Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145242 times)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2485 on: July 08, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »
I think it's a great album. It's thick, dense, technical, yet still melodic, and every sing is endearing.
It does take a few listens to wade through everything, especially a song like Sleeping Giant.

I like it a lot more than Distance Over Time.

So do I easily, and there's a lot on Distance Over Time that I like.

Oh yeah I like it too. I listened to it last week for the first time in a long time and I still liked it about as much as I did when it first came out. I feel like Rudess keyboards were kind of subdued on Distance Over Time.
The latest album just gets better and better for me.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2486 on: July 08, 2023, 06:03:19 PM »
Every album since SC has had at least one amazing solo. I am not hearing one on View that's up there with say Best of Times, Breaking All Illusions, Behind the Veil, etc

I absolutely think the solo on Invisible Monster is among JP's best.  It may not be "amazing" in terms of shredding, but it's beautifully melodic and builds to a perfect conclusion.  It also has that 'song within a song' quality to it that I love.

All depends on one's criteria for a great solo, I guess.

At the suggestion of another poster I created a top 10 JP solos thread. If you decide to check that out you'll see that my top 10 does not prioritize shreddy solos. In fact, 2, maybe 3 could be considered shreddy. Others' lists vary quite a bit.

Invisible Monster has a good solo. I just don't think it comes anywhere near JP's best. When I think of the best JP solos I am thinking of Breaking All Illusions, Best of Times, Spirit. IB does not approach that tier in my opinion.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2487 on: July 09, 2023, 04:29:28 AM »
I even like the solo in Transcending Time.  The super fast shredding part makes me laugh everytime because it's so random.   :lol

I don't know what JP was thinking during that part of the solo.  He's better than that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2488 on: July 09, 2023, 05:42:46 AM »
I even like the solo in Transcending Time.  The super fast shredding part makes me laugh everytime because it's so random.   :lol

I don't know what JP was thinking during that part of the solo.  He's better than that.

Scary thought? He believed that's exactly what the moment called for and he loves it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2489 on: July 09, 2023, 06:13:25 AM »
Breaking All Illusions

We agree about something! 😁

I love this song on so many levels, it's one of my favorites. Seriously seeing it played live from second row in 2017 was life changing. I hope they bring it back again.

I also love Invisible Monster. This song doesn't get enough love.
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2490 on: July 09, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
Listen #3: This feels more like a JLB solo album than DT. I think that's why I am not connecting with it as much. Also just feels very loud and lacking some dynamics. Will keep listening this week.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2491 on: July 09, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »

Man, talk about hitting the proverbial nail on the head.

If someone said, "Hey James, you used to worship at the alter of JP, what gives?"

I'd play them the solo to "Transcending Time," as it pretty much sums up everything I've grown tired of with JP's playing.

Again, he's an amazing player, and Lord knows he forgot more about guitar this morning than I'll ever know, but I think his quest to 'bench press 1000' on guitar has taken his playing to a place that doesn't really move me much these days.

That said, I'm listening to A View (on vinyl) as I type these words, and man, has this record continued to grow on me. It's a damn fine listen. Not necessarily a top-tier album, but it's gotten more listens from over this past year than nearly any other album I own.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2492 on: July 09, 2023, 05:24:47 PM »
I think the "I can't help myself but to shred a little in what is supposed to be a melodic solo" gene has always been a part of JP's musical DNA.  See: the solos in Another Day, The Spirit Carries On and the live Hollow Years from Budokan.  Don't get me wrong, I am a big of Petrucci, but there are definitely times where I wish he'd show a little more restraint than feeling the need to shred just for the sake of shredding.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2493 on: July 09, 2023, 05:29:59 PM »
but there are definitely times where I wish he'd show a little more restraint than feeling the need to shred just for the sake of shredding.

I don't think that's it. I think that's just the way he hears it going.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2494 on: July 09, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »
but there are definitely times where I wish he'd show a little more restraint than feeling the need to shred just for the sake of shredding.

I don't think that's it. I think that's just the way he hears it going.

I agree, and more power to him.

And yes, it's always been a component of his playing, but trust me, his proficiency, speed, and overall tightness as a player has improved since the early days. In that regard, his playing feels (to me) way more clinical than, say, on FII or Awake.

Again, this is totally a 'me' issue, not a JP issue. I still love the band, but it's been a while (or a decade) since a DT solo made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

• PR permission
« Reply #2495 on: July 09, 2023, 06:04:47 PM »
I think solos like TSCO are so good because they take you on a journey and build up into a climax, which is the shreddy part. Without it, that solo just is not the same.

• PR permission
« Reply #2496 on: July 09, 2023, 06:16:00 PM »
Listen #3: This feels more like a JLB solo album than DT. I think that's why I am not connecting with it as much. Also just feels very loud and lacking some dynamics. Will keep listening this week.

This has to be one of the most head-scratching comments I've ever seen on this forum - and I've seen a lot!

How does View in any way sound like a JLB solo record? It has all the hallmarks of a DT album and everything one should expect from the guys, which is not to say it's automatically amazing. In fact it is a little too by the book DT if I had to find a fault with it. I don't see how the album has any more or less dynamics than any other DT record? Front to back it's probably darker and heavier than most but there are moments of relief - Invisible Monster, Transcending Time, a chunk of the big epic - that are comparable to prior works. It doesn't have a ballad so is that what you meant? I don't hear how they departed from their established style on this one in any way shape or form.

I am not expert in JLB solo material, but I just really don't get the comparison here.  ???

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2497 on: July 09, 2023, 07:07:34 PM »
Because the music isn't interesting and it seemed more interested in supporting JLB singing whatever he is singing. I know the music is DT, but it doesn't feel like the DT, but as I have said, I fell out of them after the self-titled.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 07:21:42 PM by Jamesman42 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2498 on: July 09, 2023, 07:08:39 PM »
It's as DT as anything they've done in a long time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2499 on: July 09, 2023, 07:10:59 PM »
I mean, again, it's progressive metal, I know it's DT, but it lacks personality from my few listens. I am still giving it some more chances.

This is like when people got on my case for disliking SFAM :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2500 on: July 09, 2023, 07:13:08 PM »
It's a dense album, and I find that it has a ton of personality.

You're not the only one that hasn't connected with it.

• PR permission
« Reply #2501 on: July 09, 2023, 07:15:07 PM »
I mean, again, it's progressive metal, I know it's DT, but it lacks personality from my few listens. I am still giving it some more chances.

No no, I am not getting on your case for not liking it. I am just perplexed that you think it doesn't sound like DT but rather like JLB solo work. View sounds about as by the book for DT as could be.

People fall out of love with bands all the time so not digging it is not unusual or even something I could criticize.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2502 on: July 09, 2023, 07:18:15 PM »
It sounds more generic, I guess is what I am trying to say, with JLB's classic vocals on top.

• PR permission
« Reply #2503 on: July 09, 2023, 07:20:42 PM »
It sounds more generic, I guess is what I am trying to say, with JLB's classic vocals on top.

ah, ok. I understand that!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2504 on: July 09, 2023, 10:52:24 PM »

I never really paid attention to that solo but after reading these posts, I just listened to that solo and it doesn't sound random at all. The beginning of that super fast shredding part reminds me of neoclassical metal stuff like Yngwie.

I don't think it's one of Petrucci's greatest solos but it definitely has structure and purpose. It's not like of of those drunken-sounding SLAYER or Nile solos.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2505 on: July 16, 2023, 01:26:45 AM »

Took a while for it to click with me (wasn't for a month or so of trying it, coming back, etc) but I would say it's a very "DT" album. It does have a unique vibe, but like most of their albums do. View and DoT are where the Mangini era successfully comes together, imo. Well worth persisting with. 🙂
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2506 on: July 16, 2023, 09:27:19 AM »
I will give it that it has a unique vibe. It's just that it doesn't have any staying power and lacks defining moments that was a hallmark of the DT of old.

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #2507 on: July 16, 2023, 09:51:15 AM »
I will give it that it has a unique vibe. It's just that it doesn't have any staying power and lacks defining moments that was a hallmark of the DT of old.

I respectfully disagree. The solo in The Alien, the groundbreaking Awaken the Master, the epic title song... I think these are "defining moments", along with songs like Answering the Call and Invisible Monster.  The whole album practically qualifies as a defining moment (and nevermind the winning of a Grammy, and all...). ✨
"Whether by your will or not, there is no ship now that can bear me hence." ~ Arwen, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2508 on: July 16, 2023, 11:01:48 AM »

I think it's a perfectly fine and enjoyable album but it certainly lacks the diversity present in some of their earlier albums. I think that's mostly down to the secret sauce that was lost a few years ago.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2509 on: July 16, 2023, 11:06:05 AM »
I respectfully disagree. The solo in The Alien, the groundbreaking Awaken the Master, the epic title song... I think these are "defining moments", along with songs like Answering the Call and Invisible Monster.  The whole album practically qualifies as a defining moment (and nevermind the winning of a Grammy, and all...). ✨

I will say Awaken the Master would be the track I would keep if I had to keep one and delete the rest.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2510 on: July 16, 2023, 11:09:23 AM »

I think it's a perfectly fine and enjoyable album but it certainly lacks the diversity present in some of their earlier albums. I think that's mostly down to the secret sauce that was lost a few years ago.

Okay, but does have an album have to be diverse to be worthy and/or great?  I would say no.  Sometimes, an album can be great by capturing a vibe and staying in it for the duration.  On the flip side, Octavarium is probably one of their most diverse albums from a stylistic song to song standpoint, but I still view it as one of their least best.  (I would take probably the five best songs off A View... over every song from Octavarium that isn't called Octavarium)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2511 on: July 16, 2023, 01:37:36 PM »

I don't know that I agree with this. Now I would say that AVFTTOTW is probably the least diverse of the MM Era, but the other four albums are very diverse.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2512 on: July 16, 2023, 02:21:37 PM »

Okay, but does have an album have to be diverse to be worthy and/or great?  I would say no.  Sometimes, an album can be great by capturing a vibe and staying in it for the duration.  On the flip side, Octavarium is probably one of their most diverse albums from a stylistic song to song standpoint, but I still view it as one of their least best.  (I would take probably the five best songs off A View... over every song from Octavarium that isn't called Octavarium)

There's serious wisdom here :tup :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2513 on: July 16, 2023, 03:53:52 PM »
Haha, thanks!

And to be clear, I am not trying to start an 8V vs A View conversation; I am merely using my subjective opinions of both to demonstrate that diversity is not necessarily needed to make an album great.  Don't get me wrong, I can name many albums that are great, with a broad range of styles being one of the main reasons why it is so good, but I can also name many that are great that are not diverse.  There are many ways to skin a cat and make a good record.  :coolio :coolio

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2514 on: July 16, 2023, 05:50:35 PM »
I can't wait for a live album from this tour.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2515 on: July 16, 2023, 05:55:19 PM »
Did they say that they’re doing one on this tour?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2516 on: July 16, 2023, 06:00:21 PM »

No but I'm hoping for an announcement soon that they are. I just have a good feeling. :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2517 on: July 16, 2023, 06:05:50 PM »
Being pretty unfamiliar with half of DT's MM-era stuff still, how would you guys rank it from ADTOE onward?

From what I have heard:

1. ADTOE
2. s/t
3. View

Online faizoff

« Reply #2518 on: July 16, 2023, 06:17:47 PM »
Mine would be
1. Events
2. Time
3. Theater
4. View
5. Astonish

All albums are 9/10 for me, just varying degrees of preference.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2519 on: July 16, 2023, 06:20:52 PM »

No but I'm hoping for an announcement soon that they are. I just have a good feeling. :tup

This sounds like an informed opinion.