Author Topic: JOHN MYUNG- The Official Appreciation Thread!!!  (Read 3128 times)

Offline Glasser

JOHN MYUNG- The Official Appreciation Thread!!!
« on: October 31, 2021, 02:57:54 PM »
John Myung, being an original Dream Theater member and one of the best Bass players in music needs his own thread. It’s been a while since he went on his own since Platypus and The Jelly Jam. Being such a quiet, humble guy, he has to have a vision of other musicians he would love to collaborate with. I can only imagine how incredible this would be. John, if you see this post, know how much we all would love to hear this vision. John, please feel free to jump in here! To all on the forum, who would you personally like to hear JM collaborate with?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 11:25:05 PM by Glasser »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: JOHN MYUNG- The Official Appreciation Thread!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
I first saw DT in June of 1992. I had two main impressions..

1. The drummer is amazing
2. The bass player is a madman

We were very close and JM was at the stage front headbanging and swinging his bass. NOT the stage demeanor he has today.

Here's a pic of him and Kev..

December 16, 1992
Axis, Boston

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 04:50:26 PM »
Great player and was super nice the two times I met him. It's a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves but that's partially a byproduct of being so quiet.

Offline Kram

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 05:10:02 PM »
Great player and was super nice the two times I met him. It's a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves but that's partially a byproduct of being so quiet.
I think it's that (being so quiet) and also playing in a band with JP and JR (you can throw MM in there as well), and he gets overshadowed.  Similar to Alex Lifeson with Geddy and NP in Rush.  Who would I like to see him collaborate with?  How about a project with JM, Marco Minnimann and Daniel Gildenlow?  Daniel has been writing things with crazy rhythms, and Marco and JM would be able to keep up with him.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 06:57:50 PM »
I've met John twice and he was a totally cool, completely down to earth, and very appreciative guy. I have the utmost respect for him. A guy that in my opinion, actually has a very strong voice. He just doesn't feel the need to use it much. When he does, it's powerful. He was actually pretty talkative but he does speak very softly so I had a difficult time hearing him over the drunk people that apparently were old friends of Jordan. Anyway, John's only outside DT projects are very cool and I admittedly don't listen to them much. When I do, I love them. Wish I would have seen Jelly Jam when they toured a few years back.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 07:02:56 PM »
It's not the words he says, but the words he doesn't say. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 07:33:19 PM »
I’ll always remember the quote from the Metropolis 2000 DVD commentary…”when JM speaks, we listen”.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »
I really appreciate how JM transformed from somebody who played up front in WDADU to being discreetly amazing in the background carrying the tune with his partner drummer. His work in the last two albums, Distance Over Time and AVFTTOTW, is phenomenal without calling undue attention to himself.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 07:59:48 PM »
It's not the words he says, but the words he doesn't say. ;D

Maybe an instrumental solo album then? Haha! I would love to see him do an album with Gus G, Bobby Jarzombek, and David Readman!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
My only complaint is I wish he was more audible on the albums.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 08:38:14 PM »
My only complaint is I wish he was more audible on the albums.

The last two albums have been very good in that regard.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 10:04:40 PM »
I wouldn’t call it overshadowed or that he doesn’t get the credits he deserves, as mentioned above. In any environment people adept, some on front, some feel comfortable on the back. Some will throw opinions (all then not asked for), some will be more shy and secur. Which - to me - is a homble and valuable character as well.

Myung is comfortable as he is and evolves, or at least it looks that way and not a bandmember nor a fan has anything bad to say ‘bout him or his talent.

From that point he is most blessed of all…
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 11:33:09 PM »
My Dream:

Steven Wilson
Mike Stern
Mike Keneally
John Myung
Thomas Lang
Yo-Yo Ma
Lajon Witherspoon

beyond that, some fusion flutist, sax player, and trumpet.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 05:33:14 AM »
John Myung is the pure personification of a bass player. Quiet, humble, embracing his role as a supporting player and rarely taking the spotlight. He rarely speaks because everything he has to say is said with his fingers, and everything he plays is done to serve the music and not an exercise in self-indulgence. John Myung is the man.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 06:11:22 AM »
My favorite bassist and a major inspiration in personality and character.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 08:08:11 AM »
The fact that he has no problem keeping up with JP speaks volumes about his bass playing abilities.  He never misses a note live and has a cool stage presence. JM strikes me as a very focused person with great work ethic, I've never met the guy but he strikes as somebody that is easy to get along with and the last person in the world that would ever get on your nerves. DT wouldn't be the same without him.   :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
For the Distance Over Time tour, four of us we got the meet and greet, which meant we got a nice block of seats near the front.
We wound up in the second row, on John Myung's side.
As a guitarist, I kind of wished I was in front of Petrucci... but I was super happy anyway.

When the show started, I began watching JMX play, almost exclusively.
I mean, I knew he was good. I always thought he was Geddy Lee or Chris Squire good... but I had no idea what he was really capable of until that night!

I've been listening to DT for over 20 years, I've watched so many Blue-rays and YouTube videos... but watching him and hearing him live and that close was an all new experience.
He drives the band, his playing in a way IS the song! He has total fluidity between anchoring the band, playing guitar-like leads, and two-handed tapping.
Also, he is always changing his sound with a pedal board that is just massive.

I think he is the strongest, most creative, and downright coolest bass player out there!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »
My only critique of JM is his bass tone because I feel like he gets lost on the final mix. I don't think his tone cuts through the many layers of guitars. Now part of that is the producer insists on having rhythm guitars but with D/T I was loving where JP said he didn't have as many rhythm guitar layers which allowed JM and his bass to breath. Now with this latest release, JM sounds AWESOME!  :metal

I know he was joking about not elaborating on his latest stomp box (or whatever it is) but I wish he would because I am genuinely curious about his sound.

Anyway, LOVE THE JM!!

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 12:12:47 PM »
"No."
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 03:29:43 PM »
Happy birthday to the silent man.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DT1138

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
I did the Meet and Greet back in late 2017 and JM was really a nice guy - definitely soft spoken but quite friendly also.  I remember when he was signing my stuff, he really took his time and was "thoughtful" about what he did.  It's not that the other guys just scribbled gibberish either, but JM really looked it over before he handed the poster back to me.  Laugh if you will, but I found that very impressive and took it as evidence that he puts a lot of thought and effort into everything he does.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »
New interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l3xhvzspUo

John is quite engaging (for him lol), but I still want to reach down his throat and pull his words out.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2023, 09:48:03 PM »
New interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l3xhvzspUo

John is quite engaging (for him lol), but I still want to reach down his throat and pull his words out.

Sexcellent. Thanks for posting this  :metal
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2023, 01:31:42 AM »
I did the Meet and Greet back in late 2017 and JM was really a nice guy - definitely soft spoken but quite friendly also.  I remember when he was signing my stuff, he really took his time and was "thoughtful" about what he did.  It's not that the other guys just scribbled gibberish either, but JM really looked it over before he handed the poster back to me.  Laugh if you will, but I found that very impressive and took it as evidence that he puts a lot of thought and effort into everything he does.

Very kind dude for sure.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 12:49:55 PM »
Love me some John Myung, and especially when he's doing something other than doubling JP's guitar.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2023, 04:28:49 PM »
Love me some John Myung, and especially when he's doing something other than doubling JP's guitar.

This is why I absolutely love The Jelly Jam albums. Great playing by JM.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2023, 07:14:09 PM »

This is why I absolutely love The Jelly Jam albums. Great playing by JM.

Check out Platypus if you haven't.