Author Topic: ADTOE appreciation thread  (Read 3445 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
ADTOE appreciation thread
« on: November 06, 2021, 06:57:26 AM »
I can't believe this thread doesn't exist (or is it that I couldn't find it? If it already exists, you can delete it). Anyway, I loved this album from day one and still do. It is truly a melodic marvel from top to bottom. Until today it excites me. I'm sure time will recognize it as one of DT's best. This is my current playlist:

1-   Bridges in the sky
2-   Build me up, break me down
3-   Lost not forgotten
4-   This is the life
5-   Breaking all illusions
6-   Beneath the surface
7-   On the backs of angels
8-   Outcry
9-   Far from heaven
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 05:42:09 PM by JediKnight1969 »
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: A dramatic turn of events, appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2021, 07:06:09 AM »
Isn't it 10 years old this year ?

Anyway I thought it was a big step in the right direction after the previous two albums of treading water.

Octavarium is their high point for me. Systematic was the lowest point - then every subsequent album was incrementally a little better  - and i'd put A View From The Top... on the same level

as Distance Over Time.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 07:24:44 AM »
I think this record is excellent. The curious thing is that in the group about the band that I was part of, some of us were waiting for a record more or less with the characteristics of this album. It came but the discussion/appreciation of the album was hampered by the absence of MP, presence of MM, production, etc. The music was somewhat left out IMO. That was a shame.

I recently listened to the record again and I can say that I like all the tracks, including BMU, BMD that many don't like and I always considered it the weakest point. But I found myself enjoying it a lot.

BITS, LNF, Outcry and BAI are the big highlights... but I also really like all the songs.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 08:12:37 AM »
I can't believe this thread doesn't exist (or is it that I couldn't find it? If it already exists, you can delete it).

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27400

We have a pinned thread at the top of this subforum for  specific threads on albums, songs, and other specific topics about DT. Its an old thread but full of discussion regarding ADTOE.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 08:25:20 AM »
Top tier DT. Only BMUBMD and FFH are less-than-stellar (for me).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 08:42:31 AM »
Pretty much a perfect album. The right album to release at the right time. It is my personal favorite DT album but I have to admit a little bias on my part. After a few years of struggling, I was making progress, I had a decent job, and I was able to do whatever I wanted including things like buy M&G tickets. This tour was DT at their best and the concert I saw still remains one of my all time greatest concert experiences.

A week later I met my wife and started dragging her to DT concerts.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »
BitS was such a great show opener that tour. Minimally a 9/10 album, loved it on first listen. The ballads are a little “breathy” but excellent songs (this is the life is a stand out)

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »
My number 2 after Scenes. Every song is great. Sometimes I don't want to hear ballads, so I will skip those. But those are favorites too!.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 11:58:03 AM »
I think the ballads/slower songs are really strong on this one.  I think Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions are the best songs, but I think the next best three are Beneath the Surface, This Is the Life and Far from Heaven.  That is a really strong top 5.  And then the rest all ranges from good to solid.  Good album, I dig it.  I have issues with the sound of it, but this is an appreciation thread, so I will not expand on that.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 12:03:43 PM »
I think the ballads/slower songs are really strong on this one.  I think Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions are the best songs, but I think the next best three are Beneath the Surface, This Is the Life and Far from Heaven.  That is a really strong top 5.

Yeah, I agree with this!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »
I think the ballads/slower songs are really strong on this one.  I think Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions are the best songs, but I think the next best three are Beneath the Surface, This Is the Life and Far from Heaven.  That is a really strong top 5.  And then the rest all ranges from good to solid.  Good album, I dig it.  I have issues with the sound of it, but this is an appreciation thread, so I will not expand on that.

Same here. The other songs that you didn’t mention have soured with me over the years. I think this album is now probably the weakest of the Mangini era in my opinion.  I think each album over the last decade has been stronger the one before it. I’m not sure about View, though.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:42:03 PM by ThatOneGuy2112 »

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2021, 05:03:59 PM »
It's so crazy ADTOE is a decade old. This album is amazing in my opinion -- so many great choruses, riffs, melodies. The ballads are all super strong and the lyrics are good mostly from start to finish. The only dud was Build Me Up but it can be ignored since ever other song on the album is awesome.

It was the right album at the right time for me. I felt DT was in a musical ditch for 3 albums after BCSL, and then ADTOE comes along after a pivotal moment in the band's history, and you get a record that very obviously calls back to the one that started it all: I&W. While they obviously borrowed a lot from I&W in structure, the songs still felt fresh: I couldn't imagine and of those tunes being on 6 preceding albums.

I just watched the live version of BAI (4th Wall) last night for the first time in a while: it's amazing and I played with myself.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 05:24:49 PM »
I love this album more and more as the years go by. Even outside of the context of its creation it's a fantastic record but when you then throw in the uncertainty of the times, MP's abrupt departure, the 'split' in the fanbase (very silly to recall it now but it actually was a thing, trust me on that as an MP Forum refugee)...to produce an album of such confidence in their abilities and strengths, so melodic, so immaculately composed and played was extraordinary. I have so much love for this album, not only for the music but for the statement it made: "We still love what we do and we're world class at doing it; here's the evidence..." There's something about ending this whole grand journey of a record with a beautiful ballad that I just find so...I dunno, I'll use the word again: confident.

I like every song on it but I also made an abridged version for when I want a 'brief' 50-odd minute dose of classic DT:

1. On the Backs of Angels
2. Bridges in the Sky
3. Outcry
4. Far From Heaven
5. Breaking All Illusions
6. Beneath The Surface

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2021, 06:04:32 PM »
I love every song other than BMUBMD. I am glad James does not try to yell on the new album. lol. Plus, the song souned like Rammstein at points.

The two things I wish this album had better was the production and MM performance. I can't blame him though. He was literally just hired and put in a crazy tense spot. I also believed that he just played the parts that JP wrote prior to him joining.

Having said all that, it was a killer album minus the one song. On The Back's of Angels always seemed a bit weak to me as well. Lost not Forgotten is the one I go back to the most.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

• PR permission
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
What's wrong with MMs performance?

Offline svisser

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 08:31:39 PM »
What's wrong with MMs performance?

For lack of a better word (and I wish I had a better word lol), it was boring to me.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline svisser

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 09:35:18 PM »
granted, that might be more on how quiet the drums are on the mix.
         Into an ocean
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2021, 04:50:39 AM »
Yes the drums are a bit weak and quiet and drenched in reverb.

If Portnoy hadn't quit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrW-gOLvWZE

Offline Trav86

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2021, 06:40:01 AM »
Yes the drums are a bit weak and quiet and drenched in reverb.

If Portnoy hadn't quit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrW-gOLvWZE

It’s crazy watching this guy. He has the Portnoyisms down.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

• PR permission
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2021, 07:28:47 AM »
Wow...this is my first time seeing this guy's channel. As far as the DT covers are concerned, that his thing (what if MP played...) or is he just a really good drummer who has been influenced by MP?

I really liked his Alien cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a2oFXKbJaA or with band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av6tcJxx0kg

If you compare it to MM's  ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFx19PMxGTc ) you can hear a pretty big stylistic difference. Both are good, though obviously the crispness and fluidity, among other things, in the MM version are on another level, even at 110% speed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 07:33:56 AM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »
Call me crazy, but it feels in really poor taste to constantly post "this is what it would sound like if Portnoy had played on it" crap, especially in what is supposed to be an appreciation thread.  Because nothing screams appreciation like, "here is what it would have sounded like if the original drummer had played on it," by linking to a copycat nobody who mimics his style.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 08:15:53 AM »
Call me crazy, but it feels in really poor taste to constantly post "this is what it would sound like if Portnoy had played on it" crap, especially in what is supposed to be an appreciation thread.  Because nothing screams appreciation like, "here is what it would have sounded like if the original drummer had played on it," by linking to a copycat nobody who mimics his style.

Can't agree more. People: please stop with the drumming thing on this album. We all know the technical story behind this recording. Let's appreciate the music: composing, arrangements, melody, execution, passion.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2021, 08:56:48 AM »

I like every song on it but I also made an abridged version for when I want a 'brief' 50-odd minute dose of classic DT:

1. On the Backs of Angels
2. Bridges in the Sky
3. Outcry
4. Far From Heaven
5. Breaking All Illusions
6. Beneath The Surface

Never thought to shorten this one, but that is a killer version. Going to try that out

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 10:27:51 AM »

Can't agree more. People: please stop with the drumming thing on this album. We all know the technical story behind this recording. Let's appreciate the music: composing, arrangements, melody, execution, passion.

My point was thought that i'm glad Portnoy left as his style had gotten really stale and not to sh-t on Mangini. It's just a fun What If...?

Also to highlight that MP had such a recognisable style that someone is able to play entire songs as MP and have it sound exactly like what he would have played.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2021, 12:29:46 PM »
I don’t really have a personal ranking of DT albums, but I do enjoy this one a lot, and it has a ton of replay value for me.

I think it was a bold choice to have two ballads (FFH, BTS), and to finish with BTS when perhaps folks were expecting a big closing epic.

BAI is of course fantastic, but I don’t seem to have the same love for Bridges as everyone else seems to. Not sure why, but it doesn’t do very much for me.

My only “what if” is I’d love to hear this album with A View’s production. It would be incredible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2021, 12:36:58 PM »
I do know that the songs that everyone thinks are :o omg amazing - i find  :\ Ehhhhhh?

And the songs I really love like The Answer Lies Within and This Is The Life - they're usually the ones EVERYONE hates.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2021, 12:55:55 PM »
I know the feeling! Nothing wrong with those two song though.   :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2021, 02:59:19 PM »
Here's my perfect version.  Sorry, but BTS and FFH didn't make the cut.

On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Lost Not Forgotten
This Is the Life
Bridges In the Sky
Outcry
Breaking All Illusions
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TheCountOfNYC

Re: ADTOE appreciation thread
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2021, 06:22:19 PM »
Here’s my version. I excluded Build Me Up Break Me Down because, I’ve said this before, while Dream Theater doesn’t have a bad song, BMUBMD is as close as they come, and its far and away my least favorite DT song.

Bridges in the Sky
This is the Life
Lost Not Forgotten
On the Backs of Angels
Outcry
Far From Heaven
Breaking All Illusions
Beneath the Surface
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2021, 07:35:55 PM »
ADTOE is a top 5 DT album for me, and the live show I saw on the tour for this album blew me away. Great memories.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 10:00:44 PM »
Isn't it 10 years old this year ?

That’s unreal to think about. How time has flied! This was the first album they released after I got into the band. It’s wonderful and holds up today.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 10:47:42 PM »
Definietely on the upper side of DT catalogue IMO.

My ranking of the tracks would be:

1. Outcry
2. Breaking All Illusions
3. Lost Not Forgotten
4. Bridges In The Sky
5. Far From Heaven
6. This Is The Life
7. On The Backs Of Angels

8. Build Me Up Break Me Down
9. Beneath The Surface

(cut 8/9 please  :mehlin )

I say Outcry is that good that it would still be one of their best songs in the past 10 years even without the instrumental section.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2021, 08:47:45 AM »
New favourite playlist:

1-   Outcry
2-   Bridges in the sky
3-   This is the life
4-   Breaking all illusions
5-   Beneath the surface
6-   Build me up, break me down
7-   Lost not forgotten
8-   Far from heaven
9-   On the backs of angels

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2021, 09:18:07 AM »
EASILY the BEST album of the "Mangini era". The most recent AVFTTOTW comes somewhat close, but ADTOE is just a fantastic album! :hefdaddy