Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145240 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #1050 on: October 30, 2021, 07:19:57 PM »
If you look at the start of the previous page, it's more like JLB has a view from the top of the thread.. 🤪
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1051 on: October 30, 2021, 07:20:47 PM »
That album is mostly excellent. The Great American Success Story was clearly written about Rodney's Back To School.

That 86-87 tour was outstanding.

I don’t remember what your it was but I saw Alice at Hudson Valley Civic Center around that time. I think Ace Frehley and Faster Pussycat opened for him but I may be be confusing that tour with White Lion or Y&T. My memory is failing me on this one. Who warmed up Alice when you went?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1052 on: October 30, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
That album is mostly excellent. The Great American Success Story was clearly written about Rodney's Back To School.

I don’t remember what your it was but I saw Alice at Hudson Valley Civic Center around that time. I think Ace Frehley and Faster Pussycat opened for him but I may be be confusing that tour with White Lion or Y&T. My memory is failing me on this one. Who warmed up Alice when you went?

You got it right.

I saw Y&T, with Frehley's Comet and White Lion on 9/10/87 at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium in Providence, and on 11/17/87, Alice played the Boston Garden with Frehley's Comet and Faster Pussycat, except that Frehley's Comet for some reason didn't play that night.

In the middle of those two shows, I saw Faster Pussycat do a club show in Providence. The worst live band I've ever seen. Actually the second worst.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1053 on: October 30, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »

You got it right.

I saw Y&T, with Frehley's Comet and White Lion on 9/10/87 at the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium in Providence, and on 11/17/87, Alice played the Boston Garden with Frehley's Comet and Faster Pussycat, except that Frehley's Comet for some reason didn't play that night.

In the middle of those two shows, I saw Faster Pussycat do a club show in Providence. The worst live band I've ever seen. Actually the second worst.

Thanks man! I’m shot, haha! I remember Y&T were great, Pussycat not my thing, White Lion and Ace I don’t remember but Alice was outstanding!!! I remember thinking who is this bodybuilder tearing it up! I bought Kane’s solo album on tape and wasn’t impressed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1054 on: October 30, 2021, 07:55:55 PM »
Alice was outstanding!!! I remember thinking who is this bodybuilder tearing it up! I bought Kane’s solo album on tape and wasn’t impressed.

Yes Kane's album blows!

Kane Roberts put me in a headlock after the show!

(...and that's stage blood on my face, not a rash!)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1055 on: October 30, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »
Alice was outstanding!!! I remember thinking who is this bodybuilder tearing it up! I bought Kane’s solo album on tape and wasn’t impressed.

Yes Kane's album blows!

That’s a BIG arm around your neck!!! Now listening to The World Needs Guts! Constrictor is such a kick ass album!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1056 on: October 30, 2021, 08:00:32 PM »
His fist is the size of my face! :lol

My fist your face, that's for sure! :metal

Offline sylentman

« Reply #1057 on: October 30, 2021, 10:06:28 PM »
Back to topic :):
Excellent Album.
Must have heard it over 20 times: Loved the singles specially TA, and like the album more on every listen. As many have said no bad track, so never feel like skipping any of the tracks, on the contrary always want to listen it from start to finish.
My only complain would be - also as others have pointed out - it feels short for some reason, so would have liked to have more tracks hahaha. Liking it so much that would have loved it this had been a double album :).
Some have said it doesn’t have any memorable parts, but do feel it has many, once you digest would say every song has its charm. Need more time to define what is my favorite song or most memorable section of the album, so as a quick example to defend a track most have said its their least favorite, from 2:24 to 3:05 + the guitar solo of IM i think are awesome and even the chorus feels tasty and memorable in my humble opinion.
I wouldn’t mind if the band could take this free time given the delayed tour and write an EP :)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1058 on: October 30, 2021, 10:33:30 PM »
If this had more tracks maybe there would have been some fillers. 70 minutes and fully enjoyable start to finish. Leave well enough alone and enjoy. :)

Offline sylentman

« Reply #1059 on: October 30, 2021, 10:58:46 PM »
Just in case It was not a critic on length, just kind of a way to express that AVFTTOTW is so enjoyable that it goes too fast! :)
Should have said “wish” instead of “complain”!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1060 on: October 30, 2021, 11:02:40 PM »
Just in case It was not a critic on length, just kind of a way to express that AVFTTOTW is so enjoyable that it goes too fast! :)

I agree with you 100%.  :)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1061 on: October 31, 2021, 01:01:49 AM »
I thought KevMo wrote a lot of lyrics, no?

According to Wiki, he's credited for half of I&W, and a couple of tracks on WDADU.  Heck, he even has 3 on Awake, and he was leaving the band.

MP only has The Mirror and a co-write on Take The Time.

Digged in the old lyrics, you're right. And even more so, with Surrounded, Wait for Sleep, Lie and Space-Dye Vest he wrote some of the best songs on the albums as well. My bad.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline illusionist

« Reply #1062 on: October 31, 2021, 01:43:46 AM »
Back to topic :):
Excellent Album.
Must have heard it over 20 times: Loved the singles specially TA, and like the album more on every listen. As many have said no bad track, so never feel like skipping any of the tracks, on the contrary always want to listen it from start to finish.
My only complain would be - also as others have pointed out - it feels short for some reason, so would have liked to have more tracks hahaha. Liking it so much that would have loved it this had been a double album :).
Some have said it doesn’t have any memorable parts, but do feel it has many, once you digest would say every song has its charm. Need more time to define what is my favorite song or most memorable section of the album, so as a quick example to defend a track most have said its their least favorite, from 2:24 to 3:05 + the guitar solo of IM i think are awesome and even the chorus feels tasty and memorable in my humble opinion.
I wouldn’t mind if the band could take this free time given the delayed tour and write an EP :)

It would be very unique if they did that. (writing an EP that is)
First of all,they had enough time to prepare for the tour,so they must have already learned the new songs.
And i was about to say that they could continue from where they left,but then i thought that the writing of the album ended in January,so definitely
any existing momentum has long gone.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1063 on: October 31, 2021, 03:26:11 AM »
I would imagine that we will see a lot more DT material in a shorter amount of time than the previous years, now that they have their own studio.  DTHQ. 
Since they own the building and don't have a clock over their head when recording, they might as well be creating as much music as possible.
I'd like to see them make a super dark and heavy EP with no keyboards as a one-off thing. 😈

Don't get me wrong,  I love they keys in DT and Jordan is phenomenal!  I've always wanted to hear them do something that's so ridiculously heavy that it makes a statement.  🌋
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 03:54:09 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: October 31, 2021, 03:50:06 AM »
Never thought I’d say it but JP is probably toward the bottom as far as most valuable. He has really written himself into a corner with riffs and leads. Those constant simple chugs during verses - hey why not try different chords with cool voicings? As far as solos, maybe solo lower on the neck Adrian Smith style or something, anything different. Maybe incorporate some Schenkerisms or Rothisms. SOMETHING.

Songs are really good though.

Then it wouldn’t be JP, he does what HE does and it’s perfect. He knows just when to shred and play melodic. As for chord progressions I think it’s balanced just right (IM structure as well as SG). Once again, only my opinion. I absolutely LOVE everything about the new album. On that note, I’m looking forward to your new album and the freshness it delivers, Dream Team (I’m only messing with you)  :)

A lot of the solos seem to have the same melodic hooks that he’s been using in a never-ending quest to recreate the Razor’s Edge solo. That’s it, not trying to claim I can play guitar like JP  ::).

FWIW Dream Team, in regards to this new album, I agree with you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: October 31, 2021, 04:09:07 AM »
Jordan could just use his snarling pig patch on an all-rock EP... It backs up the rhythm guitar nicely.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1066 on: October 31, 2021, 04:17:39 AM »
Jordan could just use his snarling pig patch on an all-rock EP... It backs up the rhythm guitar nicely.
He is also a good guitar player. He could pull it off live, especially some of the rhythm sections.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2021, 04:26:39 AM »
They absolutely need to do an 8-string off. It would be awesome... Just imagine them playing Awaken The Master - Mangini does a big fill then Rudess walks out with his own 8 string.

I know they'll never do it but the venue would go mental.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2021, 05:18:12 AM »
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 08:08:54 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline ACOSeasons

« Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2021, 07:34:58 AM »
Since Portnoy's exit, they've lost their hard edge and are prone to too many soft/airy-fairy moments for my likings.

Whilst Portnoy formed Adrenaline Mob - probably the most embarrassing supergroup ever. Despite calling it his new band - he wisely jumped ship ASAP.

Then he made Sons of Apollo - and him and Derek acting all TOUGH and MACHO was even more embarrassing.

So i'll take DT's career since 2011 over anything Portnoy has done since then.

You seem to have totally misunderstood what I said.

I wasn't comparing what Portnoy has done since to what DT has since (although SOA and Winery Dogs are great).

The point I was making was that since Portnoy left DT, overall I reckon the band has lost its hard/heavy edge.

I was lamenting what might've been had Portnoy stayed with DT and what kind of awesome music would've been produced by the band. There's no doubt he was the driving force behind the band in all aspects, it's a pretty big hole to fill - arguably an impossible task.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2021, 07:37:55 AM »
Well - watching those drum covers of mangini songs by the guy who plays exactly like Portnoy i'm like No Thanks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2021, 08:03:00 AM »
Since Portnoy's exit, they've lost their hard edge and are prone to too many soft/airy-fairy moments for my likings.

Whilst Portnoy formed Adrenaline Mob - probably the most embarrassing supergroup ever. Despite calling it his new band - he wisely jumped ship ASAP.

Then he made Sons of Apollo - and him and Derek acting all TOUGH and MACHO was even more embarrassing.

I wasn't comparing what Portnoy has done since to what DT has since (although SOA and Winery Dogs are great).

The point I was making was that since Portnoy left DT, overall I reckon the band has lost its hard/heavy edge.

I was lamenting what might've been had Portnoy stayed with DT and what kind of awesome music would've been produced by the band. There's no doubt he was the driving force behind the band in all aspects, it's a pretty big hole to fill - arguably an impossible task.

The Enemy Inside, Behind the Veil, Pale Blue Dot, Fall Into The Light, Paralyzed, Room 137, The Alien, Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant, Awaken The Master, and A View From The Top Of The World are all hard and heavy, all with discernably prog metal, not prog rock, drumming. If you are referring to the type of hard and heavy music that forces the voice of the band to sing differently because of some Russell Allen fetish, I pass.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1072 on: October 31, 2021, 08:10:56 AM »

Yes Kane's album blows!

Thrill My Gorilla!  :biggrin:
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1073 on: October 31, 2021, 08:18:12 AM »

Wow, I disagree with this. They have made tons of heavy music. Plus there are many people that think the last two albums with MP were duds. Now I don't agree with that sentiment either, but seems SC and BC&SL generally dominate the low end of people's rankings.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: October 31, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »
Yes - production aside - A Dramatic Turn Of Events sounded anything but stale unlike Systematic (irony) and Black Clouds...

I'd argue that Systematic was the low point and every subsequent album was just a little bit better.

Mad, also that they went from Octavarium - my favourite album - to Systematic - my least favourite - in around 2 years.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1075 on: October 31, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »

Yes Kane's album blows!

It's good know it's stage blood because I was going to recommend you to Dr. Pimple Popper.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1076 on: October 31, 2021, 08:29:17 AM »
Hah! I don't know why, but right before I posted the pic, I thought it look a bit nasty. Just thought I'd make it clear.

Offline ACOSeasons

« Reply #1077 on: October 31, 2021, 08:30:12 AM »

The Enemy Inside, Behind the Veil, Pale Blue Dot, Fall Into The Light, Paralyzed, Room 137, The Alien, Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant, Awaken The Master, and A View From The Top Of The World are all hard and heavy, all with discernably prog metal, not prog rock, drumming. If you are referring to the type of hard and heavy music that forces the voice of the band to sing differently because of some Russell Allen fetish, I pass.

Back to my original point in my first post, I'm contending that overall over the last five albums, DT aren't as heavy as they were when Portnoy was a member. Of course, there are still a few examples of their heaviness across the past decade in some of the great songs they've written (in my original post, I said Illumination Theory is in their top 5 songs all time), but they've lost that hard/heavy edge they had before ADTOE. I still like a lot of the Mangini era material, though, again as I originally said - Astonishing was genius and DOT was great.

Offline ACOSeasons

« Reply #1078 on: October 31, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »

Wow, I disagree with this. They have made tons of heavy music. Plus there are many people that think the last two albums with MP were duds. Now I don't agree with that sentiment either, but seems SC and BC&SL generally dominate the low end of people's rankings.

Interesting. I loved SC, I reckon you can hear it's the most fun they had recording an album. ITPOE 1&2 and Dark Eternal Night are incredible.

And as for BC&SL - A Nightmare To Remember is an absolute prog metal masterpiece. Right up the pointy end of their best ever songs, too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1079 on: October 31, 2021, 08:39:15 AM »

Back to my original point in my first post, I'm contending that overall over the last five albums, DT aren't as heavy as they were when Portnoy was a member.

But I still completely disagree with that point though.
AVFTTOTW is their heaviest album since Train Of Thought, and that one was made intentionally heavy.
DT12 and Distance Over Time are loaded with heavy tunes.

Systematic Chaos...has it's heavy moments for sure but I don't consider it a heavy album.
BC&SL...yeah, generally a heavy album, but its best parts are not.
8V...NOT heavy.

Interesting. I loved SC, I reckon you can hear it's the most fun they had recording an album. ITPOE 1&2 and Dark Eternal Night are incredible.

And as for BC&SL - A Nightmare To Remember is an absolute prog metal masterpiece. Right up the pointy end of their best ever songs, too.

I agree with the bolded piece about SC. I agree completely. I have always called it a great exhale album, meaning that after the climax of Score, the band just went into the studio and exhaled. But I also consider Systematic Chaos their most varied album in terms of styles. I suppose you could say the same about 8V, but SC just feels looser and less pretentious.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: October 31, 2021, 08:46:07 AM »
Repentance - Ministry and Presence Part II are all so DULL and plodding.

And prophets of War is so forgettable I always forget it exists.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #1081 on: October 31, 2021, 08:53:56 AM »

All of a sudden' mr. Blue came in my thoughts...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1082 on: October 31, 2021, 08:56:51 AM »

Too bad the blast beats were not done properly and James was not allowed to sing the "Day after day..." lines in a much better way.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: October 31, 2021, 09:01:01 AM »
I like the way Labrie sings it live. Much more menacing imo.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #1084 on: October 31, 2021, 09:19:46 AM »
I would imagine that we will see a lot more DT material in a shorter amount of time than the previous years, now that they have their own studio.  DTHQ. 
Since they own the building and don't have a clock over their head when recording, they might as well be creating as much music as possible.
I'd like to see them make a super dark and heavy EP with no keyboards as a one-off thing. 😈

Don't get me wrong,  I love they keys in DT and Jordan is phenomenal!  I've always wanted to hear them do something that's so ridiculously heavy that it makes a statement.  🌋

Who of us wouldn't want that happen?
But,as much as i want it to happen,i think that it won't.

The fact that they own the studio now and write in it,hence they don't have their company telling them to wrap up quickly,
might actually mean that they will take as much time as they need to deliver any album as they want to.
So instead of delivering sooner ,most possibly they will delay more (as was the case for A view)

And,apart from that,their album/tour cycle is almost 2 years long for the past decade,so i don't see them releasing a new album till late 2023.
Hope i am wrong though,and we get to hear DT16 before we know it.