epic

Cool intro. Feels like something good is coming up. I like the rhythm for the verse. Another fantastic chorus. The bridge in this is cool. I love how they ramp it up, and pull it back.  From 6:53 on, it’s glorious, and reminds me of Constantine’s The Darkest Grace.
8.0+8.4=16.4/2=8.2

Romdrums

Welcome Home...8.0

Key Entity Extaction IV:Evagria The Faithful...7.6

I didn’t not like this song, but I found it a tad unexciting.

This song reminds me of U2. The thing about this song is that it starts and eventually ends, and I just can’t put my finger on what happens in the middle. It’s not unpleasant by any stretch. It’s actually quite nice, yet fairly unremarkable.
8.0+7.6=15.6/2=7.8

Cyril

No World For Tomorrow...8.0

Enjoyable song. Not sure if it’ll stand out though.

I don’t know if I have a lot of specific comments about this song, other than to say that I did like it, not love it. It might have one of my least favorite vocals too. If this was the only song I’d heard, I’m not sure I’d be convinced to follow up on C&C.

The Willing Well IV:The Final Cut...8.7

That was really nice

This features some real nice and steady guitar work. The vocal sections really do a great job of setting up the magnificent solo section. The solo section feels like Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin mashup. The solos are really powerful, and while the song doesn’t offer much deviance, that’s just fine, and this song maintains it’s quality throughout.
8.0+8.7=16.7/2=8.35

Stadler

The Dark Sentencer...8.4

Jessie’s Girl 2...7.3

WTF is this?

The guitars at the beginning sound like something off of Unmasked. But that’s all I have for this.
8.4+7.3=15.7/2=7.85

HOF

All On Fire...8.0

Not sure why….but I like this song.

Nice piano intro. Upbeat track with interesting drumming. The chorus is really strong. The bridge at 2:50 is nice bit. Feels like Jimmy Page is playing underneath it. There’s something sticky sweet about this song that I really enjoy. Kind of sneaks up on you.

Atlas...7.9

This is a nice song that needs to do a bit more to stand out.

This has a Thin Lizzy feel in the verses. Really well built chorus. Great vocal on this song. The lyrics are really interesting. The final repeated chorus is really powerful. I liked this song a little more every time I listened to it. A real grower.
8.0+7.9=15.9/2=7.95

LudwigVan

Key Entities Extraction V: Sentry The Defiant...8.0

For a relatively short song, this song has a lot of depth.

This song has a strength about it. It’s solid, but feels heavy. There’s some tasty lead licks playing behind the vocals at times. The song is a tad unremarkable in a way, yet it’s still powerful.

Goodnight Fair Lady...8.6

Thin Lizzy Round!

A tribute to Thin Lizzy, obviously. Even lyrically. Kind of like what Dangerous Toys did for Alice Cooper with Scared.
8.0+8.6=16.6/2=8.3

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1875 on: December 08, 2021, 04:44:17 PM »
Puppies

Gravity’s Union...7.7

This takes a while to get there but it’s pretty satisfying in the end.

This song begins and ends with a tortured pig. In between, we have a solid, if unspectatular song. The chorus is quite nice, and the outro part before the pig returns is really good. The lead guitar from 3:55 through next softer part is excellent.
Solid track.

The Willing Well IV:The Final Cut...8.7

That was really nice

This features some real nice and steady guitar work. The vocal sections really do a great job of setting up the magnificent solo section. The solo section feels like Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin mashup. The solos are really powerful, and while the song doesn’t offer much deviance, that’s just fine, and this song maintains it’s quality throughout.
7.7+8.7=16.4/2=8.20

No World For Tomorrow...8.0

Enjoyable song. Not sure if it’ll stand out though.

I don’t know if I have a lot of specific comments about this song, other than to say that I did like it, not love it. It might have one of my least favorite vocals too. If this was the only song I’d heard, I’m not sure I’d be convinced to follow up on C&C.

Gravity’s Union...7.7

This song begins and ends with a tortured pig. In between, we have a solid, if unspectatular song. The chorus is quite nice, and the outro part before the pig returns is really good. The lead guitar from 3:55 through next softer part is excellent.
Solid track.
8.0+7.7=15.7/2=7.85

Lonestar

The Gutter...7.6

I like where this song went in the second half.

This is really a song of two halfs. The first half is fairly forgettable, but the second half is beautiful and memorable. Perhaps, it’s not as beautiful without the first half, but I doubt it.

In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth:3...8.4

This is almost epic.

Cool intro. Feels like something good is coming up. I like the rhythm for the verse. Another fantastic chorus. The bridge in this is cool. I love how they ramp it up, and pull it back.  From 6:53 on, it’s glorious, and reminds me of Constantine’s The Darkest Grace.
7.6+8.4=16/2=8.0

Elite

Welcome Home...8.0

The Suffering...7.6

Hmm..I don’t know about this one.

This song didn’t do well on the first listen, but I must say the chorus became kind of an earworm.
8.0+7.6=15.6/2=7.8

Kwyjibo

Crossing The Frame...7.5

This feels pretty average.

This song has a real early 80’s feel to it. It’s fairly ordinary though. The bridge is really nice with the female vocals, especially the second lines when Claudio comes back in. A pleasant listen for sure.

Gravity’s Union...7.7

Solid track.
7.5+7.7=15.2/2=7.6

Ariich

Key Entity Extraction I: Domino The Destitute...8.4

This will take a few more listens to sink in.

Cool guitar intro and interesting drum pattern in the verses. The chorus in this song is amazing. The last line of it has a power metal feel to it. The bridge never loses it’s pace despite a drop in tempo. Couldn’t wait for the final chorus on this. This song doesn’t feel 8 minutes long. Really cool.

Gravity’s Union...7.7

Solid track.
8.4+7.7=16.1/2=8.05

Evermind

Welcome Home...8.0

Ten Speed (Of God’s Blood & Burial)...7.6

I suppose that sometimes it helps to actually know the song.

I was not impressed on first listen. This has gotten better with each listen though. The guitars remind me of Thin Lizzy.
8.0+7.6=15.6/2=7.8

Wolfking

Welcome Home...8.0

The Crowing...7.8

This was a bit iffy when it started, but it won me over.

This has kind of a slow (to excite, not tempo) opening. The song seems to wake up a bit around 2:10. The guitar reminds me of Jannick Gers playing underneath the vocals and then by themselves. Love the riff at 2:55. The song dips a bit in the middle, but gears back up for a satisfying ending.
8.0+7.8=15.8/2=7.9

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1876 on: December 08, 2021, 04:44:37 PM »
Round 5 Results

Vmadera...8.60
Cyril...8.35
LugwigVan...8.30
Professor...8.30
Kingshmegland...8.20
Buddy...8.20
Puppies...8.20
Ariich...8.05
Lonestar...8.00
HOF...7.95
Wolfking...7.90
Stadler...7.85
Elite...7.80
Romdrums...7.80
Evermind...7.80
Kwyjibo...7.60

Standings!

Puppies...8.60+8.15+8.25+8.35+8.20=41.55
Ariich...9.0+8.15+7.60+7.85+8.05=40.65
Cyril...7.55+8.25+7.95+8.45+8.35=40.65
VMadera...8.45+7.35+7.95+8.30+8.60=40.65
Kwyjibo...7.80+8.75+7.65+8.15=32.35+7.60=39.95
Kingshmegland...7.70+8.25+7.85+7.85+8.20=39.85
Romdrums...8.25+7.65+8.25+7.8=31.95+7.80=39.75
LudwigVan...8.35+7.55+7.35+7.90+8.30=39.45
Wolfking...7.80+7.6+8.10+8.0+7.90=39.40
425...7.90+7.40+7.65+8.45+7.85=39.25
Buddy...7.05+8.15+7.75+8.05+8.20=39.20
Professor...8.20+7.6+7.0+8.05+8.30=39.15
Stadler...8.50+7.75+7.35+7.55+7.85=39.00
Evermind...8.20+7.75+7.55+7.45=30.95+7.80=38.75
HOF...7.65+7.50+8.05+7.60+7.95=38.75
Elite...7.50+7.75+7.60+7.90+7.80=38.55
Lonestar...7.80+7.25+7.85+7.40+8.0=38.30

As always, check my math!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: December 08, 2021, 04:49:09 PM »

Does anyone actually do this?  I know I sure as hell don't.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? Scoreheed!
« Reply #1878 on: December 08, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »
Well that was unexpected! :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1879 on: December 08, 2021, 04:52:01 PM »

Does anyone actually do this?  I know I sure as hell don't.

Mistakes do get pointed out, though miraculously, it hasn't happened yet in this roulette.
For some reason, this one has been the hardest to keep straight.

Well that was unexpected! :metal

Tell me about it! :P

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1880 on: December 08, 2021, 05:02:04 PM »
Sent for Opeth.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: December 08, 2021, 05:07:07 PM »
Sent for Opeth.

Same.  Not a lot of thought for this one truthfully.  Ghost Reveries is by far the best thing from Opeth for me and not liking their later stuff, narrowed down the choices but the two songs I sent are pretty clear cut on what I enjoy from them.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1882 on: December 08, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »
Sent for Opeth.

Same.  Not a lot of thought for this one truthfully.  Ghost Reveries is by far the best thing from Opeth for me and not liking their later stuff, narrowed down the choices but the two songs I sent are pretty clear cut on what I enjoy from them.

If I was bold, I would have sent something from Orchid, but I don't think he'd care for that record. I love it, personally.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1883 on: December 08, 2021, 05:13:53 PM »
I don't think I'd care for any of them. :lol

We'll see.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1884 on: December 08, 2021, 05:14:56 PM »
Technically, yes  :rollin though second in the round overall anyways  :corn
In Keeping Secrets would totally have been my rocker pick if I felt more confident in the vocals too, woops
Sticking to my Opethy guns, I think

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1885 on: December 08, 2021, 05:29:05 PM »
I suspect my trend of doing better with bands I'm less familiar with will continue into this next round. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1886 on: December 08, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »
Technically, yes  :rollin though second in the round overall anyways  :corn
In Keeping Secrets would totally have been my rocker pick if I felt more confident in the vocals too, woops
Sticking to my Opethy guns, I think

There's a badassness about In Keeping Secrets though.

I really had no idea where No World For Tomorrow would end up when I had my first listen. But it was steadfastly solid, and I really couldn't argue much over it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1887 on: December 08, 2021, 05:31:59 PM »
I suspect my trend of doing better with bands I'm less familiar with will continue into this next round. :lol

:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: December 08, 2021, 05:45:46 PM »
Sent for Opeth.

If I was bold, I would have sent something from Orchid, but I don't think he'd care for that record. I love it, personally.

I'm definitely not bold then.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1889 on: December 08, 2021, 06:22:59 PM »
 :metal Happy to see that TAC has taken a positive shine to C&C.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa