Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145224 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #945 on: October 27, 2021, 10:19:52 PM »
My favorite songs are below and my album ranking is below that not counting View.

Favorite songs in no order would be:

Learning to live
A change of seasons
Fatal Tragedy
Overture 1928
Six Degrees
Take the Time
Metropolis
Trial of Tears

Album ranking:

Scenes
Images
Six degrees

Awake

Distance over Time
Falling into Infinity
Train of Thought
The Astonishing

Black Clouds
When dream and day unite
Self titled

Octavarium

Systematic Chaos
A dramatic Turn of events

Very nice list and ranking! I hope you’re enjoying the new album. :)

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #946 on: October 27, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
Has anyone bought the HDtracks version of the album? I'm curious if the dynamic range is better than the CD version.

The album isn't even up on the Loudness War site yet, but I check occasionally to see if it updates so I know whether or not to get the HD Tracks version.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc?artist=Dream+Theater

-Marc.

It's been closed to new submissions for some time now so I fear it could be a long, and perhaps never ending, wait.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #947 on: October 27, 2021, 11:47:06 PM »

To lovethedrake: I see that we really have different tastes because ACOS and Learning to Live are bottom songs in my DT list.  :lol

Wow! Of all the diverse opinions in this thread, this is surely the most crazy one I have read!

Yeah, when I got introduced to DT in 1996 with Images and Words, I immediately fell in love with Metropolis, Take The Time, and Surrounded. Learning to Live, though, just sounds so dated to me even at that time. I can not connect with the tone of the keys, the bass line that sounds like something from an early 90s TV series, and the "spoken" verses is just not my cup of tea. When I heard ACOS, I really just felt the length of the song, which is what I usually feel when there are instrumental parts that keep on repeating with no variation.

Awake is the album that really clicked with me. Amazing. My favorite album until D/T and AVFTTOTW came along. These last two albums is like the balance between I&W and Awake sprinkled with Mangini-isms and the virtuosity that came with Jordan. The only weird thing I would add is that my least favorite song in Awake is Voices, which apparently is a fan favorite.  :lol

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #948 on: October 28, 2021, 12:48:29 AM »
I will give you some examples:

1. The instrumental breakdown on the Title track is horribly placed and sounds exactly like every modern day DT instrumental breakdown.  It’s boring.  Which is a shame because the part preceding it is so fantastic.

2. There’s not a single tone or passage on the album by JP or JR that sounds different or interesting.  Nothing that makes me say Whoah…with two exceptions… the second part of the IM solo and the wha wha part on ATM. 

3. There is a lot of virtuoso “wankery” by JP and JR on this album but it sounds so tired and played out.  Some of the solos are enhanced by MM’s playing but where is the creativity from JP?  Look no further than the solo on TT… that’s not the JP I came to love. 

You point out the instrumental breakdown of a View is horribly placed and like every modern instrumental DT breakdown. I disagree completely, there's no epic like this in all their discography and what I do consider as special, is the fact that this epic hasn't a cresendo build up 'til it erupts in the end, but the titletrack evolves in the belly of the song and then is build down, more or less as it's build up from the start. I consider it to be very, very special.

You drop your opinion that not a single note or passage is different or interesting. I would say (beside the solo feels like the start of Lie) there is not one track that has a phrase like Answering the Call, which is probably my favourite track of all. Outstanding, modern, new and wonderful. I also wonder how the Sleeping Giant or Transcending Time cannot be considered new or interesting. I reed over and over that Transcending Time is like the Looking Glass... but although I like the Looking Glass, Transcending Time is a far more complex and has much more variety.

You spell out the wankery of Rudess and Petrucci sounds tired and played out. I've never heard them this fresh and exiting. It is a matter of opinions of course and I respect yours completely... but I do feel the opposite about this album.

It feels familiar, 'Awake-ish', but like the Astonishing (where they discovered a whole new experience), a View as a album is Dream Theater at their very, very best, to me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline tofee35

« Reply #949 on: October 28, 2021, 01:21:10 AM »
Per usual, it took a few listens to take it all in and for it to click with me.

1st listen: Every song is so samesish, the vocals sound weak, Mangini is killing it though.
4th listen: RAWK!

You got me again, DT.

-Tof

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2021, 01:53:08 AM »
I will give you some examples:

1. The instrumental breakdown on the Title track is horribly placed and sounds exactly like every modern day DT instrumental breakdown.  It’s boring.  Which is a shame because the part preceding it is so fantastic.

2. There’s not a single tone or passage on the album by JP or JR that sounds different or interesting.  Nothing that makes me say Whoah…with two exceptions… the second part of the IM solo and the wha wha part on ATM. 

3. There is a lot of virtuoso “wankery” by JP and JR on this album but it sounds so tired and played out.  Some of the solos are enhanced by MM’s playing but where is the creativity from JP?  Look no further than the solo on TT… that’s not the JP I came to love. 

You point out the instrumental breakdown of a View is horribly placed and like every modern instrumental DT breakdown. I disagree completely, there's no epic like this in all their discography and what I do consider as special, is the fact that this epic hasn't a cresendo build up 'til it erupts in the end, but the titletrack evolves in the belly of the song and then is build down, more or less as it's build up from the start. I consider it to be very, very special.

You drop your opinion that not a single note or passage is different or interesting. I would say (beside the solo feels like the start of Lie) there is not one track that has a phrase like Answering the Call, which is probably my favourite track of all. Outstanding, modern, new and wonderful. I also wonder how the Sleeping Giant or Transcending Time cannot be considered new or interesting. I reed over and over that Transcending Time is like the Looking Glass... but although I like the Looking Glass, Transcending Time is a far more complex and has much more variety.

You spell out the wankery of Rudess and Petrucci sounds tired and played out. I've never heard them this fresh and exiting. It is a matter of opinions of course and I respect yours completely... but I do feel the opposite about this album.

It feels familiar, 'Awake-ish', but like the Astonishing (where they discovered a whole new experience), a View as a album is Dream Theater at their very, very best, to me.

It’s a little hard for me to fathom a comment like “you’ve never heard them this fresh and exciting” at this stage of their career but you’re certainly welcome to your opinion.  It’s not that I don’t think it’s very good but “prime” DT was just incredible to me.  I enjoy the album and feel like it’s a middle of the pack DT album but to me what holds it back is the lack of innovation and the generic choruses.   I also think Jordan is often too soft in the mix which gives the album a bit of a sameness feeling. There’s also very little on this album that makes me say “Whoah that’s something I haven’t heard from them”.

With that said, middle of the pack for my favorite band is pretty darn good.  Especially when on their 15th album.

I like all 7 tracks but still think it pales in comparison to their classics.  I’m also not nearly as into the technical/metal side of the band as I am into the prog side and this album definitely feels like a post six degrees effort.  Still good, but with a ceiling for my personal tastes.

Edit: just listened to the title track again…. This song is fantastic.  The “all my natural instincts” section is absolutely wonderful.  Dream Theater at its best and holy Mangini on this whole track, he sounds amazing. 

I would say it’s my third favorite epic only behind ACOS and SDOIT.  I put it ahead of Octavarium.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 02:43:28 AM by lovethedrake »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #951 on: October 28, 2021, 03:11:20 AM »
The very ending to the title track leads me to believe that DT16 will continue where that left off from that subtle guitar riff.   🤔
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: October 28, 2021, 03:40:39 AM »
...Or it's how the song starts and they realised that they were a smidgen short of 20:00 when making the album and quickly recorded it on...

I don't think they're gonna do that again. They've done it once.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #953 on: October 28, 2021, 03:58:47 AM »
Nah, they repeated a variation of the opening orchestral section to end the song so it would seem that repeating the opening pattern is not random.

Extending the music to hit a timestamp is Octavarium, not this. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #954 on: October 28, 2021, 04:03:16 AM »
Nah I know how much the band are into numbers. Especially Mangini. He's obsessed.

Their 5 & 8 kink was even on The Astonishing. The album artwork had 8 Nomacs on and there were 5 Nomac tracks on the album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: October 28, 2021, 04:41:44 AM »
Cool that on the documentary they mentioned that the owners of the much bigger space next to DTHQ moved out so now they're building a much bigger live room.

If I was in a band - i'd be thinking about / planning getting our own 'HQ' myself.

Your own rehearsal space / studio / chill out / living space.

What band wouldn't want that ?

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #956 on: October 28, 2021, 05:18:52 AM »
Edit: just listened to the title track again…. This song is fantastic.  The “all my natural instincts” section is absolutely wonderful.  Dream Theater at its best and holy Mangini on this whole track, he sounds amazing. 

At least in here we find each other completely. The epic is an absolute beautiful piece and I truly love it. I wouldn't rank it amongst the others already but it surely is a fine piece, which will only age even better I guess.

Perhaps, and I do think this has a lot of influence... I became fan (became obsessed) when Distance Over Time was pronounced. I wasn't aware of Dream Theater before. Maybe, when I was a fan from the beginning, I would have a hard time appreciating the Mangini-era, if I grew up with Portnoy as a drumhero.

At this moment I'll spend most of my time on both Awake and a View, because they feel related and I adore that fact.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #957 on: October 28, 2021, 06:17:59 AM »

At least in here we find each other completely. The epic is an absolute beautiful piece and I truly love it. I wouldn't rank it amongst the others already but it surely is a fine piece, which will only age even better I guess.

Perhaps, and I do think this has a lot of influence... I became fan (became obsessed) when Distance Over Time was pronounced. I wasn't aware of Dream Theater before. Maybe, when I was a fan from the beginning, I would have a hard time appreciating the Mangini-era, if I grew up with Portnoy as a drumhero.

At this moment I'll spend most of my time on both Awake and a View, because they feel related and I adore that fact.

I’m sure that has a lot to do with the difference in our tastes.   The album that hooked me was images words and I first heard It in 1999 right after SFAM was released.  Those were the albums that hooked me… it took me years to appreciate “awake” but I do love it now.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #958 on: October 28, 2021, 06:40:38 AM »
Per usual, it took a few listens to take it all in and for it to click with me.

1st listen: Every song is so samesish, the vocals sound weak, Mangini is killing it though.
4th listen: RAWK!

You got me again, DT.

-Tof

This is my experience with this release, as well.  DT and Fate's Warning are usually like this where I need a few listens for everything to click.  I'm not sure if it's my anticipation to hear everything on the first listen, there's just so much that is missed.  Also, and I cannot stress this enough, if you have not heard this on a decent set of headphones - you may be missing out.  In addition to the nuggets I've been finding in the music, the recording itself has a few that weren't apparent to me through other sources.

I come into each release not expecting them to topple their 'classics' - I don't think that level of expectation for any musician this deep in their career is really fair.  This is a great album to my ears, though - and I can see myself revisiting it often in the future.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #959 on: October 28, 2021, 06:42:54 AM »

I can relate to this. I only discovered DT after the self-titled came out. I'd never really heard of them before that, but pretty soon they became my favourite band. I can appreciate the older stuff as well as the newer, in a pretty impartial way, without having a dog in the fight.

Though I can definitely understand someone who grew up with 90's DT having that personal attachment to the personnel in the band at the time. Plus, I think it depends on whatever instrument you gravitate towards. Guitars are my thing, so, (not that it will ever happen,) but if sometime down the road, JP was to quit, then I'd probably struggle to keep interested if they brought on a replacement.

Offline RAIN

« Reply #960 on: October 28, 2021, 07:30:05 AM »
For all my fellow guitar players, I transcribed the whole album and put synchronized tab videos on my youtube channel:

The Alien Guitar Tab
Answering the Call Guitar Tab
Invisible Monster Guitar Tab
Sleeping Giant Guitar Tab
Transcending Time Guitar Tab
Awaken the Master Guitar Tab
A View From the Top of the World Guitar Tab

You sir are a monster....how do you do this so fast, and so well?  Amazed!!!
There are some DT songs that I just can't "figure out" without TABs to help, and even then there are sections that I still can't follow, but Tabs have always been a very important part of how I take in music.  So Thank You.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:36:56 AM by RAIN »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: October 28, 2021, 07:51:20 AM »
The "how did you do this so fast" question only has one answer...

illegally downloaded the album weeks ago ;D

Even more obvious when album tracks have full guitar covers shot and edited and uploaded to YouTube ON THE DAY OF RELEASE... Yeah No.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #962 on: October 28, 2021, 07:54:40 AM »
The "how did you do this so fast" question only has one answer...

illegally downloaded the album weeks ago ;D

Even more obvious when album tracks have full guitar covers shot and edited and uploaded to YouTube ON THE DAY OF RELEASE... Yeah No.

This...or he has possesion of a Time Turner  :biggrin: https://harrypotter.fandom.com/wiki/Time-Turner

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #963 on: October 28, 2021, 08:00:21 AM »
Evan(DT89) has been pretty consistent with transcribing guitar parts fairly quickly. He even tabbed out a JP's Instagram video. I'm pretty sure he is just that good with transcribing music.

Now, those video covers that come out a few hours after a song is released is a different story. I am sure some of them do learn the song that fast, but others clearly had early access to the music.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #964 on: October 28, 2021, 08:26:08 AM »
I can relate to this. I only discovered DT after the self-titled came out. I'd never really heard of them before that, but pretty soon they became my favourite band. I can appreciate the older stuff as well as the newer, in a pretty impartial way, without having a dog in the fight.

Though I can definitely understand someone who grew up with 90's DT having that personal attachment to the personnel in the band at the time. Plus, I think it depends on whatever instrument you gravitate towards. Guitars are my thing, so, (not that it will ever happen,) but if sometime down the road, JP was to quit, then I'd probably struggle to keep interested if they brought on a replacement.

My close friend, who loves Dream Theater since Six Degrees was answering my "Metallica is death" when I saw them live in 2019, at their worst show in history I guess, with "sit down and listen carefully." And then I heard Hollow Years in the Budokan version. Since then my music is all about Dream Theater and he gave me an ocean of beautiful music to dive in.

But I follow you here. He as a drummer grew up with Portnoy as his hero and he struggled hard, appreciating Mangini (most of all not the talent, but the sound in mixing). I'm a guitarplayer like you (only I am a amature who playes really bad) and would be devistated if Petrucci ever would leave.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #965 on: October 28, 2021, 08:42:52 AM »
Digging the title track as well as The Alien and ATC now.

Like the concept and lyrics for View.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DT89

« Reply #966 on: October 28, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »
Evan(DT89) has been pretty consistent with transcribing guitar parts fairly quickly. He even tabbed out a JP's Instagram video. I'm pretty sure he is just that good with transcribing music.

Now, those video covers that come out a few hours after a song is released is a different story. I am sure some of them do learn the song that fast, but others clearly had early access to the music.
I've been transcribing professionally for a few years, and winning JP's Match the Master contest in 2016 was the catalyst for quitting my retail job and focusing solely on music: Match the Master: Meeting John Petrucci

I got my box set early (Tuesday) from LaserCD, so I was able to work from the instrumental mixes for the rest of the songs (I had already transcribed the two singles on day of release). JP has been my biggest influence as a guitarist for many years and I know his style and tendencies very well, so that helps a lot.

I've done official tab books for Cynic, Exodus, Decapitated, Witherfall and others. Here's a link to my website: Evan Bradley Transcriptions

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #967 on: October 28, 2021, 09:17:47 AM »

I've been transcribing professionally for a few years, and winning JP's Match the Master contest in 2016 was the catalyst for quitting my retail job and focusing solely on music: Match the Master: Meeting John Petrucci

I got my box set early (Tuesday) from LaserCD, so I was able to work from the instrumental mixes for the rest of the songs (I had already transcribed the two singles on day of release). JP has been my biggest influence as a guitarist for many years and I know his style and tendencies very well, so that helps a lot.

I've done official tab books for Cynic, Exodus, Decapitated, Witherfall and others. Here's a link to my website: Evan Bradley Transcriptions

Amazing work man. Huge respect to you. I'm not quite good enough to actually play entire Dream Theater songs but with the help of your tabs I just might get there one day. :D
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #968 on: October 28, 2021, 01:10:37 PM »
I mean, JR has got to be sick of JP burying him in the mix right? A recurring theme.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #969 on: October 28, 2021, 01:52:47 PM »
I mean, JR has got to be sick of JP burying him in the mix right? A recurring theme.

Meanwhile Myung goes:

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #970 on: October 28, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »
So after several listens on headphones (one ear at work) and yesterday in the car for the first time, this album has finally clicked for me. The instrumental/solo sections are sounding like their own identity, and James doesn't sound so bored/phoned in/needing of another take. It's still DT by the numbers. This is stuff they can do in their sleep, and it's not a knock on them, they sound amazing, but because they are so good at what they do, my initial thought was "been there, done that, heard it all before". That hasn't changed, but DT by the numbers is still solid DT. I wish they would do a little something different every once in a while. Not what Portnoy was leading them towards with the machismo faux tough guy crap, but, I don't know. Do their thing, but not so samey I guess.

Next time around I wont be so judgmental, because I tend to make snap judgments in music and sometimes albums need to be digested longer. Some are instant awesome though.

So, is the reason Mangini sounded like a robot on The Astonishing because he had no involvement in the song writing? Could he not have sounded more natural? I really don't like his performance on that album, but he's amazing on the new one. He's great on Self Titled and ADTOE as well, but his mix is horrible, especially on S/T. I hate the sound of the octabons. I think that's what they're called. He actually is pretty good on ADTOE, but needs to be turned up.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #971 on: October 28, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »
He doesn't seem buried in the mix at all to me. This album is mixed great and all instruments are balanced just right to me.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #972 on: October 28, 2021, 02:47:32 PM »
Sing the chorus of Answering The Call, Sleeping Giant  and A Vjee back to back to back then tell us if they sound the same.

I am sitting here and honestly cannot remember the chorus to any of those songs.  That is how unmemorable all of them are to me so far.  They are not bad, they are just kinda there.

For me so far, Transcending Time and Awaken the Master are the only songs that are really sticking (mostly) from start to finish, and even those are songs I would merely call good.  I don't hear anything here that I can imagine some day thinking, "this is one of their best songs ever," and nearly every DT album usually has at least a few of those to me (even DT12 did at first, even if none of them are ones I would now think as one of their best).   

The bigger problem is that the album is less than a week old and I am already listening to a bunch of other stuff already. I have already moved on from this new album to other stuff.  A new DT album usually dominates my listening time for weeks (or months) after its release. 

I am glad some of you are enjoying this a lot, though.  :) :)

I'm only a third of the way through at this point (I'll listen to the rest tonight when driving to pick up my stepson) but I relate to this post most of all.   I listened to The Alien twice, Answering The Call twice and Invisible Monster once, and I can't sing you one line from any of the three songs.  Not one line. 

I don't hate it - the instrumental parts are killer and I love the guitar work in The Alien - but this isn't a release like the new Neal Morse Band or Iron Maiden, where I was almost eager to hear it again, as songs ("Bird On A Wire", "Senjutsu") swirled in my head.   

My two biggest criticisms are:

- one that is slowly getting more and more relevant with each release, and that is James isn't delivering the big hook anymore; that one vocal line that sticks in your head for days ("Like a scream but sort of silent... Living out my nightmares... VOICES repeating me" or "All that we learn... this time!" or especially "Without love, without truth, there can be no turning back!").  I think James needs to be pushed; I think the melodies and choruses they got when all three - Portnoy, Petrucci and LaBrie - were standing around the mic hammering out something good is something that is missing. 

- two, sorry, but Mangini.   I get it, he's great, and he's all over this album, but there's busy (good) and there's busy (bad).  I'm not a drummer, but I guess I'm a top of kit kind of guy.  Bruford, Peart, Collins...  I'm guessing it's Mangini's style, not the recording, but there's just so much damn BASS DRUM in the parts that Mangini is playing, and when he does leave the snare it all blends together and it's not musical or supportive of the lead instruments, it just seems intrusive.  I'm not sure there's even one point in any of the songs I heard that was as simple and propelling as bum-PAH like you'd hear in Kashmir or something like that.  Every part seems to have this staccato 16yth note (I don't know if that's accurate) bass drum attack to it and it's distracting.   If I had a dime for every bass note struck across the album I'd be able to pay DT to play in my back yard. 

I'll listen to this a couple times again, just because.  I'll have an hour in the car tonight to get through the rest and maybe repeat some listening.  I have to cut the lawn this weekend so I'll listen to it again there once or twice.   But wile I don't expect Dream Theater to recreate the wheel every time - I kind of hope they don't, because what they do well, they REALLY do well - but some of the things they as artists are choosing to bring forward don't, on this release anyway (I kind of liked Distance over Time) are not necessarily the things that attracted me to the band in the beginning.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #973 on: October 28, 2021, 04:05:58 PM »
I hear you, particularly with the choruses. Lacks drama.

I did enjoy the title track while cleaning the car today but it's the lyrics that lifted it for me, not the melodies.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline rab7

« Reply #974 on: October 28, 2021, 04:12:01 PM »
I did enjoy the title track while cleaning the car today but it's the lyrics that lifted it for me, not the melodies.

Car must've been super messy if it made you feel like you were achieving greatness

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: October 28, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
He doesn't seem buried in the mix at all to me. This album is mixed great and all instruments are balanced just right to me.

This. Plus. SOMEONE has to be at the back sonically. Not everyone can be upfront.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #976 on: October 28, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »
The drum parts are being designed actually to support the other instruments, and not step on JLB when he is singing. He's not playing random things that don't make sense with the guitar and bass-- quite the opposite.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #977 on: October 28, 2021, 05:33:51 PM »
Mangini drumming not supporting the other instruments? Followong what other instruments are doing has been his M.O. since his first recorded work that if he can be faulted anything, it is that he does this too much.

Does he play the bass drums a lot? Yes, it's part of his style especially when syncing with the riffs of JP and JM. But he is no Bobby Jarzombek. That is a guy who really loves his bass drum.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: October 28, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
I have to cut the lawn this weekend so I'll listen to it again there once or twice.

#humblebrag
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #979 on: October 28, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
Has anyone bought the HDtracks version of the album? I'm curious if the dynamic range is better than the CD version.

The album isn't even up on the Loudness War site yet, but I check occasionally to see if it updates so I know whether or not to get the HD Tracks version.

https://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc?artist=Dream+Theater

-Marc.

It's been closed to new submissions for some time now so I fear it could be a long, and perhaps never ending, wait.

I bought Answering the Call from HD tracks and does not look any different than the mp3 using audacity.