Author Topic: The "Sleeping Giant" thread  (Read 5588 times)

Offline erwinrafael

The "Sleeping Giant" thread
« on: October 25, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
This track got a 10/10 from me at first listen. I like how the intro sort of prefigures the structure of the whole song. Starts with a simple, quite unremarkable pattern, which they then layer and create variations until it reaches a crazy crescendo. That is how they structured the vocal melodies as well, and also the instrumentals. The ending of the song is really glorious.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: The "Sleeping Giant" thread
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 02:36:02 AM »
It’s a solid B or B+ song for me. Based on reviews and fan reaction, I expected a stunner and to that extent I was very slightly underwhelmed. I don’t think the vocal melody at the chorus is particularly strong or hooks you but other parts are good. Very cool instrumental section but lately I am feeling like DT instrumental sections are all starting to sound a certain way these days, unless it’s in a mega epic. I liked the lyrics and subject matter.

A few puts and takes in my experience with this one but overall it’s a satisfying addition to the DT archives.

Offline JLa

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 03:45:00 AM »
The only track I've been revisiting so far. :-[ But I really like it!

Offline RAIN

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »
Absolutely a great song, but I had to make a personal edit to the track and now I find it superb.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 09:26:01 AM »
What did you edit?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:59:48 AM »
Loved it from my first listen. Blows me away every time I hear it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 12:59:10 PM »
I love the Danny Elfman - ish vocal melodies.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 01:09:29 PM »
My favorite on the album right now. I actually was so hyped about this song I took the time to tempo map it and transcribe the bass part note for note. Next step is to actually try to learn the damn thing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 01:11:31 PM »
My favorite on the album right now. I actually was so hyped about this song I took the time to tempo map it and transcribe the bass part note for note. Next step is to actually try to learn the damn thing.

Would you mind sharing the bass part? I'd love to try to learn it!  :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 01:14:11 PM »

I will. Bear in mind I transcribed it for five strings instead of six since I did all of this with the intention of learning and covering it and the six string I own is busted at the moment. With that said, while the fingerings I wrote might not be 100% accurate, the actual sheet music should be.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 01:24:44 PM »

I will. Bear in mind I transcribed it for five strings instead of six since I did all of this with the intention of learning and covering it and the six string I own is busted at the moment. With that said, while the fingerings I wrote might not be 100% accurate, the actual sheet music should be.

No sweat man. I don't expect 100% accuracy.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »

"Nope" ..   😁
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline JRuless

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 02:51:13 PM »

"Nope" ..   😁

Haha, gold

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 03:29:22 PM »

"Nope" ..   😁

Haha, gold

That was my favorite part of the whole documentary. His smile as the rest of the band loses it, he knows what’s he’s doing.

-MirrorMask

Offline cminor

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 12:06:07 PM »
So the first and third chorus of SG are in 7/8, the second one (obviously with the same melody) is in 4/4. Speaking of same melodies but different time signatures, have DT ever done this before in a song?

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »
I believe they did something similar in Illumination Theory with the "We seek to understand, we cry head in hand" part. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time it alternates between 7/8 and 6/8, while the second time is 4/4. I think it's a neat trick.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »
I love the vocal part around 4:25.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 12:34:56 PM »
And about Sleeping Giant, I like it. It has a dark and theatrical atmosphere to it, which I also found appeared here and there through the rest of the album too and I love it!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
One of my instant fav on my first listen. Stil the same, I love everything about that song. Pretty sure it'll be a concert hit.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 02:05:12 PM »
One of my least favorite songs at first, but sure enough, it's growing on me with each listen. Definitely a highlight at this point.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
It took me a half dozen listens to break it down, but I'm pretty sure it's my favorite song on the album.

Kind of a cross between Outcry and Bridges In The Sky.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline darkshade

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2021, 08:51:16 PM »
This might be the best song on the album. Maybe their best since Breaking All Illusions.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 06:12:28 AM »
I’ve had the “shadows disappear at night” part stuck in my head since last night

Offline cminor

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2021, 06:34:06 AM »
I believe they did something similar in Illumination Theory with the "We seek to understand, we cry head in hand" part. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the first time it alternates between 7/8 and 6/8, while the second time is 4/4. I think it's a neat trick.

I think you're right. Good catch, thank you!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2021, 06:58:36 AM »
Is Sleeping Giant the first time a line that can be traced to the Bible made its way to a DT song?

"Harmless as a dove
Clever like a snake"

From Matthew 10:16 "Listen carefully: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves"

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2021, 07:16:42 AM »
Is Sleeping Giant the first time a line that can be traced to the Bible made its way to a DT song?

"Harmless as a dove
Clever like a snake"

From Matthew 10:16 "Listen carefully: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves"
no, Pull Me Under references a section from the bible as well. "Watch the sparrow falling" and all that (I mean you know the line) references "There is special providence in the fall of a sparrow" or something. (I'm not of faith, luckily) But the line in the song is mainly inspired by Hamlet of course (as is the entire song, as we know)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline rab7

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2021, 10:58:25 AM »

"Harmless as a dove
Clever like a snake"

Off the top of my head "the one who's free from sin, the first to cast the stone" from BMUBMD

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2021, 11:05:08 AM »

"Harmless as a dove
Clever like a snake"

I believe Repentance quotes a whole bible passage doesn't it?

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2021, 11:17:40 AM »
Great song all in all. The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the recurring riff that appears about 43 seconds in, but it doesn't really matter much.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Great song.  Probably my favorite so far

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 02:12:51 PM »

I believe In the Presence of Enemies contains references to Psalm 23.

Offline rab7

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2021, 02:26:51 PM »

I believe In the Presence of Enemies contains references to Psalm 23.

Yes, the entire part from "Lord,you are my guide and my shepherd" all the way to" Death, you follow me all the days of my life" is taken directly from Psalm 23

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2021, 05:23:39 PM »
So I love the whole song other than the chorus… the chorus just comes out of nowhere and doesn’t even fit the vibe of the song, it’s far too generic as well.

Outside of the chorus which hits 3 or 4 times I think the song is great.

The “like a sleeping giant” part hits ok though on the last chorus.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
I felt this was one of the strongest songs on the album to be honest. I didn't like the main riff at first, but I love it now. It works with the song. Plus, this is the closest I would say this album gets to that "classic" DT sound. I also loved the chorus. Really shows that James is getting comfortable with what he can do.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2021, 06:00:13 AM »
the chorus (...), it’s far too generic as well.

I really don't understand how anyone can say this. The chorus (1st and 3rd time around) is in 7, but it's a very unusual 7 in that it is a 3+4 pattern. I can't remember a single instance of any other band even using a 3+4 pattern and certainly not in a chorus section. It strikes me as one of the most unique things on the album, possibly of their entire discography. Generic this ain't!
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."