Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 142655 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #2240 on: August 08, 2022, 08:08:36 PM »
Still not a fan.

Of the artwork? Might be time to open it up and listen to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2241 on: August 09, 2022, 06:30:09 AM »
Still not a fan.

Of the artwork? Might be time to open it up and listen to it.

Of the album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2242 on: August 09, 2022, 07:23:45 AM »
Anyone else still in awe of this album and realizing that it's the best thing this band has done? I fear hyperbole but it belongs in the canon of Western music
Probably just you, but I did re-listen a week or two ago for the first time in a while, and I still like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: August 09, 2022, 08:13:54 AM »
Anyone else still in awe of this album and realizing that it's the best thing this band has done? I fear hyperbole but it belongs in the canon of Western music
Probably just you, but I did re-listen a week or two ago for the first time in a while, and I still like it a lot.

I think it's a good album. Nothing spectacular but perfectly enjoyable.

But does it belong in the canon of western music? :lol I love that that LKap13 loves it so much.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2244 on: August 09, 2022, 04:20:36 PM »
Yeah he’s just quintupling down on this  :D. Hey everyone gets to pick the hill they die on . . .

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2245 on: August 09, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »

lol. It's awesome you are enjoying it as much as you are. I think it's a very good album, personally; and I am listening to it a couple times per week.

The album marks a couple of DT high points in my book. They won a grammy, which is amazingly cool. The production including drums sound the best ever. I find it to be an extremely consistent album. When it first came out I thought Invisible Monster was a little deflating, but now in context, I like it more. DT15 is not their best of the MM-era, but I think it is one of their most consistent records ever, front to back. There really are no duds and every song is good if not great.

The one criticism I still have is that we have heard a lot of this before. Still it is an 8/10 for me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2246 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:19 PM »
I think the epic (title track) does ACOS better than ACOS itself...

If that makes sense :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2247 on: August 10, 2022, 06:10:55 AM »
I actually don’t think the production is their best ever. Top 5 for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2248 on: August 10, 2022, 06:15:36 AM »
I actually don’t think the production is their best ever. Top 5 for sure.

Agreed. It's really good by modern day rock standards, and excellent by DT standards in the 21st century (more of their albums are brickwalled than not in the last 20 years), but no way does the production touch those of the albums in the 90s except maybe Scenes which had good production overall, but had a few moments where the mix was a tad muddy.  And I am not one of those people who thinks dynamic range is the end-all be-all of what makes an album sound great, but it can go a long way for sure, and as good as A View... sounds, even just a quick glance now at a few of the songs in Audacity shows that the album has very little dynamic range.  The mix just isn't hot like Distance over Time or muddy as hell like A Dramatic Turn of Events, so the sound is still very good overall.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2249 on: August 10, 2022, 06:23:52 AM »

Not to be "That guy", but "canon" doesn't usually connote any level of quality, just that it's in the accepted universe of that artist/work/genre/story.  So as it's an official Dream Theater studio release, and Dream Theater is a recognized part of "Western music", it is, by definition, "canon".  So are the other 14 albums they've put out.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #2250 on: August 10, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »
Frankly I'm a little shocked. Never thought I'd align more with the Grammy committee than this forum. I'm sure there is someone out there who knows what I'm talking about!

Offline Joshgirouard

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #2251 on: August 10, 2022, 10:22:41 AM »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2252 on: August 10, 2022, 12:43:47 PM »
While I like the album, I think it's too much one dimensional in style, with Trascending Time being the only oddity. Of course I don't mean the songs "sound the same", 'cause obviously they don't, but there's not much variety in general mood, feel and heaviness.

There should have really been a ballad or a slower piece, I think it would have helped to diversify the tracklist a bit more, which I would rearrange like this:

1. The Alien
2. Answering the Call
3. Invisibile Monster
4. Sleeping Giant
5. hypothetical ballad
6. Awaken the Master
7. Trascending Time
8. A View from the Top of the World

They already did on d/t the trick of the ballad before the last long song so Trascending Time would work equally well as "bit of respite before going into the epic".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2253 on: August 10, 2022, 12:45:24 PM »
Frankly I'm a little shocked. Never thought I'd align more with the Grammy committee than this forum. I'm sure there is someone out there who knows what I'm talking about!
Calm down.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IgnotusPerIgnotium

« Reply #2254 on: August 12, 2022, 11:38:09 AM »
I think the epic (title track) does ACOS better than ACOS itself...

If that makes sense :P
No way, it maybe kind of 'inspired' by it but ACOS still makes the epic look like a cheap imitation in comparison. In time ACOS is widely regarded as the best DT's epic, even by some who doesn't care for DT know and love this song..the VFATOTW track, I wonder will it ever be at least at the level of appreciation as say Count of Tuscany?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2255 on: August 13, 2022, 05:55:17 AM »
While I like the album, I think it's too much one dimensional in style, with Trascending Time being the only oddity. Of course I don't mean the songs "sound the same", 'cause obviously they don't, but there's not much variety in general mood, feel and heaviness.

There should have really been a ballad or a slower piece, I think it would have helped to diversify the tracklist a bit more, which I would rearrange like this:

1. The Alien
2. Answering the Call
3. Invisibile Monster
4. Sleeping Giant
5. hypothetical ballad
6. Awaken the Master
7. Trascending Time
8. A View from the Top of the World

They already did on d/t the trick of the ballad before the last long song so Trascending Time would work equally well as "bit of respite before going into the epic".

The middle section of the title track can easily be viewed as the mellow "song" or longer moment of the album. 

Besides, I would argue that a really good or great album doesn't necessarily have to be diverse.  An album being one-dimensional can sometimes works in its favor when a certain vibe is channeled good enough and the songwriting matches it in quality.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2256 on: August 29, 2022, 11:42:42 AM »
Just popping in to say that I'm going back to this album and DoT frequently and truly loving both of them. I would have to put both in my top tier from DT.  And...what really sets them apart from all the other MM era albums is the sonic quality. Both sound awesome to me, including ALL of MM'S percussion instruments. Additionally, it sounds like he is fully integrated into the band and has found his percussive voice.

Kudos to the band for 2 great back-to-back albums!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: August 30, 2022, 09:35:56 PM »
Still not a fan.

I decided to grab it for the car today for some reason.  I've only spun the album twice and hated it both times.  Maybe third time lucky hey......
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: August 30, 2022, 09:38:11 PM »

Jesus, it's been like over six months, probably longer since I came into this thread and you're still carrying on like this?  :lol

Online geeeemo

« Reply #2259 on: August 30, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
I had never given my review of this record as it takes a good long while for me to really get to know the songs. And, I almost always am in love with all the songs and need to let the initial exciment fade.
1. Sleeping Giant. I never want to skip. The second verse is great. 9.5

2. A View. Always love the epics. And it was even better live. That middle section and JP's solos make me turn it louder every time. I'm giving it a 9 because I still don't care for the ending.

3. Answering the Call. I know there is the discussion (again) about James voice, but his lyric writing is a great contribution. This also has a fabulous instrumental section and solo. 9

4. The Alien. This song keeps getting better and and better. With the perfect ending! And I am very happy that the song DT got a grammy for is a song James wrote. 9

5. Invisible Monster. Its a great single, was super live, the keyboard sound and I can relate to the lyrics. 2 videos for it is a bonus. 8.75

6. Awaken the Master. It peaked, and then faded a bit. I do have a good memory though at the concert when I saw JP in the wings waiting with the 8 string. I didnt know the setlist and got very excited knowing what was coming and put up 8 fingers. JP noticed and gave me the nod.  :heart 8.5

7. Transcending Time. Not usually my cup of tea these type of DT songs, but this has grown on me as well. I didnt even skip on my bike ride (I prefer more heavy music on the bike) I like that the solo is edgier sounding. 8.5.

I like this record more than d/t. But AWE is a modern classic.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2260 on: August 31, 2022, 12:34:54 AM »
I still think this album is exactly what the band needed to scratch that classic DT itch. It sums up all I love about them. What can they possibly do next that tops this? I'm looking forward to finding out. When I listen to any album, I listen to it like I'm looking at an artists painting, you can't change it, you can only appreciate the beauty of the vision they had while creating it. Its not mine to say what they should have done or not done. We can only enjoy it for what it is, or not. That's just how I look at it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2261 on: August 31, 2022, 08:02:20 AM »
Opinions, assholes, whatever, but for me, this is not their BEST work but it's a solid piece of work for a band that's been around for 30 years and has 15 or so albums.  As was DoT (which I got into after listening to Berlin). If it's your favorite, then enjoy it!  Good for you! Neal Morse just put out my favorite album of his, as did Iron Maiden.  As I said, opinions, but to me the "extremes" are hard to justify; I'm not sure I can articulate the album that it's their absolute best - are these REALLY better than Scenes, or I&W? - nor that it's their absolute worst - are these really worse than whatever you think was their worst before it was issued?

I know I'm still struggling with Mangini's style. There's no question he's a phenomenal drummer. But I have it in my head now, and I can't unhear it, the forward-ness of the bass drum.  It just FEELS like every song is 672,491 bass drum hits, and every space is filled like that.  My perception, no doubt, but it IS my perception and it persists.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2262 on: August 31, 2022, 08:11:13 AM »
I know I'm still struggling with Mangini's style. There's no question he's a phenomenal drummer. But I have it in my head now, and I can't unhear it, the forward-ness of the bass drum.  It just FEELS like every song is 672,491 bass drum hits, and every space is filled like that.  My perception, no doubt, but it IS my perception and it persists.

;D

I totally understand what you're saying. For me, I consider AVFTTOTW amazing. It's THE album that I wanted from DT.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2263 on: August 31, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
I had never given my review of this record as it takes a good long while for me to really get to know the songs. And, I almost always am in love with all the songs and need to let the initial exciment fade.
1. Sleeping Giant. I never want to skip. The second verse is great. 9.5

2. A View. Always love the epics. And it was even better live. That middle section and JP's solos make me turn it louder every time. I'm giving it a 9 because I still don't care for the ending.

3. Answering the Call. I know there is the discussion (again) about James voice, but his lyric writing is a great contribution. This also has a fabulous instrumental section and solo. 9

4. The Alien. This song keeps getting better and and better. With the perfect ending! And I am very happy that the song DT got a grammy for is a song James wrote. 9

5. Invisible Monster. Its a great single, was super live, the keyboard sound and I can relate to the lyrics. 2 videos for it is a bonus. 8.75

6. Awaken the Master. It peaked, and then faded a bit. I do have a good memory though at the concert when I saw JP in the wings waiting with the 8 string. I didnt know the setlist and got very excited knowing what was coming and put up 8 fingers. JP noticed and gave me the nod.  :heart 8.5

7. Transcending Time. Not usually my cup of tea these type of DT songs, but this has grown on me as well. I didnt even skip on my bike ride (I prefer more heavy music on the bike) I like that the solo is edgier sounding. 8.5.

I like this record more than d/t. But AWE is a modern classic.

I agree with almost every word of this.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2264 on: August 31, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
Same!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2265 on: August 31, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »
Opinions, assholes, whatever, but for me, this is not their BEST work but it's a solid piece of work for a band that's been around for 30 years and has 15 or so albums.  As was DoT (which I got into after listening to Berlin). If it's your favorite, then enjoy it!  Good for you! Neal Morse just put out my favorite album of his, as did Iron Maiden.  As I said, opinions, but to me the "extremes" are hard to justify; I'm not sure I can articulate the album that it's their absolute best - are these REALLY better than Scenes, or I&W? - nor that it's their absolute worst - are these really worse than whatever you think was their worst before it was issued?

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #2266 on: August 31, 2022, 12:33:58 PM »
Still better than DoT but At Wit's End is better than all.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: September 04, 2022, 05:14:27 PM »
Still not a fan.

I decided to grab it for the car today for some reason.  I've only spun the album twice and hated it both times.  Maybe third time lucky hey......

Okay, supposed to go to work, but want to post this first.  So I did infact grab my CD and have played it twice in the car last week.  Prior to this, I had only listened to the album twice and fucking hated it.  I made views pretty clear early on.  Now, I'm always one that knows that sometimes a new album is released from one of your fav bands, however, you're just not in the mood for that style at the time.  I thought this may had been the case.  Letting it sit for almost a year and coming back to it with no expectations, care or even hopes for it.  it's almost a year old, the hype is over, let's just listen. 

A lot of my initial thoughts on the album still stand.  There is so much going on here that is getting praised that I just don't understand.  I find there is moments to be just DT going through the motions and I'm still struggling with a lot of the melodies, or lack of melodies, but........I kind of enjoyed this a little more for what it is.  The production I will say sounds fantastic and despite some lack of melodies, James sounds really nice in places.

The Alien:  Look, this is DT by numbers.  We've heard it all before, but this is fine.  The vocal melodies on this one annoyed the fuck out of me early, but they are okay really.  JP's solo is quite nice here.  I struggle with JP on this album too.  There's some nice stuff but at times he also feels like he's just filling space.  This one is quite creative though. As the song goes on, I really do like that double time melody reprise at 8:13.  Still not blowing me away, but the song is fine.

Answering the Call:  This was the only real song I dug on my first two listens.  I love that heaviness of the riff.  It kind of goes off in a different direction and falls back into the DT by numbers formula but it's not that bad.  The heaviness comes back into the verses.  I do find James a little awkward in the verses though.  Things get more comfortable at 1:30 though and some slight catchiness.  I like the short chorus type thing, I think after a few listens that works well.  One thing I like is the transition into the riffing from the 'will you wager your life,' section.  For some reason I find the use of the word 'wager' a bit strange, not sure why.  I like the tempo shifts during the solo sections, very cool.  No masterpiece here, but a nice tune with a cool atmosphere.

Invisible Monster:  Hated this one at first and again not crazy about it at all.  More DT by numbers here but I still find it pretty stale and sterile.  James sounds half asleep on this one.  The thing is, the chorus is quite catchy but not really in a good way.  Look.....it's fine for what it is, just we've heard it all before and lacks some energy.

Sleeping Giant:  I couldn't for the life of me understand the hype about this song.  Going into this again pretty fresh, it does sound completely different from when I first remember hearing it.  The riffing is kinda interesting at the start.  The verse I struggle with and has that familiar chug sound which gets old pretty quick.  The 'shadows disappear, at night' melody is really quite good.  That sticks in your head and is very simple but pretty effective.  It's subtle but I'm picking up on that now.   The verse again annoys me and I wish the band would change this chug verse style up.  The instrumental section is quite enjoyable.  A bit of an old school DT feel in places.  I actually get SFAM feels during some of it.  It's better this time around but I wouldn't say it's the best song here at all.

Transcending Time:  Could be the best thing here.  Now we are getting some wonderful vocal melodies.  There's melody after melody here.  While it seems the band have fallen into this Rush Limelight formula with a song here and there, this one is nice.  Love James here.  Although, JP ruins it with the solo section.  I still don't know what the fuck he was thinking here.  Completely out of context with the song.  4:14.....seriously John?  I guess it's not that bad but just kind of a filler solo section that doesn't quite fit.  Anyway, not enough to make me dislike the song.  The ending is cool too.

Awaken the Master:  Nothing really opening up for me here.  The riffing is sweet but then it heads into safe territory again, bah!  There's that chugging verse again.  I've tried this song a little but not much doing it for me on this one.  Again, the vocal melodies really lack and for me there's nothing really memorable.

AVFTTOTW: Hmmm.......I completely wrote this off at first, but this may actually be the best thing here.  I really love the lyrics.  Simple but something you can relate too and gives a great vision of what the song is doing and what it's aiming for.  It's got a boombastic intro which is nice and sets it up well.  2:42 has a great melody.  This is what I want more of from John that I feel has lacked a bit on this album.  Wonderful.  The chug of the riff is here, but the odd time and syncopations makes it work and interesting.  The chorus here is nice, great shift in tempo and some nice melodies.  LOL at the LTL vibe going into the second verse.  I do like the very Fates Warning feel of this verse though, that's a nice changeup.

Instrumentally it's all a bit more exciting than a lot of what else is going on in the album and keeps my interest.  The quiet 'blind descent' section gives great imagery and clever writing of that JP melody we heard from the start at 13:13, that's beautiful.  The soloing on this one too seems more creative and inspired than a lot of the album.  Something simple like the rolling harmonics into that bend at 15:01 is so creative and interesting.

Now, the final section, I really really like the tact they took with this.  That's one thing that's different here, you expect a boombastic 8VM, IT type ending but when James hits that word 'legacy' that shift into the outro section really throws you but the two minute ending I think continues the imagery nicely.  I don't know, I can see why people would hate it, but I think it's quite unique and works really well.

So, is it better for me than when it came out, yeah, it's okay.  Is it a fav and will I be grabbing it as my go to DT album......no way.  But I can appreciate it a lot more coming back to it.  The words 'masterpiece' and 'best album they have ever done' really still make no sense to me, but there's some things to like here. 

Song ranking;

1. AVFTTOTW
2. TT
3. ATC
4. TA
5. SG
6. IM
7. ATM

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2268 on: September 04, 2022, 06:12:01 PM »
Kade, I hear ya. The album took a bit of time to grow on me, and I think a part of that was that I was in a different musical headspace when this came out, but part of it as well was that many of the melodies on this one are not immediate.  They are there, but not all of them show their faces right away. Awake was similar for me in that regard, although even with my elevated view of A View..., it still doesn't touch Awake for me, but I am glad I kept at it.  Like you said, it will never be one of my favorite DT albums, but it is not a bottom feeder for me, and I do think it is their best sounding album (from a production and mixing standpoint) since Six Degrees.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2269 on: September 04, 2022, 06:23:53 PM »
The thing is, I want my Dream Theater very technical. And this album is sneaky excellent on the melodies.
It literally took me about 5 listens to Sleeping Giant, but once I woke it..(see what I did there)..it is really an outstanding track.

I am one that was a bit thrown by that final line in the title track, but damn, watching that outro live was just ridiculous.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2270 on: September 04, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »
Cheers for the replies lads.  I'll put it away and get it out again in a couple of weeks I think.  Or I'll see if I have any urge to.  I haven't checked any live performances from the tour at all so really interested actually to watch a couple of the title track.  Hopefully there's a couple of quality ones out there.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2271 on: September 05, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »
Cheers for the replies lads.  I'll put it away and get it out again in a couple of weeks I think.  Or I'll see if I have any urge to.  I haven't checked any live performances from the tour at all so really interested actually to watch a couple of the title track.  Hopefully there's a couple of quality ones out there.

I loved it from the start and grew on me with more listens, but that's only me. I don't think anyone should try that hard to like any album. If its not grabbing you there's nothing wrong with that. There's too much great music out there to force it.  :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #2272 on: September 05, 2022, 11:22:32 AM »
The Alien came up on Spotify and I just can’t get into it. At all. I guess modern DT just isn’t for me. And that’s cool. We had a good run and I’ll still enjoy their older stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #2273 on: September 05, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
I guess modern DT just isn’t for me. And that’s cool. We had a good run and I’ll still enjoy their older stuff.

To each their own of course, but I don't really get the split in the fandom between 'old' vs 'new'. My favorite two albums are AVFTTOTW and Images and Words. Yes they are different, but I fail to see that as a bad thing? If anything I think my top 5 are all more recent (last 10-15 years) other than Images and Words. I suppose it's really subjective! Not trying to start an argument or anything, I just find it interesting. It reminds me of Star Wars fans where you have fans of the Prequels and then those who will ONLY watch the original trilogy.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2274 on: September 05, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
I guess modern DT just isn’t for me. And that’s cool. We had a good run and I’ll still enjoy their older stuff.

To each their own of course, but I don't really get the split in the fandom between 'old' vs 'new'. My favorite two albums are AVFTTOTW and Images and Words. Yes they are different, but I fail to see that as a bad thing? If anything I think my top 5 are all more recent (last 10-15 years) other than Images and Words. I suppose it's really subjective! Not trying to start an argument or anything, I just find it interesting. It reminds me of Star Wars fans where you have fans of the Prequels and then those who will ONLY watch the original trilogy.

I mean, I'm also not a fan of all their old stuff. I just can't connect with their way of writing on the last 3 or so albums. It's just a me thing. Something about how they write songs/melodies/riffs, etc., with a few minor exceptions, just doesn't do anything for me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com