Author Topic: A View From The Top Of The World track discussion  (Read 17755 times)

Offline illusionist

Re: A View From The Top Of The World track discussion
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
We should have a like button and save some posts as Ben_Jamin's above. 👌

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #176 on: October 31, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
I view the song as someone who is not just climbing a mountain, but also going through the steps of preparing, taking on the challenge, and then reaching the top looking across the vast horizon of the world.

It starts with the person wanting to seek a new ambition and determined to take on the new challenge, even if the danger is real and they may fail. Just like a surfer seeks the crest of the biggest wave.

The next section is that person fighting his mentality causing him to doubt himself. But, they're lured by the madness, addicted to the pain to be up there among the so-called elite that have took on such a challenge. Taking chances, even though you may die, over and over again not giving up or accepting defeat.

Rapture of The Deep, I take to mean that moment when they actually do set out to take on the mountain. After all the talk about their ambitions, they set out and the music perfectly enhances that unknown fringe you are walking on. The music sets the emotion and tone for the person taking on the challenge as it's unsure whether they will come out of it alive, will they succeed or fail..."The beauty and the danger, and the yearning to explore always keeps me coming back for more." The guitar solo here at the end makes me think of that person reaching the bottom of the mountain, or the surfer seeing the waves heighten. When the drum lead comes in with the heavy riffs, it's the rock climber placing his hand on that first cornerstone, the surfer standing on their board as the wave grows in size. The trade-off solo's gives me a sense of them being the danger of the falling rocks, the gliding on the wave tunnel, the moment you feel the wind on the edge of the sky, knowing full on it could be your last moment, that is the beauty and the danger.

The Driving Force, is that moment when they do reach the heights of the challenge. The Pinnacle of the mountain, the crest of the biggest wave. That moment when one accomplished the challenge, is on top of the world, looking down upon it. Ending on the main theme of the song..."Self-belief will build a life of legacy." Which is to challenge the mountain, and break the barriers preventing you from achieving greatness.

I see the reprising intro as the next new challenge.  :biggrin:

So after my small quick analysis of the song, i'd rank it...

Octavarium
A View From The Top Of The World
In The Presence of Enemies
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons
Illumination Theory

Now this doesn't mean I don't like the bottom songs. I enjoy all of these epics. I just prefer the messages and themes, and how they relate to the music itself of Octavarium more so than Illumination Theory.

And to me, the journey, the grand theme/message, and the relationship of the musical tones to the journey and theme are how I define an "Epic"....and there are many shorter length songs I would consider epic.

I just finished a mountain bike ride, where the last mile and a half to my house is a very steep hill. View came on just as I began.

When I ride I can really hear and contemplate the words and song meaning.
I totally agree with this post and it is just what went thru my mind.

After the slow middle part and the next part starts with that great riff and energy, I felt like the person is closing in on the accomplishment, can see the top. Knows they are going to make it and gives the final kick. It is joyous and the adrenaline high of the pursuit is peaking.

Such a great song!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #177 on: October 31, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
I came to appreciate it more when I really listened to it. I like it because it also flows really smooth. Before you know it, the adrenaline part kicks in and it's already over.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2021, 03:44:59 PM »
I still feel the same way as before. If it was 17 minutes, it would've been better.

BUT that is just me. I can certainly enjoy the entire song for what it is.

Also, does anyone feel like they are trying waaaaay to hard to make the instrumental section kinda have the same "crazy" structure that Octavarium's had?
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2021, 04:11:14 PM »
I still feel the same way as before. If it was 17 minutes, it would've been better.

Also, does anyone feel like they are trying waaaaay to hard to make the instrumental section kinda have the same "crazy" structure that Octavarium's had?

No. I’ve never even thought of it compared to Octavarium.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TM172003

« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
Same, that’s really not the impression I got.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »
Same here.  It isn't similar to Octavarium's structure at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2021, 08:29:38 PM »

I think I hear what you are saying. I don't know about structures, but there is a part about 16:40 in Octavrium and about 8:40 in The View. It's that fast circular sounding (guitar, keys?). In the animation of Octavarium. The spider starts to chase James in the maze.
The sound alike to me. Not the same. Not a copy. But for that little part, I always think of Octavarium.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
No.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »
I view the song as someone who is not just climbing a mountain, but also going through the steps of preparing, taking on the challenge, and then reaching the top looking across the vast horizon of the world.

It starts with the person wanting to seek a new ambition and determined to take on the new challenge, even if the danger is real and they may fail. Just like a surfer seeks the crest of the biggest wave.

The next section is that person fighting his mentality causing him to doubt himself. But, they're lured by the madness, addicted to the pain to be up there among the so-called elite that have took on such a challenge. Taking chances, even though you may die, over and over again not giving up or accepting defeat.

Rapture of The Deep, I take to mean that moment when they actually do set out to take on the mountain. After all the talk about their ambitions, they set out and the music perfectly enhances that unknown fringe you are walking on. The music sets the emotion and tone for the person taking on the challenge as it's unsure whether they will come out of it alive, will they succeed or fail..."The beauty and the danger, and the yearning to explore always keeps me coming back for more." The guitar solo here at the end makes me think of that person reaching the bottom of the mountain, or the surfer seeing the waves heighten. When the drum lead comes in with the heavy riffs, it's the rock climber placing his hand on that first cornerstone, the surfer standing on their board as the wave grows in size. The trade-off solo's gives me a sense of them being the danger of the falling rocks, the gliding on the wave tunnel, the moment you feel the wind on the edge of the sky, knowing full on it could be your last moment, that is the beauty and the danger.

The Driving Force, is that moment when they do reach the heights of the challenge. The Pinnacle of the mountain, the crest of the biggest wave. That moment when one accomplished the challenge, is on top of the world, looking down upon it. Ending on the main theme of the song..."Self-belief will build a life of legacy." Which is to challenge the mountain, and break the barriers preventing you from achieving greatness.

I see the reprising intro as the next new challenge.  :biggrin:

well done
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »
The section from about 9 mins to about 16 is some of the best music I have heard. I don't know how the whole song is going  to rate, but that middle section and then when it goes in to the groove in the 3rd part. The emotive guitar solos in the 2nd movement, they explode my heart. Then, those kick- ass guitar solos after. This is the first time in a while where I cannot get enough and just want to keep hitting repeat. Bravo!! :hefdaddy

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #186 on: November 05, 2021, 09:36:56 PM »
The section from about 9 mins to about 16 is some of the best music I have heard. I don't know how the whole song is going  to rate, but that middle section and then when it goes in to the groove in the 3rd part. The emotive guitar solos in the 2nd movement, they explode my heart. Then, those kick- ass guitar solos after. This is the first time in a while where I cannot get enough and just want to keep hitting repeat. Bravo!! :hefdaddy

One of the best solos on the new album. I love it when JP slows down. He has way more feel than people give him credit.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline Kram

« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2021, 12:41:30 PM »

One of the best solos on the new album. I love it when JP slows down. He has way more feel than people give him credit.
Agree 100%.  JP can shred with the best of them, but it's his feel and emotion, along with his tone and of course the choice notes he plays in the slower solos that I love the most.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2021, 10:27:15 PM »
This song is SUCH a climber.  I liked it right off the bat, but I am growing to LOVE it pretty quickly.  This one may be up there with Six Degrees, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline illusionist

« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2021, 01:02:09 AM »
I love the middle part with the piano melody and the guitar solos,which are some of the most emotional stuff i have heard from DT,ever.
Such powerful melodies. :hefdaddy

As for the rest of the song,i have not really grasped it yet,that is why i keep listening to it paying attention to every detail.
I am sure that if i see it played live,either being in the concert or watching a YT video,i will 'get' the riffs more,and i will appreciate it more.
Till now the guitar riffs seem quite similar one to another,except the one starting the third part of the song,which is quite distinctive.
I am glad that Bosk has grown to LOVE it (as he said) tho.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2021, 05:21:04 AM »
This song is SUCH a climber.  I liked it right off the bat, but I am growing to LOVE it pretty quickly.  This one may be up there with Six Degrees and Octavarium.

Agree 100%

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
This song is SUCH a climber.  I liked it right off the bat, but I am growing to LOVE it pretty quickly.  This one may be up there with Six Degrees, A Change of Seasons, and Octavarium.
It hasn't hit me quite like that, but I definitely like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2021, 09:10:21 AM »
I still wish the ending was a little better (I like the last 3-4 minutes, but not sure I can say I love them), but the first 15 minutes or so are pretty damn great.  This one has been a grower for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2021, 09:21:47 AM »
I do agree that it's a bit weird how the vocals just stop and the song takes an immediate left turn.

But on the whole it's way better than Illumination Theory for me.

Offline Kram

« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2021, 10:41:38 AM »
Is it a perfect song?  No.  Is it their best epic since Octavarium?  Yes!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
I still wish the ending was a little better (I like the last 3-4 minutes, but not sure I can say I love them), but the first 15 minutes or so are pretty damn great.  This one has been a grower for me.
I feel the same way - the ending is just a little bit of a letdown from the rest of the song. Not bad by any means, but not as good as the rest of the track.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.