Author Topic: A View From The Top Of The World track discussion  (Read 17753 times)

Offline geeeemo

Re: A View From The Top Of The World track discussion
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2021, 04:02:38 PM »
I don't know.  This is an odd song. The middle is cool. Have to listen some more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2021, 04:08:03 PM »
Never in a million years would I want the entire 6 Degrees song to ever come up in a playlist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2021, 04:38:25 PM »
Can someone explain to me what is happening in the Rapture Of The Deep section?

It's about how if you try really hard to succeed at something, you have to go into a lonely place to do it. And the only person who can really figure out how to make it through is yourself. You feel emotionally vulnerable and you essentially have to become reborn (return to the womb line). But in the end, the fact it is so hard and is so risky is why you stay in that place and keep going back to it.

So you have

Part 1 - Mission statement - Why A View From the Top of the World is enticing
Part 2 - The journey to get there
Part 3 - What waits for you when you make it, the rewards of doing so
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »

It's about how if you try really hard to succeed at something, you have to go into a lonely place to do it. And the only person who can really figure out how to make it through is yourself. You feel emotionally vulnerable and you essentially have to become reborn (return to the womb line). But in the end, the fact it is so hard and is so risky is why you stay in that place and keep going back to it.

So you have

It talks about a "blind descent". He's not talking about descending the mountain?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2021, 04:45:49 PM »
Isn't this connected lyrically to The Alien? At leaat that is how I imagined it. Which is why the character is initially viewing from the top of the world (maybe from space) and in the middle section is making a blind descent, maybe into an unknown planet.

Edit: scratch that, I just heard the lyrics again and it actually is a blind ascent, not descent. So maybe it is about risk taking in gwneral.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 04:51:11 PM by erwinrafael »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »

So you have

It talks about a "blind descent". He's not talking about descending the mountain?

Isn't thia connevted lyrically to The Alien? At leaat that is how I imagined it. Which is why the character is initially viewing from the top of the world (maybe from space) and in the middle section is making a blind descent into an unknown planet.

I don't think either of these ideas is necessarily wrong. But the lyrics are the end are about having the world at your feet and building a legacy. Taking the middle section as metaphorical fits into that better.
Over and over again

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2021, 04:53:00 PM »

So you have

The blind descent into the deep seas.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline rab7

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2021, 04:59:44 PM »
Isn't this connected lyrically to The Alien? At leaat that is how I imagined it. Which is why the character is initially viewing from the top of the world (maybe from space) and in the middle section is making a blind descent, maybe into an unknown planet.

Edit: scratch that, I just heard the lyrics again and it actually is a blind ascent, not descent. So maybe it is about risk taking in gwneral.

According to the lyric book it's actually descent

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2021, 05:00:28 PM »
Also, if you want to connect it to the rest of the album:

- The Alien is about taking over the universe
 - Answering the Call is about higher purpose
 - Invisible Monster is about dealing with anxiety
 - Sleeping Giant is about turning your "shadow self" into something useful
 - Transcending Time is about connecting with the broader universe
 - Awaken the Master is about seeing the deeper truth in things

So the title track can be seen as like the explicit statement of the purpose behind all the other ideas in the album's other songs. You have these songs that talk about greater purpose, power, and knowledge, and the title track is saying all of these things are all parts of the same whole.

So you have

The blind descent into the deep seas.

Or the album is an erotic confessional! It's all up to interpretation man.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 05:05:56 PM by ReaPsTA »
Over and over again

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2021, 05:09:43 PM »
So yes it is descent  hahaha

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2021, 05:23:01 PM »

So the title track can be seen as like the explicit statement of the purpose behind all the other ideas in the album's other songs. You have these songs that talk about greater purpose, power, and knowledge, and the title track is saying all of these things are all parts of the same whole.

;D ;D

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2021, 05:37:32 PM »

;D ;D

And now you've cast off the shackles of sobriety.
Over and over again

Offline krands85

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
I might be wrong, but the cello in the middle break might be Jordan with GeoShred...
He mentions in this video that it is indeed GeoShred.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2021, 06:57:30 PM »
I reacted positively to my first two listens, overall. It definitely needs more time. It didn't run me over like IT, which, were it a man would have taken his penis out and slapped me across the face after bodyslamming me through a fold up table the first time I heard it. It has elements of other mega-epics but at the same time it has its own identity, as another poster said.

But...is it just me or would this song have been perfect as the number 1 track after Pale Blue Dot to end DoT? The beginning of a View sounds very cinematic and outer space-y. I almost imagined the beginning playing while Ripley gets into a space ship to blow up some critters in Aliens or while the crew gets ready to blow up the asteroid in Armageddon. The only part that I am not sure I appreciated was the last quarter. It also seems to end in an anti-climactic way.

I imagine this as the last song before intermission.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2021, 08:49:32 PM »
It didn't run me over like IT, which, were it a man would have taken his penis out and slapped me across the face after bodyslamming me through a fold up table the first time I heard it.

Or the album is an erotic confessional! It's all up to interpretation man.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Obsidian Pancake

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2021, 10:01:35 PM »
Love the song. I find the atmosphere and color of the song, in conjunction with the lyrics, to be really inspirational. During my second or third (maybe fourth?) listen through I grabbed a notepad and churned out some lyrics of my own.

Doug Helvering, of the YouTube channel The Daily Doug, said today in an interview with Jordan Rudess that he would be doing a reaction video to this song soon. His reaction videos are the only ones I watch consistently. He's musically very adept and I enjoy learning from his musical analysis.

Offline Arkarian

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2021, 02:02:36 AM »
What’s that melody that Jordan plays around 16:26? It almost sounds like a video game theme, reminded me of Zelda a lot.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2021, 08:37:27 AM »
What’s that melody that Jordan plays around 16:26? It almost sounds like a video game theme, reminded me of Zelda a lot.

I have to listen to it again. But, there is a section, I think after the Cello, where it reminds me of Kingdom Hearts - Dearly Beloved

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
I will say this: Illumination Theory felt like I digested most of it the first listen, whereas in this one it's packed with more details that I'm appreciating more with repeated listens. Right now for example the harp sounding bits in the first section is absolutely perfect. I also like the song doesn't have the traditional epic crescendo ending but rather a trippy outro. It's refreshing.

Surprised the lyrics are not story driven because the music sounds very cinematic to me without overdoing it.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2021, 05:20:22 PM »
I don't know.  This is an odd song. The middle is cool. Have to listen some more.

My bad. ;D. This is a great song! That middle part is some of the coolest music I have ever heard. And then it is followed by that riff! (Sounds a little like The Walking Shadow)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2021, 07:58:05 AM »
Not only the music but I love the lyrics as well and the imagery they create. Watching the visuals with blu-ray makes it even better.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2021, 09:44:49 AM »
This song is great, a lot better than IT for me, but still not as good as other epics like ACoS and 8V.

I think there are some missed opportunities, some really nice parts that could've been more explored, including the ending. It reminded me of Leprous' The Sky is Red, which ends with an odd riff that you need time to wrap your head around, but it's repeated some times and so creatively that it works almost like a mantra. A View almost got there, a few more bars with some different touches on drums and keys would have delivered it I think.

But the final vocal melody and harmony behind it, that whole part, it is really really good!!

I feel the same, I feel like they could have done a little more with it, but as is, it's still definitely better than IT for me. Not quite up there with ACOS, SDoIT, 8vm, TCOT, it's just not as grand and majestic as those epics. It feels like another song on the album that just happens to be longer than the other songs on the album.

Online faizoff

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »
The build-up leading to the chunky riff kicking in at 6:35 is  :metal
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2021, 11:40:13 AM »
I love the fake finale with those kind of classical music descending chords that Jordan plays. And then BAM into that super-sleazy riff.

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »
Amazing song.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »
I think it's surprising how this song isn't at all focusing on being a big epic like a Grand Finale, 8V, TCOT type of song but instead digs deep into the dark atmosphere and keeps itself there throughout the song. Ending on a descending "legacy" note is basically the opposite of every other epic they have done. It fits the song and honestly I don't think we needed one more classic ending like that and It wouldn't even be true to the song in a way. For me I just needed to understand that it won't be ending like that and it all made sense.

A bit like POS doing the 15 minute TPLOD and it was just a very mellow slow song. Many got the feeling that it was gonna be a big finale in the style of TPE or BTP. I also had a hard time liking the song first because my expectations couldn't enjoy it for what it was.

Anyway I love this song. It just keeps growing at every listen and is so filled with good stuff. It feels like a IT mashed with ACOS. It has the structure of IT to me but part of the darkness of ACOS. IT was kind of built in the style of intro, vers, chorus, vers, chorus, crazy instrumental, orchestra / mellow, transition into build up, crazy instrumental, epic outro. I feels this song is very similar to that without sounding like IT obviously.

• PR permission
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2021, 02:51:33 AM »
 I think that the only part I’ve yet to love is the last third. Not sure why but it feels a little anti climactic on the way out as well. The first two thirds clicked fairly quickly and I love the intro into the opening guitar riff.

I am still digesting but already it’s way better than Octavarium, which doesn’t deserve to be as long as it is. It’s not an A+ like ACOS or IT but still great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2021, 04:45:16 AM »

I am still digesting but already it’s way better than Octavarium, which doesn’t deserve to be as long as it is. It’s not an A+ like ACOS or IT but still great.

:D man i love every second of Octavarium and think A Change of Seasons is their worst epic.

• PR permission
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2021, 07:08:54 AM »

:D man i love every second of Octavarium and think A Change of Seasons is their worst epic.

:lol

It's such a funny thing about this forum-- the opinions here about DT vary so wildly. At the end of the day I think probably the only thing nearly everyone agrees on is "DT is good" or "the guys are good at their instruments."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »
I haven't listened to the album in its entirety yet, but you can bet that I went straight to the closing epic title track.  The last time they did a closing track around 20 mins (DT12), I was nothing short of mortified.  Even after several spins over many years, Illumination Theory continues to be DT's worst epic IMO.  I'm happy to say that after the first listen of this new title track, I found it to be chock full of nothing but totally awesome!  That's pretty rare for me after only one spin of a song that long.  I like everything about it.  There's a lot of new tasty passages and different twists that don't sound re-manufactured.  I really have to say that I'm quite relieved.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:27:34 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2021, 03:31:45 PM »
Worst epic is still A Change of Seasons for me - then In The Presence Of Enemies.

My top 3 are

Octavarium
A View From The Top Of The World
The Count Of Tuscany.

I love the new epic.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2021, 03:34:37 PM »
All I know is that Octavarium is still my favorite epic and Illumination Theory is still my least favorite. I’m thinking that A View From the Top of the World will slot above In the Presence of Enemies but probably won’t quite make it past Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, A Change of Seasons, and The Count of Tuscany.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
I definitely like it more than Tuscany, and probably more than Illumination Theory, but I do love Illumination Theory.

• PR permission
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2021, 04:04:48 PM »
I haven't listened to the album in its entirety yet, but you can bet that I went straight to the closing epic title track.  The last time they did a closing track around 20 mins (DT12), I was nothing short of mortified.  Even after several spins over many years, Illumination Theory continues to be DT's worst epic IMO.  I'm happy to say that after the first listen of this new title track, I found it to be chock full of nothing but totally awesome!  That's pretty rare for me after only one spin of a song that long.  I like everything about it.  There's a lot of new tasty passages and different twists that don't sound re-manufactured.  I really have to say that I'm quite relieved.

What makes it such a mortifyingly bad epic to you?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2021, 04:12:05 PM »
For me it's quite disjointed. The middle section is almost the same as the previous epic and it doesn't flow as well.

I do like the dirty bluesy riff near the end though.

( talking about Illumination....)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:40:59 AM by Kotowboy »