Poll

Is AVFTTOTW one of the greatest albums of all time?

Yes
13 (13%)
No
79 (79%)
Maybe
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: View  (Read 5760 times)

Offline erciccio

Re: View
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2021, 07:57:55 AM »
Well Mozart's 40th and Beethoven's 9th are... yea

And you don't have to sell me on Images! I relistened a few weeks ago and thought it was brilliant. Couldn't believe they did it at their age. HOWEVER, believe it or not, when I listen to Images and then View right after, View is more complex, mature, incredible. The recent albums were not MELODIC enough to touch images, but View is melodic AND crazy. Anyway, both are awesome, right?

I also buy your point that AVFTTOTW is more "mature" and "professional" than I&W, I can see that, even the musicianship is clearly superior, no doubt.
But (and here we get into the pure opinions) I cannot see the spark of genius in it.
I (again personal opinion) would have never fallen in love with DT if A View had been my first contact with the band.
And I think (wild guess) that the same could be true for most current fans.

Anyway, the poll initially sounded like a silly question, but it can spark an interesting discussion

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2021, 07:59:19 AM »
 :lol

Offline LKap13

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2021, 08:51:16 AM »
8 people have voted yes but nobody has said anything

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »

They need to listen to more bands, like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Kansas, Rush... AVFTTOTW is not even in the top 200 of greatest albums of all time.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
Well, for me it is one of the worst in the DT catalogue, so no way it can be considered one of the greatest of all time..

But, leaving aside each one's personal taste, I think to answer your question one should ask wether this album is going to "change the course of music history" (= greatest).

And I think the answer to this question is a clear NO: no matter how much you like the songs or the production, or how amazing is the delivery by each band member, there are no musical breakthroughs in here, and it's certainly not going to create a new stream of progressive metal music, it is not going to push legions of teenagers to embrace an instrument, or anything like that.

The only DT album that can compete in this category is Images and Words: you might not love it as much as this one, but it certainly created (or at least reinvented and made popular) a musical genre (the progressive metal), even though a niche one.

PS - of course all of the above is just my opinion, it's not an universal truth, but I think it's going to be EXTREMELY unlike that this album is going to be more influential of I&W.

I think this is all fair. Counter argument is something like, Mozart's 40th symphony. Probably considered one of the "greatest", but as far as I can tell it was not more "influential". I'm not a classical music scholar so I could be wrong on that but I think it's true

This is a fair point...this debate could be never ending, as there's clearly not a mathematical rule to determine the "greatness"! :)

By the way, also the 40th received "mixed reviews" ! :)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinfonia_n._40_(Mozart)
According to Glenn Gould, it's 8 bars of genius in the middle of 30 minutes of banality!
(I could not find this quote in the English wiki).

Same thing as concerns Beethoven, the 9th, for example: it's certainly one of the most influential and popular, if not the most, but I would not consider it one of his masterpieces...

AVFTTOTW according to me does not fall in any possible definition of "greatest", anyway!
I&W IS the one! :biggrin:

I mean...it changed the course of music history. It was different from anything anyone had heard up until that point in 2,000 years of Western music and not long after, it was in the mind of virtually every significant composer in the West after Beethoven. After the 9th and last, composers started to think of symphonies as pieces that their reputations would be built on. The genre would never be the same afterwards. By comparison, when Mozart began writing symphonies they were considered good concert openers. So, given the undisputed and virtually unparalleled historical significance, it's sort of asinine-- if not besides the point-- to say you don't consider it one of his masterpiece's. It's like my saying I don't consider the Sistine Chapel to be one of Michaelangelo's masterpieces (and might even be more egregious than my saying that). The course of history says otherwise. Your personal amateur opinion contradicting one of the great masterpieces of not only Beethoven, but Western art as a whole is sorta silly if not void of meaning.

Perhaps you just meant you prefer listening to some of his other works more than the 9th?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2021, 12:25:55 AM »

They need to listen to more bands, like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Kansas, Rush... AVFTTOTW is not even in the top 200 of greatest albums of all time.
I beg to differ!   I'll take AVFTTOTW  over any album by Pink Floyd or Led Zepplin,  and I enjoy it as much as anything by Yes or Rush (my two other favorite bands besides DT) .

So I voted Yes,  even though I feel the same way about a few other DT albums.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erciccio

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2021, 03:17:14 AM »
Well, for me it is one of the worst in the DT catalogue, so no way it can be considered one of the greatest of all time..

But, leaving aside each one's personal taste, I think to answer your question one should ask wether this album is going to "change the course of music history" (= greatest).

And I think the answer to this question is a clear NO: no matter how much you like the songs or the production, or how amazing is the delivery by each band member, there are no musical breakthroughs in here, and it's certainly not going to create a new stream of progressive metal music, it is not going to push legions of teenagers to embrace an instrument, or anything like that.

The only DT album that can compete in this category is Images and Words: you might not love it as much as this one, but it certainly created (or at least reinvented and made popular) a musical genre (the progressive metal), even though a niche one.

PS - of course all of the above is just my opinion, it's not an universal truth, but I think it's going to be EXTREMELY unlike that this album is going to be more influential of I&W.

I think this is all fair. Counter argument is something like, Mozart's 40th symphony. Probably considered one of the "greatest", but as far as I can tell it was not more "influential". I'm not a classical music scholar so I could be wrong on that but I think it's true

This is a fair point...this debate could be never ending, as there's clearly not a mathematical rule to determine the "greatness"! :)

According to Glenn Gould, it's 8 bars of genius in the middle of 30 minutes of banality!

Same thing as concerns Beethoven, the 9th, for example: it's certainly one of the most influential and popular, if not the most, but I would not consider it one of his masterpieces...

AVFTTOTW according to me does not fall in any possible definition of "greatest", anyway!

I mean...it changed the course of music history. It was different from anything anyone had heard up until that point in 2,000 years of Western music and not long after, it was in the mind of virtually every significant composer in the West after Beethoven. After the 9th and last, composers started to think of symphonies as pieces that their reputations would be built on. The genre would never be the same afterwards. By comparison, when Mozart began writing symphonies they were considered good concert openers. So, given the undisputed and virtually unparalleled historical significance, it's sort of asinine-- if not besides the point-- to say you don't consider it one of his masterpiece's. It's like my saying I don't consider the Sistine Chapel to be one of Michaelangelo's masterpieces (and might even be more egregious than my saying that). The course of history says otherwise. Your personal amateur opinion contradicting one of the great masterpieces of not only Beethoven, but Western art as a whole is sorta silly if not void of meaning.

Perhaps you just meant you prefer listening to some of his other works more than the 9th?

Well, the debate on the 9th is bit more complex than that.

A few years ago, for example, a famous Italian writer (Alessandro Baricco) wrote a book and directed a movie centered around a fictional character, Professor Mondrian Kilroy, that created a list of the 141 most overrated pieces of art in history. That list includes Metropolis (the movie!  :tup) , 2001 Space Odissey, Moby Dick and others...
His "Lesson 21" (and the related movie) is dedicated to the 9th.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lezione_ventuno

Apart from the obvious "fictional provocation" of the list, Baricco's point is that the "Western Cultural elite" has historically tended to magnify "complexity" over "emotions" in arts (I am over simplifying).
This book/ movie sparked an interesting debate, at least for nerds like me.

In other books he investigates how this "cultural model" has been attacked by Internet and the "quick consumption" culture ("the barbarians", how he calls them, even though not with a negative intent)

Going back to Beethoven, his point is that "genius" is often found in simplicity, not in complexity..and for example in the movie he "claims" (in a very romantic scene, by the way), that The Late Quartets (for example) show a  much "higher content" of Ludwig's sheer genius, because it's not filtered by all the "cerebral complexity" of the 9th.

Some Sonatas also go much more directly to the heart of the listener...while you have to be "educated" to fully appreciate the 9th.

Where is the "genius"?

Well, I personally hear it more clearly in the Pathetique rather than in the 9th...but I am probably just one of the "barbarians", I am certainly not part of the Elite that "defines" what a Masterpiece is. :)

I think a similar story is true for DT...I fell in love with Images and Words because some songs there were just great songs that touched my heart, and only after I realized they were also "musically complex"...

In AVFTTOTW, for example, I was not stuck in the same way...you have to start from the complexity to "understand" the music ("don't you get that the Alien is in 5+5+7/16? that's genius!"), but that's not the path I like to follow when I listen to music.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:25:40 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2021, 03:23:09 AM »
It's not even the best album released in 2021.

:D

• PR permission
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2021, 06:09:10 AM »

Well, the debate on the 9th is bit more complex than that.

A few years ago, for example, a famous Italian writer (Alessandro Baricco) wrote a book and directed a movie centered around a fictional character, Professor Mondrian Kilroy, that created a list of the 141 most overrated pieces of art in history. That list includes Metropolis (the movie!  :tup) , 2001 Space Odissey, Moby Dick and others...
His "Lesson 21" (and the related movie) is dedicated to the 9th.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lezione_ventuno

Apart from the obvious "fictional provocation" of the list, Baricco's point is that the "Western Cultural elite" has historically tended to magnify "complexity" over "emotions" in arts (I am over simplifying).
This book/ movie sparked an interesting debate, at least for nerds like me.

In other books he investigates how this "cultural model" has been attacked by Internet and the "quick consumption" culture ("the barbarians", how he calls them, even though not with a negative intent)

Going back to Beethoven, his point is that "genius" is often found in simplicity, not in complexity..and for example in the movie he "claims" (in a very romantic scene, by the way), that The Late Quartets (for example) show a  much "higher content" of Ludwig's sheer genius, because it's not filtered by all the "cerebral complexity" of the 9th.

Some Sonatas also go much more directly to the heart of the listener...while you have to be "educated" to fully appreciate the 9th.

Where is the "genius"?

Well, I personally hear it more clearly in the Pathetique rather than in the 9th...but I am probably just one of the "barbarians", I am certainly not part of the Elite that "defines" what a Masterpiece is. :)

I think a similar story is true for DT...I fell in love with Images and Words because some songs there were just great songs that touched my heart, and only after I realized they were also "musically complex"...

In AVFTTOTW, for example, I was not stuck in the same way...you have to start from the complexity to "understand" the music ("don't you get that the Alien is in 5+5+7/16? that's genius!"), but that's not the path I like to follow when I listen to music.

lol. Nothing you typed is at all relevant and all of it is besides the point. The 9th, whether or not you want to acknowledge it, is a masterpiece of Western civilization. It's not even up for debate at this point centuries later. It's actually somewhere closer to historical fact. That is literally how influential that piece of music has been and it doesn't really have much to do with what your personal opinion is. I find this to be in the same category of absurd as your other fantasy about Awake being among 'the most musically intense...in music history' so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that now you think a piece of music that has been so important that we would probably send it into outer space to reach intelligent life, is really just overrated.

Yes, I am sure there is some Italian guy who thinks many of the masterpieces of Western civilization are overrated. There are hundreds of people who line up to see the Mona Lisa every day and end up shrugging their shoulders and wondering what's all the fuss over a weird looking woman. There thousands of kids who read Hamlet every year and think it's boring as hell and don't get why they're expected to read it. It's all besides the point because there is something about them that transcends mere personal taste. I am sorry if you don't get that.

That's all. I am not here to argue facts. I'll try not to derail the thread any further.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2021, 07:18:06 AM »
Absolutely not, although it may very well be one of your favorite albums of all time.

But even that would be weird, unless you've only been listening to music for, like, a month.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2021, 08:33:43 AM »

I didn't vote "yes", but with the exception of Rush, I'd take any DT album over any of those bands' albums.  I'd be perfectly fine never hearing another Beatles or Pink Floyd song for the rest of my life. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2021, 01:32:10 PM »
Here are some of my all time favourite albums.

1. Therapy? Troublegum

2. Oasis - Morning Glory

3. REM - Automatic For The People / Monster / Out of Time / Document - that run is very impressive indeed.

4. Green Day - Nimrod / American Idiot

5. U2 - The Joshua Tree

6. Bryan Adams - Waking Up The Neighbours

7. Manic Street Preachers - the Holy Bible

8. Metallica - Master Of Puppets / Metallica

9. The Clash - London Calling

10. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon

11. LeftField - Leftism

12. The Prodigy - Fat of The Land.

If I had to choose a Dream Theater album - i'd pick either Scenes or Octavarium. But not A View From The Top. I don't even like it as much as Distance Over Time.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2021, 01:48:16 PM »

Good lord, you can't be serious :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2021, 02:24:33 PM »

Smug Alert!  I don't see why that's laughable,  there are a lot of great albums out there and AVFTTOTW is right up there with any of them.   :hat
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2021, 02:30:05 PM »
I didn't even say anything about the perceived quality of this album and I like it, but to call it 'one of the greatest albums of all time' when it's only been out for less than a month is a ridiculous claim.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
DT16 is the best album of all time just you wait.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2021, 03:43:59 PM »

DT 17 beats that already
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2021, 02:45:11 AM »
 :( oh shoot

Offline LKap13

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2021, 08:44:20 AM »
Would I ever make the claim that DOT is one of the greatest of all time? No. Astonishing? No. View on the other hand I think there's an argument for it

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2021, 08:56:32 AM »
Would I ever make the claim that DOT is one of the greatest of all time? No. Astonishing? No. View on the other hand I think there's an argument for it

Well for one thing the vocals are completely pedestrian. Isn't that kind of important?

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2021, 09:03:27 AM »

DT 17 beats that already

DT -1 was always my favorite. The band's never made an album quite like that one ever since.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2021, 09:23:27 AM »

DT 17 beats that already

DT -1 was always my favorite. The band's never made an album quite like that one ever since.

AH YEH I HADDA THORT OF DAAAHHH

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2021, 02:31:42 PM »

Well for one thing the vocals are completely pedestrian. Isn't that kind of important?
Pedestrian??  Whatever....    :\
To the contrary,  the vocals are quite stellar on this album.  Kudos to JLB!    :coolio

Offline LKap13

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2021, 02:40:01 PM »

Smug Alert!  I don't see why that's laughable,  there are a lot of great albums out there and AVFTTOTW is right up there with any of them.   :hat

Very well put

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2021, 02:52:19 PM »
Here's a question!

Do you think DREAM THEATER will reach album #20 ?

Assuming they stick to the album every 2.5 years routine - that's around 15 years from now...!

Rudess will be 80 - and some pianists can perform well into their 80s -I don't see him sticking around that long.

Everyone else will be around 65 - 75.

I don't see Myung and Petrucci being able to play the super fast unisons in 15 years.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2021, 03:06:09 PM »
Here's a question!

Do you think DREAM THEATER will reach album #20 ?

Assuming they stick to the album every 2.5 years routine - that's around 15 years from now...!

Rudess will be 80 - and some pianists can perform well into their 80s -I don't see him sticking around that long.

Everyone else will be around 65 - 75.

I don't see Myung and Petrucci being able to play the super fast unisons in 15 years.

Who's to say. But in the recent interview with Peter Orullian, James said they plan on playing for a while still, buy when he's 90 he will not be singing. :yarr

• PR permission
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2021, 04:10:53 PM »
Plenty of musicians are doing this into their 70s. These guys strike me as the kind of dedicated musicians who just love what they do and couldn't picture themselves retiring, unless health demands it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2021, 04:12:31 PM »
Also i'd hope they had the clarity to notice when they were no longer able to replicate the albums live and either start recording less demanding music

or no longer bust out In The Name Of God in their 70s

The music can still be technical without being ultra fast.

I'd be up for another album like Octavarium where its mostly chilled out.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2021, 05:03:24 PM »

Very well put

Ok. Keep on skipping tracks from one of the greatest albums ever then.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2021, 05:24:54 PM »

It's laughable because it is too soon to call it one of the greatest albums of all time.  Granted, anyone can make their list of favorite albums ever whenever they want, but I feel that we have to see how something ages a bit first before making a real judgement on how good it really is.  And I am not above a bit of hyperbole if I love something right away, or vice versa, but ultimately, something has to stand the test of time (how much time is debatable, but this album has been out for, what, about a month? :lol) to be called truly great, IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2021, 02:12:28 AM »
Thanks for the backup :tup
Squ