Author Topic: The Answering The Call thread  (Read 3092 times)

Offline erwinrafael

The Answering The Call thread
« on: October 30, 2021, 12:44:43 AM »
With the album now out a week, more and more this song is sounding like the most "marketable" if given the right push. The riffs are catchy, the structure is not intimidating while still containing DT's prog personality, and it's so singable. The pre-chorus vocal melody is so good, and the chorus itself is not shabby at all.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: The Answering The Call thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 08:05:52 AM »
Love this song. It's also my favorite hook on the album...very singable and memorable.

The main riff is fun to play on guitar. JP takes advantage of open string ideas on the low B of a 7 string, G string and high B string.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:29:39 PM »
Sure the riff sounds like At Whits End, but who cares? This song isn't the best on the album, but it certainly gets the job done at coming down from the proggy high that started the album.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 06:54:48 AM »
Sure the riff sounds like At Whits End, but who cares? This song isn't the best on the album, but it certainly gets the job done at coming down from the proggy high that started the album.

which riff?  ???

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 07:50:35 AM »
I think he means the intro riff of AWE. Personally, I hear more of Fates Warning's Seven Stars in ATC's main riff.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 11:21:56 PM »

which riff?  ???

The main riff has the same ideas in it. I think it is still a great riff. It's similar to how the keyboard melodies in Sleeping Giant are similar to Breaking All Illusions.

Does not matter to me to be honest. I think 15 albums and over 17 hours of music is bound to show similarities. lol.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 03:28:30 AM »

which riff?  ???

The main riff has the same ideas in it. I think it is still a great riff. It's similar to how the keyboard melodies in Sleeping Giant are similar to Breaking All Illusions.

Does not matter to me to be honest. I think 15 albums and over 17 hours of music is bound to show similarities. lol.

Haha I never felt those songs reminded of each other 😬 Transcending Time and Looking Glass I would get but the ones you mention doesn't have much in common to my ears.

Anyway awesome song and they really should have picked it as single. There was a poll on YouTube asking for favorite song and this one one by huge margin. It had something like 44% and second was at 11%. And yeah there were thousands of votes.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »
This is my favorite track of the album so far. The intro is probably my favorite part.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 10:06:57 AM »
I think he means the intro riff of AWE. Personally, I hear more of Fates Warning's Seven Stars in ATC's main riff.

Answering the Call:  FW Seven Stars riff.  :metal 

:hifive:

which riff?  ???

Haha I never felt those songs reminded of each other 😬 Transcending Time and Looking Glass I would get but the ones you mention doesn't have much in common to my ears.

Anyway awesome song and they really should have picked it as single. There was a poll on YouTube asking for favorite song and this one one by huge margin. It had something like 44% and second was at 11%. And yeah there were thousands of votes.

Yeah, I'm not hearing it either.  (aside from the fact that I have no idea what a "whit" is)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 01:46:19 PM »
Pretty good song, but it doesn't resonate with me quite as much as it seems to be for other people.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »
Initially this song reminded be of BMUBMD but only a much superior version, but in retrospect it isn't much like that song except for the electronic beats.
Very much a loveable song and keeps the mood of the album on a roll after the opening song.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline Awaken

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 04:39:04 AM »
This was a standout track for me on first listen - love the hooks in this one

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
It's interesting how the vocal melodies offset or even masquerade the heaviness of this song.  It's kind of like "Forsaken" on steroids.  One of my favorite songs on the new album,, along with the other six.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
3:31 reminds me a lot of Awake, SDV in special. Great song!!

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 08:50:01 AM »
It's interesting how the vocal melodies offset or even masquerade the heaviness of this song.  It's kind of like "Forsaken" on steroids.  One of my favorite songs on the new album,, along with the other six.   :tup

It's all the things I like in Forsaken, BMUBMD, and Paralyzed blended into this song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2021, 09:17:02 AM »
Initially this song reminded be of BMUBMD but only a much superior version

Not sure how you can take something perfect and somehow get a more superior version.  ???

In any case, great song.  May be my favorite on the album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online NoFred

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 09:20:11 AM »

It's all the things I like in Forsaken, BMUBMD, and Paralyzed blended into this song.

Ha I dislike/disregard all 3 of those songs, yet ATC was immediately my favorite here (and still is, it’s a MM era top 5)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2021, 09:28:40 AM »

Ha I dislike/disregard all 3 of those songs, yet ATC was immediately my favorite here (and still is, it’s a MM era top 5)

I do not like those 3 songs all that much, I always forget about BMU,BMD.

But Answer The Call, is everything that I felt those songs could've been. It took all the things I enjoy about those songs and created this awesome song.

I enjoy Forsakens vocals, keyboards, and atmosphere. BMU,BMD heavy guitar tone, the rhythm. Paralyzed, I enjoy the vibe, the energy, and also the rhythm.

I really do think if they had released this as the first single, people would've swarmed to it. Especially those that do not listen to music other than what is played on the radio, which are the singles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online NoFred

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2021, 09:53:06 AM »
It would’ve been a great single, hopefully it still gets worked into the live set

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2021, 05:15:12 PM »
When the first singles were coming out, someone who had heard the album mentioned that ATC would've made a great single and I can't help but agree. It's a pretty concise song by DT standards and the riffs are great. It's definitely one of my go-to's on the album so I'm kinda surprised its been met with a lukewarm reception (from what I can gather).

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2021, 08:41:42 PM »
This one is along with IM a grower for me. To this date it's not the song I have in mind when I want to listen to the album. And yet, I don't feel any desire to skip it. I'm always thinking "oh wow this is such a cool song". It just happens to be surrounded by other songs that pop up in my mind more.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2021, 08:40:59 AM »
Agree with the comments. It's hard to understand why they choose IM over this one. Sure IM is simple and have a sort of good hook, and maybe that translates to single material. I guess TA was so crazy they combined it with the least crazy. However I think if that's the logic they fooled themselves a bit. This is the perfect single for a band like DT. Maybe that's why it's irritating as well. Imo DT creates two wooooonderful singles in ATC and Barstool Warrior, but neither are singles 😁

ATC is groovy, interesting, is complex yet easy to listen to and work for both fans but also grabs attention outside of the believers. Fans would have been a lot more hyped compared to the almost overwhelming negativity IM got initially. Well well, maybe there's a good reason hidden somewhere.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2021, 11:15:19 AM »
Answering the Call is the best song on the album.   :metal

Offline dparrott

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2021, 04:29:20 PM »
Would have made a better first single than Alien.  Alien is cool but too crazy for non-prog fans. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
Pretty good song, but it doesn't resonate with me quite as much as it seems to be for other people.

This.  Not my favorite either.  :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »
Would have made a better first single than Alien.  Alien is cool but too crazy for non-prog fans.

Are you talking about the Grammy nominated The Alien??   ;)

Offline MrMike

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 05:13:37 PM »
Surely ATC will be in the live set.  If not, I'll be severely disappointed.  And I agree that it would've been a far better choice for single than Alien.  I'm still puzzled as to why they chose that one to be first.  Maybe it's *their* favorite.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »
Favourite in the album. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »
I wasn't sure about this one at first, but it's really come together for me nicely over time. Yay for persistence!! I now consider it a top 3 song from this record.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2021, 06:20:56 AM »
I wasn't sure about this one at first, but it's really come together for me nicely over time. Yay for persistence!! I now consider it a top 3 song from this record.
I'm finding it hard to accurately rank the songs.  I think there is a pretty high level of consistency throughout the album (which isn't always the case).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online nick_z

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »
I'm finding it hard to accurately rank the songs.  I think there is a pretty high level of consistency throughout the album (which isn't always the case).

Echoing both sentiments (except I liked ATC a ton right away). My current top 3 would be

Awaken the Master
Answering the Call
A View from the Top of the World

...the two favorites are actually pretty set, but after that it's hard, and I say it as a good thing. Very consistent album.