Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 143034 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1680 on: November 20, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Greetings from Finland. I post here very seldom so I try to make it count.

I don't understand the complaints about album not having melody or emotion. Individuals appreciate
different things and for some a DT album without a soaring guitar solos like in Razor's Edge or Barstool Warrior
is lifeless. Same thing if JLB is not hitting those high notes he used to. I think the new album has memorable
melodic passages everywhere and also feeling the emotion. The cheerful ending theme of the Alien, ATC's
beautiful chorus, SG's tasteful last vocal passage, all of TT, the cello section from A View and so on... The
album fills me with joy from start to finish. Are the emotions like the ones I get from, say, I&W,
6DOIT or SFAM? No, but this record has an identity of it's own. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but that
is how I feel.

I'm just so happy about getting a quality album from my favorite band of all time again! DT forever  :angel:

And you did made your post count. I agree very much with what your saying overall.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Kram

« Reply #1681 on: November 20, 2021, 12:01:30 PM »

Have listened the new record non stop driving to work from the moment it was released.
After the first listen I was feeling the same thing many have noted on this forum:
No many things were stuck to my head or stood out particularly. But being a person who
very much likes the music I already know I was sure this was going to change after listening
it more. Now being quite familiar with the record I agree with the claim that the new album
is a grower and very THICK.

Also something I feel after listening to the interviews and noting the rhythmic personality of the album
is that MM has a very big influence in the songwriting within the band. The Alien was written around the
17/16 signature Mike had in mind. Mike was adamant about including one mid-tempo song which became
the Invisible Monster. I wouldn't be surprised if A View, ATC and ATM were also built up from the rhythmic
motifs. And that leads me to a conclusion how A View as an album is one of if not THE most rhythm based
DT album. That might be the reason why some are not feeling JP, JR or JLB are not that stellar this time
around. For me A View is the most balanced effort from the band for quite some time. Every member
compliments the overall sound and make it more than the sum of it's parts.

I don't understand the complaints about album not having melody or emotion. Individuals appreciate
different things and for some a DT album without a soaring guitar solos like in Razor's Edge or Barstool Warrior
is lifeless. Same thing if JLB is not hitting those high notes he used to. I think the new album has memorable
melodic passages everywhere and also feeling the emotion. The cheerful ending theme of the Alien, ATC's
beautiful chorus, SG's tasteful last vocal passage, all of TT, the cello section from A View and so on... The
album fills me with joy from start to finish. Are the emotions like the ones I get from, say, I&W,
6DOIT or SFAM? No, but this record has an identity of it's own. Maybe I'm just easy to please, but that
is how I feel.

I'm just so happy about getting a quality album from my favorite band of all time again! DT forever  :angel:
Good post!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1682 on: November 20, 2021, 02:54:13 PM »
Listening to the new album more, and it is getting there for me.  Talk about a slow grower. :lol

I think Awaken the Master is the clear standout here.  Great song.

Answering the Call is getting a lot better for me as well after being a bit iffy on certain aspects of it prior. 

Still not sure about that ending to the title track, but still a very good song overall, with some great moments.

Invisible Monster doesn't sound as bland to me now; it is more of a solid deep cut for me now.  Not a standout, but not bad at all.

The Alien has grown on me a lot.  I dig it.

Sleeping Giant, which a lot of people seem to love, is one I am still unsure about.  There are parts of it I really like, but just not sure if it all comes together well.

Time will tell, but I am definitely happy that this one is growing on me. 

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1683 on: November 20, 2021, 02:57:37 PM »
^ That's one of the best things about prog music, you can keep digging for a long time.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1684 on: November 20, 2021, 02:59:59 PM »
I think that is true of music in general, not just prog music.

And this is the advantage of DT being such a longtime favorite.  Sometimes you have to live with a record for some time before you really warm up to it, and there are only a handful of active favorites for me who would have gotten this much rope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1685 on: November 20, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
Listening to the new album more, and it is getting there for me.  Talk about a slow grower. :lol

Answering the Call is getting a lot better for me as well after being a bit iffy on certain aspects of it prior. 

Still not sure about that ending to the title track, but still a very good song overall, with some great moments.

Invisible Monster doesn't sound as bland to me now; it is more of a solid deep cut for me now.  Not a standout, but not bad at all.

Sleeping Giant, which a lot of people seem to love, is one I am still unsure about.  There are parts of it I really like, but just not sure if it all comes together well.

Sleeping Giant took a number of listens for me to break down.

Glad it's starting to clear up for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1686 on: November 20, 2021, 03:13:15 PM »
 :tup :tup

Offline MrMike

« Reply #1687 on: November 20, 2021, 06:05:06 PM »
The guitar solo in Invisible Monster gives me chills.  It's certainly not the most technical, but it's so beautifully melodic that I think it's my favorite JP lead on the album.

I also really love how JLB sings "Will you...wager your life" followed by the doomy riff leading into that amazing unison jam on ATC.  Just awesome stuff.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1688 on: November 20, 2021, 07:00:06 PM »

I was gushing about sleeping giant today… love it, so good and classic dt.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1689 on: November 20, 2021, 08:29:21 PM »

Clear up is a good way of putting it

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1690 on: November 21, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
The guitar solo in Invisible Monster gives me chills.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1691 on: November 21, 2021, 09:20:58 AM »
A couple weeks ago while on a flight, when the pilot mentioned we will be on the ground in 25 minutes

Well that's a little vague of the pilot.  :laugh:

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1692 on: November 21, 2021, 08:45:16 PM »
I know this album isn't hitting everyone the same way, but to me it's a mixture of all the essential elements of rock and roll and metal history... Taken to the NEXT level (in terms of layering, texture, complexity, instrumentation and pure sound quality). So yea, def one of the greatest albums of all time.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1693 on: November 21, 2021, 09:00:32 PM »
I know this album isn't hitting everyone the same way, but to me it's a mixture of all the essential elements of rock and roll and metal history... Taken to the NEXT level (in terms of layering, texture, complexity, instrumentation and pure sound quality). So yea, def one of the greatest albums of all time.

100%

Offline TM172003

« Reply #1694 on: November 22, 2021, 04:47:47 AM »
Mangini keeps mentioning a “helicopter” sound that he triggers with his foot in the title track but I’ve got no idea what he’s talking about, does anyone have a time stamp? Cheers

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1695 on: November 22, 2021, 06:41:16 AM »

Have listened the new record non stop driving to work from the moment it was released.
After the first listen I was feeling the same thing many have noted on this forum:
No many things were stuck to my head or stood out particularly. But being a person who
very much likes the music I already know I was sure this was going to change after listening
it more. Now being quite familiar with the record I agree with the claim that the new album
is a grower and very THICK.

Also something I feel after listening to the interviews and noting the rhythmic personality of the album
is that MM has a very big influence in the songwriting within the band. The Alien was written around the
17/16 signature Mike had in mind. Mike was adamant about including one mid-tempo song which became
the Invisible Monster. I wouldn't be surprised if A View, ATC and ATM were also built up from the rhythmic
motifs. And that leads me to a conclusion how A View as an album is one of if not THE most rhythm based
DT album. That might be the reason why some are not feeling JP, JR or JLB are not that stellar this time
around. For me A View is the most balanced effort from the band for quite some time. Every member
compliments the overall sound and make it more than the sum of it's parts.

is how I feel.

You answered some of your own questions.   "You don't understand"?   It's just "that's how others feel".   I've written that here a couple times.  I don't think about whether I like something or not, I just do.  It's a feeling, I don't control it.  Maybe I'll go back and try to put logic or reason to it, but there's none in the initial read/listen. 

I've listened a couple times since posting last, and the parts I like I seem to be liking more and more; the criticisms seem to be the same though.  It's a good record.  I don't share the "greatest of all time" feelings (someone else said that, not you, I know that), though. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1696 on: November 22, 2021, 07:35:49 AM »
Mangini keeps mentioning a “helicopter” sound that he triggers with his foot in the title track but I’ve got no idea what he’s talking about, does anyone have a time stamp? Cheers

Basically most of the intro and then again before that small drum solo that leads into THAT riff. (14:07)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TM172003

« Reply #1697 on: November 22, 2021, 08:18:51 AM »
Haha yeah, I listened to it a bit after I asked the question and instantly realised it was the intro. Sorry :laugh:

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1698 on: November 22, 2021, 12:06:51 PM »
Worth to mention, Invisible Monster is getting better each time I listen to it. That song is build up out of so many different fragments, which is why I can't get enough of it. I listened to it plenty of times when it came out. Then somehow lost 'track' of it a little, but the Invisible Monster is right back under my bed lately.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1699 on: November 22, 2021, 06:17:04 PM »

I've listened a couple times since posting last, and the parts I like I seem to be liking more and more; the criticisms seem to be the same though.  It's a good record.  I don't share the "greatest of all time" feelings (someone else said that, not you, I know that), though.

I think this is the conclusion I am reaching.  With so much internet hyperbole in both directions about new releases, it's easy to forget that sometimes an album can be simply good.  Not everything has to be the greatest thing ever or a piece of crap. A lot of albums are good.  And good is, well, good.  And I have listened enough to say that A View from the Top of the World is a good album.  I can be happy with that, 15 studio albums into their career.  :tup :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1700 on: November 22, 2021, 07:56:00 PM »

I think this is the conclusion I am reaching.  With so much internet hyperbole in both directions about new releases, it's easy to forget that sometimes an album can be simply good.  Not everything has to be the greatest thing ever or a piece of crap. A lot of albums are good.  And good is, well, good.  And I have listened enough to say that A View from the Top of the World is a good album.  I can be happy with that, 15 studio albums into their career.  :tup :tup

You are so right. I think at this point being happy with an album is a good enough reason to listen. Expectations usually get in the way of just enjoying an album for what it is as long as it’s enjoyed. I like Black Flag and they are a sloppy mess musically but they are a great punk band and I enjoy them a lot. My point is not everything needs to be dissected to shreds. I know this is the bands forum and debates are fun but at the end of the day, to me, a song doesn’t have to be completely original, new or perfect to be enjoyed. We all like what we like and no one has to defend themselves either way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1701 on: November 22, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »

You are so right. I think at this point being happy with an album is a good enough reason to listen. Expectations usually get in the way of just enjoying an album for what it is as long as it’s enjoyed. I like Black Flag and they are a sloppy mess musically but they are a great punk band and I enjoy them a lot. My point is not everything needs to be dissected to shreds. I know this is the bands forum and debates are fun but at the end of the day, to me, a song doesn’t have to be completely original, new or perfect to be enjoyed. We all like what we like and no one has to defend themselves either way.

Yep, yep.  These discussions would be no fun if we all liked the same thing.  Heck, some still think Awake isn't their best, and while they are wrong :P, they are entitled to that opinion.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #1702 on: November 22, 2021, 10:02:14 PM »
I think it’s a very good record for a band that is 15 albums in.   Stylistically, they are finally pretty much all the way back to the band I fell in love with.  The only difference is that they are 20 years older now and James while still capable and enjoyable is understandably not as versatile or powerful. 

If you told me Dream theater took a 20 year break after six degrees and then made AVFTTOTW I would say that makes perfect sense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1703 on: November 23, 2021, 08:22:20 AM »
Sometimes I think we get too caught up in rankings, so something new that comes out either has to be "the greatest thing they've ever done" or "rubbish". 

This is one of my favorite bands, and I was looking forward to a new release.  What they released is something that works for me, and I relish it.  "Good", "very good", "great", "masterpiece", I don't know man, time will tell.  I just know that I like it a lot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LKap13

« Reply #1704 on: November 23, 2021, 08:24:54 AM »
Is it common for new dt releases to be called the greatest thing ever? Was that done for dot?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1705 on: November 23, 2021, 08:49:02 AM »
Is it common for new dt releases to be called the greatest thing ever? Was that done for dot?

I doubt anyone has had the temerity to suggest that since Scenes or maybe Six Degrees.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1706 on: November 23, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
Sometimes I think we get too caught up in rankings, so something new that comes out either has to be "the greatest thing they've ever done" or "rubbish". 

This is one of my favorite bands, and I was looking forward to a new release.  What they released is something that works for me, and I relish it.  "Good", "very good", "great", "masterpiece", I don't know man, time will tell.  I just know that I like it a lot.

BOOM....nailed it.

With the longevity of this band and the fact that a large portion of us started listening to them when we were teenagers (I was 16) DT is just competing against themselves when it comes to these releases. There's no way to replace that 'magic' of discovering DT and taking that fresh journey or the amazement and awe that came with that 'sweet spot' of their career when they were in their 'prime'.

I'm not diminishing what they've done recently or saying that back then was better than now....I'm just suggesting that with the amount of music DT has given us....it's near impossible for them to utterly WOW us at this point.....yet....album after album there are multiple WOW moments.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1707 on: November 23, 2021, 11:05:21 AM »

I doubt anyone has had the temerity to suggest that since Scenes or maybe Six Degrees.
I've seen at least some people do it on every release that I can remember.  It's not always very many people, but it's different strokes for different folks, baby.  No matter what comes out, it will be someone's favorite.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1708 on: November 23, 2021, 12:04:21 PM »
Not sure if it got mentioned elsewhere, but The Alien gets a Grammy nod for Best metal Performance.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1709 on: November 23, 2021, 12:07:17 PM »

Totally agree, and same boat here.  Images and Words completely blew me away when I first heard it mostly because it was so revolutionary from what I'd heard to that point in my life.  My favorite band has been making great albums ever since, I'll never complain.  Expecting them to 'top' I&W, to me, is a fool's errand.  That absolutely does not take away from the gems they continue to deliver.

Also - big congrats to the band on the Grammy nomination for 'The Alien'!

Offline Kram

« Reply #1710 on: November 23, 2021, 12:27:52 PM »
Not sure if it got mentioned elsewhere, but The Alien gets a Grammy nod for Best metal Performance.
That's awesome!  Mangini (and the rest of the band) certainly deserve a Grammy for that performance!

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1711 on: November 23, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
Honestly I haven't been on here for awhile, but thought I'd see what the group was feeling with the new album out for a bit now.  Interesting takes on some of the songs, although I am getting a majority major thumbs up from folks.

I've listened to it about half a dozen times through but haven't been able to sit down with headphones and really LISTEN if you know what I mean.  So far, it's a decent album for me, but it's definitely going to be a slow grower as I hear more and more of it.  One thing I will say, having recently started learning the guitar for the first time at 50+ years old...JP is damn amazing at what he does.  :metal

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1712 on: November 23, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

That's pretty cool...I did see that. It'd be great for these guys to get a win even though we all know the Grammy's are a popularity contest and those who win aren't necessarily 'the best'. But, for the longevity of their career and the fact that they submitted for consideration so you know they'd like to get one....I hope they eventually get the recognition.

What's weird (for me) is that when Invisible Monster was released I thought it was extremely boring and just meh. Within the context of the album and with multiple listens it's a really good song....very well done.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline emtee

« Reply #1713 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »

Wow! Very cool. This will be a top 3 album for this year. Amazing album from start to finish. And with headphones on...forget about it. Crazy good.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1714 on: November 23, 2021, 02:12:56 PM »

That's pretty cool...I did see that. It'd be great for these guys to get a win even though we all know the Grammy's are a popularity contest and those who win aren't necessarily 'the best'. But, for the longevity of their career and the fact that they submitted for consideration so you know they'd like to get one....I hope they eventually get the recognition.
True story, it is more of a popularity contest.  Some of the bands on the list are Gojira, Mastadon, and Rob Zombie. The likelyhood of DT winning that is slim, even though The Alien is probably the most musical song in the category.   I'm sure the other songs are a lot shorter and the judges will gravitate towards that, but who knows.
Dream Theater definitely deserves an accolade in this dept..   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP