Author Topic: An Enchant Thread  (Read 3893 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: An Enchant Thread
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2020, 09:23:52 AM »

It’s too bad that Paul hasn’t done more since he left Enchant despite being married to the very talented Hannah Stobart. He did The Wishing Tree albums (really only the second one after leaving Enchant), and I recently downloaded the Rocket Moth album that they made together. That one has some really cool moments, sort of like a heavier The Wishing Tree album. I really like all three of those albums though. Would be nice to see Paul and Hannah make more music together

I guess that's where the Rothery connection came in.

Only reason I knew about this band was I discovered that Rothery produced them and did some solos for Blueprint which I bought on Dream Circle Records back in 1994. Blueprint just floored me and I became an instant fan buying all of their albums. Blueprint might still be my favorite , but I love the Live at Last CD/DVD set too.  Those two are very special albums for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2020, 09:31:04 AM »
I actually bought the "A Dream Imagined" box set a few months back on a whim but haven't had the time to hop into it yet, so it's nice to see this thread here.

Curious if anyone has both the box set and the original releases. Is there any upgrade in sound quality? Some of these may have been remastered a while back but I think I only have originals, so maybe it’s worth it for that? Is there any other reason to invest in the box set if I have all of the individual albums?

That would be my question too. I don't have the box, but I do have all of the originals and the Inside Out reissues. If there's a sonic upgrade, I'd have to consider the box.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
I actually bought the "A Dream Imagined" box set a few months back on a whim but haven't had the time to hop into it yet, so it's nice to see this thread here.

Curious if anyone has both the box set and the original releases. Is there any upgrade in sound quality? Some of these may have been remastered a while back but I think I only have originals, so maybe it’s worth it for that? Is there any other reason to invest in the box set if I have all of the individual albums?

The box set has two extra discs of demos, live, and alternate versions of songs, so if you don't have any of those in your original CDs as bonus tracks, then the box set might be worth getting.

-Marc.

Thanks. Looks like I need to consider this. (Figures.)

Offline HOF

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2020, 09:48:18 AM »

It’s too bad that Paul hasn’t done more since he left Enchant despite being married to the very talented Hannah Stobart. He did The Wishing Tree albums (really only the second one after leaving Enchant), and I recently downloaded the Rocket Moth album that they made together. That one has some really cool moments, sort of like a heavier The Wishing Tree album. I really like all three of those albums though. Would be nice to see Paul and Hannah make more music together

Only reason I knew about this band was I discovered that Rothery produced them and did some solos for Blueprint which I bought on Dream Circle Records back in 1994. Blueprint just floored me and I became an instant fan buying all of their albums. Blueprint might still be my favorite , but I love the Live at Last CD/DVD set too.  Those two are very special albums for me.

Rothery’s work on Blueprint preceded The Wishing Tree (I assume Rothery working with Enchant is what got Paul involved in The Wishing Tree). Story I heard second hand was that Enchant was at the bottom of a bill on a Marillion show in California one night but got bumped at the last minute. The next night they went to see Marillon in another city and got to meet Rothery. When they told him what had happened, he asked if they had any tapes or CDs, so they gave him whatever they had and he liked it so much offered to produce them.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2020, 10:12:13 AM »

Rothery’s work on Blueprint preceded The Wishing Tree (I assume Rothery working with Enchant is what got Paul involved in The Wishing Tree). Story I heard second hand was that Enchant was at the bottom of a bill on a Marillion show in California one night but got bumped at the last minute. The next night they went to see Marillon in another city and got to meet Rothery. When they told him what had happened, he asked if they had any tapes or CDs, so they gave him whatever they had and he liked it so much offered to produce them.

Thanks for clearing that up. Always wondered how the association began.

Offline HOF

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
So I’ve had a good week plus with this Xen album, and it really is a must-have for Enchant fans. It fits right in stylistically with the two Enchant albums it’s sandwiched between (Break and Juggling), but is maybe a little more direct and raw production-wise. Some of it sound a lot like Test for Echo-era Rush actually (a good thing in my book). There are a few twists though (some funky parts, a nice piano ballad to close the album, etc.).

I had thought this was mainly a Paul Craddick solo vehicle, but it’s still a collaboration with Ted and Doug. Paul wrote most of the music and handles a lot of the bass and guitar duties in addition to drums (which sound great), but most of the lyrics were actually written by Ted with one by Doug. It featured everyone in Enchant at the time besides Ed Platt, so it really does sound a lot like an Enchant album. Definitely worth tracking down if you want more from the classic Enchant lineup.

Offline DTA

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2020, 03:21:05 PM »
Where did you find it?

Offline HOF

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2020, 03:31:57 PM »
Where did you find it?

About two weeks ago there were several used copies available through Amazon for a reasonable price, which is where I got mine. ProfessorPeart mentioned he found one on Discogs.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
Where did you find it?

About two weeks ago there were several used copies available through Amazon for a reasonable price, which is where I got mine. ProfessorPeart mentioned he found one on Discogs.

Still waiting on mine to arrive. Should arrive after the holiday. Discogs has several copies but they are all in Europe. It appears I got the last US seller.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline DTA

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2020, 07:25:26 AM »
The amazon ones are a bit pricey for me too...I'll just keep an eye out in the future. Not high on my priority list but still an album I'd like to check out for novelty's sake

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
It's been a few years since I've pulled Xen out for a spin which I suppose is odd because it's right before Break on the shelf and Break gets played somewhat regularly.

Offline DTA

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »
Pretty random observation, but does anyone think the Ozzy song Waiting For Darkness sounds a lot like Blueprint/Wounded era Enchant? I listened to Bark At The Moon for the first time recently and this song has such an Enchant vibe. It almost feels like this song alone was the "blueprint" for their style on those albums. Am I crazy?

Offline HOF

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:44 AM »
Pretty random observation, but does anyone think the Ozzy song Waiting For Darkness sounds a lot like Blueprint/Wounded era Enchant? I listened to Bark At The Moon for the first time recently and this song has such an Enchant vibe. It almost feels like this song alone was the "blueprint" for their style on those albums. Am I crazy?

No idea, but I’m gonna listen to it now and report back with my findings.

Offline HOF

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2020, 08:28:48 AM »
Ok, yeah, that underlying riff sure does sound a lot like Blueprint.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »
likely the show/DVD that was for Live at Last

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhOp7gYsuVg

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2021, 06:34:25 PM »

It is that very show previously released on CD/DVD. One of my favorite live shows ever. Had briefly considered going out there for it.

Offline HOF

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2021, 07:15:07 PM »

It is that very show previously released on CD/DVD. One of my favorite live shows ever. Had briefly considered going out there for it.

I’ve only seen portions of it from YouTube before, but I was always impressed by how tight they were. Will have to give this a view.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2021, 07:30:18 PM »
I have the DVD. Wish they released it on Blu Ray.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »
Really love this release! Great selection of songs and excellent performances!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »

I think it might be my favorite Enchant album ever after A Blueprint Of The World.

Offline HOF

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2021, 10:44:58 PM »

I think it might be my favorite Enchant album ever after A Blueprint Of The World.

Just tracked down the CD on Discogs. Really strong live performance.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2021, 03:27:48 PM »

Just tracked down the CD on Discogs. Really strong live performance.

Great live band with too few live performances.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2021, 10:42:24 AM »
Gaah, was hoping it would be new album news!  >:(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2021, 10:44:16 AM »
From talking to Ed it seems dead in the water right now and that's on Doug. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2021, 05:50:50 PM »
From talking to Ed it seems dead in the water right now and that's on Doug.

Thanks for the update.