Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145225 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1295 on: November 04, 2021, 06:38:26 AM »
The intro of Awaken the Master just doesn't do it for me. It's kind of fun. I'm sure it's really hard to play. I respect it. Can't jam to it.

To get it, I actually sang it.

TurututuPAMPAMTurututuPAMPAMPAMTurututuPAMPAMTurututuPAMPAMPAMPAMPAM

:lol

With every 'PAM' actually being three notes.

I love the very intro - the first 0:20 seconds; the riff is awesome, and I love what sound like cymbals accenting the hits.  Love it.  Then at 0:26 or so, it falls back into the same routine:  87 bass drum hits tracking the rhythm.  That's what I'm talking about.  The keyboard part saves it a bit - the legato lines over the complicated rhythm, giving it some balance - but it seems to be the pattern of the album. Overplay the complexity until it's distracting TO ME.

I am curious. Given that very low and very metal riff that JP was playing, how would you drum that part? When Portnoy was given very low and very metal riffs, he also tracked them with his bass drum. The Dark Eternal Night. This Dying Soul. Honor Thy Father after the offbeat part. Panic Attack. To name a few.

And again, the hyperbole with that 87 bass hit comment. Mike is only hitting the 1234 in his bass, not tracking the whole riff with his bass. He was going 1234 snare snare, 1234 snare tom something else whatever. There were only a few bars he went double bass for variation.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 07:33:42 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1296 on: November 04, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »
On a scale of 0-1000, where 0 means "no surprise" and 1000 "highly surprising", I'm at level 0 that the discussion is about Mike Mangini.

:)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1297 on: November 04, 2021, 07:11:07 AM »
The title track I have mixed opinions on. The shifting time signatures in the "All my natural instincts are begging me to stop" verse are perfect. It fits the story that the groove always keeps you just off center. But a lot of the sections are built on odd number over eight grooves that are interesting, and do make the song feel darker, but they're really hard to feel the groove for. Does that make the song worse or do I need to get better at listening to music? The mind wanders.

GET GOOD
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: November 04, 2021, 07:20:53 AM »
I think after a couple of weeks that I may prefer Distance Over Time just slightly but the new album is really close.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1299 on: November 04, 2021, 07:22:52 AM »
Caved and bought the deluxe box set for my birthday. I'm looking really forward to receiving it at some point in the next two business years.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1300 on: November 04, 2021, 07:24:59 AM »
Oh hey, I FINALLY received my artbook set.  I haven't had time to listen to the instrumental version or watch the blu-ray, but the packaging is definitely gorgeous.  Very impressive.

As the number of physical CDs that I buy dwindles, I have really come to love this format for the ones I get. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1301 on: November 04, 2021, 07:30:51 AM »
Oh hey, I FINALLY received my artbook set.  I haven't had time to listen to the instrumental version or watch the blu-ray, but the packaging is definitely gorgeous.  Very impressive.

As the number of physical CDs that I buy dwindles, I have really come to love this format for the ones I get.

I’m a fan of the artbooks as well. The blu-ray is awesome! The visuals for the title track really bring it to life. Enjoy!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1302 on: November 04, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
I think after a couple of weeks that I may prefer Distance Over Time just slightly but the new album is really close.

I had the same exact thought this morning...

While DOT took a while for me to come around, once it clicked, I listened to it incessently.

This new record is damn good, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it, but it lacks an 'At Wits End' caliber song, and for that reason alone, I suspect it will wind up as a 'middle of the pack' release for me. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and at this point, 15 albums in, I consider the band's ability to still deliver a solid release to be a pretty impressive feat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: November 04, 2021, 07:59:29 AM »
I'd put it alongside Distance Over Time - still very good but it doesn't have the same highs. Quite.

Yeah there's not quite a Wit's End or Pale Blue Dot. Transcending Time isn't quite as good as Barstool Warrior.

Alien & Untethered are pretty close. Answering The Call, Awaken The Master and the Title Track are all amazing though.

But also there's no song I skip

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1304 on: November 04, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
Since we are talking now about D/T...

Last week I made two "album playlists" mixing songs from the two so I can get the balance of the directness of D/T and the virtuosity of AVFTTOTW.

Velocity

Legacy

I am loving this alternate albums.  :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #1305 on: November 04, 2021, 08:12:32 AM »
I stated something similar a few pages back, but this album is copping the exact same amount of treatment as every new album. Some (I’ll include myself in this group), will like most the things the band has done and may not connect with everything, but will find things they enjoy on every DT release. Some will hail the new album as the holy grail, born from the mountaintops of Jerusalem after a day of listening. Some will flat out not enjoy it. Some won’t give it a “real” chance, because they really just aren’t into the band anymore. Some will still swear black and blue that MM just overplays everything and has sucked the life out of the band, etc, etc.

All I know is: I’ve been listening to the band for over 30 years (I cherished my Images and words cassette). And the band has given me some real joy and music to smile about over the years. I love every album to varying degrees. But EVERY album has tracks I skip too. I take the good with the not so good. I liked MP’s drumming, he needed to be replaced, and I like MM’s drumming just as much. Debate it all you want, but the truth is - they are drummers, and both of their work with the band is just fine. The average punter wouldn’t even know they changed drummers if you played them some random tracks.

Im not technical at all. So, it comes down to how the songs sound. And they have high quality tracks on every release from WDADU right to the latest in View. To suggest laziness, or so and so doesn’t sound great - it’s DT. Nothing is that different. They experiment. They time change. They do long. They do short. They do epic. They do metal. They do melody. And they still always bring quality after over 30 years…

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: November 04, 2021, 08:14:42 AM »
I take every album on its own merits.

I dont understand things like " well this album is ok but its not Scenes from A Memory and the epic isnt A Change of seasons so its shit "

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1307 on: November 04, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
I stated something similar a few pages back, but this album is copping the exact same amount of treatment as every new album. Some (I’ll include myself in this group), will like most the things the band has done and may not connect with everything, but will find things they enjoy on every DT release. Some will hail the new album as the holy grail, born from the mountaintops of Jerusalem after a day of listening. Some will flat out not enjoy it. Some won’t give it a “real” chance, because they really just aren’t into the band anymore. Some will still swear black and blue that MM just overplays everything and has sucked the life out of the band, etc, etc.

All I know is: I’ve been listening to the band for over 30 years (I cherished my Images and words cassette). And the band has given me some real joy and music to smile about over the years. I love every album to varying degrees. But EVERY album has tracks I skip too. I take the good with the not so good. I liked MP’s drumming, he needed to be replaced, and I like MM’s drumming just as much. Debate it all you want, but the truth is - they are drummers, and both of their work with the band is just fine. The average punter wouldn’t even know they changed drummers if you played them some random tracks.

Im not technical at all. So, it comes down to how the songs sound. And they have high quality tracks on every release from WDADU right to the latest in View. To suggest laziness, or so and so doesn’t sound great - it’s DT. Nothing is that different. They experiment. They time change. They do long. They do short. They do epic. They do metal. They do melody. And they still always bring quality after over 30 years…

spot on

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1308 on: November 04, 2021, 08:43:27 AM »
Another entire page of commentary, and yet nobody has provided a SINGLE example of MM's drumming making 4/4 sound like 13/27. Which just proves what an absurd statement that is.

AND

Some commenter: This album does not have simple rhythms. It is complex for complexity's sake.

Awaken The Master: Am I a joke to you?

The Alien: I guess my chorus does not count.

Sleeping Giant: I know I should not have played the whole 2nd verse and chorus in 4/4. They would not even notice.

Well, no, you haven't gotten the examples that YOU want. I HAVE given examples of what I'm talking about

No, you have not. You have repeatedly said MM's drumming style makes a 4/4 part sound complex - that's the claim. Forget the 13 or 17 or whatever. Can you point out one specific part over the last 5 albums where is playing in 4/4 but making it sound overly complex. If this is so characteristic of his style you should be able to find at least one example without writing hundreds of words going around and around in circles.
[/quote]

Look.  I've explained it the best I can.   Can I, sitting here over my coffee listening to a boring work conference call name a SPECIFIC instance of a "4/4 part" that "sounds like 13/27"?  No.  You win.  You got me.   That and $2.83 will get you a Starbucks. 

LITERALLY does not change one other word I've written.   I CAN - and I'm getting closer and closer to actually doing it, though it will likely incite riots or at least the attention of Bosk and Hef - go through and re-listen to the record and cite EVERY instance where the IMPRESSION of that feeling is there.  EVERY instance where I'm distracted by the over-emphasis on the bass drum at the expense of the rest of the band/rest of the song in that moment.  Where something slightly more subtle - no less complex, or virtuostic, but perhaps less intrusive to my listening - might serve.   

Having said that, don't read anything more into it.  I'm not "comparing" Mangini to Portnoy. I'm not "done" with DT (D/T is probably my favorite DT since 8V; that's a pretty good testimonial).  I'm not slagging anything off, nor calling them "lazy", in fact I called that out.   I'm not even asking them to do differently, as I am fiercely in favor of hearing THEIR choices.  I listen to artists to hear THEIR view of their work.  All I'm doing is relating my emotional reaction to this record and hopefully having a spirited debate about it.  That's why we're here. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1309 on: November 04, 2021, 08:53:54 AM »
As far as comparing to D/T, I don’t know yet. I don’t think I like any of the new songs as much as Barstool Warrior or At Wit’s End, aside from maybe the title track.

I’ll also say that they’ve definitely found “their sound”.  They experimented a lot throughout the 2000s. But in the last decade they seemed to have honed in on something that is like an evolution of the I&W/SFAM sound.  They haven’t really varied much from that, but they’ve perfected it.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: November 04, 2021, 09:03:25 AM »
Another entire page of commentary, and yet nobody has provided a SINGLE example of MM's drumming making 4/4 sound like 13/27. Which just proves what an absurd statement that is.

AND

Some commenter: This album does not have simple rhythms. It is complex for complexity's sake.

Sleeping Giant: I know I should not have played the whole 2nd verse and chorus in 4/4. They would not even notice.

Well, no, you haven't gotten the examples that YOU want. I HAVE given examples of what I'm talking about

No, you have not. You have repeatedly said MM's drumming style makes a 4/4 part sound complex - that's the claim. Forget the 13 or 17 or whatever. Can you point out one specific part over the last 5 albums where is playing in 4/4 but making it sound overly complex. If this is so characteristic of his style you should be able to find at least one example without writing hundreds of words going around and around in circles.

I'm wondering what is the point of continuing this?  If people enjoy the record, great.  If they don't enjoy the record, great.
 There's always a dividing line with DTs fanbase, it's been happening since Awake and it's never going to change. 

What MM can do, technically, has opened up avenues for the band that they obviously want to keep exploring.  It sounds great to my ears - whether someone else enjoys it is not my concern. 

Maybe I'm just old, I've never seen discussions like this end with 'Hey you know what, I know exactly what you mean now and I totally agree with you'.
[/quote]

Some of us DO do that.  And I don't even need "I agree with you."  I don't even need "I know exactly what you mean."  ReaPsTA actually had the perfect answer already about a half a page up.  The ONLY reason I'm continuing this so diligently is the way those that don't view this as Scenes From Six Degrees of Octavarium Images seem to be subject to implicit subtle criticism; we're not giving it enough time, we're not educated enough, we're "done" with DT, we can't let the past go, we haven't given ample examples, etc.     

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1311 on: November 04, 2021, 09:08:01 AM »
Well, Mike Mangini is tame on the bass drums compared to Bobby Jarzombek, so hey, I love Fates Warning.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: November 04, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »

AND

I’m a fan of the artbooks as well. The blu-ray is awesome! The visuals for the title track really bring it to life. Enjoy!

Does that have the 5.1 mix?  Either of you listen to that yet?  I'm sort of kicking myself I didn't get that.  I do think some of the songs on this record would REALLY take on new life in surround.   Since I moved in July I haven't put the full setup in place or "tuned" it, but I have a good room now for that and it would be sweet to test drive it with Dream Theater.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1313 on: November 04, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »
It does. I have. And it’s awesome.
Can't we find the minds

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1314 on: November 04, 2021, 09:49:42 AM »

I had the same exact thought this morning...

While DOT took a while for me to come around, once it clicked, I listened to it incessently.

This new record is damn good, and I've enjoyed the hell out of it, but it lacks an 'At Wits End' caliber song, and for that reason alone, I suspect it will wind up as a 'middle of the pack' release for me. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever, and at this point, 15 albums in, I consider the band's ability to still deliver a solid release to be a pretty impressive feat.

Interesting.  I keep coming back to this album and having different song or bits of songs stuck in my head.  I didn't find D/T quite as..."addicting," for lack of a better term.  But your point about it lacking "an 'At Wits End' caliber song" is an interesting one.  I'm not sure I would go that far, at least not yet.  But while the album as a whole is pretty addicting, there isn't a particular song that has had such a huge impact on me as At Wits End, S2N, or Out of Reach.  I'm not sure what that will mean as time passes and I can setting this album into my private DT discography ranking.  But it's interesting to ponder.

But a lot of the sections are built on odd number over eight grooves that are interesting, and do make the song feel darker, but they're really hard to feel the groove for.

That is an interesting point.  On my initial couple of listens, I felt that exactly that way too.  As I became more familiar with the songs, I..."found the groove," for lack of a better description.  It just kind of fell into place.  But I agree that it isn't as accessible on the surface on this album as on their past ones, and I wonder what that will mean in terms of overall reception.  And I wonder whether, for some, "the groove" just won't ever click for them.

Wow, what a great post.  I can't say I agree with every word of it, but I pretty much agree with the overall sentiment of every point.

ReaPsTA actually had the perfect answer already about a half a page up. 

Well, that's why Reap is U.N.Y.  :uny: 

But to address the last few pages of posts from a 30,000 foot level, I have to say that erwinrafael is spot on in his criticisms of what you post.  You keep making statements, NOT providing examples (notwithstanding your protests that you have), and shifting the goalposts when asked for clarification.  He and others are not asking you to write a treatise to defend yourself, but just to provide a few specifics and stop making grand pronouncements that have an authoritative tone without any substance to back them up.  Either (1) stop writing treatises that don't substantive address the very issues you are raising, and actual address the issue with something approaching conciseness, or (2) stop arguing, because you are going in circles.

Interesting.  I haven't really bought into that format.  It takes up too much space, and I actually would prefer that new CD purchases fit neatly onto the CD shelves next to the other CDs without calling attention to themselves or needing a custom space that I frankly don't have.  My wife HATES that I still buy CDs.  My purchasing of physical media has somewhat tapered off in recent years, but I'll still buy the physical media for bands I actively listen to regularly.  But I have been going digital only for some.  I have had a string of purchases in the past few months that have resulted in my wife scratching her head at the new pile of CD's on my dresser (Transatlantic, Epica, Neal Morse, Evergrey, Fates, Trivium, Maiden, DT) and wondering what happened to the digital-only movement.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1315 on: November 04, 2021, 10:30:03 AM »
Dream Theater are so good they actually suck.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1316 on: November 04, 2021, 11:04:30 AM »

AND

I'm wondering what is the point of continuing this?  If people enjoy the record, great.  If they don't enjoy the record, great.
 There's always a dividing line with DTs fanbase, it's been happening since Awake and it's never going to change. 

What MM can do, technically, has opened up avenues for the band that they obviously want to keep exploring.  It sounds great to my ears - whether someone else enjoys it is not my concern. 

Maybe I'm just old, I've never seen discussions like this end with 'Hey you know what, I know exactly what you mean now and I totally agree with you'.

Some of us DO do that.  And I don't even need "I agree with you."  I don't even need "I know exactly what you mean."  ReaPsTA actually had the perfect answer already about a half a page up.  The ONLY reason I'm continuing this so diligently is the way those that don't view this as Scenes From Six Degrees of Octavarium Images seem to be subject to implicit subtle criticism; we're not giving it enough time, we're not educated enough, we're "done" with DT, we can't let the past go, we haven't given ample examples, etc.   
[/quote]

Fair enough.  My point was why bother wasting any time caring about this (in either direction, really)?  It's your time, though - I'm in no position to say how you should spend it. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: November 04, 2021, 11:06:28 AM »
I'm not big on DT 'ballads' as a whole - but they do some amazing ones.

If A View From The Top of The World was 80 minutes of songs like This Is The Life or The Answer Lies Within ... I'd love it if the SONGS were great.

I don't care how fast or heavy an album is. Doesn't even matter to me. Songs FIRST. Everything else is secondary.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1318 on: November 04, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
Dream Theater are so good they actually suck.  :lol :lol :lol

They are horribly great  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1319 on: November 04, 2021, 11:12:15 AM »

Funny you should say that, because I was just thinking about that.  I'm not a big ballad guy either.  Pre-Mangini (and I am using this merely as a time reference--I don't know that it has anything to do with Mangini himself), their ballads were a mixed bag for me.  I didn't really care for most of them, but they occasionally would write truly outstanding ones.  But the ones from ADTOE on are mostly ALL outstanding.

Anyway, I guess that doesn't have anything to do with this album.  But since you mentioned the point, I wanted to expand upon it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: November 04, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »
I was thinking about this ... Dream Theater are all WORLD CLASS musicians amongst the absolute best at their instruments..

Yet they don't REALLY write boring dull 70s style prog. They actually write good SONGS and the virtuosity is like the icing.

When I think of more classic prog I think of ultra-pretentious, finger-chewingly tedious nonsense like King Crimson.

A friend and I were watching a live rendition of Indiscipline. And Robert Fripp was pretty much playing one chord the whole time.

I said to my friend " :lol This band are so pretentious - he's probably still reading the chart for that one chord he plays..."

So yeah. I think of Dream Theater as a rock band who have prog *elements* without going into the super-pretentious unbearably tedious

territory.

Also no songs about wizards and dragons and maidens ( for the most part ;D )...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1321 on: November 04, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »

If A View From The Top of The World was 80 minutes of songs like This Is The Life or The Answer Lies Within ... I'd love it if the SONGS were great.

I don't care how fast or heavy an album is. Doesn't even matter to me. Songs FIRST. Everything else is secondary.

For a band whose image has always been that they were too “technical”. And they call themselves “prog metal”.  I’ve always felt they wrote really great ballads.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: November 04, 2021, 11:22:18 AM »
Yes. That's why I think of them as a great rock band first and prog second or third after metal.

Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell (to a point), The Spirit Carries On, Through Her Eyes, The Answer Lies Within, The Answer, Chosen, This Is The Life...

Loads of great songs there.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1323 on: November 04, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »

Does that have the 5.1 mix?  Either of you listen to that yet?

I found the 5.1 mix... pointless. It makes very little use of the surround speakers. I notice Trav86 described it as "awesome", though, so perhaps I need to listen more intently.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: November 04, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »
" But I can't climb this mountain without you...."  :'( :'( :'(

It's the most cliched chord sequence in the world but it works so well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1325 on: November 04, 2021, 11:33:29 AM »
And there's so much going on outside of just the chord progression as well that makes it work. 

Side note:  My bike ride from my office to where I park my car has only about 200 feet of elevation gain over 23 miles.  But there are a couple of steep hills on parts of it.  There is one in particular that I often (depending on my pace) get to right at that part in the album if I start the album right when I get to the trail entrance, which always makes me smile a bit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: November 04, 2021, 11:42:13 AM »
Right it's the build up to the full band entering on that chorus that makes it so good.

If it was a pop song - it would start all guns blazing and then the chorus would just happen.

Speaking of which - the song Call me Maybe...Does that song even HAVE a verse ?

Every time I hear it - by the time it's over all I can remember is the 25 choruses.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1327 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
Not sure, but am happy to discuss it offline.  Call me.  Maybe?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: November 04, 2021, 11:49:52 AM »
 ??? this.....this is crazy.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1329 on: November 04, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »

Does that have the 5.1 mix?  Either of you listen to that yet?

I found the 5.1 mix... pointless. It makes very little use of the surround speakers. I notice Trav86 described it as "awesome", though, so perhaps I need to listen more intently.

Note that I don’t have a complete surround system. It’s a good sound bar and subwoofer. I’m not comparing it to anything, just how it sounds. It sounds awesome to me.
Can't we find the minds