Author Topic: The "Transcending Time" Thread  (Read 6674 times)

Offline The Letter M

The "Transcending Time" Thread
« on: October 21, 2021, 09:03:43 PM »
Figured I'd put up the thread for this song. Very "WWRD" again, but I always seem to enjoy the Rush-insoired songs on DT albums and this one is no exception!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline erwinrafael

Re: The "Transcending Time" Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 09:24:09 PM »
First time I heard it, I was blown away. Their other Rush-inspired songs were like let's get an element of Rush then plug it into a precomposed song but this is one is different. The composition here is more meticulous, there is no sense that they are just plugging in Rush elements because the parts of the song flowed so well into each other. Even the way they played was different from the usual: Mangini, Jordan, Myung. I can imagine Mangini actually smiling while playing this like a kid finally doing a Rush tribute that is not a Rush cover (and he already did around 14!).

I was smiling listening to this from the start but I really fell hard for this song when James sang "...like dreaming wide awake." That was when it really felt this was something special.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 12:21:47 AM »
5:00 and onwards, is some of the most beautiful stuff they have written. And that ending is up there among their poppiest, and makes get the same feeling of happiness similar to the ending of Begin Again. So I am really glad they decided to something this happy, poppy and jumpy again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 01:29:28 AM »
One of my favorites on the album. Love it, i like when DT goes in this style and it's incredibly proggy.

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 05:37:37 AM »
5:00 and onwards, is some of the most beautiful stuff they have written. And that ending is up there among their poppiest, and makes get the same feeling of happiness similar to the ending of Begin Again. So I am really glad they decided to something this happy, poppy and jumpy again.
I was so happy listening to that song for the first time minutes ago that I even cried a little...
This is top game, virtuosity, a little nostalgia, I wished for this song (album).
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 06:49:37 AM »
One of my favorites on the album. Love it, i like when DT goes in this style and it's incredibly proggy.

Yep. Love this song. Might be my favorite off the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 08:24:11 AM »
It’s a bit weird when mike goes from cross stick to snare halfway through the first verse but it doesn’t

match any dynamic change in the song.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 08:27:08 AM »
Possibly my favorite on the album but I really don't understand why they decided to solo over a sinister riff that comes out of nowhere.   That part really holds the song back imo.    Other than that I really like TT!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 09:02:25 AM »

Agreed more art that is uplifting please
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »

Agreed more art that is uplifting please

I listened to it a bit more and it seems to have the same vibe as I Walk Beside You.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 04:27:50 PM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE this song. Great work by JR here. The song suits JLB really well and the lyrics are great. I liked the topic very much. Interesting choice for JP to take the solo in a minor tonality. I didn't expect that.

My lone knitpick here is the way it ends on the 5th. Sometimes that can be a neat way to end the song but here I really wanted to hear it resolve to tonic same way Spirit Carries On does for example.

The last few albums (TA aside) feature a Rush-esque song. I am not sure how I think about this one compared to Looking Glass and Barstool Warrior, both of which I love. I think maybe Barstool is still top for me but this is damn close and it's only day 1.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »
LOVE LOVE LOVE this song. Great work by JR here. The song suits JLB really well and the lyrics are great. I liked the topic very much. Interesting choice for JP to take the solo in a minor tonality. I didn't expect that.

My lone knitpick here is the way it ends on the 5th. Sometimes that can be a neat way to end the song but here I really wanted to hear it resolve to tonic same way Spirit Carries On does for example.

The last few albums (TA aside) feature a Rush-esque song. I am not sure how I think about this one compared to Looking Glass and Barstool Warrior, both of which I love. I think maybe Barstool is still top for me but this is damn close and it's only day 1.

I was waiting for a resolve too. I was thinking of The Answer with that ending, and was expecting that resolve and it doesn't come. I was all, damn....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2021, 10:26:57 PM »
Does anyone else hear James sing "backward CHICKEN clock" around 1:24?  ;D  I can't unhear it now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2021, 11:01:23 PM »
It’s a bit weird when mike goes from cross stick to snare halfway through the first verse but it doesn’t

match any dynamic change in the song.

It's more of composing around the transitions. First, going back to cross stick after a drum fill will not sound good. Second, the transition to the snare builds up more effectively to the prechorus where they go double time.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 12:03:02 AM »
As it stands, I enjoy this song, but I think it may end up being one of those songs where I listen to it one day and my opinion will shift from "This is pretty good" to "I absolutely love this song".

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2021, 01:37:00 AM »
After two full listens to the album this is the one that stands out above the rest for me so far. Could be the Rush influence, maybe.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2021, 01:50:26 AM »
Early impressions is that this is gonna be my favorite song on the album. Absolutely beautiful.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2021, 05:42:32 AM »
I really am enjoying the album after digesting it a great deal over the past couple of days, but this is my favourite track. I absolutely love songs like Status Seeker, Innocence Faded, The Looking Glass, Barstool Warrior etc, and I think this one has some similarities but tops them all. Such a good song to showcase to someone who hasn’t heard the band, with its great sound and vocals, 80’s feel, prog elements and overall pretty tone. Big fan :tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2021, 10:41:35 AM »
I really am enjoying the album after digesting it a great deal over the past couple of days, but this is my favourite track. I absolutely love songs like Status Seeker, Innocence Faded, The Looking Glass, Barstool Warrior etc, and I think this one has some similarities but tops them all. Such a good song to showcase to someone who hasn’t heard the band, with its great sound and vocals, 80’s feel, prog elements and overall pretty tone. Big fan :tup

This song is really fantastic - every bit of it!!! Including the solo, that some of us are feelling a bit forced (?!?!). By the songs listed above, I think if DT wants to compose something a bit more commercial, they always should do something more in that style (than, let's say, like Forsaken  or Paralyzed), they know how to blend prog and AOR really well and naturally IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline 7enderbender

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »
Definitely one of my favorites so far. I think i hear innocence Faded as a reference in the beginning. But I can hear there all these other easter eggs musically and lyrically (DT titles, Rush stuff). Who can help listing them?

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2021, 03:07:32 PM »
I don't really hear Rush in this one, but I dig it no doubt. Love the JR stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »

You should really check out some Rush. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2021, 03:54:38 PM »

Have you heard the song 'Limelight'?  :biggrin:

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
Rush is my all time favorite band. I know all of their music inside and out.

• PR permission
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2021, 04:21:24 PM »

:huh:

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2021, 04:23:04 PM »
Literally how does this sound like Rush? It sounds like DT. Lol.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »
It can't sound like DT.  We were told in another thread that this album sounds like nothing they've done before.  :lol :lol

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 04:38:38 PM »
It can't sound like DT.  We were told in another thread that this album sounds like nothing they've done before.  :lol :lol

Oh yeah, my bad  :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 04:42:43 PM »

And you think the two sound nothing alike in general or here?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2021, 05:03:19 PM »
I really like this one. It’s very positive and uplifting.

Loving the piano outro, complete with the pedal thump, if that’s what that is..

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2021, 06:24:14 PM »

After James sings "...like dreaming wide awake," you can play the guitar melody in Xanadu. :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2021, 06:24:50 PM »

???

The guitars at the beginning don't remind you of Alex Lifeson at all?

I think the song does find a more unique voice though as it goes on. Like there's certainly Rush influence at the end but it's its own style.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2021, 06:31:59 PM »
It's their old school song and I love it. Best of the album for me.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2021, 07:01:28 PM »

And you think the two sound nothing alike in general or here?

In general I definitely think the two bands sound pretty different. DT is often heavier, and the keyboard work is much more prominent and insane than anything Rush ever did.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2021, 07:03:02 PM »

Sorry if this comment sounded a bit rude or defensive by the way. Not my intention.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 07:26:43 PM by UndercoverMyung »