Author Topic: Hello, everyone. I have a story for you.  (Read 2723 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Hello, everyone. I have a story for you.
« on: October 24, 2021, 11:33:32 PM »
This place is the home I'd forgotten about. I hope many of my beloved forumers are still here.

Back in early February, I got COVID. And boy, did I get COVID. I went to urgent care with a temperature of 102. After testing positive, they stuck a pulse oximeter on my finger and my O2 was 81%. The nurse practitioner stressed that I needed to go to the hospital - she even offered to call me an ambulance. Not wanting the bill, I declined. I checked into the hospital about an hour later, and they settled me down into a nice, cozy room.

Then I fell asleep.

I remember pitch black with sensory and auditory hallucinations. I can't describe what happened. I felt confined and restricted. I remember yelling - whether out loud or in my mind, I don't know. I must have thought I was in hell. I slowly came to and was informed I had been moved to the ICU. I had untreated sleep apnea, and, as a result, my blood oxygen dropped to 70% while I was asleep. They put me on a bipap, and the doctor came in to tell me that if there were no improvements, I might have to be intubated. This is when reality set in; I knew the odds of coming out of intubation.

Fortunately (and miraculously), I improved. I was released a week later, and that's when I began to change my life.

Something that y'all need to know about me to get the full impact of this story is that over the past few years I have really let myself go. I made a lot of money in a job that requires near zero movement. I could afford food - lots of it, and I was completely sedentary. When I was in the hospital I weighed 460 pounds, had untreated sleep apnea, untreated high blood pressure, and shortly after I was released, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. How the FUCK did I survive? My flirtations with agnosticism have waned a bit since then.

Fast forward to today. I have a CPAP, my blood pressure is controlled (albeit with medication), I've made some major dietary changes, and reversed my diabetes. I used to doordash two or three times a day and drank two Monsters a day. Now, I only drink water, and I have two meal replacement shakes every day. I currently weigh 385. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'm in a much better place. I can get out of chairs without feeling like my knees will explode. I can stand up for more than three minutes. I can walk around and do my own grocery shopping. Life has improved immensely, and I'm thankful for my second chance every day.

Then:

Now:

Bonus picture from last Tuesday:

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Hello, everyone. I have a story for you.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 01:45:02 AM »
 :heart I'm glad you're doing better, Covid can be no joke.

Good luck on your weight journey! I started my journey last summer after a culmination of diffrent things, not covid though. Just try to stay positive and in good spirit and you'll reach your goal.  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 05:09:40 AM »
Goddamn, Tim.  That's scary as shit.  Glad to hear you recovered, and have put yourself on a path to better health.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 06:19:20 AM »
Hot damn man.  So glad you pulled through.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »
Glad you pulled through bud, good luck on your new lifestyle!!! I hate to ask what your blood sugar numbers were in the hospital, I've heard horror stories about how covid makes them spike for type 2 peeps like us.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 06:52:15 AM »
Glad you pulled through. And glad you were able to reverse the diabetes, I understand it's not easy. Just keep up the work, and keep strong. It's great to hear these stories of survival.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 07:19:52 AM »
Wow, what an scary, but ultimately uplifting story!  I'm proud of you and hoping for more (positive) updates as we go forward!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 07:23:06 AM »
That’s quite the gambit of emotion and circumstance. Happy that you’ve recovered well and love how you’ve taken control of things and are improving your life!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 07:27:01 AM »
Keeping fighting the good fight! Glad to hear you are on the right path.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 07:29:50 AM »
Wow! Congrats on the success so far! I hope you keep it up!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »
Amazing story of resilience and determination.  Good on you.  Talk about a silver lining with Covid...

I'm a little past 1 week of tracking my food intake and no alcohol in an attempt to drop a few before the holidays kick in.  Just yesterday I was whining about it.  After reading your story, I have gained some much needed perspective, so thank you.  I hope you'll keep us updated with your progress.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 09:51:29 PM »
I love stories like this. Not that a guy went through hell, but that he came out the other side, and, more importantly, he willed his way out, with his own, (stealing from Harmony) resilience and determination.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 09:54:47 PM »
Glad to see you're doing better MJ. I've always struggled with weight to some degree, and it's amazing how hard it can be, and how relatively simple it can be once you've made the right changes in your life. I hope the good decisions become natural and 2nd nature and you can continue to shed the weight and feel better about your health going forward.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 06:04:02 AM »
Damn Dude! That's something! I'm happy to hear the good news.

Kickass job on the weight loss btw!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:28:45 AM »
WTG, dude. Glad to see you made it back.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2021, 08:55:21 AM »
Oh wow.  I hate that you had to go through that, but congrats for coming out on the other side better!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »
I echo all the sentiments above.  So glad to hear back from you and to hear about the major positive turn your life is taking.  Hope to see more of you around this place when you have time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2021, 05:50:20 PM »
holy shit Tim, thisis my first time back here in over a year but i'm SO SO glad you did ok and are doing better! I also had covid in february and since i have asthma and a couple of autoimmune diseases I thought I'd do worse but I was mostly fine. Goes to show you just never know how it's gonna hit you. I'm so sorry you had such a hard time of it and am SO GLAD you're doing so much better now. You're looking GREAT and i'm so happy for that.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »
Goddamn, Tim.  That's scary as shit.  Glad to hear you recovered, and have put yourself on a path to better health.   :tup
:tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 06:55:43 PM »
I will also echo the positive sentiments here.  Glad to hear you are doing well!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2021, 08:33:36 AM »
Wow. Strength to you, man.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2021, 11:46:33 AM »
Lots of good vibes here. I missed y'all. It's good to be back!
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2021, 12:09:40 PM »

I just got approved into the Bariatric program.  Seeing the nutritionist this month and the doctor next to work on changing my eating habits and more exercise.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2021, 12:43:57 PM »

I just got approved into the Bariatric program.  Seeing the nutritionist this month and the doctor next to work on changing my eating habits and more exercise.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion