Author Topic: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing?? MastoDONE!  (Read 68217 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Roulette V.5...DTF Faves..WTF Am I Missing??
« Reply #175 on: November 08, 2021, 08:33:32 PM »
TAC you didn’t have to make one solo Steven Wilson song a requirement… I can already tell you’re gonna regret that. :lol

I'm regretting it either way. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #176 on: November 08, 2021, 08:35:19 PM »
Did you just call me Jeffy?
Nah, this is a topic for a different thread  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: November 08, 2021, 08:38:58 PM »
The Family Circus Thread?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #178 on: November 08, 2021, 11:06:21 PM »
Yikes. That PT/SW curveball is a real problem. I never would have dreamed of sending solo SW. Was just going through my stuff and the best song that I could find (that would probably get the least hate) is an instrumental, which are banned. You are really going to hate that round.

Otherwise, I think I just have Opeth, Mastodon and NM to curate. Everything else is good to go. Killing my favorite Mastodon album (CTS) bummed me out. Plus, I think I saw you mention that you thought all the vocals were terrible regarding Hushed and Grim. Really encouraging, as that is the best I think all 3 have sounded vocally. Brann has been pretty stable. Troy has really improved, especially if you listen to his work in Gone Is Gone and Killer Be Killed. Brent has always sounded like he was trying to gargle water while singing, except for the new album where I thought he actually sounded pretty good.

Oof.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: November 08, 2021, 11:18:27 PM »
Yeah, Tim is a sucker for pain taking out PT and replacing with SW. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline 425

« Reply #180 on: November 08, 2021, 11:26:35 PM »
The only solo SW album I particularly like has almost all long songs so... I'm either sending The Pin Drop or just going for maximum suffering.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2021, 11:27:41 PM »
I don't want to listen through SW songs to try and pick something.  Haken this morning was traumatic enough.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2021, 02:41:57 AM »
Am I the only one in this entire roulette who has absolutely no problem picking out two songs for every single artist in the OP? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2021, 03:19:24 AM »
Ok. So how about this? You may send one SW song in lieu of a PT song. If you want to send TWO PT songs, that is fine.

OP has been updated.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 09, 2021, 04:01:46 AM »
Tim, that is a smart, smart move.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #185 on: November 09, 2021, 04:50:33 AM »
Tim, that is a smart, smart move.

SmartER

Nothing about this roulette is smart.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: November 09, 2021, 07:02:17 AM »
Am I the only one in this entire roulette who has absolutely no problem picking out two songs for every single artist in the OP? :lol

I have no issue with picking songs from each artist. Though to be honest, I am trying to stay away from songs I believe others will send as well, we will see how I do  :)

Question, when do we send songs for each round? is it weekly? (Sorry, first time playing)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »
I've sent my Devin and Neal Morse, and everything after that is going to be torture.  I have no real like for any of the other bands and will embark on a similar journey to my man Tim, hoping to find two songs I like enough to share.  Not holding my breath.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2021, 08:42:29 AM »
I've sent my Devin and Neal Morse, and everything after that is going to be torture.  I have no real like for any of the other bands and will embark on a similar journey to my man Tim, hoping to find two songs I like enough to share.  Not holding my breath.

And herein lies the evil genius of TAC.  So genius in fact, he outsmarted himself.

Ya'll enjoy that torture.  This is gonna be a common reaction / facial expression on many of you for the rest of the year

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #189 on: November 09, 2021, 08:54:08 AM »
I like Devin Townsend, Haken, Neal Morse, Opeth and Porcupine Tree, I like at least one record from Mastodon that isn't banned, I've listened to some BTBAM, it didn't leave an inpression but I didn't hate it either. I know nothing from Coheed, may have heard a song here or there but don't remember a thing.

I'm pretty sure I won't be tortured.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: November 09, 2021, 09:07:50 AM »

I have no issue with picking songs from each artist. Though to be honest, I am trying to stay away from songs I believe others will send as well, we will see how I do  :)

Question, when do we send songs for each round? is it weekly? (Sorry, first time playing)

You can send whenever you’re comfortable with your choices.

I am planning to have results on Fridays so if you could send for the following round no later than Monday of the following week.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: November 09, 2021, 09:20:04 AM »
Can we send Transatlantic for Morse? Asking for 15 friends.

Tell your 15 friends that there's no Transatlantic round, so no. ;D

Neal Morse or Neal Morse Band only. With Neil singing.

Um. I was going to roll the dice for Neal Morse, how am I supposed to know if it's Neal singing? :lol

Guess I'll ask you guys here since it wouldn't do to use Google in Tim's roulette.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online HOF

« Reply #192 on: November 09, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »

Um. I was going to roll the dice for Neal Morse, how am I supposed to know if it's Neal singing? :lol

Guess I'll ask you guys here since it wouldn't do to use Google in Tim's roulette.

If it’s Neal Morse solo it’s going to be him singing (there are a few guest spots here and there I suppose). He has a pretty distinctive voice so once you’ve heard it you’ll know it’s him.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2021, 09:49:04 AM »
I love all the bands, except for BTBAM whom I just don't know, so picking 2 songs would normally be easy. The problem is putting myself in Tim's headspace. Would he say this song sucks or blows or sucks and blows and which would be more preferable to him?

Like with Devin, I purposely avoided wall of sound songs since I had a feeling he would not like those. I am also trying to avoid 'popular' songs for an artist to avoid overlap, yet still trying to find something that he won't completely carpet bomb. Certainly adds some thought to the process.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline 425

« Reply #194 on: November 09, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »

You can PM me if you want. Neal solo is going to be him singing unless it's an instrumental. Neal Morse Band it's more complicated, and a lot of songs might not hit this 75% threshold, so if you're trying to take the easy way, stick with Neal solo.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
I don't want to roll a d6 so I'm definitely including NMB!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »

And herein lies the evil genius of TAC.  So genius in fact, he outsmarted himself.

Ya'll enjoy that torture.  This is gonna be a common reaction / facial expression on many of you for the rest of the year

Actually none of this I actively dislike completely. I enjoy the latter Opeth, C&C is cool from what I've heard, no issues with either NM or Mastodon. I just don't know any of their material very well

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Round 1 Solved Hangman!

Lonestar
Supercrush!
Addicted!

Kingshmegland
Stormbending
Where We Belong

Vmadera00
Kingdom
Life

Romdrums
Almost Again
Kingdom(Live)

Kwyjibo
Funeral
Planet Smasher

HOF
Life
Funeral

Buddy
Addicted!
Skesis

Puppies
Deadhead
Failure

Cyril
Stand
Sumeria

Elite
Poltergeist
Regulator

LudwigVan
Deadhead
Traveller

Evermind
Failure
March Of The Poozers

Professor Peart
Suicide
Deep Peace

Wolfking
Poltergeist
Love?

Stadler
Deep Peace (Live)
Bend It Like Bender!

Ariich
Vampira
Failure

Higher
From The Heart

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2021, 12:28:18 PM »
Will post some First Impressions shortly.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »
i see two Funeral submissions and like

you're not wrong, but also, that's a bold pick for TAC  :lol

also i was right to use my wildcard 'cause I was pretty unsure about Angel for you in particular lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2021, 12:42:03 PM »
I was pretty unsure about it too. ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2021, 12:42:26 PM »
i see two Funeral submissions and like

you're not wrong, but also, that's a bold pick for TAC  :lol

also i was right to use my wildcard 'cause I was pretty unsure about Angel for you in particular lol

Heh, I have no idea what TAC likes other than it’s usually the opposite of what I like. I listened to Ocean Machine the other morning for the first time and picked out what seemed to be the two strongest songs. Will not be surprised by a low score!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: November 09, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
also failure being the song sent three times is interesting alright

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2021, 12:49:02 PM »
Not surprised someone else submitted Kingdom. Life I was not expecting someone else to submit.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #204 on: November 09, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
Alright, time to shit talk everyone's submission.

Lonestar: Nice. I sent Addicted as well and that's one of my all-time favorites of his, so good job. :metal I find Supercrush to be a tad overrated and I wouldn't have sent two songs from the same album, but it's still a good song so you get a pass.

King: Stormbending is a nice pick; that's my favorite from Transcendence. Where We Belong is good too, but out of his entire discography... meh. At least TAC is getting more poppy songs which he probably won't like. :lol

Vmadera: Kingdom's extremely predictable, but TAC had to get it from at least someone. Life.... nah, he has better songs like that.

Romdrums: TAC might like Almost Again, but I've never been too into it myself. Kingdom again, no surprise there. Moving along.

Kwyjibo: Planet Smasher is a bizarre choice but Funeral is amazing so you're forgiven. Too bad TAC probably won't like it.

HOF: See above.

Buddy: No problems here! :metal :metal :metal :neverusethis:

Puppies: Two real slow-paced numbers here... is TAC going to stay awake through both of these? :biggrin: Both good songs, but I wouldn't have even considered Failure out of his entire discography.

Cyril: Two Deconstruction songs? Yeah, that checks out.

Elite: Both fine songs, but TAC will think Poltergeist is too heavy and Regulator is too boring. :lol

Ludwig: Traveller has a great chorus but that song has always felt borderline unfinished to me. To channel TAC a bit, the verse kinda blows.

Evermind: Poozers is a good pick, but multiple people sent Failure? Why tho?

Prof Peart: Suicide is an unexpected but solid pick. Deep Peace is a nice contrast too.

Wolfking: Not sure if TAC will be able to handle this, but props for trying. ;D

Stadler: Called Deep Peace. Figured Secret Sciences would be the other one. I do like me some Bend It Like Bender though.

Ariich: THREE people sent Failure? What the fuck.

425: Higher is okay but From The Heart? This ain't it, chief.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #205 on: November 09, 2021, 12:55:23 PM »
also failure being the song sent three times is interesting alright
Definitely, and I'm one of those who sent it. I honestly had no clue whether my picks would be typical or unique.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: November 09, 2021, 12:56:59 PM »
honestly surprised nobody else sent any of the three songs i did
y'all sending TAC this slow pretty stuff are weird. hence why the PT round is gonna be a disaster  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #207 on: November 09, 2021, 01:01:51 PM »
Excellent analysis Buddy! :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #208 on: November 09, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
Excellent analysis Buddy! :lol

Alright, time for round 2!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2021, 01:08:31 PM »
With those submissions, I should've gone with All Hail the New Flesh and Oh My Fucking God. :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.