Author Topic: The "Sleeping Giant" thread  (Read 5602 times)

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
Re: The "Sleeping Giant" thread
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
I considered the chorus to be one of the most emotional on the album. I also felt that James shined best on the choruses of pretty much every song.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2021, 05:31:31 PM »
I've let the song marinate for a while now. I said before it's a solid B (8/10) in my book and I think that's where it'll stay. Time hasn't changed much for me. I mentioned before I was expecting a stunner and I don't feel that it is. I don't think the main riff, chorus, any solos, instrumental section etc are more than an 8/10 so while the song is very good, there's no one thing I feel is superior to what the band normally pulls off.

I am a little surprised that it appears to be the favorite on the forum and of many reviews, but in a way, it makes sense in the context of a consistently good album.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 01:46:38 PM »
What did you edit?

From 22seconds to 1:42mark.  I like the "creepy" intro, and then let it just start with that "du du du du du du" riff with james singing and it's very dark.
that's it. For me, that makes the song absolutely perfect and I enjoy it second to answering the call.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »
Definitely the best chorus on the album in my view.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2021, 02:16:43 PM »
Definitely the best chorus on the album in my view.

:tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup :tup

One of the few that makes me kinda emotional. Excellent lyrics and a perfect melody.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2021, 06:41:22 AM »
While i didn't care for it at the beginning,it has grown on me and is now in my top 3 of the album.
Reminds me of Lost not Forgotten Pt 2,both in duration and in instrumental madness.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »
Sleeping Giant is a phenomenal track. Transcending Time was my favourite from the start, but this is right there alongside it, and could have even overtaken it for me. Just a beast - fun, groovy, mean and I agree with James’ assessment in the documentary - this one is just Dream Theater through and through.

The vocal melodies are terrific throughout, and I love how the second chorus is the same but done differently. The main riff just rocks, and it’s reprise at the end after “spin the common thread” and subsequent outro, just brings a massive smile to my face.

This track, Transcending Time and Answering the Call are songs that genuinely make me excited everytime they come on. I really enjoy the title track as well as the Alien too, but I know when I look forward to hearing tracks, they generally always stand the test of time for me.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »
the chorus (...), it’s far too generic as well.

I really don't understand how anyone can say this. The chorus (1st and 3rd time around) is in 7, but it's a very unusual 7 in that it is a 3+4 pattern. I can't remember a single instance of any other band even using a 3+4 pattern and certainly not in a chorus section. It strikes me as one of the most unique things on the album, possibly of their entire discography. Generic this ain't!

I think that's why I love it so much. I'm always for more uniqueness.