Author Topic: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread  (Read 145205 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: *Official* A View from the Top of the World discussion thread
« Reply #560 on: October 24, 2021, 09:52:53 AM »

We are so aligned on that TT solo haha, its the main thing on the album I'm bummed about.    Take a song like Innocence Faded, thats a good fun song, but if it just had a shredding solo at the end instead of that incredibly amazing music passage where the band just crushes it together the song wouldn't be nearly as good.   Sadly thats the fate of TT.  Still a good fun song but really brought down by the solo break.

I suspect that as I listen to the song more, I will get used to it and it won't bother me much as time goes on (similar to This Dying Soul where the things in that song that annoyed the piss out of me at first are ones I am so used to now that they are just kind of a blur), and I am still in the discovery phase of the album, so I could go from being iffy on the album to loving it out of nowhere, or it could stay in the "I am not sure about this one" camp.  Still too early for me to definitively say one way or the other, to be honest. 

Offline JPX

« Reply #561 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:20 AM »
People need to realise that JP is first and foremost a contextual player - he creates his solos to fit the song, not the other way around. I.e. he utilizes his technique (incl feel) to serve the song rather than show off for the lack of a better word. I remember on TOT he was critizised for excessive shredding and no feel -  though it did fit in the context of the album - while on Octavarium he was critisized for the opposite (feel, but lack of technicality). On AWFTTOTW, JP again plays what fits the song/solo section (excluding the debate regarding the fast run in TT). And for what it is worth, the solos JP plays on the new record are by no means easy to create, not to mention the overall quality in his rythm playing - the guy is insanly consistent.

Nobody is questioning his playing.  He’s a guitar god.  We just expect more creativity from him than what is shown on this album.  At least I do… he’s my favorite musician of all time and I know he’s capable of much more.

I want this to be very clear too. JP is far away my favorite musician and has nothing left to prove. It's also tough when you've put out as much high caliber music as he has over such an illustrious career. But that doesn't mean I can't still call him out when he doesn't meet the standards I believe he is still very much capable of.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #562 on: October 24, 2021, 09:56:37 AM »
To me when people say the "magic" of 90's DT.  The ending of Innocence Faded perfectly encapsulates that term and phrase.  Thats what I miss most from modern day DT but I do like the MM era better than the last 4 MP albums.   

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #563 on: October 24, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
People need to realise that JP is first and foremost a contextual player - he creates his solos to fit the song, not the other way around. I.e. he utilizes his technique (incl feel) to serve the song rather than show off for the lack of a better word. I remember on TOT he was critizised for excessive shredding and no feel -  though it did fit in the context of the album - while on Octavarium he was critisized for the opposite (feel, but lack of technicality). On AWFTTOTW, JP again plays what fits the song/solo section (excluding the debate regarding the fast run in TT). And for what it is worth, the solos JP plays on the new record are by no means easy to create, not to mention the overall quality in his rythm playing - the guy is insanly consistent.

Nobody is questioning his playing.  He’s a guitar god.  We just expect more creativity from him than what is shown on this album.  At least I do… he’s my favorite musician of all time and I know he’s capable of much more.

I want this to be very clear too. JP is far away my favorite musician and has nothing left to prove. It's also tough when you've put out as much high caliber music as he has over such an illustrious career. But that doesn't mean I can't still call him out when he doesn't meet the standards I believe he is still very much capable of.
Critisizing JP and calling him out is too vastly different things. Critisizing your entitled to, but calling him out you need to prove that your own guitar discography holds the highest of standards.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #564 on: October 24, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
I also put that down to putting out 4 albums in a short space of time.

2019 - Distance Over Time
2020 - Terminal Velocity
2021 - LTE 3
2021 - A View From The Top Of The World

That's about an hours worth of music every year. It doesn't sound much when you say it like that - but if Terminal Velocity and LTE3 hadn't happened

I wonder what the new album would have sounded like.

I know that John has said that he doesn't 'keep' ideas for different projects and he writes for whatever he is working on at that time...

But at some point he must have gone " that's an amazing riff - i should keep that for DT / my solo album ! "

Fixed that. LTE3 only came out like 7 months ago. And Terminal Velocity had a digital release August 2020 but physical didn't come out til about a year ago.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #565 on: October 24, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »

Seriously, what would you have him do differently?

I had a post earlier on this, but he is really relying a LOT on those low open string keys. It can create a sense of same-ness after a while. You end up with a lot of syncopated open string riffs, which of course is a staple of metal music. After 15 albums, you could end up with a little A/E/B fatigue. What would I have him do differently? Diversify away from those open string riffs on the next album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #566 on: October 24, 2021, 10:28:46 AM »
Just sitting down now for my first listen.  As a lot of you know I had pretty negative reactions to the two singles.  Going into this totally open minded.

Straight up, The Alien already sounds better through my system as opposed to Youtube.

Im looking forward to your initial thoughts. (you ACDC lover!!!  :lol )

Offline genome

« Reply #567 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
Bros, this album is genius. It is brilliant. Nearly perfect.

Can someone post the link to the documentary lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbQ4CgteHY&t=6638s

2:18:55

Petrucci: "This track has killer bass tone"
Interviewer: "JM, do you want to elaborate on that?"
Myung: "...nope"

:rollin

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #568 on: October 24, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »
I love the shredding part of the solo on TT,  it took me by surprise and made me laugh out loud!  It's almost like JP couldn't help himself.  One of the many reasons I love DT, expect the unexpected.  :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #569 on: October 24, 2021, 11:40:20 AM »
I love the shredding part of the solo on TT,  it took me by surprise and made me laugh out loud!  It's almost like JP couldn't help himself.  One of the many reasons I love DT, expect the unexpected.  :lol

Is shredding out of nowhere really unexpected with DT...ever? :lol :P

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #570 on: October 24, 2021, 11:51:45 AM »

Is shredding out of nowhere really unexpected with DT...ever? :lol :P
UHHH-huhu,,,  OH YEAH..   😆
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #571 on: October 24, 2021, 12:25:56 PM »
I've listened to the album four times in full now. I am still not sure what to say about it yet. It's really good, and there's a lot of moments I like, but I just don't know how much I like it yet. I think this is an album that really needs to grow on me. Maybe I just need to pay closer attention on further listens, too. I think I could probably rank the songs now, though, though it's hard to rate them at the moment.

1. Sleeping Giant
2. The Alien
3. Awaken the Master
4. A View From The Top Of The World
5. Transcending Time
6. Invisible Monster
7. Answering the Call

I can say that I enjoy all of these, though. Sleeping Giant has a lot of great moments; The Alien has this grand, adventurous vibe to it; Awaken the Master might really grow on me, once I begin to really memorize it; the title track still needs more listens to digest, but there's some very interesting moments (I especially enjoy the parts starting at 5:10 and 14:11). Transcending Time is another song that could really grow on me and become one of my favorites; Invisible Monster is great musically and speaks to me lyrically, and I honestly have no idea why it seems to be getting some flak; and Answering the Call, while it's at the bottom of my rankings, still has some nice moments and a cool atmosphere.

Well, I guess I said some stuff about the album after all! :lol  As for where I'd put it in my ranking of Dream Theater album, I'd probably put it somewhere in the #9-#11 range right now, but I think in the future it could go up a few spots.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: October 24, 2021, 12:44:44 PM »
JP is indeed going through the motions now with his solos.

I'm not sure this is quite fair, Kade. I get why you would say it, but I'm getting more the impression that we all know what JP likes so intuitively, that we, as fans, can practically hum the next note he's going to play. Especially when he does the soaring, standing on the mountain, solos.

I've only had one listen too, and I noted some of what you say, but I was impressed by the amount of times they (the band) took my by surprise. It's not as easy to come up with NewShit™ when you've been doing something for so long.

Gregg, I read this this morning at work, and it is really quite astute. You mentioned us being familiar with JP, but if I extrapolate that out to the whole band, I totally get what you mean.

I think we are so excited for new music, but when we hear new DT, we find out that it sounds like...DT.

Just because they basically pioneered the genre, it's unrealistic for us to expect them to RE-pioneer it every few years. They didn't have the luxury of growing up listening to DT, as other new bands did.

I don't think every new album of theirs is great. But I think this one is.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: October 24, 2021, 12:45:34 PM »
I'm just glad that unlike a lot of bands who have been around for nearly 40 years - that they don't end up just sounding like all the modern bands that were originally inspired by them.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #574 on: October 24, 2021, 01:05:04 PM »
I don't get the discussion about DT renewing themselves or refreshing or whatever it is. I love DT for their way of creating music. The way they change direction a bit for each album is perfect to me. ADTOE up to Views all sound different to each other but share a DT core, well except maybe TA. That's what I want. I don't want DT do some silly 80s pop interpretation or Haken inspired album. Or reinvent the genre, whatever that means. DT is the best of their own sound and no clone has managed to come close for me.

I don't think they made their special prog metal sound because they had a need to invent or create something different, I just think they sounded like that on I&W because their influences and style happened to feel natural and good for them.

No matter if you like Views or not I can gladly say that no other album sounds like it and only DT can do it. There's no lack of inspiration on it, I think most people can hear that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: October 24, 2021, 01:38:13 PM »
I'm not looking for DT to make music that's different and new to them, I just want them to make good songs.  I didn't feel that on my first listen.

Going back to my JP comment, he blew me away on DOT.  I felt he had been a little uninspired and on autopilot for quite a while beforehand even though he was still producing great solos.  Most of his solos on DOT felt inspired, fresh and somehow JP rediscovering some magic of the old days.  He stepped it up.  This one feels like his putting a solo in because he has to.  No purpose.  I did really like the ATC solo but everything else left me feeling meh.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #576 on: October 24, 2021, 01:40:12 PM »
I'm not looking for DT to make music that's different and new to them, I just want them to make good songs.  I didn't feel that on my first listen.

This is me right now with regards to any band. What I like about bands are their tones.

What I really am enjoying about this album are the Rhythms and the Groove of the songs. Mangini explained it well with his Kick Drums not having that much of a impact until notes are played that give them that extra oomph. I can hear this in The Alien, listen to how Myungs bass compliments his drumming, I hear it in the Alien at this part...1:19. Those bass notes and the kick is a rhythm and part of the Alien I really like. For some reason when I first heard that part I was all..."Ooo, that combination of Kick and Bass notes blended so good."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mladen

« Reply #577 on: October 24, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »
I do not even remember Transcending time having a shred solo. It probably didn't bother me given that I didn't notice it. At this point, it's my favorite song along with The Alien. Awaken the master also has some great bits, I like that it's brutal and experimental, yet melodic. I'm still on the fence about the rest of the album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: October 24, 2021, 02:10:04 PM »
First impression from a single listen.....not good.

Going back to my JP comment, he blew me away on DOT.  I felt he had been a little uninspired and on autopilot for quite a while beforehand even though he was still producing great solos.  Most of his solos on DOT felt inspired, fresh and somehow JP rediscovering some magic of the old days.  He stepped it up.  This one feels like his putting a solo in because he has to.  No purpose.  I did really like the ATC solo but everything else left me feeling meh.

I'm sorry it's not connecting with you. I thought it being on the heavier, and perhaps technical, it might agree with you a bit more.

It does take a few listens to parse everything out. But it doesn't seem like this one is going to rank for you.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #579 on: October 24, 2021, 02:13:16 PM »
Fourth listen today for me was better, so more of it is starting to get through. Optimistic that it will be a major grower.  :tup :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: October 24, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »
It's only 7 tracks but I can see it having more longevity than Black Clouds.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #581 on: October 24, 2021, 02:26:25 PM »
Some of my friends gave me the record for my birthday yesterday, so I played the vinyl in full first time today. It was a very enjoyable listen and I want to hear it a couple more times to fully appreciate it. My initial reaction to Invisible Monster was pretty lukewarm and I hadn't listened to The Alien in full at all, but the former was a lot better in context of the record and The Alien was quite awesome. I particularly liked Sleeping Giant and the title track as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: October 24, 2021, 03:21:21 PM »
First impression from a single listen.....not good.

I'm sorry it's not connecting with you. I thought it being on the heavier, and perhaps technical, it might agree with you a bit more.

It does take a few listens to parse everything out. But it doesn't seem like this one is going to rank for you.

I should know better than to pass so much judgement after one listen.  Will blast it in the car today and will try again.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: October 24, 2021, 03:27:26 PM »
Maaaan.

Theres been a few albums i've HATED on first listen that went on to be one of my all time FAVOURITES.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: October 24, 2021, 03:28:30 PM »
Maaaan.

Theres been a few albums i've HATED on first listen that went on to be one of my all time FAVOURITES.

Absolutely mate, I'm not writing it off yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: October 24, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »
At this point in their career - another SOLID album is a win.

I don't want them to do a Radiohead and suddenly go all Aphex Twin electro...

Plus it's literally their livelihood. If they put out a SHIT album that nobody bought then nobody would come to the tour either and they'd lose a lot of fans.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #586 on: October 24, 2021, 03:55:49 PM »
I don't get the discussion about DT renewing themselves or refreshing or whatever it is. I love DT for their way of creating music. The way they change direction a bit for each album is perfect to me. ADTOE up to Views all sound different to each other but share a DT core, well except maybe TA. That's what I want. I don't want DT do some silly 80s pop interpretation or Haken inspired album. Or reinvent the genre, whatever that means. DT is the best of their own sound and no clone has managed to come close for me.

I don't think they made their special prog metal sound because they had a need to invent or create something different, I just think they sounded like that on I&W because their influences and style happened to feel natural and good for them.

No matter if you like Views or not I can gladly say that no other album sounds like it and only DT can do it. There's no lack of inspiration on it, I think most people can hear that.

Agreed 100%. Thank the gods they didn't do some 80s throwback thing. I think the 80s nostalgia trend is really fucking lame. And thank the gods DT didn't djent on this album.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline emtee

« Reply #587 on: October 24, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
So many amazing moments on this album.

Vocal favorite so far:
All my natural instincts
Are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on
Heading for the top

A physical absurdity
A tremendous mental game
Helping me to understand exactly who I am

Favorite song so far: whew...tough. More than one.
Awaken The Master
A View From The Top Of The World
Answering The Call

Favorite Riff:
14:03 of AVFtToTW...yeah, that one! I wish it was five minutes longer.

Favorite Rhythmic Mangini/Myung insanity:
Every damn song!

Also, Invisible Monster is WAAAAY better for me now. I love it.

No weak tracks. For a very brief moment I find myself wanting to hit the fast forward button about 3/4 through Sleeping Giant but then
things change up and I'm good again.

Possibly one of the most inspired recorded drum performances I've ever heard. Just indescribably brilliant. Only problem is, if MM gets lost on some of these songs live, he's going to have trouble getting back in :)

No clue about ranking. It's way too soon to think about that. Hell, I'm still not sure where DOT ranks and it really doesn't matter. After hearing this a few times though, I yearn (have you ever yearned, George?) to hear ADToE, and DT12 with this production. Man...I can only dream!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #588 on: October 24, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
Maaaan.

Absolutely mate, I'm not writing it off yet.

Whenever you’re in doubt just remember…. “FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK…. WE SALUTE YOU!!!!!”

:lol  :metal

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #589 on: October 24, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
Favorite Riff:
14:03 of AVFtToTW...yeah, that one! I wish it was five minutes longer.

Yeah, that’s my “James Bond/007” section. Love it!  :metal

Offline GARBANZO

« Reply #590 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:11 PM »
It is difficult to listen to a DT album without remembering the masterpieces they have made. I think that since the SC they have lost the ability to make memorable albums.

I think this is an inconsistent album, especially because of the vocal melodies and the excessive amount of notes without musical sense.

My favorite songs on this album are: A View from the Top of the World, Answering the Call and Awaken the Master. The rest seems very "forced" to me. I don't think it's DT's worst album anyway.

In any case I'am grateful that Petrucci has begun to abandon the Disney movie tunes that he composed for The Astonishing and the DOT.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #591 on: October 24, 2021, 04:56:30 PM »
It is difficult to listen to a DT album without remembering the masterpieces they have made. I think that since the SC they have lost the ability to make memorable albums.

I think this is an inconsistent album, especially because of the vocal melodies and the excessive amount of notes without musical sense.

My favorite songs on this album are: A View from the Top of the World, Answering the Call and Awaken the Master. The rest seems very "forced" to me. I don't think it's DT's worst album anyway.

In any case I'am grateful that Petrucci has begun to abandon the Disney movie tunes that he composed for The Astonishing and the DOT.

Which albums are 'memorable' to you? Also, it's a bit ironic when you compare your favorites with your criticism of excessive notes.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #592 on: October 24, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »
Hot take: This could actually be my favorite DT album since SFAM. It’s so consistent.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #593 on: October 24, 2021, 05:07:48 PM »
More listens in, I'd like to reiterate that I LOVE Answering the Call.

Agreed that it has as a bit of a These Walls vibe, in that it's a catchier number combining heavy riffing and great melodies. It truly feels like a cohesive song, and yet it has all sorts of cool twists and turns, both rhythmically and melodically.

Random cool bits:

- Love how JP previews some of the melodic themes at the beginning
- Pre-chorus vocal melody is real nice, and the variation the second time around is neat too
- The double bass pattern coming out of the second chorus is perfect - it really gets the song going
- More great vocal melodies in the bridge that follows, nicely complemented by the more straightforward ride cymbal drum pattern
- The unison leading back to the final chorus
- MM's ending

Good stuff!

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #594 on: October 24, 2021, 05:45:32 PM »
Regarding the solo in TT, I don’t really have a problem with the shredding solo so much, it’s the riff behind it.  The song is is this happy song in a major key and then, for the solo section, he suddenly goes into this dirge sounding, generic, circular riff that DT have used a million times.  It just doesn’t fit the song at all imo.  Other than that though, I think he has some really nice solos on the record.