Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2021 - Results & Discussion  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2021 - Results & Discussion
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 08:07:42 AM »
This year's results are almost identical to mine, just put BMU,BMD above TITL. That song is so overly hated in my opinion.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 10:00:26 AM »
So this time around we voted Beneath the Surface out earlier, and kept Lost Not Forgotten around for a long time. We did worse  :D
Nah. I'm WAY more in agreement with the order this time around as opposed to 2017.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 10:40:09 AM »
Both sets of results are egregiously wrong for having Far From Heaven in the bottom three instead of the top three, but I definitely agree with having On the Backs of Angels high and Lost Not Forgotten low.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline darkshade

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Both sets of results are egregiously wrong for having Far From Heaven in the bottom three instead of the top three, but I definitely agree with having On the Backs of Angels high and Lost Not Forgotten low.

A duet with JLB and JR is never going to get very high against full band songs.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2022, 07:50:25 AM »
So I know we are at least a month and a half out from getting to the Finals, but I was thinking about doing something a bit different with the Finals. Since it'll have 40 songs (the most in any DT Survivor Finals history), I was thinking of letting everyone vote for TWO songs/tracks for at least the first 10 rounds, or at least until we eliminate half of the 40 songs from the Finals, just to speed things along a bit since I'm sure there are plenty of tracks that won't likely make anyone's top 20 of the Finals.

If I run it traditionally, one vote per voter per round, the Finals will take 39 rounds, which means it'll take 68 days, or just under 10 weeks, barring any tie-breakers. Now, if I do do two-votes-per-round, I'll only eliminate 2 songs per round for the rounds that have two votes each, so if there are more than two songs with the same number of votes as the most voted songs, there would be a tie-breaker, but if the 2nd highest number of votes is a tie, I'll just eliminate the highest voted songs (for example, if Song A gets 30 votes, but Songs B and C get 28 votes, I'll just eliminate Song A, and then we will see if Songs B and C go out in the following round).

Is this a good idea? Would folks be on board for this? I'm sure some will say "It's your survivor, just run it however you want" and that's cool. I just also don't really want to have to prolong the Finals any longer than it should be, and I'm sure we're all eager to get to the end!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »
Yeah, couple of votes for the first round seems cool.

Do it also for consolations, that's gonna take some time as well!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2022, 07:56:50 AM »
As far as I can tell, this is the only survivor running at the moment. It also goes without saying that this is the survivor for the band that this forum is for. Its for those reasons that I don't see a reason to rush this along at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2022, 08:30:16 AM »
Do you, boo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »
After reading what MM and DOC wrote, I have come to the conclusion that either option is ok by me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »
Completely fine either way Marc. Go ahead and make the call.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2022, 07:43:59 AM »
Dream Theater's Final Round's Results:
The Bigger Picture 25 (71.4%)
Illumination Theory 10 (28.6%)
Total Members Voted: 35

01. Illumination Theory
02. The Bigger Picture
03. Behind The Veil
04. Surrender To Reason
05. The Enemy Inside
06. The Looking Glass
07. Along For The Ride
08. Enigma Machine
09. False Awakening Suite

Voted 5-to-2, "The Bigger Picture" places second, but both it and "Illumination Theory" advance to the Finals! Here are the results from 2017 for comparison:

01. Illumination Theory
02. Surrender To Reason
03. The Bigger Picture
04. The Enemy Inside
05. Behind The Veil
06. The Looking Glass
07. Along For The Ride
08. Enigma Machine
09. False Awakening Suite

Looks like the top five remained the top 5, albeit shuffled around between 2nd and 5th places, while the bottom 4 were exactly the same as last time. Honestly it was so close in some of those rounds that 2nd-5th places could swap every time we do this, just depending on who is around to vote at the time.

As an update to the Survivor, we have just started the first ever album survivor for Distance Over Time, while The Astonishing continues to truck along and will probably finish as we get through the survivor for AVFTTOTW. After those three albums finish, there's still the Majesty Demos and the B-Sides/Non-Album Tracks Survivors as well, and then finally Consolation and Finals, but while those run, we'll also have the Studio Albums and Live Albums Survivors to run as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2022, 07:54:06 AM »
This time around we got it right  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2022, 08:24:15 AM »
This time around we got it right  :D
Agreed!  :tup

Online krands85

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2022, 08:25:12 AM »
Generally, the 2017 results have been closer to my thoughts than this time.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2022, 07:36:18 AM »
Distance Over Time's Final Round's Results:
Barstool Warrior 29 (76.3%)
At Wit's End 9 (23.7%)
Total Members Voted: 38

01. At Wit's End
02. Barstool Warrior
03. Pale Blue Dot
04. Fall Into The Light
05. S2N
06. Untethered Angel
07. Paralyzed
08. Out Of Reach
09. Viper King
10. Room 137

And here are the final results of the first-ever Distant Over Time Survivor here, and I've gotta say, I don't mind the outcome. I kind of wish PBD made it to the finals, but BW is pretty good too. Maybe PBD fans can help it survive in the Consolation Rounds (since the top 4 are going to the Finals).

Anyways, we're in the home stretch for The Astonishing and just started the survivor for A View From The Top Of The World. Both should be done in about 2 weeks, and then we will move on to the Majesty Demos and the Non-Album Songs/B-Sides.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2022, 08:19:09 AM »
The Astonishing's Final Round's Results
The Gift Of Music 20 (69%)
The Path That Divides 9 (31%)
Total Members Voted: 29

01. The Path That Divides
02. The Gift Of Music
03. Moment Of Betrayal
04. A Life Left Behind
05. Three Days
06. Lord Nafaryus
07. Heaven's Cove
08. A New Beginning
09. The X Aspect
10. A Savior In The Square
11. Dystopian Overture
12. Ravenskill
13. A Better Life
14. When Your Time Has Come
15. Our New World
16. The Walking Shadow
17. Chosen
18. A Tempting Offer
19. Act Of Faythe
20. My Last Farewell
21. The Road To Revolution
22. Astonishing
23. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
24. 2285 Entr'acte
25. The Answer
      Brother, Can You Hear Me?
      Begin Again
28. Losing Faythe
      Whispers On The Wind
30. Descent Of The Nomacs
      The Hovering Sojourn
      Digital Discord
      Machine Chatter
      Power Down

I think most of us can agree that this has been a bit of a mess once we got past the first couple of rounds. I think because this is such a HUGE album, the differences between this run and the one from 2017 will be the most drastic compared to any of the other albums, whose rankings were fairly consistent. Here are the results from the 2017 Survivor for comparison:

The Astonishing
01. Three Days
02. Moment Of Betrayal
03. A Life Left Behind
      A Tempting Offer
05. A Better Life
06. A Savior In The Square
07. Dystopian Overture
08. The Path That Divides
09. Lord Nafaryus
10. A New Beginning
11. The Gift Of Music
12. The X Aspect
13. Ravenskill
14. Heaven's Cove
15. When Your Time Has Come
16. The Walking Shadow
17. Our New World
18. Chosen
19. The Road To Revolution
20. Astonishing
21. The Answer
      Act Of Faythe
      My Last Farewell
24. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
25. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
26. Begin Again
27. Losing Faythe
28. 2285 Entr'acte
29. Whispers On The Wind
30. Digital Discord
      Machine Chatter
32. Descent Of The Nomacs
      The Hovering Sojourn
      Power Down

"The Gift Of Music" didn't even make the top ten last time. ALLB and MOB swapped spots but both remained in the Top Four to advance to the Finals, while TPTD jumped up from 8th to 1st. "Three Days" went from 1st to 5th this time, while "Lord Nafaryus" jumped up three spots from 9th to 6th to make it to Consolation Rounds this time. Meanwhile, former Finals song "A Tempting Offer" went from top 4 to 18th, and the former Consolation songs "A Better Life" and "A Savior In The Square" went from 5th and 6th to 13th and 10th, respectively.

It'll be interesting to see how these rankings shake out next time we run this survivor. At least the NOMAC tracks will always be at the bottom.  :lol

-Marc.

Offline 425

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2022, 11:33:42 AM »
Both of these are kind of bad, tbh, putting some of the top songs (The X Aspect, Chosen, imo The Road to Revolution) way too low.

The Path That Divides is a better winner than Three Days, but I think the 2017 result is overall slightly better because A Tempting Offer is rightly in the top 10 instead of at #18.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2022, 03:09:39 PM »
My own personal top ten for The Astonishing is, in album order:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
A Life Left Behind
Ravenskill
The X Aspect
A New Beginning
The Path That Divides
Our New World
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »

A View From The Top Of The World's Final Round's Results:
Awaken The Master 21 (61.8%)
A View From The Top Of The World 13 (38.2%)
Total Members Voted: 34

01. A View From The Top Of The World
02. Awaken The Master
03. Answering The Call
04. The Alien
05. Sleeping Giant
06. Transcending Time
07. Invisible Monster

The album's closing epic takes the top spot, but both it and ATM both advance to the Finals, while ATC goes to Consolation. We are now done with all the studio albums, and barring any ties, both Majesty Demos and the B-Sides Survivors should finish at the same time.

Consolation Rounds should start on March 26th, which will run for 17 rounds/34 days, unless everyone wants to start it with multi-vote/multi-elimination rounds like I usually do for longer/double albums given there are 18 songs in Consolation this time around. It would definitely help expedite the process and get to the more exciting Finals a bit quicker!

-Marc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
I'm ok with Multiple votes
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2022, 09:06:14 AM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2022, 09:04:18 AM »
The Majesty Demos' Final Round's Results:

A Vision 6 (37.5%)
Total Members Voted: 16

01. A Vision
02. Another Won
03. Vital Star
04. March Of The Tyrant
05. Two Far
06. Your Majesty
07. Cry For Freedom
08. The School Song
09. Resurrection Of Ernie

The final results are about as expected, especially compared to the unusual 2017 results:

01. A Vision
02. March Of The Tyrant
03. Cry For Freedom
04. Another Won
05. Vital Star
06. Two Far
07. The School Song
08. Your Majesty

This week we will (hopefully) wrap up the Non-Album Songs & B-Sides Survivor, then next week we will begin the Consolation Rounds. I'll probably also run the Live Albums Survivor as well! During the Finals, I may also pepper in some smaller DT-related Survivors, like The Twelve-Step Suite Songs, or The Epics.

-Marc.

Offline MirrorMask

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2022, 09:14:30 AM »
The Majesty Demos' Final Round's Results:

A Vision 6 (37.5%)
Total Members Voted: 16

01. A Vision
02. Another Won
03. Vital Star
04. March Of The Tyrant
05. Two Far
06. Your Majesty
07. Cry For Freedom
08. The School Song
09. Resurrection Of Ernie

The final results are about as expected, especially compared to the unusual 2017 results:

01. A Vision
02. March Of The Tyrant
03. Cry For Freedom
04. Another Won
05. Vital Star
06. Two Far
07. The School Song
08. Your Majesty
Interesting to see the 2017 results. They fit much more closely with my personal opinion than this year.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2022, 04:37:09 PM »
Non-Album Songs & B-Sides' Final Round's Results:
A Change Of Seasons 3 (10%)
Raise The Knife 27 (90%)
Total Members Voted: 30

01. A Change Of Seasons
02. Raise The Knife
03. To Live Forever
04. Speak To Me
05. Eve
06. The Way It Used To Be
07. Don't Look Past Me
08. Cover My Eyes
09. Where Are You Now?
10. The Holiday Spirit Carries On
11. Raw Dog

Voted 9-to-1, RTK places second, but both it and ACOS move on to the Finals! Here's the results from the 2017 Survivor for comparison:

Cleaning Out The Closet & Other B-Sides
01. A Change Of Seasons
02. To Live Forever
03. Eve
04. Speak To Me
05. Raise The Knife
06. Don't Look Past Me
07. The Way It Used To Be
08. Cover My Eyes
09. Where Are You Now?
10. You Or Me
11. Raw Dog

For one reason or another, I included the "You Or Me" demo, which was officially released on the Hollow Years CD single, so I guess it technically counts as a B-Side (being different enough from the final album version of "You Not Me"). The Top 5 remained the same between both, though with some shuffling around (though "Speak To Me" stayed at 4th), and 6th and 7th places swapped while "Cover My Eyes" and "Where Are You Now?" remained 8th and 9th respectively. "Raw Dog" was still the first one out as well.

The Consolation Rounds are underway with a few multi-vote rounds at first, then it'll continue with single-vote rounds to the end. By mid-to-late April, the Finals should start, and those will begin with some multi-vote/multi-elimination rounds as well, as I'm sure there are a few songs in the Finals many fans would like to see go all at once, and it'll speed things along to the more exciting/more difficult decisions later on. We're in the home-stretch now, so hopefully this will finish up by the end of May! When the Finals begin, I'll also be running the Albums Survivors (Studio albums, then Live albums).

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
The Consolation's Final Round's Results:
Take The Time 12 (42.9%)
Strange Déjà Vu 16 (57.1%)
Total Members Voted: 28

01. Take The Time
02. Strange Déjà Vu
03. The Mirror
04. Blind Faith
05. Hell's Kitchen
06. These Walls
07. As I Am
08. Lost Not Forgotten
09. Pale Blue Dot
10. Behind The Veil
11. Answering The Call
12. The Shattered Fortress
13. Three Days
14. Ytse Jam
15. To Live Forever
16. Constant Motion
17. Lord Nafaryus
18. Vital Star

Unsurprisingly, the songs from IAW, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT make the top four, and all advanced to the Finals, which is currently running in its second round! And even though the song choices were different last time, here are the Consolation Rounds results from the 2017 Survivor:

01. Take The Time
02. Fatal Tragedy
03. Voices
04. The Great Debate
05. Peruvian Skies
06. Sacrificed Sons
07. On The Backs Of Angels
08. The Bigger Picture
09. Forsaken
10. The Shattered Fortress
11. A Savior In The Square
12. A Better Life
13. This Dying Soul
14. Eve
15. The Ytse Jam
16. Cry For Freedom

Looks like "Take The Time" was destined to be in the Finals!

-Marc.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2022, 10:38:32 AM »
Lol at A Saviour in the Square and A Better Life over This Dying Soul...

Online The Letter M

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
The Studio Albums's Final Round's Results:
Images And Words 18 (51.4%)
Scenes From A Memory 17 (48.6%)

01. Scenes From A Memory
02. Images And Words
03. Awake
04. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
05. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
06. Train Of Thought
07. Octavarium
08. A View From The Top Of The World
09. Distance Over Time
10. Falling Into Infinity
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Dream Theater
13. Systematic Chaos
14. The Astonishing
15. When Dream And Day Unite

Well I knew it would be close in the end, but by ONE VOTE?! That's as close as you can get without it being a tie, but honestly, I'm sure for most fans, either one could've won and we'd be fine with the results. Here are the Albums Survivor results from 2017, which of course do not include DOT and AVFTTOTW:

01, Scenes From A Memory
02. Images And Words
03. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
04. Awake
05. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
06. Octavarium
07. Train Of Thought
08. The Astonishing
09. Falling Into Infinity
10. Systematic Chaos
11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Dream Theater
13. When Dream And Day Unite

The Astonishing dropped from 8th to 14th in five years, while pairs of albums have swapped, like SDOIT/Awake and Octavarium/TOT. Meanwhile, ADTOE remains in fifth, and the top two stayed the same, and the band's debut album remains the first one out.

-Marc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2022, 01:52:03 AM »
Wow, The Astonishing was really benefitting from the "newest album euphoria" moment, uh?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2022, 08:51:10 AM »
The Finals Final Round's Results:
Learning To Live 17 (48.6%)
A Change Of Seasons 18 (51.4%)

01. Learning To Live
02. A Change Of Seasons
03. Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper
04. Octavarium
05. Scarred
06. Voices
07. Breaking All Illusions
08. Home
09. Trial Of Tears
10. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
11. Finally Free
12. Strange Déjà Vu
13. In The Name Of God
14. The Glass Prison
15. The Mirror
16. The Count Of Tuscany
17. Take The Time
18. Lines In The Sand
19. In The Presence Of Enemies (Parts I & II)
20. Stream Of Consciousness
21. Bridges In The Sky
22. Blind Faith
23. The Root Of All Evil
24. At Wit's End
25. A View From The Top Of The World
26. The Killing Hand
27. A Nightmare To Remember
      Illumination Theory
29. The Ministry Of Lost Souls
      Barstool Warrior
31. The Bigger Picture
32. A Fortune In Lies
      The Gift Of Music
      Awaken The Master
35. Raise The Knife
36. The Path That Divides
37. Moment Of Betrayal
      A Life Left Behind
39. Another Won
40. A Vision

By a difference of ONE VOTE, "Learning To Live" takes the gold, leaving "A Change Of Seasons" to take 2nd place and the silver.

What a journey this was, and thanks again to everyone who participated! I really enjoyed running this one again, and seeing how similar and different things have been since the 2017 survivor, and these finals were no different! If you want to see the full results from the Dream Theater 2017 Survivor, you can go to that thread, but here are the Top Ten from the previous Finals, just for comparison:

01. Octavarium
02. A Change Of Seasons
03. Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper
04. Learning To Live
05. Home
06. Breaking All Illusions
07. Take The Time
08. Trial Of Tears
09. The Glass Prison
10. Finally Free

As you can see, a lot of the same songs survived to the Top Ten, so I think we can safely say at this point, these are definitively all Top Ten picks for many, but not all, fans here, especially as the Top Four on both Survivors are the same four songs.

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
Thanks for running this, Marc!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
Agreed! This was fun!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2022, 12:44:57 PM »
Nice.  Thanks, pal!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2022, 01:54:42 PM »
This was great, thanks for running it!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »
A decade on from its last triumph in a DTF tournament, Learning to Live returns to the top of the world once again.