Author Topic: Awaken the Master Discussion Thread  (Read 7119 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Awaken the Master Discussion Thread
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »
As I am typing this I am noticing on YT Feed that the band dropped a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOkeoXyt-4

This is such a great song. Heavy 7 and 8 string riffs charge in and eventually give way to piano, guitar solo, and then a haunting and atmospheric verse. The chorus is not as catchy as ATC or TT but still works. The 8 string sounds huuuuuuuge.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Awaken the Master Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 08:18:57 AM »
Nice animation video.

This song is easily my second favorite of the album so far  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 09:11:39 AM »
I love that JP didn't got traditional Djent for his first time writing on an 8-string guitar. I'm a fan of how heavy this song is and yet it has one of the most uplifting sections of the album with the second verse (you made it to the top...) with a groove AF bass line, and JPs clean tone playing.

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
This song (aside from the title track) is my other favorite from this album, it is a golden track.

La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Offline AVFTTOTW

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 05:29:34 PM »
I also hear a lot of Haken in this track, thought I'd mention it. However if Haken wrote this song it'd be way more funkier with lots of ghost notes.
La ilaha illa'llah, Muhammadun Rasoolullah
"Soon We shall show them Our signs in the horizons and in their own souls until it becomes clear to them that He is the Reality.
Is it not sufficient that your Lord is witness to  all things?" - Qur'an 41:53

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 05:50:57 PM »
The thing that stands out to me most about this song is that the title isn't said until the very end of the song. Is that a first for a DT song, where the title is only said at the very end as the last lyric?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline VincentMDO

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 06:13:49 PM »
The thing that stands out to me most about this song is that the title isn't said until the very end of the song. Is that a first for a DT song, where the title is only said at the very end as the last lyric?

-Marc.

My last farewell.
"So would tell him what to do... Would you?"

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 10:56:05 PM »
There is so much about this song I adore, but I think my fav part is the section where Jordan his hitting those massive chords and it goes into JP's solo and ends in the first verse. That section just gives me goosebumps every time. And the melody lines in the verses are so perfect. They kinda remind me of Voyager.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 07:18:13 AM »
I had a weird thought, and I know it's weird, but I thought it, and I think it, and I even believe it a little bit.

Awaken The Master is the song that A Rite of Passage wishes it was.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »
Good song and the chorus is very memorable.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
Easily my favorite on the album... the track I come to first when I listen to the album.  I wake up sometimes with the first piano riff/first JP solo in my head.

Echoing what others have said, JP used the 8 in a way that was unexpected for me.  I'm working to get that riff under my fingers...

Can't wait to see it live with that beautiful fanned-fret Majesty!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 01:48:38 PM »

That Majesty looks amazing,  I want one!   

I do not own any JP models though, so it's just a pipe dream.....Out Of Reach!  😭  🤑🤑
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
I had a weird thought, and I know it's weird, but I thought it, and I think it, and I even believe it a little bit.

Awaken The Master is the song that A Rite of Passage wishes it was.

I can see that. Although, the solo section always seemed fun to me in A Right Of Passage.

What one do I conciser better though? That's a tough one for me.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

• PR permission
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
Easily my favorite on the album... the track I come to first when I listen to the album.  I wake up sometimes with the first piano riff/first JP solo in my head.

Echoing what others have said, JP used the 8 in a way that was unexpected for me.  I'm working to get that riff under my fingers...

I am hoping they play it live. It would be a solid opener after intermission and a strong closing song. I am not sure if JP will want to lug the 8 string around for one song but maybe he will given it's so brand new and is getting positive feedback.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2021, 08:15:05 AM »
Listening this morning, and doubling down on the fact that I wish JP played a cool chord sequence or something during the first verse instead of the constant chug-chug. (Like most of the other first verses). Song of course is great otherwise.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 03:47:27 AM »

I am hoping they play it live. It would be a solid opener after intermission and a strong closing song. I am not sure if JP will want to lug the 8 string around for one song but maybe he will given it's so brand new and is getting positive feedback.

I'm sure they could trade one 6 string in the rack for one 8 string if they needed to.

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 02:27:42 PM »
Simply my the most favorite, something like S2M on DoT. Those melodic lines make the chills anytime I listen it...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 06:32:29 AM »
Simply my the most favorite, something like S2M on DoT. Those melodic lines make the chills anytime I listen it...

Same here.  I think this song is the clear standout on the record.  I don't really think of it as another S2N (a song I like, but can't say I love), but they really nailed everything really well in Awaken the Master.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 06:34:49 AM »

Same here.  I think this song is the clear standout on the record.  I don't really think of it as another S2N (a song I like, but can't say I love), but they really nailed everything really well in Awaken the Master.
I think this is their best composition on the album, and it (along with Transcending Time) is the one that has resonated most with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:49 PM »

I think this is their best composition on the album, and it (along with Transcending Time) is the one that has resonated most with me.

Yep, for sure. I spun it a few times today and it is really sounding good.  This is one I could see gaining the great status for me here sooner rather than later.  :metal :metal

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2021, 07:40:00 PM »
It’s the one track on the album that hasn’t connected with me yet. I certainly don’t dislike it, it feels like it just meanders a bit for me.

I also have a little bit of issue with it sounding like a bit of a mash-up of the other songs on the album. While I understand there is heaps going on compositionally, I’m not really instrument-minded, so that stuff goes over my head a bit, and I’m left more with simply how things sound.

This is the one track that when people say things like “the album all sounds the same”, likely strikes me as doing so. I think the album has terrific variety, and while the songs certainly sound like they are from the same album in feel, they have significant variety and are strong tracks in their own right.

Awaken the master however, can at times for me feel similar to the title track, but just not done as well. Like when the chorus starts with “spinning through time..”, you could almost replace it with “See a view from the top of the world…” and it feels like it fits almost too easily. Or the solo at the start that goes into the soaring guitar - it almost goes into the same riff as “The Alien”, and just changes tack slightly. It almost would be better to repeat the same riff, so there’s a bit of a recurring motif and some continuity. So I can see the opinion of this one sounding a bit “samey”.

In any case, I hope it clicks more but I’m also not worried, as everything else on the album is right up my alley, with Sleeping Giant and Answering the Call making a big play for my favourite track along with Transcending time in a 3-way tie 👊

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2021, 09:35:26 PM »
I think it is the only song that is largely 4/4 so it sounds distinct to me.  :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2021, 10:13:22 PM »
I think it is the only song that is largely 4/4 so it sounds distinct to me.  :lol

Absolutely very possible mate, just one of those moments where it’s based on my complete lack of compositional knowledge or talent, and how I feel it sounds :tup

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 12:26:29 PM »

That Majesty looks amazing,  I want one!   

I do not own any JP models though, so it's just a pipe dream.....Out Of Reach!  😭  🤑🤑

JP models aren't out of reach my friend... the Sterlings are just as spectacular if not better.

I'm having the pups changed on one of my Sterling JPs and while I was in the local shop, I noticed a Sterling Majesty on the wall... I plugged in to see what's up.  Gotta say that under my fingers, the Sterling Majesty that I played blew the real Majesty that I owned out of the water!  I sold my 2016 EBMM Majesty (shout-out to Victor.. VMadera) because I just wasn't playing enough to justify it and I wanted it to go to a DTFer... I'm seriously considering buying that Sterling Majesty.  $1,499 for the Sterling v/s $2,499 for the EBMM.

The EBMM 8 was a limited run I think... +$5,000.  I'd like to see one in-person for certain!  That one may be out of reach for all of us as I was seeing pros picking them up.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

• PR permission
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »
I would look for a used JP. For whatever reason, if an electric guitar does not say Fender or Gibson on the headstock, it doesn't retain its original value too well. All guitar prices are a little out of whack at the moment, but eventually they should normalize and I would expect JPs to get a reasonable discount on Reverb. That may not happen on the 8 string Majesty though given there is a smallish batch of them for now.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:45 PM »
Unfortunately, and I'm sad to say, JP did exactly what I was hoping he wouldn't do which is chugga-chugga-chugga.  It sounds like everyone else out there doing the same thing.

When I saw the 2 promo videos with Jason Richardson and Nick DePirro I said "meh" to JR's and "WOW" to NDP's.  His video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NuqZhVQfS0

I really wish JP would have done something other than the status quo with it or just saved it for his solo stuff.

Is AtM a cool song?  Yes, for sure.  Did it warrant using an 8?  Not at all.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 10:38:16 PM »
Did JP really just do chugga chugga? Not what I hear.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2021, 12:22:13 AM »
Errr I agree the 8 wasn't necessary for this little use.

But I disagree on the "Unfortunately, and I'm sad to say, JP did exactly what I was hoping he wouldn't do which is chugga-chugga-chugga."
JP plays telegraphic chugga-chugga over nearly every verse and transitions of the album, but he plays lot of riffs and melodies in ATM on the 8...
Si like erwinrafael, I feel the opposite.
Plus it's a metal album, so eh...

Honestly, I wish he chugged only in ATM and less in other songs :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2021, 06:29:37 AM »
I don't even notice the 8-string guitar in this song, and cannot tell if he uses it the whole song or just in certain spots.  It is a non-factor for me as to why I think this song is really good, to be honest.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2021, 06:41:00 AM »
Errr I agree the 8 wasn't necessary for this little use.

But I disagree on the "Unfortunately, and I'm sad to say, JP did exactly what I was hoping he wouldn't do which is chugga-chugga-chugga."
JP plays telegraphic chugga-chugga over nearly every verse and transitions of the album, but he plays lot of riffs and melodies in ATM on the 8...

This

Going back to ATM, I think this song proves why the 8th string does not add much to guitar playing.
The main riff could have been easily tuned up 2.5 steps, and it would have just sounded better...(personal opinion of course)

An 8th string could be useful if it could add something to the "harmonic" approach to guitar playing, e.g. allowing to play different inversions of the chords with lower bass notes, but those notes would be basically buried down due to the low freq vs the rest of the chords...(at least for my ear).
I have never heard anyone getting something really new out of this.

While I think there's still plenty of space for innovation even playing "just" with 6 strings (e.g. Tim Henson from Polyphia)

Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2021, 08:25:26 AM »
I really appreciate JP's approach to utilizing the 8-String. By recording a song based on what he comes up with when he first plays it and jams on it, like he did with the 7-String and Puppies on Acid turning into The Mirror.

I find that a neat approach to creating. And it's awesome knowing that, this is just the first of many potential 8-String songs in the future.

And I don't remember if it's an interview or the documentary. When they talked about Awaken The Master, it was neat hearing how the overall composing aspect of a song changed as they had to think of the sonic space. Whether JM was going to lower his lowest string to be flabby, but instead chose to use a capo at the 2nd fret.

The vocals and the keyboards add so much to the melodies and to the higher end of the key being played.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
I don't even notice the 8-string guitar in this song, and cannot tell if he uses it the whole song or just in certain spots.  It is a non-factor for me as to why I think this song is really good, to be honest.
I can hear it throughout the whole song, rhythmically speaking.  the breakdown into the solo section if I remember right, has a lot of deep sounding power chords.
I wouldn't be surprised if he used it for the leads too.  That would be a interesting question to ask JP.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2021, 01:45:29 PM »
I'm GLAD it doesn't sound like most 8 string bands who just wanna be Meshuggah

It still sounds like Petrucci.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2021, 06:08:59 PM »

I agree.  All of these low-end riffs are starting to sound the same.

• PR permission
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »
Unfortunately, and I'm sad to say, JP did exactly what I was hoping he wouldn't do which is chugga-chugga-chugga.  It sounds like everyone else out there doing the same thing.

When I saw the 2 promo videos with Jason Richardson and Nick DePirro I said "meh" to JR's and "WOW" to NDP's.  His video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NuqZhVQfS0

I really wish JP would have done something other than the status quo with it or just saved it for his solo stuff.

Is AtM a cool song?  Yes, for sure.  Did it warrant using an 8?  Not at all.

well in all fairness, the chugga chugga is in line with a LOT of riffs on the new album. I don't think the 8 string loaded the album with more chugga really. It's just adding extra heaviness to the song/album, which is really a very dark and heavy piece of work (minus TT).

There are a lot of younger guitarists who are using 8 strings in more creative ways (Tosin) but yeah, I am not expecting to hear that sorta thing from a veteran 55 year old who just picked up the 8 string a week before the song was written.