Poll

Which album has WORSE sounding drums?

Images and Words (I&W)
21 (24.1%)
Dream Theater (DT12)
66 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Which album has WORSE sounding drums?  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Which album has WORSE sounding drums?
« on: November 04, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
Well?

For me, the drum sound on I&W was so dated it actually inhibited my interest for the longest time. After I got into DT in 2000, I liked almost every album more than I&W. I finally got over it but still don't care for the drums.

DT12 I find in the same vein except I actually kinda like the odd sounding snare and love some of the other sounds like the cracking of the, I think, mounted toms. I remember somebody on this forum saying they actually like the I&W sound which I had trouble understanding. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like DT12's drums and I'm glad they corrected the sound after that album but for me, it's kind of a slice in time that makes DT12 standout.

Offline erwinrafael

Re: Which album has WORSE sounding drums?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »
As much as I would like to vote Images and Words, what they did to Mangini's cymbals in DT12, more than the snare sound, is what is making me vote for DT12. What AVFTTOTW showed us is that Mangini does good cymbal work, if you can actually hear it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
I know "worse" is simply a comparator, and is not itself an indicator of overall quality, but I can't really vote.  I don't have a major problem with the drum sound on either album.  Yeah, the triggered drum sound on I&W makes it sound artificial.  But it is what it is, and it is just kinda part of that album's "signature sound."  It doesn't really distract me because it was just "there" back when I first got into the band back in '92. 

I have never had a problem with the drum sound itself on DT12, and for the handful of fans that have loudly proclaimed through the years that the drum sound is "bad," I just don't hear what you are hearing.  As far as the cymbal work being buried in the mix, yeah, I have a BIG problem with that.  But by the same token, I don't really dwell on it because I don't know what it is that I'm missing, since I can't hear it, if that makes sense. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
My opinion is biased based on how much I like each album or how much I don't like DT12.  Sure the drums are dated on I&W, but it's a way better album so it doesn't really matter.  If the drums are better on DT12, that won't change the fact that I only like 3 songs on that album.  So, from purely a drumming standpoint, I can't submit a vote. :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 10:11:44 AM »
Dream Theater definitely. Images and Words is triggered but it only sounds triggered. The snare sound works for the music.

The DT12 snare ruins songs.

As I've said before - I might have enjoyed Along For The Ride more - but then you get a nice soft ballad with DOOF DOOF DOOF !!!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 10:29:15 AM »
Actually I just listened to Along For The Ride and the snare sounds even WORSE than I remember.

It sounds like the snare is not only detuned but turned off . It sounds like a tom FFS.

Oh and It still annoys me how Jordan's moog solo comes in a 16th note late.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »
It sounds like the snare is not only detuned but turned off . It sounds like a tom FFS.

???  Why is that a problem?

It's funny because it really does almost sound like a glitch.  But he plays it that way live, so it is clearly intentional.  Jordan outprogged the prog fans.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 10:39:48 AM »

???  Why is that a problem?

It's funny because it really does almost sound like a glitch.  But he plays it that way live, so it is clearly intentional.  Jordan outprogged the prog fans.  :lol

probably cause *I* said it....

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 12:07:20 PM »
DT12 is much worse to me. One of the few albums bad production actively hurts it. And its not just the drums.
Images and Words is just a product of its time. Dt12 they had no excuse with the money available and creative freedoms.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
DT12 is much worse to me. One of the few albums bad production actively hurts it. And its not just the drums.
Images and Words is just a product of its time. Dt12 they had no excuse with the money available and creative freedoms.

Exactly. The producer on Images was like "No. This is how its going down. Deal with it"

On Dream Theater the producer was THE BAND.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »

Exactly. The producer on Images was like "No. This is how its going down. Deal with it"

On Dream Theater the producer was THE BAND.

The producer on Dream Theater was John Petrucci. He said how it was going down.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cminor

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 12:41:16 PM »
I voted for DT12. 8 years after the release, I still find it extremely difficult to believe that they consciously chose this drum sound. I just can't imagine that JP (or anybody else in the studio) said "oh yeah, THIS is the perfect drum sound we were looking for".

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 12:54:23 PM »
Richard Chycki engineered The Astonishing as well - but he was absent on D/T and A View From The Top.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 01:46:17 PM »
Mangini has referenced in interviews that when Jimmy T started engineering (D/T) that they worked together to find the right drum sound for him. Like, the first couple of albums he didn’t have much say in it.
Can't we find the minds

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 01:59:35 PM »
Images and Words is just a product of its time.

My thoughts exactly. Same with the reverse reverb on the snare for the Awake album. It is what it is.

Personally though, I find the mix for the drums on ADTOE to be pretty bad. They were so quiet and lacked definition.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 02:26:11 PM »
Mangini has referenced in interviews that when Jimmy T started engineering (D/T) that they worked together to find the right drum sound for him. Like, the first couple of albums he didn’t have much say in it.

I also saw a recent interview with Mangini where he said the drum sound on Distance Over Time was "terrible" - which was VERY shocking. I thought he was happy with it.

I don't think he'll be happy with anything tbh. He seems very passive aggressive about his drumming.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 02:48:53 PM »

I also saw a recent interview with Mangini where he said the drum sound on Distance Over Time was "terrible" - which was VERY shocking. I thought he was happy with it.

I don't think he'll be happy with anything tbh. He seems very passive aggressive about his drumming.

Everything I’ve heard from him about the D/T drum sound has been positive.  That’s strange.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 02:52:02 PM »
I know all artists are 100% positive about their latest album for marketing / promo.. Then a year or so down the line they start talking about how they really felt about it.

...unless you're Noel Gallagher who called Be Here Now " same old pub rock bollocks "

and Shoulder of Giants " an 8/10 album. There's 2 shit songs on it "

Both during the promo cycle :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2021, 03:16:17 PM »
Easy - A Change of Seasons.......

Freakin aweful!  :tdwn

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2021, 03:36:56 PM »

Do you realize what you did there?  It's awe-ful?  Or freakin full of awe, translating to freakin awesome!  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2021, 03:42:06 PM »
awe - SOME = GREAT !

awe - FULL = TERRIBLE

Words am fun !

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2021, 05:22:55 PM »

Wrong poll.

DT12 easily for me.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 07:11:34 PM »
Man, I figured the results would be this way but not *that* skewed! I find it especially peculiar that some people can forgive the dated I&W sound because that's just what was done during that era. IMO, that makes it more unforgivable because it was just a trend that was followed as opposed to a deliberate, if not a bit odd, choice that was made during DT12.

I never really noticed it so I guess I always assumed it was his artistic choice. Already off topic but I do want to say that it is definitely one of my favorite JR solos and I normally don't pay much attention to that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 10:30:18 AM »
Definitely the self-titled, although neither is the worst drum sound in Dream Theater’s discography. Obviously When Dream and Day Unite isn’t produced particularly well, and the drums are no exception. A Change of Seasons has one of the worst snare drum sounds I’ve ever heard. The toms on Train of Thought sound like they’re made of plastic and have these awful high overtones present. And the drums are way too low in the mix on A Dramatic Turn of Events and sound very muddy. For me, these drum recordings all sound way worse than Images and Words or the self-titled album.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2021, 09:50:45 PM »
I&W wasn’t so much a trend that was followed, they just had such primitive gear at the time that Prater felt unable to get a usable drum sound.  He therefore made the decision to go with the pads as there was no other option.  At least that’s how I remember it from the Lifting Shadows book.

As it happens neither of these particularly bother me.  The worst by far for me is ACOS.  I love the song so I usually manage not to notice it but, other times, I can’t stop hearing how bad it sounds.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 11:44:01 PM »
I can't imagine, realistically, there being a better drum sound for I&W than what was on the CD. The 2007 remixes were engineered okay, but they aren't Images and Words.

In concept I liked what they went for with DT12's drums. Dark album = dark drums! Why not!? Plus I'm down for things that are different. In execution, it only worked out okay. From a sonic color perspective it worked out well. But there are so many weird bugs that make it not great. The cymbal mix somehow overpowers the mix yet is indistinct at the same time. The snare sometimes sounds too dry and sometimes you can hear a bit too much of the low reverb. The attack of the toms is way louder than the body.

As much as I think people give the drums on DT12 too much shit... still the obvious vote in this poll.

I know man. I know
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline darkshade

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 05:38:45 AM »
IaW production may be a bit dated, but it's well produced, just like most anything else released in the early 90s.
I think the 80s/early 90s production qualities have a certain charm to them, and they will outlive the bad production values of albums (by anyone really) released in the 00s and 10s.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2021, 07:31:38 AM »
Personally I find the drum sound of I&W TOTALLY ANNOYING, as I always did.

But OK, fine. I can live with that and it remains my favorite DT record. And that's exactly why I can't understand comments like "oh the production of record X completely ruined it for me". Seems a bit exaggerated IMO (save extreme cases - and rare).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2021, 07:58:02 AM »
I will admit that I am not a fan of "dated" being used as a criticism (many of the greatest rock albums of all time sound of their era/time period, which by definition makes them dated), but I have never had a problem with the sound of the drums on I&W and still don't. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2021, 08:31:38 AM »
None of the above.

A Change of Seasons has the worst sounding drums AND the worst overall recording in their catalogue.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
I have no idea. I just listen for the songs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
I have no idea. I just listen for the songs.

:lol :tup

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2021, 06:50:58 AM »
None of the above.

A Change of Seasons has the worst sounding drums AND the worst overall recording in their catalogue.

Again, that's not pertinent to THIS poll. See above.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2021, 12:04:02 PM »
Could pull the trump card and just say WDADU.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »
Van Halen III
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...