Author Topic: The "I can't sleep" thread  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The "I can't sleep" thread
« on: May 22, 2023, 01:47:41 AM »
Well, its 3:45am in the morning and instead of tossing and turning I decided to make this thread.

Anyone else out there that has sleep issues?

Stuff like insomnia, or having trouble sleeping through the night fully, or wake up super early without an alarm?

Please feel free to share your struggles and any ways that you've overcome them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The "I can't sleep" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 04:46:52 AM »
Sunday nights do that to me. My mind can't turn off when thinking about the work week.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 05:17:03 AM »
I yo-yo a lot, especially during the week. One day I'll stay up till 3 then the next day I'll be in bed by 10pm. I look like hell those nights I stay up :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 05:58:12 AM »
I can usually stay asleep for most of the night except for maybe getting up once to pee, but because I have a mild case of apnea, I rarely get into REM sleep and get the restful sleep that is needed.  Thus, I feel tired all the time.  It doesn't help that I wake up at 5:30-6 am every single day, regardless of what time I go to bed. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 06:49:15 AM »
I almost never have this problem. Between bong rips before bed and an alarm that's got me up by 5AM seven days a week, I'm always good and tired come sleep time. Forcing myself out of bed at that hour and never taking naps almost always guarantees a solid night's sleep.

Going to bed blitzed also seems to either prevent me from dreaming entirely, or enables me not realize that I am. I used to constantly wake up because of the dreams I was having. That's not an issue anymore.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 10:14:00 AM »
I have had periods of time with insomnia.  It fucking blows.

When that happens I typically evaluate my other habits.  Am I drinking more than I should be?  Am I getting my exercise in?  Am I spending the last hour of the day in front of a screen?  Am I stressed out and not dealing with that well?

One thing that made a huge difference for me one time was getting a full body massage from my LMT.

Another helpful thing I've found is doing some guided meditation/relaxation before bed.  There is a podcast I like called Tracks to Relax that is free (just scroll past the short ad at the front).  I'm almost always asleep before the end of the episode.  The guy's voice is hypnotic AF.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 12:31:52 PM »
I usually get uninterrupted 5-6 hours of sleep from 21:00-21:30 to 2:00-3:00. Then I wake up once an hour to check how soon the alarm (set for 4:50) will ring. I thought extensive running would help to sleep more soundly but I found sometimes it's even worse if I've been running that day, sometimes I wouldn't be able to fall asleep in the evening for an hour or so.

Weekends I usually go to bed at 23:00 and wake up at 4:00-4:30, then sleep two or three more hours, then I wake up for good.

Speaking of which, it's 21:30 so I'm going to sleep. :biggrin:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.