Author Topic: The "Transcending Time" Thread  (Read 6672 times)

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: The "Transcending Time" Thread
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »
Literally how does this sound like Rush? It sounds like DT. Lol.

And you think the two sound nothing alike in general or here?

In general I definitely think the two bands sound pretty different. DT is often heavier, and the keyboard work is much more prominent and insane than anything Rush ever did.

Well yes, of course. DT is progressive metal and Rush is progressive rock. DT has always had the Metallica/Iron Maiden/Queensryche influence that Rush never had. But since day one, in addition to those metal bands, DT has shown roughly equal influence from the progressive bands like Genesis, Yes and, in particular Rush. I guess I just find it very strange that you've apparently heard the metal influence-- they're heavier and more technical-- but you don't recognize the progressive ingredient from Rush.

In the new documentary that was played today, I think JP even mentioned Rush when talking about Transcending Time. It's a core DT influence that's been featured prominently since 1989 so I am a bit intrigued you think they sound pretty different and hear no Rush in TT (and presumably Barstool Warrior, Transcending Time, Surrender to Reason, I could go on...)

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2021, 08:09:47 PM »
Literally how does this sound like Rush? It sounds like DT. Lol.

And you think the two sound nothing alike in general or here?

In general I definitely think the two bands sound pretty different. DT is often heavier, and the keyboard work is much more prominent and insane than anything Rush ever did.

Well yes, of course. DT is progressive metal and Rush is progressive rock. DT has always had the Metallica/Iron Maiden/Queensryche influence that Rush never had. But since day one, in addition to those metal bands, DT has shown roughly equal influence from the progressive bands like Genesis, Yes and, in particular Rush. I guess I just find it very strange that you've apparently heard the metal influence-- they're heavier and more technical-- but you don't recognize the progressive ingredient from Rush.

In the new documentary that was played today, I think JP even mentioned Rush when talking about Transcending Time. It's a core DT influence that's been featured prominently since 1989 so I am a bit intrigued you think they sound pretty different and hear no Rush in TT (and presumably Barstool Warrior, Transcending Time, Surrender to Reason, I could go on...)

Yeah I don't hear Rush in any of those songs, and I'm sure that's just me seriously missing something. Not trying to poo poo the connections other have made to Rush.  :smiley:

Offline jsbru

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2021, 01:24:34 AM »
I've only had time to give the album one listen, but this one has the most potential so far.  There's lots of absolutely beautiful parts on it, but I feel like it builds up so great, and the the chorus is quite anti-climactic and boring.

Kind of the way I feel about the whole album.  Lots of really great snippets everywhere, many of them among the best in the Mangini era, but I feel like the way they're put together to form larger songs is a little bit inartful and off.  I wish the band would give an outside producer a shot for their next album, but I'm pretty confident that would never actually happen.  If they had someone outside of DT's normal groupthink come in and offer some song construction ideas, etc., I feel like this song could have been one of their best ever...instead it's just a really good song that's got a missing element or two.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2021, 05:36:24 AM »
Yeah I don't hear Rush in any of those songs, and I'm sure that's just me seriously missing something. Not trying to poo poo the connections other have made to Rush.  :smiley:

I wouldn't worry about it UM, I've never made that kind of connection to those particular songs either. Actually, if I think about it, if those songs are Rush influenced, I'd say that DT is crappy at making Rush songs.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2021, 05:59:52 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it UM, I've never made that kind of connection to those particular songs either. Actually, if I think about it, if those songs are Rush influenced, I'd say that DT is crappy at making Rush songs.

I think the Rush influence is there, but I don't think it's as obvious as some are making it out to be.  I doubt I would have thought, "Gee, this song kinda sounds like Rush," if I hadn't read it on the internet.  And I have been listening to Rush for 30 years (favorite band now for 30 years).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »
It's hard to determine what my least favorite track on AV right now, but I feel this one would be a contender.

However, I don't dislike it. I don't think more major key stuff on a DT song = Rush influence, though.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »
BTW - while DT wears their musical influences on their sleeves (Pink Floyd, Rush, Metallica etc...), I would be hard pressed to tell you which Rush song this sounds like.

This sounds like something off of D12.

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
BTW - while DT wears their musical influences on their sleeves (Pink Floyd, Rush, Metallica etc...), I would be hard pressed to tell you which Rush song this sounds like.

This sounds like something off of D12.

That would make sense if it sounded like it fits in nicely with DT12...that album has one-- arguably two-- Rush-esque songs  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »
I suspect people mean it sounds like Rush in general, not necessarily a specific Rush song.  I think Surrender to Reason was a similar thing (although that song has never struck me as sounding that much like Rush).  The main riff in The Looking Glass was obviously very similar to the one in Limelight.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2021, 12:39:03 PM »
I suspect people mean it sounds like Rush in general, not necessarily a specific Rush song.  I think Surrender to Reason was a similar thing (although that song has never struck me as sounding that much like Rush).  The main riff in The Looking Glass was obviously very similar to the one in Limelight.

Yes, I think that's what it is. On DT12 too, it was more about certain "nods" to Rush-sounding things than whole songs...the opening riff of Looking Glass, for sure, and the opening of Surrender to Reason, as Kev says. As for Transcending Time, I guess the beginning has that open-string guitar riff that's very Alex Lifeson and the vocal melody in the verse has an 80s Rush feel...but as JP himself said, it's mostly the result of wanting to write a major key proggy song. The keys too...they sound more like happy prog than Rush to me. Speaking of references, I find the final "Transcending Time" chorus with overlapping vocals very Yes-like.

That said, I really enjoy TT. I feel, like others have commented here, it comes a tiny bit short of being a truly great song, but it works very well where it is in the context of the album.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2021, 04:04:13 PM »
The main riff in The Looking Glass was obviously very similar to the one in Limelight.

More than the main riff. The songs have nearly identical structures.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2021, 04:39:15 PM »
The keyboard parts of TT definitely give me Yes vibes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2021, 05:26:11 PM »

Yes, I think that's what it is. On DT12 too, it was more about certain "nods" to Rush-sounding things than whole songs...the opening riff of Looking Glass, for sure, and the opening of Surrender to Reason, as Kev says. As for Transcending Time, I guess the beginning has that open-string guitar riff that's very Alex Lifeson and the vocal melody in the verse has an 80s Rush feel...but as JP himself said, it's mostly the result of wanting to write a major key proggy song. The keys too...they sound more like happy prog than Rush to me. Speaking of references, I find the final "Transcending Time" chorus with overlapping vocals very Yes-like.

That said, I really enjoy TT. I feel, like others have commented here, it comes a tiny bit short of being a truly great song, but it works very well where it is in the context of the album.

What's funny is I consider most Rush happy music, or more uplifting. I get it though, it's the key of major and when you want it to be happy there's only a certain amount of keys and chords that do sound happy.

But the Chord Progression for the ending reminds me of Ayreon - Day 18:Realization (2:41 for a timestamp) for some reason.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
This song brings me so much joy. Maybe it's just me, but I got a total "Grand Designs" vibe from this track (one of my favorite Rush songs).
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2021, 09:43:41 PM »
You know Transcending Time makes me think Happy Song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2021, 07:18:50 AM »

The keyboard parts remind me of Styx as well as Yes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »

The keyboard parts remind me of Styx as well as Yes.

I can hear that too. I'd say throw in a bit of Kansas in there as well.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2021, 02:45:52 PM »
Was my favorite song my first time through the album, and after two additional listens, it's still in contention. Truly beautiful stuff.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2021, 11:13:01 PM »
By far my favorite track on the album. I feel like they wanted this album to be more prog, more outside the box and not to follow the conventional song patterns we're all used to, which is not bad at all, but I'm glad they've not ditched it all together. It's just a solid song overall.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 07:27:53 AM »
This song is awesome, possibly my favorite on the new album, and it doesn't sound like Rush to me.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2021, 07:43:38 AM »
Best track on the album. I wish the outro was several minutes longer. I love that piano.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
Best track on the album. I wish the outro was several minutes longer. I love that piano.
If they weren't so hung up on just reproducing the studio recording during live performances, they could do something really cool with that live, like extending that part, and then slowly bringing the other musicians back in one at a time, doing a reprise, or even a cool transition to another song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2021, 08:00:38 AM »
This song is awesome, possibly my favorite on the new album, and it doesn't sound like Rush to me.

I'd say it sound very much like Rush at the beginning, but then quickly goes off into very different territory.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2021, 08:12:23 AM »
If they weren't so hung up on just reproducing the studio recording during live performances, they could do something really cool with that live, like extending that part, and then slowly bringing the other musicians back in one at a time, doing a reprise, or even a cool transition to another song.

I'm really hoping they do something like that. They did it with A New Beginning and JP on the Astonishing tour. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2021, 08:22:00 AM »
I hope that the current trend in streaming for this song, where it currently sits last even behind the 20-minute epic, will not dissuade the band from playing this live.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
After two full listens to the album this is the one that stands out above the rest for me so far. Could be the Rush influence, maybe.

This is me as well.   It's still not perfect - but it's as close as this album has come to that. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »

I think the Rush influence is there, but I don't think it's as obvious as some are making it out to be.  I doubt I would have thought, "Gee, this song kinda sounds like Rush," if I hadn't read it on the internet.  And I have been listening to Rush for 30 years (favorite band now for 30 years).

See, for me, I didn't get more than 30 seconds in and I was like "finally!" There's a lot of Rush in DT across the board, but bear in mind that RUSH changed too; Alex's sound got a lot heavier and denser on the latter day albums, as has John's sound.   It only becomes more obvious - at least to me - when it gets back to that mid-period late 70's early 80's Rush feel, and TT does that without trampling on any one particular song.  I love that mid-period Rush influence in DT, and it's why I&W is my favorite album, because I think it's all OVER that album.  This is a nice throwback to that.   

(I also think of Rush when I think of James; Geddy drastically pulled back his vocal approach after Hemispheres, and I think we're seeing James do that too since The Astonishing; the only difference is that Geddy did that concurrent with Rush taking a more song-oriented approach, and so for me the melodies were more integral and interesting.  DT hasn't found their sweet spot there yet, IMO). 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
I've never listened to Rush outside of the radio hits, and they were the first thing to come to mind when I heard the song's intro  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2021, 10:44:01 AM »
In my initial attempt at the album I didn't make it through Sleeping Giant. Saw this thread and decided to check out this track. Not bad, but boy does this album still sound very boxy and mushed. I don't understand why it sounds so much worse than LTE 3 (maybe it's just the quality of the audio on Amazon Music?). I'm sure sound issues are being discussed elsewhere, so carry on there.

It sounds a bit like Rush in spirit, if not in specifics if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 10:56:38 AM by HOF »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2021, 11:10:48 AM »
I hope that the current trend in streaming for this song, where it currently sits last even behind the 20-minute epic, will not dissuade the band from playing this live.

I've noticed this on many other releases. If the songs in the middle of closer to the end are not singles, they tend to not have as many listens as the first couple of songs. This I feel is people giving the albums a chance and stopping at the first couple of songs, stopping at these songs towards the end and not having the time to come back again, also wanting to listen to the entire album and just restarting from the beginning again (giving those first few songs more listens on Spotify).

Due to this, and many other reason, it's difficult to base the audience reaction off those numbers.

The places I would think they take into account are these forums, their Social Media pages, and YouTube videos (I forget it they have comments allowed or not).

If I were them, I wouldn't care and just play whatever song would work with the new album songs their touring for.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2021, 03:36:40 PM »
This song certainly made the album have a better flow. I think that is what makes this album so great. The way the songs work with each other is excellent. And yes, this song is their more-or-less "typical Rush" worship song, but they do that on almost every album. If they want to wear their influences on their sleeves, that's great as long as it works. And it did with this song!
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2021, 03:40:53 PM »
It's an excellent track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2021, 06:35:31 PM »

I've noticed this on many other releases. If the songs in the middle of closer to the end are not singles, they tend to not have as many listens as the first couple of songs. This I feel is people giving the albums a chance and stopping at the first couple of songs, stopping at these songs towards the end and not having the time to come back again, also wanting to listen to the entire album and just restarting from the beginning again (giving those first few songs more listens on Spotify).

Due to this, and many other reason, it's difficult to base the audience reaction off those numbers.

That was my first thought as well then I saw that the leading track in streaming for the non-singles is Awaken The Master. Transcending Time is quite a number of streams back. So I think it is not the sequence of the album.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2021, 11:56:50 PM »
‘Are you writing and high af again?”
‘No babe, I’m Transcending Time”

haha ok that’s my interpretation of the lyrics… this is Wither but with chemical assistance. Am I wrong?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2021, 12:03:06 AM »
I like this song a lot but the people saying it doesn't sound like Rush to them are freaking me out. If Dream Theater said they licensed old Alex Lifesons recording for this song and remixed them I'd believe it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again